Radio listeners 182+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 why did they kill off bonkers with that 2007-2008

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Mental_Adam That compilation from 2007-2008 they released. Knew straight away it was a kill off.

end of an era
warped_candykid
quote:
Originally posted by Mental_Adam:
That compilation from 2007-2008 they released. Knew straight away it was a kill off.

end of an era

Sadly, the death of Bonkers began rolling around with the release of vol.16 with all that Clubland X-Treme Hardcore crap becoming bigger and bigger (and the Raver Baby crew selling themselves out to AATW). Bonkers 17 was a breath of fresh air, and I think we all know why, but like Link beating Gohma in the Great Deku Tree, the death of the series had already struck.

AATW had banked on the name's reputation to bring in the bucks for the release of that album, but they didn't factor in the underground crowd being able to see right through their scheme.
DJIntensity Resist also went bust too it shocks me how that Clubland X Treme Hardcore shite became bigger than Bonkers.
Triquatra eh it was time. The music/vibe was no longer bonkers.
Smoogie
quote:
Originally posted by warped_candykid:
quote:
That compilation from 2007-2008 they released. Knew straight away it was a kill off.

end of an era

Sadly, the death of Bonkers began rolling around with the release of vol.16 with all that Clubland X-Treme Hardcore crap becoming bigger and bigger (and the Raver Baby crew selling themselves out to AATW). Bonkers 17 was a breath of fresh air, and I think we all know why, but like Link beating Gohma in the Great Deku Tree, the death of the series had already struck.

AATW had banked on the name's reputation to bring in the bucks for the release of that album, but they didn't factor in the underground crowd being able to see right through their scheme.

True. Bonkers was badly savaged by that Clubland sound. It was everywhere at the time and was what killed the scene off by the end of the last decade!
DJIntensity Bonkers did make one last release that was in 2009 and that was disappointing.
Sulphurik
quote:

end of an era

You thought that about Bonkers 17?! What reasons did you think it was a kill off? The Bonkers 2009 album was alright but not near as good as 17.
Sulphurik Is it really 11 years now since Bonkers 17
DJIntensity
quote:
Originally posted by Sulphurik:
Is it really 11 years now since Bonkers 17

Yep it is 11 years late 2007 the last from Resist then that went bust.
martinj1985 React Music to Resist Music...then AATW came in!! knew it wouldn't be good, does that mean AATW still hold the rights to Bonkers?
Triquatra As far as I know, AATW only licensed the brand for a few years, but never did anything other than the one album with it, the rights remain with the original holders.
CDJay I can verify that; we nearly rebooted end 2013 but everyone was holding out for the next Clubland Xtreme album.

Luckily that happened, I'm never right, and everything is super duper!

CDJay
The drunken scotsman To be honest Im glad that it hasnt been resurrected. Nothing these days could possibly do the brand justice. Best to leave it in the past.
Samination well, the only justice I can think of is create a poll, let people vote one the 4-6 most liked mixes, remaster them (as gently as possible) and re-release with new artwork, preferly in the style of the older Bonkers
DJIntensity Just be lucky that you heard it first time and remember it very well Clubland and AATW should be made to rot.
Captain Triceps Perhaps there should a free mix series with similar art, maybe called Zonkers.
djDMS Or mixed by DJ's with big noses, called Conkers
CDJay Well, if you want the exact moment that UK Hardcore Died; when the princesses dressed up, when SATAN WAVED A FROCK, here it is.

http://www.hardcoreunderground.co.uk/store/view/hu-presents-live-at-rehab-digital-copy

Probably the best live uk hardcore album ever and it only cost ?12,000 and my faith in the human race.

CDJay
shades316
quote:
Originally posted by CDJay:
Well, if you want the exact moment that UK Hardcore Died; when the princesses dressed up, when SATAN WAVED A FROCK, here it is.

http://www.hardcoreunderground.co.uk/store/view/hu-presents-live-at-rehab-digital-copy

Probably the best live uk hardcore album ever and it only cost ?12,000 and my faith in the human race.

CDJay

Is it still your intention to retrospectively add the digital copy, with both full Host, Crowd and Music Only mixes to the download area on the HU Store for those who bought physical CDs ?
CDJay Yep; new back end for the site is actually due for rollout..... this weekend! It finally allows me to manually attach digital rights for products to accounts. It'll be labour intensive, but do-able.

