Radio listeners 181+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Types of hardcore

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
OKCBOI So I?m kinda new to hardcore
Used to rave to it back in 2007-2009
Never Really looked into the genre just enjoyed the songs

But I?m now getting into it heavy
And I mainly like the uk hardcore like Darwin and Fracus , technikore etc types

And I?m doing more digging and came across angerfist and dirty bastards
It says it hardcore. But it sounds way different from what I like

Is that the actual hardcore genre ?
They sound so different
Guest yeah its hardcore.... back in the 1990s there was hardcore, then in 1996 hardcore died, while hardcore was carried on, mainly by the dutch, sy and vibes invented uk hardcore and thought they were special and carried on using the hardcore name, so real hardcore at uk hardcore events became called the chav name gabber

then all retired, and main stream gabba stole everyone from drum & bass and dubstep while they are all dying and everybody had nowhere to go
OKCBOI Interesting
Guest the only place you will see gabba being used to name hardcore, is at an event in austrailia where uk hardcore is in the main room

all the darren styles etc era could'nt care about the name, and roots, its just music
OKCBOI I see

Quite honestly I think that angerfist shit is horrible

I like the ?happy hardcore? even tho it doesn?t sound happy
Sounds hard af

The 2007 Stuff was nice
Like re-con , heaven 7 , bonkers
Too much heat!!
trippnface sounds like you enjoy classic kandi kid style uk hardcore !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WZdxTVy054

take that guest! :P
trippnface usually some gabber heads get all pissy when happy hardcore is refered to as " hardcore"

cracks me up.

they can eat it, cuz breakbeat hardcore was first hardcore, and that was happy hardcore...pretty much. love the debates on youtube where the old heads ceaselessly argue whether breakbeat hardcore was happy hardcore or not lol.
quote:
Originally posted by trippnface:
sounds like you enjoy classic kandi kid style uk hardcore !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WZdxTVy054

take that guest! :P

i keep hardcore real when i mix

https://youtu.be/_zIc8nGcmg4?t=32m18s

dominator festivals dj compititions don't know what hit them, and i say **** off
quote:
Originally posted by trippnface:
usually some gabber heads get all pissy when happy hardcore is refered to as " hardcore"

cracks me up.

uk hardcore goes under the name hardcore in the uk and austrailia and japan, the rest of the world has "gabber" for hardcore in the clubs and shops so its a pointless argument
Samination There are 2 mayor styles when it comes to Hardcore (if we exclude Hardcore Punk and Hardcore Rap completely :P).

(1) Hardcore that originated from Great Britain (England) that's comes from the same roots as Jungle and Drum & Bass.
(2) Hardcore that originated from The Netherlands and other parts of central Europe that have roots in Techno (mostly Detroit Techno to my understand... Guest will surely correct me on this). Sometimes just called Gabber or Gabba, even though Gabber is a substyle of Dutch Hardcore that's usually never below 200BPM.

Both styles have a bunch of substyles within them, but in the end quite alot of them are interconnectable, mostly because of their general speed (160 to.... well, way WAY over 200 BPM, but generally 160 to 200) and structure, so a bunch of DJ's (I'm one of them) tend to mix them in the same set.

(1) have foremostly styles called;
Happy Hardcore,
Trancecore (not to be confused with the emo rock culture from the US),
Freeform Hardcore,
UK Hardcore (this term is almost as broad as Hardcore itself, but it can be divided into the years 2001-2005, 2007-2012,2012-) and
Breakbeat Hardcore (more in line with Jungle & Breakbeat, but with melodies reminisces to Happy Hardcore).

(2) have foremostly styles called;
Gabber,
Happy Gabber? (basicly Happy Hardcore that came from The Netherlands),
Rotterdam Hardcore (sometimes called Mainstream Hardcore),
Speedcore and
Frenchcore.

