Radio listeners 165+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Uk Hardcore and Dutch Gabber Scenes

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
ravekutz Could these two scenes be anymore different. Uk hardcore seems to embrace happiness or embrace really twised crazy energetic sounds. While the Dutch scene seems to Embrace pure anger and hardness. Uk scene loves female vocals and dancers while it's pretty much unheard of almost for any female influence in the Gabber scene.
Ones all smiley faces and the other is all skulls. Kinda strange that they are both called hardcore when they are so different.
simdog well they arn't both called hardcore one is hardcore and the other is happy hardcore
Smoogie Both had better sounding stuff in the '90s imo...
simdog nah i much prefer the new stuff.
warped_candykid
quote:
Originally posted by ravekutz:
Could these two scenes be anymore different. Uk hardcore seems to embrace happiness or embrace really twised crazy energetic sounds. While the Dutch scene seems to Embrace pure anger and hardness. Uk scene loves female vocals and dancers while it's pretty much unheard of almost for any female influence in the Gabber scene.
Ones all smiley faces and the other is all skulls. Kinda strange that they are both called hardcore when they are so different.

Dude...the Dutch was the basis for Happy Hardcore back in the early 90s! "Rainbow In The Sky", "Rainbow Islands", "Happy Generation", "Children of the Night", etc. the anthems go on and on! The Dutch/German was total cheese!!!!
tru bass Korsakoff is a female gabber artist, she is quite a famous name aswell.
Smoogie
quote:
Originally posted by warped_candykid:
Dude...the Dutch was the basis for Happy Hardcore back in the early 90s! "Rainbow In The Sky", "Rainbow Islands", "Happy Generation", "Children of the Night", etc. the anthems go on and on! The Dutch/German was total cheese!!!!

Happy Gabber is some of the best stuff ever made!
GoBeserk i love the dutch scene
it has that complete 'f*** you' atitude the uk scene lacks
the uk scene is brilliant dont get me wrong we have some amazing hardcore producers
but cmon... its hardly the evilness of nosferatu, evil activites, ophidian is it...
RoyalDutch as a born in the 90s dutch gabber i can tell you, it all started in rotterdam with the oldschool, that transvered into happy hardcore and later in to the hardcore we know today and many other styles like frenchcore, speedcore, terror hardcore, hardstyle, jumpstyle and so on, go and listen to dj paul elstak one of the founders of gabber and still making music today you will find a complete timeline and transition from the early dutch rave scene till fresh bangers of today and will understand the music and my culture even better
Guest its just a shame its not dutch gabber, its just hardcore worldwide, it is why uk hardcore is called uk hardcore or happy hardcore, they are 2 different scenes

mainstream gabber became hardcore worldwide in 2007 when nu skool kicks came along i invented with all the layering of bass frequencies from the low/mid/high - they are not just a kick with some lame distortion put ontop, its better, you can mix it better, you can do alot more with it, and it has sub bass, which all big scenes need

there are plenty of tracks with vocals in hardcore

it is also why uk hardcore is dead, and hardcore has

tomorrowland being the only festival not dedicated to hardcore... and a 1000 others and other festivals that are dedicated to hardcore

and uk hardcore has westfest

its like blud, if you make tracks or just a gangsta Dj, the netherlands are where the pro's play, just like house an ibiza
DJ A.K. Yep, I wish there was still something inbetween tbh like in the ninties when we had Bouncy techno which was the best of both worlds.
I find the new dutch stuff can be too OTT and only ok in small doses while the UK stuff can be too fluffy sometimes and I just wish it would be a bit harder/darker.
Obviously there are tracks that bridge the gap and blend the styles but they aren't as common and you have to search them out.
Smoogie
quote:
Originally posted by DJ A.K.:
Yep, I wish there was still something inbetween tbh like in the ninties when we had Bouncy techno which was the best of both worlds.
I find the new dutch stuff can be too OTT and only ok in small doses while the UK stuff can be too fluffy sometimes and I just wish it would be a bit harder/darker.
Obviously there are tracks that bridge the gap and blend the styles but they aren't as common and you have to search them out.