CDJay
Samination does that include a few sharkey stuff to? *puppy eyes*
Hard2Get
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Triceps:
Perhaps there should a free mix series with similar art, maybe called Zonkers.

Lol!
CDJay
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
does that include a few sharkey stuff to? *puppy eyes*

Working on the next batch now, will also have Metropolis masters by end June!

CDJay
Icewind Bring it back! Bring it back!
DJIntensity I?d love Resist come back but I doubt it will.
htid_4_life as much as I loved the early bonkers and still do, I do have one fav mix and it was Vibes on Bonkers 6. Clubland Xtreme Hardcore was too much competition I guess even though it was under the same label. The brand clubland was bigger than the brand Bonkers. I really didn't Like Bonkers 7 it was far too trancey for me and then it had good releases and okish releases. for me, the first 6 bonkers albums would always be the best but nothing is produced in that sound now that is popular anymore.

It would be great to see a new hardcore album out and about that is ran by a label who aren't just interested in brands bringing them cash. I know there are labels out there that are trying but nothing has quite felt as special as a bonkers album for me. I guess it was the variety of tracks used by DJ's who didn't just stick to what their label produced that year.
I think a close second in the great hardcore albums were the hardcore heaven albums and I mean the original ones in the days of Vinylgroover etc.
I respect how Billy Bunter etc are doing oldskool albums and one offs but in all seriousness I have the tracks either as singles, mp3s or already used in various "albums" so its nothing special again and that is also why I don't think they should re release bonkers albums, it will just be cashing in on the brand and nothing special even if it was an oldskool album etc.
But as I said, if an album with various artists and various labels were mixed up, I would be interested but not as a Bonkers.
martinj1985 sorry mate but in my option Vibes Bonkers 6 mix was terrible! , I liked Bonkers 7 for the new vibe (Trance style)
htid_4_life each to their own, it had some unreleased gems and the mixing was spot on
martinj1985 yeah each everyone is different mate, but Clubland Xtreme Hardcore came out around 2005 way after Bonkers 6
htid_4_life yeah and became a much bigger brand. It's why they stuck with anything under the name "Clubland" and Bonkers just became a memory
martinj1985 Bonkers was going strong around 2002-2005 as well!
DJIntensity
quote:
Originally posted by martinj1985:
Bonkers was going strong around 2002-2005 as well!

Bonkers 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 my best one and finally 17.
CDJay I won't lie, as someone who tried to do representive albums for years, and pioneered the mix and single model, I'm sad that didn't register. Go buy hhu, rehab and hh1, (2016).

CDJay
CDJay https://www.hardcoreunderground.co.uk/store/view/happy-hardcore-underground-digital-copy-2

It's ?3.99 for three mixes and unmixed tracks. You'll thank me.

CDJay
DJIntensity I regret getting rid of my Bonkers collection bad move by me.
GrahamC I retired my CDs to the loft, not before I had MP3'd them and also loaded them into itunes! I will still have those CDS (and Bonkers 2 vinyl) when I die :)
trippnface yall are high bonkers 17 was top uk hardcore.

No wonder the scene on it's ass :p
DJIntensity Bonkers 17 was the best pity all that Clubland poo gained more popularity.
GrahamC

Just had a blast through some of these, hardcore has gone to the dogs with a few exceptions!

Should it ever come back, a Fracus & Darwin Bonkers CD is a MUST! Get Thumpa to do a classics disc and Scott Brown to do his usual and it would be a winner!
Quicksilver
quote:
Originally posted by GrahamC:

Get Thumpa to do a classics disc

No. :P

Kevin Energy!

The drunken scotsman
quote:

Just had a blast through some of these, hardcore has gone to the dogs with a few exceptions!

Should it ever come back, a Fracus & Darwin Bonkers CD is a MUST! Get Thumpa to do a classics disc and Scott Brown to do his usual and it would be a winner!

