Radio listeners 181+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 Force & Styles kick

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Royzourboy I've gotten hooked on the kicks that Force & Styles used, specifically the really bouncy ones you hear in Wonderland, Funfair, etc.
I would really, really like to figure out how they made such awesome kicks.
I know /HOW/ to make a kick, but I want one that sounds like theirs!
Does anyone know how it was done? Or did they maybe use a pre made sample?
Even better, does anyone have samples of any of the kicks they used and would they be willing to give them to me?

Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thank you!
The drunken scotsman Big fan of this kick also. Can't help you out though!
Mortis I have some theories about their kicks. One is that it's a kick layered with a bass and the other is that it's two kicks layered in a way where the punch has been phased out slightly. I've managed to get something close using the later technique but nothing that sounds as good as theirs.

I've taken a quick section of a track I was working on last year. What I've got here is a basic 909 kick layered with a slightly distorted 909 kick and a clap playing at the same time. It's not perfect but it's about the best result I've gotten so far.

Ignore the shitty production, it's a very early draft that never got finished.
DJ_FunDaBounce lol! Funny how much their specific kick sound influenced so many of us. I got hooked on the F&S kick with "Heart of Gold". anyhoo, as for re-creating the kick, try layering. I personally use 2 nn19 samplers in Reason within a Combinator. I route them into a small mixer and tweak root notes and the filters. When I find a nice combination I save the patch or export and then re-import the result.

I also use scream distortion by routing the other stereo output of the samplers through the distortion and then to another pair of mixer channels so as to blend them with the "clean" versions. I've found that the tube settings on it tend to aproximate the F&S kick on many a sample.

In the breeze and styles computer music masterclass, Styles mentions something about how they did kicks back in the day so I suggest checking that out, too...

https://youtu.be/acJnfMl0Tq8
Hard2Get Yeah really good kick drum. Same for Triple J's kick
DJ_FunDaBounce
quote:
Originally posted by Mortis:
I have some theories about their kicks. One is that it's a kick layered with a bass and the other is that it's two kicks layered in a way where the punch has been phased out slightly.

This. Especially the phasing part. It's precisely what you want to look for with the layering technique.

quote:
I've taken a quick section of a track I was working on last year. What I've got here is a basic 909 kick layered with a slightly distorted 909 kick and a clap playing at the same time. It's not perfect but it's about the best result I've gotten so far.

That's pretty good, Stu!

Imo, though, there is no such thing as "perfect" when it comes to a hardcore kick. you've simply gotta find one that complements the other elements in the track.
Royzourboy
quote:
I have some theories about their kicks. One is that it's a kick layered with a bass and the other is that it's two kicks layered in a way where the punch has been phased out slightly. I've managed to get something close using the later technique but nothing that sounds as good as theirs.

Oh my god man, that is delicious!! Great kick!

quote:
Originally posted by DJ_FunDaBounce:
lol! Funny how much their specific kick sound influenced so many of us. I got hooked on the F&S kick with "Heart of Gold". anyhoo, as for re-creating the kick, try layering. I personally use 2 nn19 samplers in Reason within a Combinator. I route them into a small mixer and tweak root notes and the filters. When I find a nice combination I save the patch or export and then re-import the result.

I also use scream distortion by routing the other stereo output of the samplers through the distortion and then to another pair of mixer channels so as to blend them with the "clean" versions. I've found that the tube settings on it tend to aproximate the F&S kick on many a sample.

In the breeze and styles computer music masterclass, Styles mentions something about how they did kicks back in the day so I suggest checking that out, too...

https://youtu.be/acJnfMl0Tq8

Thanks so much! I'll definitely check that link out :)

Thanks for all the advice so far, guys. It really helps. And, oh yes, Triple J has a really awesome kick, too :)
Mortis
quote:
Originally posted by Royzourboy:
quote:
I have some theories about their kicks. One is that it's a kick layered with a bass and the other is that it's two kicks layered in a way where the punch has been phased out slightly. I've managed to get something close using the later technique but nothing that sounds as good as theirs.

Oh my god man, that is delicious!! Great kick!