I could say that there also exists a (3)rd group, but the ones I am going to mention shares alot of elements from the other 2;
Bouncy Techno (Hardcore-like genre from Scotland),
Makina (Spanish dance music that got turned up to 11. Sometimes takes influences from Hard Trance too) and
J-core (Japanese "J-pop" that got speeded up. A lot of "Normal" (1) and (2) Hardcore from Japan is labeled as J-core to).

Not to promote myself to much, but if you wish to hear variations of Hardcore within the same set, I'd recommend listening to a few (most) of my mixes.
a few examples:
http://samination.se/mix/66/Mix66-PerfectShutdown
http://samination.se/mix/44/Mix44-LawofHardcoreisMyWay! (this has some Happy Hardcore at the start)
http://samination.se/mix/41/Mix41-FragmentsofWar (Mostly Freeform and Rotterdam Hardcore, but has a few Hard-Trance styled Makina in it too)
Guest maybe in the 1990s, it was

Gabber,
Speedcore and
Frenchcore.

then speedcore/terror/gabba was dropped from festivals and all they're labels went bankrupt

now its more like

Hardcore
Frenchcore
Industrial
Crossbreed
Smoogie UK Hardcore Old Skool:

Dutch Hardcore Old Skool:

Sulphurik
quote:
Originally posted by Guest:
maybe in the 1990s, it was

Gabber,
Speedcore and
Frenchcore.

then speedcore/terror/gabba was dropped from festivals and all they're labels went bankrupt

now its more like

Hardcore
Frenchcore
Industrial
Crossbreed

Yeah had thought the early Dutch hardcore was referred to Rotterdam hardcore back then.

Hardcore from continent in the 2000s probably known as Dutch hardcore/ mainstream hardcore?

What's your opinions of Dutch hardcore old and new? There have been tracks in the past I have liked but large majority I'm not into/ can't get into.
LeVzi
quote:
Originally posted by Sulphurik:
quote:
maybe in the 1990s, it was

Gabber,
Speedcore and
Frenchcore.

now its more like

Hardcore
Frenchcore
Industrial
Crossbreed

Yeah had thought the early Dutch hardcore was referred to Rotterdam hardcore back then.

Hardcore from continent in the 2000s probably known as Dutch hardcore/ mainstream hardcore?

What's your opinions of Dutch hardcore old and new? There have been tracks in the past I have liked but large majority I'm not into/ can't get into.

Dutch hardcore was what I called it years ago, Neophyte etc. Heard that kinda music in technodromes etc, was faster back then. Rotterdam Terror Corps etc were awesome, most of the hardcore parties over there were in Rotterdam so I assume thats how it got that label, but to most people it was just Dutch Hardcore.

I loved the sound from Holand back then, Neophyte was god tbh, Elstaks harder stuff , but Elstak was more in the main rooms , the team Forze stuff (Elstak + Panic) was the best of all. Stunned Guys also. Wicked music and wicked times.

These days I see the hardcore scene over there, going from strength to strength ,but I also fear for it imploding. It's a bit like how our scene was and went, massively popular but then just went flatlined.

But right now, the European techno scene is amazing, I am so jealous of them, I just saw the Harmony of Hardcore line up and it is unreal. But I see a plethora of producers right now, all churning out track after track after track in exactly the same vein. Means there is a large scope of tracks to choose from but it's gonna get stale quick, I hope they keep innovating.

There is one guy I got a lot of respect for, General Guyble, amazing producer tbh, makes some awesome stuff. I just wish the whole harder side to techno caught on more in the UK.
Guest hardcore will never implode, gotta keep it streetz blud, for the cars in the ASDA carparks worldwide with 10,000 watt stereos

its the only scene left standing and formulated for the europe ghetto so all the cum shots can't show up and start crying about everything, like they did with drum & bass, dub step etc

Sulphurik
quote:
hardcore will never implode, gotta keep it streetz blud, for the cars in the ASDA carparks worldwide with 10,000 watt stereos

its the only scene left standing and formulated for the europe ghetto so all the cum shots can't show up and start crying about everything, like they did with drum & bass, dub step etc

