Radio listeners 160+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 MC Storm mixtape

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
DJ Sketchy I'm surprised there isn't a thread about this... What do you think of it? I think it's pretty cool!

ConnerIntenzifi There is bottom of page!

Don't think its too bad although I don't think he does himself justice on a Studio Mix, to get him you have to see him live & what he brings to the atmosphere in a rave.

Although most on here can't stand him anyway haha I book him several times a year & he always does a good job & folk in the rave at the time love him hence why I keep bringing him back.
DJ Sketchy
quote:
Originally posted by ConnerIntenzifi:
There is bottom of page!

Don't think its too bad although I don't think he does himself justice on a Studio Mix, to get him you have to see him live & what he brings to the atmosphere in a rave.

Although most on here can't stand him anyway haha I book him several times a year & he always does a good job & folk in the rave at the time love him hence why I keep bringing him back.

Oh yeah! Oops! Yeah good on ya getting him down :)
arpz Absolute ****ing gash. You can't honestly think this is good, this is another one of you career progression type stunts.

It's complete toss, off beat for most of the time, can't fit in all the words without it sounding like a garbled mess. 21 minutes is the absolute worst thing I've heard in a very long time
DJ Sketchy
quote:
Originally posted by arpz:
Absolute ****ing gash. You can't honestly think this is good, this is another one of you career progression type stunts.

It's complete toss, off beat for most of the time, can't fit in all the words without it sounding like a garbled mess. 21 minutes is the absolute worst thing I've heard in a very long time

Wow! Sorry to get your back up arpz. I enjoyed it! So sue me. I don't see much difference to how he normally MCs... Maybe they had some timing issues during recording. Other than that I can't fault it.
arpz Did you actually listen to what happens at 21 minutes?
DJ Sketchy
quote:
Did you actually listen to what happens at 21 minutes?

Yeah you mean the Jamaican type speech? I think it's a good old bit of fun.
arpz It's laughable in my opinion. Honestly, the whole thing is super awful, the comments on it pretty much sum it up. Fair enough, suppose I can't tell you what you like but definitely questioning your taste lol
Captain Triceps I know it's a showcase of his vocals and lyrics, but his voice is too loud over the music for me to enjoy the mix at all (I won't be cynical and say it's 100% too loud!), if it were a little quieter it would have been more enjoyable.

Everyone kept referring to '21 minutes' and it's obvious why, it's embarrassing. It had no business being there, he isn't Jamaican (unless I'm horrendously mistaken), he was born in my home town funnily enough. Should have done something else there. I see why he did it, but it just sounds awful, to me at least.

I won't be too harsh or needless nasty, it clearly wasn't aimed at someone like me (feels weird to say that), I prefer MC's at the raves hyping the crowd rather than on studio mixes. Maybe he should release and album, not even necessarily hardcore, and get his words out that way.
DJ Sketchy
quote:
Absolute ****ing gash. You can't honestly think this is good, this is another one of you career progression type stunts.

Also just to be clear... If I don't have a positive word to say about something, I just won't say anything at all. That doesn't mean I'm not being honest when I give my review of something... I will give you an example. I Tweeted Calvin Harris a review of every release he has made, since I started hounding him. I didn't review his new track though, as I couldn't find enough positive words to say about it.
arpz You should leave that 'dont say anything negative' attitude at the door when you come onto a discussion forum in my opinion.
Captain Triceps Constructive criticism is good criticism. It's no good saying "your song is completely shit, now fuck off and take your pissy sample packs with you", especially from people who are just being spiteful. But if the only feedback anyone ever got was "sick tune bruv" and "OMG dis is da best", then that is just blowing smoke up their arse. By all means praise and compliment someone, but also tell them what you don't like and why.
As much as I find illiterate comments from faceless puppets beyond cringeworthy, intelligent seeming people just posting offensive comments about music they once enjoyed isn't impressive either.
DJ Sketchy
quote:
You should leave that 'dont say anything negative' attitude at the door when you come onto a discussion forum in my opinion.

