Radio listeners 182+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Web site suggestions & site problems
 Random text getting englarged

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Josephson_Junction It doesn't seem to be a major problem but I'm running into a quirk where text on the forum becomes randomly big. Here's what I mean:
http://i.imgur.com/6vNWn.png

Here it is again:
http://i.imgur.com/geyHS.png

CSS problem? I'm running Opera 12.00 by the way.
silver Weird, it's nothing we are doing.
wong its a conspiracy, cruelcore and samination are trying to take over happyhardcore.com
whispering Using Opera too, its been like that for over a year now.
Samination I have never noticed that, but then I never use Opera (only on my smartphone).

and wong.. ssssh it's a secret!
silver hmmm we don't use a ton of CSS, that actually might be the issue? is it truely random where it happens or usually the same place? or samination?
Josephson_Junction
quote:
Originally posted by silver:
hmmm we don't use a ton of CSS, that actually might be the issue? is it truely random where it happens or usually the same place? or samination?

It seems to be random, and only happens when viewing the forum (not the threads, etc.).
whispering Random as Josephson said. Its usually the forum page: http://www.happyhardcore.com/forums/
silver Just opera? what version? any?
whispering
quote:
Originally posted by silver:
Just opera? what version? any?

I've always used the latest version (12.00 at the moment). I checked yesterday from the sourcecode tool in Opera the page that did that, and the text height and all were normal (in the code). So i think this might be a bug in Opera. Haven't noticed it in any other browser.
silver It seems like a bug in Opera but I don't understand why it only happens on our site.
whispering Never had this many parts enlarged:

Samination I wish people who gets this error would save the page (and CSS).
Only time i've seen something similar is when using nested quotes. This only seem to happen if there's atleast 4 nested quotes

quote:
quote:
Test
Test
Test

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Test
Test
Test
Test
Test

In Firefox, this text (and the last Test outside the quotes) are different font size than the rest.

The reason seems to be that the forum scripts envelopes the text with a <font size="1"> ... </font> tag, while a nested quoteblock of atleast 4 quotes breaks out of it and then uses the CSS's font settings. Just like the broken Links, the text afterwords are just the same.
DJ Hellfury
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
In Firefox, this text (and the last Test outside the quotes) are different font size than the rest.

Yeah, same case in chrome aswell
Hard2Get It happens to me in posts. To a much lesser extreme (text in one persons post will be maybe one size bigger than another. I use firefox. It has happened on the main page before i think but not for years.
DJ D-Luc-D It's happened to me before, but not recently. I use Safari on my mac and my iPad :P
Phobz Hmmm

That could be part of the reason - I think it's repeating.

Edit: Hang on I just noticed there is 2 font tags in the same section. One saying size=2 then later a new <font...> appears with size=1. That's certainly not correct.
Phobz

After checking this again just now it's changed. Maybe they get bigger with the last few posts. I think it's something to do with the end tags though.
silver You can point all you like at the HTML the forum core was built when HTML 3 was standard and in a hurry so it is not the best, but I dont have time to re-write it.
Samination so HTML3 allowed tags without ending tags, except for list?
DJ Hellfury Isnt it possible to select a few trustworthy members on here to fix some code issues after server backups were made?
Phobz I agree with Hellfury... a find and replace would be a quick fix.
silver Firstly the entire forum / site needs to be CCS-ized, tables changed to DIVs and most of the code minimized, it is a massive massive task.

Any takers?
DJ Hellfury would be great is 2 guys work on this one but if noone feels fit enough we may can hire professionals to rebuild forum based on crowdfunding.
Phobz I'd be willing to give it a go - i've set up a forum the same way before but it wasn't easy or a short task. The only thing is i've not used asp before only php but the only things I will really be changing is tables etc and getting them to run as divs so I won't really need to touch coding just where the tags surrounding the variables / arrays are. I'll just be careful - I could either run it locally on my server but I would need access to the sql table (even if it's just a few results) or just copy all the files into a new folder on your server and work from there. So I'm not interrupting the site while it's being modified.

I'm just assuming this would be doing an exact replica of how the site is now? This problem seems to be happening on the forums... is this just the forum we are going to css-ize? I think I could manage that but the whole website that may be a bit too much?
DJ Hellfury I would say only forum atm. since silver added blogs, news and even an own shop over the years.

Silver should send you all needed data to you after he made a backup and you show him the results / changes when you are done on your own server.
silver Before I show any code to anyone, people would need to show they have the skills to pay the bills. The code I've written here is quite advanced ASP, using classes and more recently AJAX.

I have developed better code for other projects (work) so we might be able to impletment that, it uses templates and other sexy things.

The code on the site represents years of my own time, so the person would really have to know their shit.

One thing about custom software is that it's harder to hack and spambot because we represent one site and not millions like wordpress or something like that. On the flip side... you have to make everything yourself!
Samination do you feel insulted if someone who knows less can fix it or something? =P

Anyways, I have no skills in ASP. but in the end, what does ASP itself have aything to do with fixing HTML tags?
DJ Hellfury Unlikely, I guess his last post was referring to his plans of optimizing forum code not just fixing some "simple tag bugs". I do understand his worries about giving away code lines to amateurs since he made everything by himself on quite a good level - it's just something like a lifetime project - but wouldnt it be quite a relief to handout some simple code bits to trustworthy people while you are busy with the greater stuff?

silver
quote:

what does ASP itself have aything to do with fixing HTML tags?

The HTML is dynamically created by the code so you will at least need to know what is going on.

More to the point if people are interested they would have to show what they have done before or proof they know what they are doing.
DJ Hellfury Any update on this "selecting skilled programmers"-task?

Got a new smartphone this year and this random text enlargement happens on firefox's current android version.
Samination and in no way did HTML3 allow end tags to have options to them :P who ever programmed or modified the forum where lazy

It took 1.45 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page