There was some Freeform which bridged the gap slightly. You had harder kicks like the old Gabber but also the more euphoric edge borrowed from UK Hardcore. Stuff like Robbie Long, Stormtrooper, Devastate, Marc Smith ect
quote:
Originally posted by Smoogie:
quote:
Yep, I wish there was still something inbetween tbh like in the ninties when we had Bouncy techno which was the best of both worlds.

There was some Freeform which bridged the gap slightly. You had harder kicks like the old Gabber but also the more euphoric edge borrowed from UK Hardcore. Stuff like Robbie Long, Stormtrooper, Devastate, Marc Smith ect

you either are or you ain't, no chicken shit inbetween

nothing has changed, in clubs and most events, except the kick, then you get refixes to update the kick in the shops

Thumpa Yeah there's about 45,000 people at a rave difference.

You could trace European stuff back to Belgian techno, 'We Have Arrived' and Euromasters, whereas UK rave music can be traced back to acid house, and even disco and northern soul before that. Well worth looking into where the 2 scenes overlapped, dance music history is very rich and rewarding if you want a history lesson.
DJ A.K. There is also a music snobbery in the UK where any kick drum music over 150bpm is instantly looked down upon were as in Europe its just normal and accepted.
I feel thats why some in the uk producers tone it down a bit and try to blend it with other more excepted styles.
Guest ----
quote:
There is also a music snobbery in the UK where any kick drum music over 150bpm is instantly looked down upon were as in Europe its just normal and accepted.
I feel thats why some in the uk producers tone it down a bit and try to blend it with other more excepted styles.

the whole point is to keep the middleclass out, they goto a hardstyle/hardcore event, they will run away calling everyone chavs and scum, and just get laughed at and told to **** off, 2 scenes that won't die because of them sad ****ers

the middleclass largin eeet

chavs scum and loosers largin eeet

Craigavon raver
quote:
There is also a music snobbery in the UK where any kick drum music over 150bpm is instantly looked down upon were as in Europe its just normal and accepted.

True lad, hardcore is to fast and hard for most people, its the same in Ireland, but I remember years ago when happy hardcore was massive , there was loads of dj's over here playing it, intelligence records releasing tape after tape, the amount of clubs playing it , all the big british dj's coming over here, even in the 2000's the amount of clubs over here and used to have the planet love festival every year as well, for all different types of edm as well as hardcore, now theres hardly nothing just a pity i was to young in the 90's when it was really happening

Happy hardcore rules the world!
Craigavon raver
quote:
Originally posted by RoyalDutch:
as a born in the 90s dutch gabber i can tell you, it all started in rotterdam with the oldschool, that transvered into happy hardcore and later in to the hardcore we know today and many other styles like frenchcore, speedcore, terror hardcore, hardstyle, jumpstyle and so on, go and listen to dj paul elstak one of the founders of gabber and still making music today you will find a complete timeline and transition from the early dutch rave scene till fresh bangers of today and will understand the music and my culture even better

Well was the same in the uk scene with dj's like slipmatt who have been at the start of the rave scene in the uk and the music has evolved from old skool, happy hardcore, upfront. uk hardcore or whatever you want to call it, and theres so many different styles of hardcore in both the uk scene and european scene
Mental_Adam Think the dutch stuff was rather popular around 1994 to 1996 time. Think it was a big thing in popular culture over there with the gabber etc.

Had lot of commercial hits in top. 10, DJ Paul Elstak, Charly Lownoise & Mental Theo were regular in the charts in nl. Even the more underground stuff was probably popular through the masses of compilations what were out over there. Thunderdome obviously your most well known.

Think even the dutch stuff had sort of success even in Germany to around the time.

