Radio listeners 190+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 How do I mix old stuff into new stuff

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Connormgs I was asked to play at a con in November, they want me to play old shit and new shit. How on earth do I go from 90s happy hardcore to modern stuff?
silver It will be hard to go from 90's to modern in one hit (well at least with it not sounding strange), but if you pick a song by the year, and slowly increase by year you should be able to do it

Or you could mix like this :)
warped_candykid I mean, it shouldn't be too hard. Sy & Unknown did it on Original Hardcore Vol. 1. There will be a difference in sound, but if they are asking for older tunes, they should be aware of the difference in production sounds.
latininxtc yea it's not hard at all a good number of mixes do it successfully. How long is your set? the longer the set, the easier it is.
Vladel one of the hardcore nation cds from around 2004 - 2005 has bang cloudy daze (97) mixed into still the one (2004) and it sounds awesome.
Brian K you want a real challenge, start in '91 and finish in 2000+
wong
quote:
Originally posted by Brian K:
you want a real challenge, start in '91 and finish in 2000+

I did a mix like that, thought i did really well. Then i listened back to it. It was shit
Samination I have a bigger problem mixing older tracks with eachother than from new to old (or vice versa) :P
Audio Warfare It shouldn't be a problem really as long as your levels are right and you use a couple of tracks that blend really nicely. Just bare in mind that modern tracks are mastered much louder so pull the gain back a bit and tweak it up afterwards where you can. Could always use one of the modern Happy Hardcore tracks by Darwin or someone as a bridge to make it easier too.
Mortis It's easy enough. Just do like Silver said and try to follow the years as the music evolved and won't be so drastically different from one track to another. Use late 90's tracks from the likes of Quest, Hixxy, Scott Brown, Trixxy and the later Force & Styles tracks to bridge the gap between the old and the newer style. Then onto the early Dougal & Gammer, Raver Baby and early '00's Quosh tracks to get more modern, and so on.
_Jay_
quote:
Originally posted by wong:
I did a mix like that, thought i did really well. Then i listened back to it. It was shit

LOL.
Samination
quote:
Originally posted by Audio Warfare:
It shouldn't be a problem really as long as your levels are right and you use a couple of tracks that blend really nicely. Just bare in mind that modern tracks are mastered much louder so pull the gain back a bit and tweak it up afterwards where you can. Could always use one of the modern Happy Hardcore tracks by Darwin or someone as a bridge to make it easier too.

tracks like scott brown's 2000 stuff usually works great as a transitions. But I think it depends on if you like to make quick track changes or like to play out the tracks
wong
quote:
Originally posted by _Jay_:
quote:
Originally posted by wong:

LOL.

Warnman To my opinion the biggest problem (I'm no DJ!!!) in mixing New School and Old School is that a lot of tracks havn't been released what you'd probably call "DJ-friendly" including long intros and outros. But the DJs in the past have solved this problem by simply doing quick and radical transitions into the following tracks without a long period of teasing moments. It should be practicable! NekoShuffle was able to do handle this as well...
djchexmixer
quote:
Originally posted by Warnman:
To my opinion the biggest problem (I'm no DJ!!!) in mixing New School and Old School is that a lot of tracks havn't been released what you'd probably call "DJ-friendly" including long intros and outros. But the DJs in the past have solved this problem by simply doing quick and radical transitions into the following tracks without a long period of teasing moments. It should be practicable! NekoShuffle was able to do handle this as well...

That's good advice. Think outside the box of traditional intro/outro mixing.

The other problem I find is difference in sound between the older and newer songs, particularly the kick drums.

If I'm mixing into an older from from a newer song, I tend to never kill the lower frequencies of the newer song, or I lower the lows just slightly. Then when we get to the break down of the older song, I can bring up the lows and adjust the EQ accordingly.
ultraskool I think it' should be interesting to try mixing old stuff into new stuff - not the remixes they made for tunes like "Shooting Star" , any of Force and styles tunes. but like the beats will be noticeably different
Samination
quote:
To my opinion the biggest problem (I'm no DJ!!!) in mixing New School and Old School is that a lot of tracks havn't been released what you'd probably call "DJ-friendly" including long intros and outros. But the DJs in the past have solved this problem by simply doing quick and radical transitions into the following tracks without a long period of teasing moments. It should be practicable! NekoShuffle was able to do handle this as well...

say what? Most of my older tracks has ridicioulsy longer intros and outros compared to alot of newer
Captain Triceps
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
quote:

say what? Most of my older tracks has ridicioulsy longer intros and outros compared to alot of newer

I were wondering about that too, most new tracks have very short intros compared to the older days of hardcore. In fact more are available as 'radio edit' now then there ever were, unless you're counting those commercial rave anthems CDs on Ministry of Sound and the like.
If you mean UK/happy hardcore then there have always been mixable intros, at least in the vast (VAST!!) majority of cases.

Warnman
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Triceps:
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
quote:

I were wondering about that too, most new tracks have very short intros compared to the older days of hardcore. In fact more are available as 'radio edit' now then there ever were, unless you're counting those commercial rave anthems CDs on Ministry of Sound and the like.
If you mean UK/happy hardcore then there have always been mixable intros, at least in the vast (VAST!!) majority of cases.

Yes, I was talking regarding my to my definition of old-school which was very commercial. I know that NekoShuffle had mentioned the same problem with such radio edits or even the extended mixes in the past.
Connormgs
quote:
Originally posted by latininxtc:
yea it's not hard at all a good number of mixes do it successfully. How long is your set? the longer the set, the easier it is.

One hour.

It took 1.14 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page