So many great memories in that pic. A weird feeling of happiness mixed with depression knowing that it will never be the same again.
DJIntensity That would be so epic Fracus and Darwin on a Bonkers CD should it make a come back we can always hope and fingers crossed.
Samination
quote:
Originally posted by Quicksilver:
quote:

Get Thumpa to do a classics disc

No. :P

Kevin Energy!

And call it "Rebuilding Bonkers"
Captain Triceps ReBonk.
DJIntensity Rebuilding Bonkers with four CDs mixed by Fracus & Darwin Brisk, Kevin Energy and the final by DJ Impact.
trippnface
quote:
Originally posted by DJIntensity:
Bonkers 17 was the best pity all that Clubland poo gained more popularity.

absolute excellent track . bonkers 10 , 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEnoh6SY_CA

just as good perhaps even better track , bonkers 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1t22EIh4JE

are you guys serious
DJIntensity
quote:
Originally posted by trippnface:
quote:

are you guys serious

Dowster track is amazing and sorry to say but the original version of Get Away by the Canada trio takes Gammers Remix to the cleaners.

trippnface
quote:
quote:
quote:

are you guys serious

Dowster track is amazing and sorry to say but the original version of Get Away by the Canada trio takes Gammers Remix to the cleaners.

this then. there def some winners

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-EQ-SpO658
DJIntensity
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

are you guys serious

this then. there def some winners

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-EQ-SpO658

That gets the thumbs up Darwin is a winner with his music.
Mental_Adam I was about 15-16 the first clubland hardcore album came out and appreciated it to a certain extent. Slowly learnt what a shitstorm afterwards it created. **** them.
kotu WHY WHY WHY THE **** do people not like Bonkers: The Original? I love that Bonkers, especially the Chris Unknown mix - it is one of my all time favourite hardcore mixes. And again, people have also in this thread criticised Clubland X-treme Hardcore! Some of it is ****ing amazing! Well, not all hardcore mixes can be amazing guys, that is a fact of life - licensing and such and the PECULIAR WAYS of the hardcore producers djs and mcs - BUT that is life.

Don't kill hardcore - love hardcore! Hate hardcore? i do not

TRY IT YOURSELVES
[actually furious, again]
DJIntensity Clubland X Treme getting more credit than Bonkers is the reason why people are pissed off.
kotu Well - it is the newer stuff.
warped_candykid
quote:
Originally posted by kotu:
WHY WHY WHY THE **** do people not like Bonkers: The Original? I love that Bonkers, especially the Chris Unknown mix - it is one of my all time favourite hardcore mixes. And again, people have also in this thread criticised Clubland X-treme Hardcore! Some of it is ****ing amazing! Well, not all hardcore mixes can be amazing guys, that is a fact of life - licensing and such and the PECULIAR WAYS of the hardcore producers djs and mcs - BUT that is life.

Don't kill hardcore - love hardcore! Hate hardcore? i do not

TRY IT YOURSELVES
[actually furious, again]

Bonkers: Original Hardcore was OK, but nothing special. The problem with Clubland Hardcore is that 90% were remixes, the mixes were kept at the slowest possible tempo, and there were no transitions or DJ tricks on the mixes, yet people who were new to Hardcore during that era were acting like it was the greatest and most hardcore thing on the market and paid no attention to series like Hardcore Nation, Hardcore Adrenaline, Hardcore Underground, & Hardcore Heaven. So when a series that was built on more originality was bought out by AATW, it was just common sense that the tile Bonkers would be no where near the same that it was. Sharkey's mix was the saving grace. Unknown's mix had some good tracks, but the mixing was lacking.
kotu Bonkers: Original Hardcore IS special to me - maybe that is for personal reaons

as for clubland x-treme Hardcore - has anyone heard 8 or 9 wtf

the prospect mix for example

enjoy :D
Skidzorz They have absolutely heard them, and from what I've seen most everyone on here hates not those complications. I absolutely loathed them as well.

Yes, everyone has different opinions, but it's not wrong to mention that that sound is/ was widely panned, and that there's a reason Bonkera and CLXHC both stopped around the same time .. Fans hated how they ended

****, Breeze's mix on either 8 or 9 wasn't even hardcore. It was DnB with, at best, some dubcore (and the "best" is user very lightly).

rafferty Hardcore Heaven is probably the closest thing that is still going. Has been around for decades.

It took 1.81 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page