Guest it still is popular, its the worldwide hardcore scene and why uk hardcore is called uk hardcore around the world

if you make tracks, the netherlands is the pro dj circuit

to poor to afford good movies since

loads more, nobody cares for terror, speedcore, uptempo, frenchcore, etc etc etc ********
Guest how it rolls, on a PA system, 2 hard for the middleclass and all the crybabies that make it into uk hardcore that will never happen

Sc@r not all hardcore is evil and skulls
i also play a bit of hardcore and often drop it in my ukhardcore sets as well.
i have a few mixes on line of mainstream hardcore. alots of vocals and riffs. but there are all styles of hardcore out there as well as ukhardcore some of it is megga cheesey and others is not lol. just have to look for what you like and what appeals to you

Guest your playing exactly the same tunes that are on all the main stages at all the festivals and events around europe

uptempo etc have 10 people in a tent out back, nobody cares for it anywhere
Thumpa The uptempo arena at Thunderdome had about 5000 people in it and the Tunnel Of Terror had 2000 in it you daft ****, uptempo is the most popular sound in Holland at the minute.
Guest its no where near the most popular music at the moment, infront of main stage of big events and festivals will be 40,000 people, except master of hardcore, then its 10,000

everything in holland will die, and go back to the way it was in no time, if uptempo took over and go back to this overnight

Sulphurik So how do describe the genre that Darren Styles and Tweekacore are playing in this Defqon.1 video? For me they are more UK hardcore than hardstyle. Influences from hardstyle but more hardcore sounding.

These are the ones I'd say are UK hardcore.

02. Paul Elstak - Luv U More (Tweekacore x Gammer Flip)
03. Darren Styles & Re-Con ft. Matthew Steeper - Rest of Your Life
06. Eiffel 65 - Blue (Team Tweekacore Mix)
07. Darren Styles - Come Running (2017 Edit)
08. Tweekacore - Ready 4 The Tweekend
09. Sander Van Doorn, Martin Garrix, DVBBS - Gold Skies (Darren Styles & Dougal Remix)
10. Tweekacore & Darren Styles - Partystarter (160 Mix)
11. Darren Styles - The Dragon
12. Da Tweekaz & Darren Styles - Heroes (2017 Edit)
13. Code Black & Atmozfears - Accelerate (Darren Styles Remix)
14. Da Tweekaz - Frozen (Tweekacore Flip)
15. Darren Styles - Us Against The World
Sulphurik What's your thoughts on these tracks in the mix?

What's your thoughts on Darren Styles - Dragon? Sounds good.
Guest its just reverse bass hardstyle, 99% of what the uk hardstyle scene is, dutch hardstyle is as boring as it gets

Guest the uk hardstyle scene, with everyone who used to post on here and USH in the playlists on the mixes https://www.youtube.com/user/DJMKN93
Smoogie
quote:
Originally posted by Sulphurik:
What's your thoughts on these tracks in the mix?

What's your thoughts on Darren Styles - Dragon? Sounds good.

I like Love You More but that is based on Paul Elstak's version which is always a classic! The rest of it is not my thing really
Smoogie
quote:
Originally posted by Guest:
its just reverse bass hardstyle, 99% of what the uk hardstyle scene is, dutch hardstyle is as boring as it gets

I love how a video used two girls as click bait!
DJIntensity Female vocals in a hardcore tune go well I say the likes of Angel Eyez, Fran etc.
quote:
quote:
its just reverse bass hardstyle, 99% of what the uk hardstyle scene is, dutch hardstyle is as boring as it gets

I love how a video used two girls as click bait!

chicks go with the pimped cars, rocking the radio show with the cleche tracks alnight

https://youtu.be/dNM_43fQIo8?t=22m17s

Smoogie
quote:

chicks go with the pimped cars, rocking the radio show with the cleche tracks alnight

https://youtu.be/dNM_43fQIo8?t=22m17s

This is more my type of woman!