Liking sound of that track.
quote:
quote:
hardcore will never implode, gotta keep it streetz blud, for the cars in the ASDA carparks worldwide with 10,000 watt stereos

Liking sound of that track.

goes well with some sweet n sour chicken and some columbian weed
Guest keep it rolling, none of that ableton shit dj skillz

got to EQ the 32hz - 60hz before you can mix these

Samination

Sulphurik Dutch Hardcore not my cup of tea, I'll put on Al Storm's Hardcore Heaven volume 5 mix.
LeVzi I like dutch hardcore , but not the stuff he's posting up.

All sounds the fking same to me. Main arena music does not appeal to me anymore in any form, other than Dr Peacock and Sefa.

But the uptempo / terror scene is very vibrant at the moment, good fun.
Guest yup, well, just keeping it rolling for the cars, the deejaay, the columbian weed, with the mainstream "crossbreed"

everyone else who used to post here jumped on the band wagon along time ago and do their thing on https://kniteforce-radio.com/

Sulphurik As have said before have liked small bit of Dutch Hardcore.

I have liked some of Promo's tracks in the past. His style has worked well with vocal and rap samples. Sometimes his style has been bit varied but have liked his more melodic tracks.

Came across these two tracks which hadn't heard which liking.

Sulphurik Sounding good from OMI

LeVzi

Really liking his stuff.

This is the genre I am loving right now.
Guest uptempo is gayer then those promo tracks

intro ina bristol badness

Sulphurik
quote:

Heard bit of this, at first thought was The Blaster but it's definately not. It's another Italian artist Blaster. Did like War is coming man and War has came from The Blaster.
LeVzi
quote:
uptempo is gayer then those promo tracks

Bit intense for you is it laddy ? That's ok, go back to your anime , you'll be alright
quote:
Originally posted by LeVzi:
quote:

Bit intense for you is it laddy ? That's ok, go back to your anime , you'll be alright

will, she the only dj capable of stepping up after me in a club without killing the party https://youtu.be/_zIc8nGcmg4?t=2347

uptempo is for homo's who can only rock it in their bedrooms, nobody cares about it
Sulphurik
quote:
quote:
quote:

will, she the only dj capable of stepping up after me in a club without killing the party https://youtu.be/_zIc8nGcmg4?t=2347

uptempo is for homo's who can only rock it in their bedrooms, nobody cares about it

Uptempo - can some1 share some examples of this style?
LeVzi In the videos I posted earlier that's uptempo.

LeVzi
quote:
quote:
quote:

That's why its growing so much in popularity and the amount of uptempo events across Europe mean nothing ?

Homophobic much or you over compensating ?
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

That's why its growing so much in popularity and the amount of uptempo events across Europe mean nothing ?

it isn't growing anything, masters of hardcore might have pushed it for the past year, but its still nothing, sells nothing, gets no youtube views, gets no nothing, because nobody cares, except homo's stuck in their bedrooms
LeVzi
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

it isn't growing anything, masters of hardcore might have pushed it for the past year, but its still nothing, sells nothing, gets no youtube views, gets no nothing, because nobody cares, except homo's stuck in their bedrooms

LOL and the sheer number of events in Belgium, Holland and Slovakia and Germany and other countries in Europe where there are regular uptempo / terror nights means nothing ? It maybe no on the main stream where the likes of Angerfist and Anime who you seem to adore will always be more popular cos it appeals to the the fluffy boot wearing ladies who can continuously vote mr Fist TOP DJ for the 20th time. LOL please.

I am loving the crossovers between uptempo and frenchcore too, they are pretty decent sets to listen to, fast, hard, and fun. And lets face it, its refreshing to see an Angernoizer or Noisekick track dropped in at the end to finish the fluffy booters off.