It all came from being at an Oasis concert back in '95. I said "Who's that Mick Jagger wannabe?". A couple of weeks later I found out... It was Jarvis Cocker and he was No.1 in the charts as Pulp. So I have remained positive in my public opinion ever since.
Captain Triceps Well Oasis were good for something after all.
DJ Sketchy
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Triceps:
Constructive criticism is good criticism. It's no good saying "your song is completely shit, now fuck off and take your pissy sample packs with you", especially from people who are just being spiteful. But if the only feedback anyone ever got was "sick tune bruv" and "OMG dis is da best", then that is just blowing smoke up their arse. By all means praise and compliment someone, but also tell them what you don't like and why.
As much as I find illiterate comments from faceless puppets beyond cringeworthy, intelligent seeming people just posting offensive comments about music they once enjoyed isn't impressive either.

I'm happy to give constructive criticism, but I do that in private. As I said, I'm not being positive just for the sake of it. If I don't have a positive opinion on something, I just won't give an opinion at all. My conscience eats away at me if I'm negative publicly.
Captain Triceps But I mean not all negativity is bad. It's fine to say you don't like something. Just don't say "this is shite" when you were never going to enjoy it anyway.

You keep up the positivity anyway mate, that's a different matter entirely.
Elipton No point being constructive here. The bloke won't change even if he does read what you say.

The mix is gash in every regard.
Captain Triceps
quote:
Originally posted by Elipton:
No point being constructive here. The bloke won't change even if he does read what you say.

The mix is gash in every regard.

I'll give you that. I guess I refer more to people that could actually use the feedback.
DJ Sketchy I guess always searching for a positive changes your entire outlook on things. Like if I ever feel negative about something, I stop and search for the positive. I've studied NLP and listened to Tony Robbins a lot though...

EDIT - NLP is Neuro-Linguistic Programming
DJ Sketchy He he. That reminds me of something I said to a bouncer carrying a gate once... I said "Why the long fence?"
DJ Sketchy I also went up to a bloke in a wheelchair at a rave back in the early days once and said "Good on ya mate" and shook his hand. He looked at me like I'm a right prick! Sometimes it's best to keep silent, even if you have something positive to say LOL. *Grabs coat* TAXI
arpz It seems absolutely ridiculous to try and offer 'the worlds best hardcore MC' any kind of advice on how it could be made better but since we're going down the route of 'being constructive' then my advice would be 'Re-record it, try to actually say the words in time with the music. Don't pretend to be jamaican, it sounds very silly. Maybe if you have trouble saying fitting the words into the beats/bars then perhaps use less of them'

Captain Triceps Maybe he recognised you.
DJ Sketchy
quote:
Maybe he recognised you.

LELS
Ken Masters
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Sketchy:
quote:

I Tweeted Calvin Harris a review of every release he has made, since I started hounding him. I didn't review his new track though, as I couldn't find enough positive words to say about it.

You really should review it. Put him out his misery.

As for storms mixtape. I'm astounded that its so average. Whats even more astounding is the fact he let this go out. It just simply isn't good enough. Lyrically. Creatively. Musically.

Ive seen Storm a few times now & there's no doubt he does a good job of commanding the stage & hyping the crowd, but it seems thats where his talents stop as this mixtape clearly demonstrates.

I did read that his vocals were recorded separately from the mix which would explain the awful flow, but once again it begs the question. Why? Why did he let this go out?

Love or hate the new direction Styles, Gammer & co are taking Hardcore, there's one thing you cant fault, & that's their never ending desire to continually raise the bar. Clearly Storm lost his grip a long time ago & was thankful to be clung to their coattails.
DJ Sketchy
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Masters:
quote:
quote:

I Tweeted Calvin Harris a review of every release he has made, since I started hounding him. I didn't review his new track though, as I couldn't find enough positive words to say about it.

You really should review it. Put him out his misery.

I don't want to look like a dick criticising something I could only dream of making myself.

I think what the mixtape has done, is REALLY expose how MC Storm naturally MCs. Which sometimes is a lot of words in a passage. He gathers his pace back again and remains on time afterwards though. There's not a point where he loses his timing completely.
Captain Triceps To echo my earlier sentiment, too much meanlingless praise has gave him a "this'll do" attitude. He could have purposely made it as bad as he possibly could and the same people would have been piling on the same sycophantic hollow compliments. And he knows better than to pay attention to bad-negative comments, he will simply write them off as "haters".

Do we know if the mix is available on its own, sans-Storm, so to speak?
DJ Sketchy
quote:
To echo my earlier sentiment, too much meanlingless praise has gave him a "this'll do" attitude. He could have purposely made it as bad as he possibly could and the same people would have been piling on the same sycophantic hollow compliments. And he knows better than to pay attention to bad-negative comments, he will simply write them off as "haters".

