Radio listeners 174+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 General discussion
 World Cup 2014

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Elipton

The World Cup is nearly here!

So what teams are we backing? I imagine there're a few England fans here! Some United States fans, some dream-crushing Germans, some cheating Argentines, some repetitive Portugese!

Let's be 'avin ya! What teams are you following, what players are you rooting and what do you make of draws and results :) I hope we can chat about it all here :)

I'll start off by saying I hate Rooney, and I hope that he's dropped once and for all.

latininxtc Well England, US, and Germany definitely won't win. Germany always comes to the World Cups as a favorite to win, but they do what they do best, choke.

I hear Spain and France have been looking good.

What I will be most excited about this World Cup is seeing all the mess that is currently happening with the preparations, as well as upcoming protests, strikes, and even potential security issues during the games. Crime is extremely high in many Brazilian cities, and it looks like the players are being told to restrict their downtime to only heavily touristed areas, or face potential mugging or even kidnapping. Hell some of the stadiums aren't even ready, which means they won't have time to do a test run to determine if the seating is fully capable of sustaining the weight of the crowd.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/brazil-last-minute-rush-ready-world-cup-153539955--finance.html
The drunken scotsman I'll be backing the team who's playing England :-D

Na, not really fussed to be honest. As long as the games are good il enjoy watching whoever. Don't have any predictions as I don't pay much attention to international football. Brazil must be in with a shout though.
latininxtc I'm shocked at the lack of responses to this topic. You brits are the ones obsessed with this sport I would have expected a lot of feedback!
wong Belgium
don_simon3000 i dont care that much about soccer. will watch the finals and semi maybe, thats all. if i had to pick a favorite i wud say brazil.
djDMS I haven't even started to get excited about it yet which is a bit strange for me.

There are loads of teams looking pretty good this time round so I'm hoping for a really good tournament.
Elipton I don't care about troubles they're having. I only really care about on the pitch events.

I think England look decent. Certainly better in shape than Italy.

Love a good bit of football! Going to be awesome! Hopefully the USA and the filthy Argentines get humiliated
latininxtc
quote:
Originally posted by Elipton:
I don't care about troubles they're having. I only really care about on the pitch events.

I think England look decent. Certainly better in shape than Italy.

Love a good bit of football! Going to be awesome! Hopefully the USA and the filthy Argentines get humiliated

lol don't worry USA always delivers disappointment. I love how the people here rally up just every 4 years for soccer and once the World Cup is gone they forget it even exists. Just like the Olympic games. I don't actually keep up with soccer internationally or nationally all that well, but I know well enough that the USA will never be a serious contender internationally because we just don't back up our program like other nations do.

I'll only be interested in watching the semi-finals and the finals, as well as their opening ceremony. Should be interesting to see what they do for that.
Shades I've seen too many world cups to get excited before hand....
thing is..... i always end up getting excited, only to be kicked in the guts when they can't string 2 passes together
Ken Masters I think we're in with a decent shout of winning it this time......what's that? Scotland aren't even in it!? Then I won't be watching. *spits dummy out*

In all seriousness though, really forward to it. Four years is a long wait so I always make a real effort to watch as much as possible, its a quick month!

Also, now living in England, I will be backing England. A risky thing for a Scot living in Scotland to do but I think I'll be safe in Devon. We're all British after all (well for now anyway) I honestly want to see them do well.

Surely we can create some sort of forum game to go with the competition?
Elipton sweepstake?
Ken Masters
quote:
sweepstake?

That's what I was thinking, but how would it work I wonder....
Shades
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Masters:
I'll be safe in Devon.

Only if you stay away from R AAAAAApples

latininxtc
quote:
sweepstake?

You mean like a fantasy sports league for the World Cup?
Ken Masters Hoooow abooooout we are all drawn a few teams (decided by fifa rankings & how many people enter) & the person with the winning team has one hardcore related present sent to them from the others involved?

ie hardcore albums, vinyls, sweaty hi viz jackets & the like. The winner can then parade themselves in a picture showing what he/she (most definitely he) has received.
djDMS Great idea
Shades genius
skankineddie666 Espa?a!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOHHHHHHHH

JAPAN!!!!!!!!!!!! Because they have anime!!!!!!

And the USA even though they will be brutality murdered by all 3 teams in their group....one can only dream....
Ken Masters If anyone fancies getting involved pm me & I'll knock up a list, we need to get this moving pretty fast!

Don't be skinflints now, try to make your present worthwhile. I say present as we're not so much gambling as we are giving presents of congratulations to the winner, everyone loves presents :)

I'll create a new thread asap but if you want to get involved pm asap. Sorry to hijack the thread Olly! but it'll be a lot clearer having a dedicated thread that I can edit.
DjZelous If dominican republic plays im gonna have to go for them cause im from there =D
latininxtc
quote:
Originally posted by DjZelous:
If dominican republic plays im gonna have to go for them cause im from there =D

So you're basically saying you're playing just for fun and not to win.
latininxtc So John Oliver said this about the World Cup lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJEt2KU33I
Elipton Going to post this for Rik and England :)

Elipton
quote:
Originally posted by latininxtc:
So John Oliver said this about the World Cup lol

He's right. FIFA is absolute scum, but at the end of the day, he's not on about the World Cup. The World Cup is a wonderful thing, but the people behind it are the worst possible humans on the planet
latininxtc
quote:
quote:
So John Oliver said this about the World Cup lol

He's right. FIFA is absolute scum, but at the end of the day, he's not on about the World Cup. The World Cup is a wonderful thing, but the people behind it are the worst possible humans on the planet

True. And TBH what he said is almost no different than what goes on in our NFL, National (American) Football League, as well as the NCAA, which is National Collegiate Athletic Association. They're both labeled as non-profit organizations and are tax exempt, yet they make billions every year, especially the NCAA. The NCAA profits off of college students' athletic abilities, and those athletes don't see a cent of that. There's currently some debate whether college athletes in high-profile sports like American football and basketball should be paid. Even though they get "full" scholarships, those scholarships don't always cover everything and the average college athletes leaves with about $10,000USD in college debt when they leave.

Also there's plenty of greed to go around the IOC as well, another non-profit organization who just happens to have their headquarters in Switzerland of all places. The main reason why the US lost so easily to host the 2012 and 2016 Summer Olympics is because the IOC wanted a bigger percentage of the revenue had a US city won the right to host the event.
DjZelous
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DjZelous:
If dominican republic plays im gonna have to go for them cause im from there =D

So you're basically saying you're playing just for fun and not to win.

Yep, i guess you can say that lol, im not much of a sports fan either
Righteous9 I'm about "Korea"!!! A lot of Experience over there...

It took 1.69 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page