On a side note, anyone catch the Producers set he did for I think it was MoH recently ? I missed it and I wanna hear it. Good to see he's still going strong.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

LOL and the sheer number of events in Belgium, Holland and Slovakia and Germany and other countries in Europe where there are regular uptempo / terror nights means nothing ? It maybe no on the main stream where the likes of Angerfist and Anime who you seem to adore will always be more popular cos it appeals to the the fluffy boot wearing ladies who can continuously vote mr Fist TOP DJ for the 20th time. LOL please.

I am loving the crossovers between uptempo and frenchcore too, they are pretty decent sets to listen to, fast, hard, and fun. And lets face it, its refreshing to see an Angernoizer or Noisekick track dropped in at the end to finish the fluffy booters off.

On a side note, anyone catch the Producers set he did for I think it was MoH recently ? I missed it and I wanna hear it. Good to see he's still going strong.

nobody cares for mix mag, nobody cares about uptempo, mainstream is a bass scene, not for cry babies who can't handle a wall of 18 inch sub's, and need their uptempo and zero bass below 60hz top mid range frequencies

Sulphurik
quote:

Big sounds from the car stereo!! Do you know that track...I presume a MOH artist?

How about raw style....is it a sub genre of hardcore or hardstyle? I know little about the style.
quote:
quote:

Big sounds from the car stereo!! Do you know that track...I presume a MOH artist?

How about raw style....is it a sub genre of hardcore or hardstyle? I know little about the style.

Vladel
quote:
keep it rolling, none of that ableton shit dj skillz

got to EQ the 32hz - 60hz before you can mix these

You ought to let that lot they forgot to have kicks in their tracks. Light distorted shit does nothing for me.
Vladel
quote:
quote:

Definately missing kicks there sir. When did all of this shit go so soft?
Sulphurik Quite like this although would have liked it more with a less heavy kick. Preferred sound of kickdrum in Tha Playah's older tracks like Bounce.

quote:
Originally posted by Vladel:

You ought to let that lot they forgot to have kicks in their tracks. Light distorted shit does nothing for me.

they all have kicks, you just need a full sub box to be able to hear it, like in the car speaker video's, you hifi and studio monitor driver probably only gets to 50hz on the driver, which is just a mid range frequency on a full system, where sub bass starts at 40hz and goes down to 20hz

download https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/ and use you headphones, they normally goto 20hz -> 20khz
Vladel
quote:
quote:

they all have kicks, you just need a full sub box to be able to hear it, like in the car speaker video's, you hifi and studio monitor driver probably only gets to 50hz on the driver, which is just a mid range frequency on a full system, where sub bass starts at 40hz and goes down to 20hz

download https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/ and use you headphones, they normally goto 20hz -> 20khz

So you have to spend a load of money for their tracks to not sound shit? Hardly the greatest music in the world.
quote:
quote:
quote:

So you have to spend a load of money for their tracks to not sound shit? Hardly the greatest music in the world.

no, sub costs £50+ for your surround sound system or a car, the price depends on watts, you can become god like and re-engineer tracks so you can get maximum bass on your hifi/monitors and speaker driver done to 45hz, like these tracks

and 70% of my whole collection, don't have anything todo for a hour, fix up 10 more tracks

if you want the most bang for the buck, you want bassface assault subs in your car

https://www.bassfacecaraudio.co.uk/product/spl122s-12-30cm-2x4ohm-dvc-subwoofer-1350w-rms/spl1224s
Vladel
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

no, sub costs ?50+ for your surround sound system or a car, the price depends on watts, you can become god like and re-engineer tracks so you can get maximum bass on your hifi/monitors and speaker driver done to 45hz, like these tracks

and 70% of my whole collection, don't have anything todo for a hour, fix up 10 more tracks

if you want the most bang for the buck, you want bassface assault subs in your car

https://www.bassfacecaraudio.co.uk/product/spl122s-12-30cm-2x4ohm-dvc-subwoofer-1350w-rms/spl1224s