I honestly believe the mixtape is MC Storm at his best. He wouldn't have released it otherwise. Just the clarity has truly exposed his sometimes complicated style of MCing.

I played the drums for 10 years, so I like to see myself as a master of timing. Storm bounces around like nobody's business and sometimes makes some very complicated timing hits through his words, all pretty much bang on time.
Captain Triceps I'd not say he isn't good at what he does, hell I couldn't do it. But what he does belongs in a rave. I can even forgive the timing. It's not poetic rap or anything like that, it's MC lyrics for a rave. Laying these over a mix, with the vocals twice as loud as they should be, just doesn't belong anywhere, he doesn't have anything to prove to the people this is aimed at. Just listen to some sets he is on. Or at least make a point of recording this mix live.
arpz
quote:

I don't want to look like a dick criticising something I could only dream of making myself.

You don't need to think like that, I can watch someone play football badly and objectively state that they're doing a bad job. I can't play football to save my life.

(I actually can't tell a bad footballer either because I don't know anything about football, but yeah :)
DJ Sketchy
quote:
I'd not say he isn't good at what he does, hell I couldn't do it. But what he does belongs in a rave. I can even forgive the timing. It's not poetic rap or anything like that, it's MC lyrics for a rave. Laying these over a mix, with the vocals twice as loud as they should be, just doesn't belong anywhere, he doesn't have anything to prove to the people this is aimed at. Just listen to some sets he is on. Or at least make a point of recording this mix live.

I see what you're saying. Maybe MC Storm felt pressure to make a mixtape demonstration, after seeing what his competition are doing. Putting the usual balance he enjoys out of whack. Even with all the negativity, I still feel it's a very good demonstration of his MCing abilities. The volume understandably raised on the mic, so he can show off his skills to the max.
djDMS U lot leave Storm alone. If u fink u cld do better your wrong

He iz da bestest MC eva!

Haters!
DJ Sketchy
quote:
quote:

You don't need to think like that, I can watch someone play football badly and objectively state that they're doing a bad job. I can't play football to save my life.

(I actually can't tell a bad footballer either because I don't know anything about football, but yeah :)

I just can't shake it mate. How can I criticise PUBLICLY, something I don't have the ability to do myself? I'd tell Calvin Harris my feelings on his track privately.

I do get why he made the record though! He wanted a statement, which came first, the track came after. So it's understandable he didn't hit the mark as true as his other tracks, as his driving force for the track was to make an emotional statement about him & Taylor Swift. He then put a track to his feelings the best he could. He surely normally starts a track musically.
Elipton
quote:
quote:
quote:

I just can't shake it mate. How can I criticise PUBLICLY, something I don't have the ability to do myself? I'd tell Calvin Harris my feelings on his track privately.

I do get why he made the record though! He wanted a statement, which came first, the track came after. So it's understandable he didn't hit the mark as true as his other tracks, as his driving force for the track was to make an emotional statement about him & Taylor Swift. He then put a track to his feelings the best he could. He surely normally starts a track musically.

It's all rather simple. It's the entertainment industry, and MC Storm like CDJay, Gammer, Breeze, and even smaller producers such as myself are open to scrutiny. They release content into the public domain on the ignorant hope that it'll be successful and acclaimed, and sometimes it won't be. That's a fundamental law of being involved in music.
Mickey Init Re: 21 minutes... Why do people let them do this sort of thing? It's like Whizzkid with the Transformers thing, why didn't one of his friends try and talk him out of it? Admittedly, I know the Transformers thing is just a bit of fun but it is ridiculous, as is the 21 minutes bit in this mixtape.
Mickey Init And Storm's mouth-scratching, as well... when he couldn't do it anymore, why didn't someone point it out to him? If I was in Gammer's or Styles' position(s), I'd be saying 'I don't want you doing that sort of thing over my set, thank you'.
Captain Triceps
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey Init:
And Storm's mouth-scratching, as well... when he couldn't do it anymore, why didn't someone point it out to him? If I was in Gammer's or Styles' position(s), I'd be saying 'I don't want you doing that sort of thing over my set, thank you'.

He'd have told them not to worry about having to DJ over his set anymore.
Mickey Init
quote:

Hahaha!
DJ Sketchy
quote:
quote:
And Storm's mouth-scratching, as well... when he couldn't do it anymore, why didn't someone point it out to him? If I was in Gammer's or Styles' position(s), I'd be saying 'I don't want you doing that sort of thing over my set, thank you'.