Guest anime is the fly, charmed her talking about cables in the comments, im that smooth

now she has new cables, and alot better bass and sound quality

don't **** with the master mind
Smoogie
quote:
anime is the fly, charmed her talking about cables in the comments, im that smooth

now she has new cables, and alot better bass and sound quality

don't **** with the master mind

Good mixing from her there. At first I was expecting some 'bubble-gum pop' type stuff but instead she was playing hard Gabber/ Hardstyle
Guest she's a superstar, the dj to book for uk hardcore events, if you don't want a rubbish homo set

she can even make christmas good

Sulphurik
quote:
Originally posted by GoBeserk:
i love the dutch scene
it has that complete 'f*** you' atitude the uk scene lacks
the uk scene is brilliant dont get me wrong we have some amazing hardcore producers
but cmon... its hardly the evilness of nosferatu, evil activites, ophidian is it...

The Uk scene doesn't need that attitude.

The UK scene has always been the happier side of hardcore but not always. There have been various styles in the UK which are darker and harder similar to the Dutch hardcore/ gabber sound.

Sulphurik 90s Hardcore / Gabber Blind Test Prequel Exchange

Sulphurik I do like the sound of some of the old Ruffneck style tunes from Ruffneck himself and some of the other artists. I liked back then when they used the heavier kickdrums and the juno synth riffs and also the breakbeats worked well in many tracks.

This sounds a really good classic from the Trickster & Undercover Anarchist

Sulphurik
Like sound of the synth in this one also

I like the energy in this track
dj_excy
quote:
Both had better sounding stuff in the '90s imo...

Agree!!
dj_excy This Does it for me!!

Sulphurik Dutch hardcore/gabber is a style of hardcore have listened to or have tried to get into in the past. Yeah there's some tracks I've liked the sound of but there's larger number of tracks I don't like the sound of.

There are tracks that musically sound good but they could have sounded even better for different reasons eg. sound good musically but then inclusion of unnecessary vocal samples/ explicit samples. tracks that have alot of distortion on the kickdrums which were unnecessary in my opinion. Could have sounded much better with less distortion. Melodies could have sounded much better including the screech synth ones with distortion and very repetitive and ones with not much of a melody which I'm not fan of.

The older gabber tracks had more percussion (hi hats, breakbeat etc) along with the kick which worked well such as in Ruffneck Records tracks. Gabber sound towards end of the 90s seemed to remove percussion elements completely. They gave tracks less energy in my opinion. Wasn't particularly keen on the sound of kicks in late 90s.

For me kickdrums have to be lower tone sounding so not a fan of the high pitch kicks around in alot of tracks these days.

Sulphurik This style I like sound of - like kickdrum style and the different tone kick stabs I like

I like majority of this remix below but not a fan of the over distorted kicks in various parts throughout the track

Sulphurik I liked this style from Tha Playah & Tommyknocker back then, cool melodies aswell as the cool kickdrum and some good rap vocal samples - minus a few expletive ones.

cools Big fan of what's being put out via Rapture Records, it's a blend of everything I've loved across hardcore over the years, and I kind of think had the UK scene gone this way back at the millennium I'd still have been into it. :)

Sulphurik Since the 90s Dutch hardcore/gabber has been a very popular hard dance genre especially in Europe mainly Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Italy. It's a style that has changed in style various times. When a new sound did emerge it did seem that when some artists started the new style that others would change their style to produce the new one.

It's a style that despite it being successful and having a large following, I do think at times the quality of tracks could have been much better. So if the standard of tracks had been higher, there could have been an even larger following. I guess it is a style that you like the style of the tracks or you don't. I don't listen to the current style. Have liked the style of some of the genre mainly the Millenium style from the 2000s. Some of the early hardcore from around 1994 or 1995 was quite good but the style in the late 90s I wasn't keen on.
jenks Frenchcore will merge the scenes. UK producers need to get on it tbh.

Sulphurik Representing the Netherlands at Eurovision 2024. Keep listening to later on in the track - there's a great Dutch happy hardcore part but doesn't last long enough (after 2 minutes)

It took 2.19 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page