Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Have you grown out of hardcore?
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 4

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
whittle1
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,191 posts

25 hardcore releases
whittle1 has donated money to the site whittle1 has attended 15 events
Posted - 2015/03/07 :  18:32:16  Show profile Send a private message
As i approach the age of 26, i find myself still loving hardcore music, perhaps more than ever. However, I think back to 10 years ago when I was 16, and all my friends loved it too. Now, they've all moved on and are into other stuff, mainly house music or another genre of dance.
So I'm just wondered if anyone else has fallen out of love with the scene, and why?

Alert moderator
wong
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,991 posts
Posted - 2015/03/07 :  18:36:59  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit wong's homepage
nope

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Jacco
Average Member

Unknown
166 posts
Posted - 2015/03/07 :  18:44:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Jacco's homepage
I'm turning 31 next week and can't see myself liking hardcore any less than 10 years ago. It's called HTID for a reason ;-)

Rawcous
Starting Member

United Kingdom
16 posts
Posted - 2015/03/07 :  18:57:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Rawcous's homepage
Yeah I have. rarely listen to new stuff these days. Not sure when or why it happened, just kinda did.

_Jay_
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,868 posts
_Jay_ has attended 41 events
Posted - 2015/03/07 :  20:25:39  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit _Jay_'s homepage

Dean's 59 and he's still droppin' beans and cuttin' shapes every weekend.

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2015/03/07 :  20:34:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2015/03/07 :  20:38:29  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
Some people just like it more than others. Those that don't like it as much as you will 'grow out' of it.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2015/03/08 14:01:41
Shades
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,189 posts
Posted - 2015/03/07 :  21:32:59  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Shades's homepage
hardcore is not the same as it once was, as it's always evolving, so there's always that aspect as well :)

Comrade_

United States
46 posts
Posted - 2015/03/07 :  21:33:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Comrade_'s homepage
If anyone here stopped listening to hardcore, I have a feeling they might move onto a different forum!

Alexbturbo

United Kingdom
113 posts
Posted - 2015/03/07 :  22:12:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Alexbturbo's homepage
I admit that in the last 2 years I've started listening more to Drum & Bass than I do Hardcore. I mainly blame CDJay and HU for that after I started listening to a lot of their breakbeat stuff a couple of years ago and it spiralled from there :hehe:

I still grab some hardcore releases that take my fancy and have the occasional stock up on the CD's put out by the likes of HU, TMM, etc, as quite a lot of what they put out is well worth a listen :)

I'm 35 this year and have followed lots of different genres over the years since I was 13 years old and started listening to Tony De Vit, so house, Hard House, NRG, etc.

I still enjoy going back and listening to the stuff from my youth (makes me feel old lol) as much as listening to the current Hardcore, Drum & Bass, etc :) Basically if it's good music I'm happy :)

Edited by - Alexbturbo on 2015/03/07 22:15:40
Vladel
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,514 posts
Posted - 2015/03/07 :  22:28:46  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Vladel's homepage
I find i go through phases to be honest. I got into hardcore in 1996 mainly due to a combination of heart of gold and the airhead smd remix. I would say those two tunes were responsible primarily (i used to listen to metallica before that, strange hey) for my move across the genres. I really liked dougal and Force & styles in the early days before settling on seduction as my dj of choice. around 1999 i got into mainstream dance/trance and a bit of scouse house and didn't return to listening to hardcore until early 2004. I kinda had a new love affair with the music that lasted well up to 2008 before i started looking at rock and metal again. I stuck around though for the next few years and 2010/2011 were enjoyable years but 2012 and the rise of dubcore nearly ended it for me.

Thankfully HU got their fingers out their arses and combined with powerstomp i fell in love with the music again to the point where i would even consider last year as possibly one of the best years ever behind 96/97/06/07. I guess what i'm saying is that many things can effect your love for the music and ultimately it doesn't matter what anyone thinks.

Here's something that really puts it into perspective for me, the other day at work i showed some tracks to a mate who hadn't listened to hardcore since 1999, paranoia didn't go down well, but he loved every time by Brisk & darwin so maybe it's time or maybe style, who knows but loving the tunes is nothing to be ashamed of!

Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,511 posts
Posted - 2015/03/07 :  22:37:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Guest's homepage
no, its what your gabber is for, you have alcoholic festival tents

https://soundcloud.com/for-all-those/hardcore-891-mix

and then cars and clubs

https://soundcloud.com/for-all-those/hardcore-892-mix-redo

you play the same tunes at both, just with a different style and more mixing skills

all be it, those mixes are abit crap, but you probably get the idea behind the mainstream stuff

Edited by - Guest on 2015/03/07 22:44:59
wong
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,991 posts
Posted - 2015/03/07 :  23:00:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit wong's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Vladel:

i used to listen to metallica before that, strange hey

Not really, i was all linkin park n similar stuff before i discovered hardcore

Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Triquatra is a site donation subscriber Triquatra has attended 26 events
Posted - 2015/03/08 :  00:09:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Hard2Get:
Those that never don't like it as much as you will 'grow out' of it.

quote of the year! :P

seriously though,

cliche but.....good music doesn't have a sell by date.
The music clearly either didn't go in the right direction for them, or didn't go in any direction at all for them and they got bored of hearing the same stuff. 10 years ago would put us around about 2005? makes sense really as it was around about 2006ish where I started to loose interest in the nu skool stuff.

of course there were still *outstanding* pieces coming through from different places, but the influx of chart rip-off-bootleg same synth touting same-same-core starting making it crazy hard to sift through to find enjoyable pieces.

whereas drum n bass started pooping out stuff from pendulum, matrix futurebound, dj fresh etc etc and had actually become exciting and new

Edited by - Triquatra on 2015/03/08 00:20:54
djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2015/03/08 :  00:43:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage
You mean drum & bass got commercial again ;-)

Hardcore has tried it, and no matter how 'accessible' it tries to be it still can't get that mainstream success. Not that I'm bothered, cos I like to be part of a small (ish) group.

I can feel myself slowly winding down. I'll always have an interest in the music and where it goes in the future but I'm definitely going to less events and getting less interested in the 'scene' as a whole.

Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Triquatra is a site donation subscriber Triquatra has attended 26 events
Posted - 2015/03/08 :  01:49:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by djDMS:
You mean drum & bass got commercial again ;-)

again?!

though on this I can feign ignorance; because I was in the states at the time and what goes on in the UK as to the US is much like the scenes of peril involving Jed and Octavious in Night At The Museum as shown in this really really really really really REALLY poor quality youtube video

Where the air out of the tire is DnB and Jed/Octavious repping UK and Europe - and the cut scene being the US.

long story short, yes. But until then it apart from the artcore/liquid stuff of the 90s, it generally hadn't really been very palatable.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 4 pages long: 1  2  3  4
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.53 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page