I just peed a little. Then shat myself.
DJ Sketchy
quote:
And Storm's mouth-scratching, as well... when he couldn't do it anymore, why didn't someone point it out to him?

I don't see any problem with it (I wouldn't though). His vocal scratching is bang on time and sounds very unique. I don't think he's suddenly lost it. I have experienced lulls in my DJ scratching at times though... I always feel I used to do it better. I need to train myself up on how to scratch on digital CDJs.
Mickey Init
quote:
His vocal scratching is bang on time and sounds very unique. I don't think he's suddenly lost it.

Are you referring to before your break or after, because what he used to do in the late 90s was quite remarkable but it went from being something quite brilliant to wow-ow-a-rit-tit-tit-titty-bam-bam.

And whilst I'm in the mood: *strains voice (as if having a poo)* Transforming, transforming. Wvoom-kherh. Diddly-diddloo-ba.
Vladel
quote:
You should leave that 'dont say anything negative' attitude at the door when you come onto a discussion forum in my opinion.

quote:
MOB is capable of putting out some brilliant melodic tracks, I think to be honest you're just a bit too jaded mate. I don't subscribe to the whole 'dont say anything if you cant say anything nice' thing but perhaps it's got to the point with you that it might be worth considering?

Unless it's something you don't agree with and then it's worth considering hey?.

As for the mixtape, i agree that storm is too loud over the music and he's on it far too much thorughout the wholes thing. The True Hardcore albums were a better example of how these things can work but in general i still prefer unmixed without mcs. It is worth a quick listen sometimes just to see what the main crowd have been putting out as i realised in the last thread about this thing,i had missed sun is rising.
Another point someone made was how the guy would never listen and of course he wouldn't. I think it's fair to say that everyone in that echelon would likely just be equally deluded into thinking they are where the scene begins and ends hense why this forum is not taken too seriously or even read by that group. This forum has its champions in the HU team and they seemingly end up equally marginallised by that group who only seem to want to surround themselves with people who will just blindly praise them. If sketchy really enjoyed that mix then that is up to him, others disgaree but that is what a forum is for whether it is negative or positive.
I used to devote a great amount of time and effort into slagging off fracus & darwin when i thought the were crap and now i think they are great. Al Storm went through a couple of years of making ruibbish in my opinion and from 2013 on i think he has been banging. I don't like his dark shadows stuff but like sketchy in a way i don't slag it off because i enjoy the other stuff he does.
youngson Absolute drivel. Can't listen tae this pish and I love hardcore more than a hooker loves a street corner.
Triquatra QWERKOUT set the bar for MC studio mixes, in my humble.
Hard2Get
quote:
Originally posted by djDMS:
U lot leave Storm alone. If u fink u cld do better your wrong

He iz da bestest MC eva!

Haters!

*H8erz
arpz
quote:
Originally posted by Vladel:
quote:

quote:
MOB is capable of putting out some brilliant melodic tracks, I think to be honest you're just a bit too jaded mate. I don't subscribe to the whole 'dont say anything if you cant say anything nice' thing but perhaps it's got to the point with you that it might be worth considering?

Unless it's something you don't agree with and then it's worth considering hey?.

Lol, well done for trying to call me out on that shocking display of hypocrisy. But no, my comment there is referring to the fact that you seem to never have anything positive to say about anything people are excited about.

Just read the rest of your post so maybe I'll expect to see a change :)
DJ Sketchy
quote:
quote:
His vocal scratching is bang on time and sounds very unique. I don't think he's suddenly lost it.

Are you referring to before your break or after, because what he used to do in the late 90s was quite remarkable but it went from being something quite brilliant to wow-ow-a-rit-tit-tit-titty-bam-bam.

And whilst I'm in the mood: *strains voice (as if having a poo)* Transforming, transforming. Wvoom-kherh. Diddly-diddloo-ba.

Ahh! I see what you're saying now... So you feel MC Storm has simplified his vocal scratching?
Maybe the vocal scratching became a strain on his vocal chords? Maybe he prefers the more simplified approach? I'm sure he could rinse out in the way he used to if he tried.
SmashingTheSirens
quote:
Originally posted by Triquatra:
QWERKOUT set the bar for MC studio mixes, in my humble.