Or alternatively, the producers could just make proper hardcore themselves.
LeVzi
quote:
quote:

I kinda put Rawstyle inbetween hardcore and hardstyle,

LeVzi
quote:
quote:
quote:

As compared to what ? What kinda hardcore are you referring to ?
quote:
quote:
quote:

I kinda put Rawstyle inbetween hardcore and hardstyle,

hardstyle died, when every melody sounded the same, and hardcore blew up to having 20 festivals and big events every year, which is when raw style was born

reverse bass which is mostly uk hardstyle scene keeps it alive

Guest mix is a bit shit, this is more for the car, with the clech? bass lines going by at 2 am in a fiesta

Vladel
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Compared to Gabber about 4 years ago.
DJGouda
quote:

It's a subgenre of hardstyle that came up around the start of the 2010s. It's usually a bit slower than your average hardcore track
and the kicks used to be quite differnt as well. In the last few years the two styles got more and more similar though.
Here are some example of tracks that I like:

If your looking for some of the cleanest and hardest hitting kicks, I can't recommend Delete enough.

Not really rawstyle, but similarly hard kicks with trancy melodies. One of my personal favourites.

Hardcore-wise I'm loving the direction Frenchcore is taking, getting closer to the sound and melodies I miss in UK Hardcore.
Love pretty much everything Sefa, Crypton, Vertex, Mr. Ivex and Cyclon do.
Some of my (hopefully) lesser known personal Frenchcore favourties:

Track by Orbit1:
Guest ^they suck^

LeVzi
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Compared to Gabber about 4 years ago.

Am gonna need examples as im not hearing what you are
Guest dominator just turned up the bass on the uptempo

LeVzi Not the best quality, but the Producer still crushing it all these years.

Reminds me of the Technodrome only slower

and the all new direct eurostar train to amsterdam return from £35
https://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/train/netherlands/london-to-amsterdam
LeVzi I saw the line up, and it looks amazing tbh, there are some decent prices for the packages to stay near the venue.

tbh I am toying with it, but I think this year might be a bit of a push. So maybe next year.
Guest there are plenty of other events in the netherlands

https://www.q-dance.com/en/events

https://www.artofdance.nl/events/
LeVzi Yeah but harmony of hardcore was at the perfect time when i'm not busy.
Guest 17->21 sepetember is ibiza goes hard http://www.ibizahard.com/
LeVzi I'll probably wait and go later in the year to one of the indoor ones.
Sulphurik I know this is hardstyle but I'm liking sound of this. I like how the kickdrum sounds.

Uptempo - remember seeing some posts in this topic about it. Where did it originate from...hardstyle?

I found this Atmozfears track - check this song. It's using experimental kicks at the start and at end of track. What does anything think? I think the various kicks used at the start sound ok which are similar to what are in the original Move Ma Body track. The part after 2 minutes does sound more like hardcore kicks (Dutch hardcore) than hardstyle?

Sulphurik Is the line between hardcore & hardstyle getting closer. When heard this track, I thought was hardcore but it's hardstyle. Devin Wild in the black hoodie looks about 15.

DJGouda
quote:
I know this is hardstyle but I'm liking sound of this. I like how the kickdrum sounds.

Sounds like one of Atmozfears kicks. The kick is indeed quite good but the melody is originally from Das Boot and has been already been reworked in Coone's Black Submarine which I prefer by a lot.

quote:
I found this Atmozfears track - check this song. It's using experimental kicks at the start and at end of track. What does anything think? I think the various kicks used at the start sound ok which are similar to what are in the original Move Ma Body track. The part after 2 minutes does sound more like hardcore kicks (Dutch hardcore) than hardstyle?