Haha, cheers.
Royzourboy
quote:

Haha, cheers.

:)

Small bump. Anyone else got some advice, samples or whatever? Any and all help is appreciated!!

the kick sounds like some crap old skool gabba terror kick, which is just a preset in

http://www.distocore.net/

the clap sound like is just has some compression on

you can make nu skool mainstream "gabba" kicks >> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd916r4UY5Aa5MpxnVs8uMw/feed?activity_view=2
Hard2Get Only it's nothing like a 'Gabba' kick lol
Guest the intro kick in wonderland is just a crap oldskool gabba terror kick, with a lower note then the preset and a bit of EQ, then the clap just has some compression

Mortis
quote:
Originally posted by Guest:
the intro kick in wonderland is just a crap oldskool gabba terror kick, with a lower note then the preset and a bit of EQ, then the clap just has some compression

Are you listening to the same track I am? Because the kick sounds nothing like what you are saying.
Guest should try turning off your soundcards EQ and listen to it with ASIO
Royzourboy
quote:
the intro kick in wonderland is just a crap oldskool gabba terror kick, with a lower note then the preset and a bit of EQ, then the clap just has some compression

Well, maybe I like how it sounds. :/

None of the kicks in the video you linked sounded like the one in Wonderland, though.
DJ_FunDaBounce
quote:
should try turning off your soundcards EQ and listen to it with ASIO

lol.

On my hunt for a sample-able version, many a moon ago, the closest I got was when I found this.

https://youtu.be/w2S2gf5qcAM

Mortis
quote:
should try turning off your soundcards EQ and listen to it with ASIO

lol no amount of messing with my soundcard will make the kicks in the tracks you posted sound like a F&S kick.

quote:

On my hunt for a sample-able version, many a moon ago, the closest I got was when I found this.

https://youtu.be/w2S2gf5qcAM

That's the same kick Triple J used.

Guest im talking about wonderland, wonderland gets mentioned somewhere on the page
Guest pick a track, i`ll make a preset for bassdrum murda https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBQmV2zZK5o&list=PLY7tACPVXqoJ64TXfzITNMh5woUvZfwwn
Mortis Basically, are you trying to say that they used similar kicks to what was used on 90's gabber and that can be done using the soft synth you posted? If so, that makes sense. You just confused me posting newer gabber and saying the kicks are the same.
Hard2Get Nothing you can do with software will really get the same sound. Using a 909 sample is a good start though.
Guest get bass drum murdha, use a crap old gabba preset kick and drop the note down low, if using fl studio you have to put the note near the bottom of the key in piano roll

put 2 or more of this EQ on a mixer channel http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?plugin=TENQ&id=2187

on 1 of the EQ`s, you turn the mid to high all down. then put some mid on the second EQ

then mess about with the filter and volume of the distortion on bass drum murda

i have`nt lowered the level of distortion, creative asio is crap, and asio4all is doing something else

http://k003.kiwi6.com/hotlink/v7gsho3cmk/ukhardcore.mp3
Guest clean up the distortion, you will end up with something like a old happy hardcore kick to put the jungle break behind, so you just tweak the mid range to what you like

http://k003.kiwi6.com/hotlink/vpyyesjx0j/ukhardcore.mp3
Guest less bass http://k003.kiwi6.com/hotlink/ssyr69vu12/ukhardcore.mp3
Mortis Sorry, Guest, but these kicks sound nothing like the kick Force & Styles used.
Hard2Get The main problem is that the tail is much longer than the F&S kick.
Guest never said they did sound like force & styles kick, pre 2000 force & styles, is just a old happy hardcore kick, with the mid range tweaked abit more

Mortis
quote:
never said they did sound like force & styles kick, pre 2000 force & styles, is just a old happy hardcore kick, with the mid range tweaked abit more

But that's the point of the thread. The op asked how to make a Force & Styles kick like the one in Wonderland.
Guest well then, make a old skool happy hardcore kick first

if you have bass drum murda, in the pitch envelope, add abit of amount, if you want a snare sounding mid range of your kick

scottyd2k9 Get an 909 sample
Get an 808 sample
Highpass the 909 a little bit so both samples blend
Add a fruity blood overdrive
Add Fast Dist
EQ
Add another fruity blood overdrive
then use some other distortion plugin. You can use camel phat.
Instead I'm going to change camel phat for Tal-Tube or Antares tube
EQ
There you go !