My sentiments exactly. Nothing else in the genre comes close to the effort and thought put into Qwerkout
Mickey Init
quote:
Ahh! I see what you're saying now... So you feel MC Storm has simplified his vocal scratching?
Maybe the vocal scratching became a strain on his vocal chords? Maybe he prefers the more simplified approach? I'm sure he could rinse out in the way he used to if he tried.

Yes, a long while ago he lost the ability to do it because his voice broke. It's highly doubtful he can do it like he used to but because it was his trademark he had to keep it going somehow, just it's nowhere near as good.

Vladel
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Vladel:
quote:

quote:

Lol, well done for trying to call me out on that shocking display of hypocrisy. But no, my comment there is referring to the fact that you seem to never have anything positive to say about anything people are excited about.

Just read the rest of your post so maybe I'll expect to see a change :)

I speak positively about a lot of stuff but people just don't remember that
DJ Sketchy
quote:
quote:

Yes, a long while ago he lost the ability to do it because his voice broke. It's highly doubtful he can do it like he used to but because it was his trademark he had to keep it going somehow, just it's nowhere near as good.

Ah! Well that's a shame. Still there's far more to him than just his vocal scratching. I actually quite like his simplified approach. It's like Eminem does it in a way. I do get what you're saying about how he used to do it though. He used to be here there and everywhere with it...

"Ah ooh wha daba ba eeh erh whadda whadda dabba babba bing bong" LOL! I had to have a go at writing it out after what you wrote, Mickey. It seemed like fun! :)
latininxtc
quote:
Originally posted by ConnerIntenzifi:
There is bottom of page!

Don't think its too bad

Si Thompson Listening to guys like Eksman and Stormin' on Dj Hype's Kiss Fm slot really makes you realise the massive gulf in talent between Hardcore and Drum & Bass MC's.
latininxtc
quote:
quote:

Wow! Sorry to get your back up arpz. I enjoyed it! So sue me. I don't see much difference to how he normally MCs... Maybe they had some timing issues during recording. Other than that I can't fault it.

MC Deecee
quote:
Originally posted by SmashingTheSirens:
quote:
Originally posted by Triquatra:
QWERKOUT set the bar for MC studio mixes, in my humble.

My sentiments exactly. Nothing else in the genre comes close to the effort and thought put into Qwerkout

Qwerkout was extremely good, i also highly rate all the album sessions mixes that DJ MoB and MC Enemy did, i dont know what production gear those 2 used but it just sounded so much fuller and more vibrant than pretty much anything else i have ever heard, the clarity and crispness of it all is pretty much second to none IMO.
Cyrax
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ah! Well that's a shame. Still there's far more to him than just his vocal scratching. I actually quite like his simplified approach. It's like Eminem does it in a way. I do get what you're saying about how he used to do it though. He used to be here there and everywhere with it...

"Ah ooh wha daba ba eeh erh whadda whadda dabba babba bing bong" LOL! I had to have a go at writing it out after what you wrote, Mickey. It seemed like fun! :)

Now you're into trolling territory

MC Deecee Having just listened to the mix i can see what people mean about the timing not being great at certain points, but i do know that Carl bloody hates being in the studio, i remember him telling me a story a while back about how he swears either DS or Hixxy (cant remember which) were rolling their eyes at him while they were laying down a track haha, in all seriousness though, he is still the don on stage, he's got the prescence and crowd control that just makes it happen, what would you rather, someone who isnt on top form in a studio setting but absolutely tears it live, or someone who sounds crisp in the studio but only on a studio mix because they cant do it live? for me its the former.
arpz If you don't like being in the studio and can't produce anything worth listening to, then don't go in the studio?
Ravechief The MCin in this mix is an accurate reflection of his personality, utter gash. How he ever thought this was acceptable is beyond me.

If ush.net was still around the phone would be ringing off the hook.
Samination
quote:
Originally posted by latininxtc:
quote:
quote:

Can you smell it? That smelly smell.
Captain Triceps
quote:
Originally posted by Ravechief:
The MCin in this mix is an accurate reflection of his personality, utter gash. How he ever thought this was acceptable is beyond me.

Have you seen the USH Facebook page lately? been brought back to life. Storms been torn a new one!
Hard2Get
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ravechief:
The MCin in this mix is an accurate reflection of his personality, utter gash. How he ever thought this was acceptable is beyond me.

Have you seen the USH Facebook page lately? been brought back to life. Storms been torn a new one!

Didn't know about that.
Captain Triceps It's been buzzing these last few days.

It took 3.56 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page