Printer friendly
Page: 
of 5

Author Thread  
Vladel
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,514 posts
Posted - 2016/06/05 :  07:41:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Vladel's homepage  Reply with quote
I don't think pig face counts as happy

Alert moderator Go to top of page
jordesuvi

United Kingdom
143 posts
jordesuvi has attended 4 events
Posted - 2016/06/05 :  08:16:13  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit jordesuvi's homepage  Reply with quote
For a while, I thought the termed coined by Rhythmics "Hardcore Rave" was an appropriate name for the updated modern sound, but it never quite caught on as much as I hoped.

With a collection of influential producers, promoters and labels (Gammer, Nanobii, Darren, TWR, Porter Robinson, Audien, Vau Boy, S3RL, Monstercat, XKito etc) calling the genre Happy Hardcore, I figure since that's essentially what the genre is, I'm content in calling it that.
On the whole, I think it makes a perfect umbrella term so that the non-elitists of the genre can simply identify what they're listening to easier.

I mean, if we were to get unnecessarily technical about it, I'd have it:
1990 - 1999 = Happy Hardcore/Breakbeat Hardcore (depending on the song)
2000 - 2011 = UK Hardcore
2012 - ____ = Hardcore Rave

But then it has me wonder, why has the genre's name got to change every time the sound updates.
Trance, Electro House, Dubstep, Deep House and other genres have had a few new coats of paint in their time and have never felt the need to rename themselves.

Edited by - jordesuvi on 2016/06/05 08:19:54
arpz
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,267 posts
arpz has attended 22 events
Posted - 2016/06/05 :  08:20:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit arpz's homepage  Reply with quote
It probably should've stayed as 'happy hardcore/hardcore' but it didn't and because of that not reasonable to return to something that describes the old style in the minds of everyone

kotu

United Kingdom
401 posts
Posted - 2016/06/05 :  12:09:07  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit kotu's homepage  Reply with quote
How about to resolve this we call hardcore this from now on.........

ON-AND-OFF SOMETIMES-IN-SHEDS AND IN-UFOS BRAS-OFF NO-SPEAKERS

Edited by - kotu on 2016/06/05 21:25:39
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2016/06/06 :  07:57:48  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage  Reply with quote
Blandcore?

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

ViolonC
Average Member

Germany
243 posts
ViolonC has attended 2 events
Posted - 2016/06/06 :  09:42:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit ViolonC's homepage  Reply with quote
UK Hardcore doesn't work anymore. (If you can't see why you are probably from the UK ) Just Hardcore has the overlap with it's dutch brother.
Happy Hardcore is essentially what the music is. It's the name of it's roots and in comparison to the dutch style it's pretty obviously happy.

kotu

United Kingdom
401 posts
Posted - 2016/06/06 :  15:07:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit kotu's homepage  Reply with quote
So that's 2 in agreement anyone else?

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Posted - 2016/06/06 :  15:26:34  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage  Reply with quote
copying this from Si Thompson:
quote:

This is what I see it as..

Acid House - 1987-1990
Hardcore - 1990-1992
Jungle/Breakbeat Hardcore 1993-1995
Happy Hardcore - 1995-1999
UK Hardcore 1999/00 -

My timeline of things:
Jungle/Breakbeat Hardcore 1993-1995
Happy Hardcore 1995-2000 ("Scott Brown Happy Hardcore" 1995-2001)
Upfront Hardcore 2001-2006
UK Hardcore 2005-

I'm still reluctant to call it Happy Hardcore, but it's true that the sound has changed alot since the beginning of 2000, but back in 2002-2006 they called it Upfront by a few :P
To me, as long as it resembles the stuff from after "crash of the millenium", it's UK Hardcore. Kinda like Rock music from the 80's is still categorised with Rock from the 2000's.

Edited by - Samination on 2016/06/06 15:28:23
kotu

United Kingdom
401 posts
Posted - 2016/06/06 :  16:03:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit kotu's homepage  Reply with quote

I don't see what anyone's problem with it being UK hardcore is.

If I was making dutch gabba I would say I was making dutch gabba. Simple as that lol

Confused really

CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2016/06/06 :  23:57:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage  Reply with quote
I try to rarely go on record, but this is probably a moment where it's worth it.