Guest dont want to do that, bassdrum murda with will proper nu-skool gabba kicks without any gain or peak meter red, keeping all the bass, for the sub bass punch

you can do these, using midi out channel to use more then 1 instance, with single osc`s only

and all hardstyle kicks
Captain Triceps Sounds a bit middle class, mate.
carldj90 I'm sure you can find something close in the free happy hardcore pack or the paid Sy & Unknown pack

and when i mean close you may have to edit it a bit or layer it. Not sure as I would not use that kind of kick

also make sure you layer it with a ride or closed hat it will make all the difference

Hell use compression and distort it a bit or use an overdrive and pre amp it
Guest its all club land for people bored of dubstep, dum & bass, trap and all other middleclass nerd wannabe bass music scenes to go with they`re pimped cars

DJ_FunDaBounce I think what the scene really needs is a Force & Styles Sample pack! With all the acappellas

...wait

maybe it IS about the ASIO.
Guest if you are using creative ASIO on your xFI + soundcard and export a track with distortion or gain on any of the tracks, all of the distortion and gain will be removed, creative has dedicated everything to gamers and nothing else, which is why they are dead
Royzourboy
quote:
I think what the scene really needs is a Force & Styles Sample pack! With all the acappellas

That'd be the day.
I contacted Force about it a little over a month ago and he's apparently trying to get all the acapellas together so he can release them but I haven't talked to him about it since because I don't wanna be a bother.
Captain Triceps
quote:
quote:
I think what the scene really needs is a Force & Styles Sample pack! With all the acappellas

That'd be the day.
I contacted Force about it a little over a month ago and he's apparently trying to get all the acapellas together so he can release them but I haven't talked to him about it since because I don't wanna be a bother.

What, really??
Royzourboy
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Triceps:
quote:
quote:

That'd be the day.

What, really??

Yes, really. I messaged their facebook page thinking it probably wouldn't get anywhere and he responded right away. He told me that he'd hopefully have all the acapellas in the next few weeks and he said he would let me know as soon as he had them.
Captain Triceps
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

That'd be the day.

What, really??

Yes, really. I messaged their facebook page thinking it probably wouldn't get anywhere and he responded right away. He told me that he'd hopefully have all the acapellas in the next few weeks and he said he would let me know as soon as he had them.

As much as I would love for this to happen, I'll believe it when I see it. Although they might be doing something similar to Luna-C and releasing everything with all available samples.
Royzourboy
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

That'd be the day.

What, really??

As much as I would love for this to happen, I'll believe it when I see it. Although they might be doing something similar to Luna-C and releasing everything with all available samples.

Well, I'm definitely keeping my hopes up. Hopefully someday soon we'll have what we're looking for.
Royzourboy UPDATE ON THIS THREAD!

I came across this the other day:

This is pitched up This actually isn't pitched up. Ignore that. I'm fairly certain this is the kick. Either that, or it's pretty damn close.

What do you think?
DJ_FunDaBounce
quote:
UPDATE ON THIS THREAD!

This is pitched up, I'm sure, but I'm fairly certain this is the kick. Either that, or it's pretty damn close.

What do you think?

It's definitely from the same family! The thing is that due to the mastering applied to the track some freq's will change, thus not making it as pure as it could be and leaves us with a second best (as all ripped samples do!)

either way, major "Like" on this one!
Royzourboy
quote:
quote:
UPDATE ON THIS THREAD!

This is pitched up, I'm sure, but I'm fairly certain this is the kick. Either that, or it's pretty damn close.

What do you think?

It's definitely from the same family! The thing is that due to the mastering applied to the track some freq's will change, thus not making it as pure as it could be and leaves us with a second best (as all ripped samples do!)

either way, major "Like" on this one!

Woop woop! :D

It took 1.48 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page