"Happy Hardcore" is a good title; for the moment at least. It's what the Europeans will call it, it's what the North Americans want to refer to it as, it's what Japan knows it as along with.... well as the entire of Australasia.

The irony, here, is that it was originally abandoned as an attempt to make the genre look "grown up"; as if it has out grown it's silly origins and was now a credible thing borne from borderline comedic origin. This would last a whole lot longer, in my mind, if what followed was half as self-identifiable and assured as what actually followed. Yes, I know a lot of people (looking at you, Elliot ) seem to think that the mid to late noughties was a golden era. I, personally, think things went skewwhiff around the mid noughties when the idea of chasing commercial success and diluting the genre for a pay check/acclaim/mass market acceptance was in some way laudable or longevity laced. It wasn't; the simplification of musical content in a "loudness war" against ourselves; the cheap lazy remixes of anything licensable with a name attached.... Christ we should look longingly at the days of borderline ironic covers without autotune. We lost what we were, are, and could be.

Fast forward, past the wondrous handling of "dub core" and we land in an era where suddenly the tag has worth and relevance. I know, from various chats and confabs with long standing influential industries luminaries, that a lot of people who grew up with and entered the industry alongside our all-you-can-eat bake sale actually view the 90s with far less of a snidey attitude than many in our ranks. Some who previously scorned the roots of genre now want to ride on the recently resurrected coattails of near extinct beasts as they have horns the poachers apparently want or at least might.

Ultimately; who actually gives a crap what it's called? As long as it's something genuinely distinct, an actual scene with a sense of self worth, it wouldn't matter. The mere fact there is any debate shows where we're actually at. Chasing guest appearances at a party we're desperate to get an invite to, rather than thinking we can orchestrate a better one.

I'll call it "happy hardcore", as it suits my purpose and I have a plan. Difference is I take that title, the legacy and borderline punk ethos it implies, seriously. Any takers?

CDJay

arpz
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,267 posts
arpz has attended 22 events
Posted - 2016/06/07 :  05:58:29  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit arpz's homepage  Reply with quote
This is literally hardcores brexit.

Your metaphor game is strong CDJay...

Let's go back two years and assume that we'd already all decided that we're 'in' and that all future UK Hardcore is 'happy hardcore'. HU are about to release the long awaited compilation, smiley face artwork has been commissioned, the updated tracks are ready, what is it called?

Thinking about this, I've realised, I never even use the term 'happy hardcore' to describe any of it, ever. I usually just say 95 hardcore or whatever. Maybe I'll just go back to sitting on the fence and moaning less.

CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2016/06/07 :  09:06:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage  Reply with quote
It's hard to tell what we'd have called that project, if the genre around it was still titled "happy hardcore" but I'm guessing something like "classics" "retro" would have wormed in there....

Obviously we titled the album series/label/company "Hardcore" Underground, and I *personally* probably wouldn't have gone with the "Happy" prefix then or indeed until recently but.... things change. Right now it's fairly apparent that the UK side of things is.... difficult. There are rifts, politics, entrenched opinions aplenty. There's far too much reverence for the recent past, and we're absolutely letting that negatively influence any potential future. Things in our little corner of industry may have been driven primarily by UK artists/djs/labels/albums until now, but it's the global market that is where the future lies IMO. Rather than tagging it all "UK" as a differentiator, we're better off claiming a tag that makes sense in that market. It really doesn't have the negative connotations even I had always assumed.....

CDJay

Edited by - CDJay on 2016/06/07 09:10:25
kotu

United Kingdom
401 posts
Posted - 2016/06/07 :  09:26:41  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit kotu's homepage  Reply with quote
Well said CDjay. Now admit that my idea is better

CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2016/06/07 :  09:36:46  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage  Reply with quote
Personally I'd far rather go with your idea, but external factors force my hand.

Hell, before "Trancecore", Freeform was briefly called "Kenneth"

CDJay

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Posted - 2016/06/07 :  11:00:25  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage  Reply with quote
ROFL, KEnneth after who or waht? :P

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 5 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.94 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page