Yeah the section after two minutes is hardcore. The version of the track you posted is an edit with the hardcore section added at the end. The hardcore section feels rather unintersing and lazy compared to the kicks in the first two sections though.
But I'm also a big fan of the kick variation in the track. In the last few years producers did start to experiment much more kick-wise, especially in the mid intro. For example check out:
Sub Zero Project & Villain - The Solution (first section)
Audiotricz - Let There Be Light (Code Black Remix) (first section)
Apexx - The Cleansing (Interlude)
Zatox - Deep Inside
Sub Zero Project - All For One

quote:
Is the line between hardcore & hardstyle getting closer.

For sure, one of the subgenres of hardstyle is xtra raw with there being a focus on creating some of the hardest kicks out there but at the tempo of hardstyle.
Some examples:
=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVHUsKg8g94Delete - Shut The Mind Up
Thyron - Rave Generation (kick at 1:45 is incredible; very last part is frenchcore)
Ncrypta Feat. Sovereign King - Project Z

Here's one last suggestion, probably my favourite hardstyle from last year:
Uncaged - The Wave
Sulphurik Came across this older remix very recently, always liked Dyewitness original. Quite like what they've done in this remix.

Sulphurik Panic in the mix going back to some classics earlier this eve!

Sulphurik
quote:
Panic in the mix going back to some classics earlier this eve!

Just listened to wee bit of this again - anyone recognise the track starting at 33:06 seconds with piano breakdown a minute later?

Track starting around 1 hour 37 found out is Pilldriver - Apocalypse Never, hadn't heard this track but have to say do like the sound of this late 90s hardcore track. Actually thought it sounded like a Meagashira/Project Omeaga track. Maybe a track that influenced early Meagashira style. Apocalypse was defined as new style back then, slower style but it does sound like an early darkcore track and style around the time of early Meagashira releases & Endymion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJZNz90015s
Sulphurik Had returned to this topic to mention this track and one of the artist High Voltage - this is Nosferatu doing hardstyle! Didn't realise he was doing this under this alias. I like this track below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCZNng_gJsU
Sulphurik Came across this track from Adaro - Ghost Town. It's one of "those" tracks (with the various kickdrums). Supposed to be hardstyle but is this uptempo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuEHRH58gV8
DJGouda
quote:
Came across this track from Adaro - Ghost Town. It's one of "those" tracks (with the various kickdrums). Supposed to be hardstyle but is this uptempo?

Nah, this is still considered hardstyle. The term uptempo is usually just used to describe a subgenre of hardcore. During the last few years the variety and amount of different kicks used has increased, especially during the mid-intros and outros and especially on the rawer side of hardstyle. Overall there's tons of variety in the hardstyle sound of today, from super euphoric melodic tracks to some of the hardest tracks hard dance music has to offer.

Here are some recent examples for the very euphoric, softer type of hardstyle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP-v5SpNQ5Y (feel good track all the way through, no mid intro)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIIMIgTfUxE (rather generic example, melody and lead sounds just like the uk hardcore sound of today)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujxlVoZJoL8 (somewhat harder kicks, the vocals and lead however are as euphoric/cheesy as it gets)

Next up we have the most common, still very melodic but a little hard-edged tracks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l034JWq6XI8 (my favourite producer during the last few years)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfp0z4ndkIQ (fantastic mid-intro with an anthemic main-part)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKCku2Q9wLs (really fun track with a big variety in kicks)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQpCWDD_5pw (incredible trance influences)

Rawstyle has a much bigger focus on kicks and darker atmosphere and melodies. This is also what I would classify the track you posted as. Here are some other examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN7RIFG-jGg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSVLMqHg8lU (very melodic with hard hitting kicks)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8eteC3kzgc(one of my favourite mid-intros from last year; huge focus on kicks)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjK9Mwtu2cQ

Lastly the even harder tracks are considered Xtra Raw and had a huge boost in popularity during the last few years:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy3zmWw2BTQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwBC4Q7sBLY (one of the hardest tracks I know)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtvpXDZkWZM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA0SRy3mBy0 (huge collage of different kicks with the one at 2:52 being their signature one)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dvHFOpjjaQ
LeVzi
quote:
Came across this track from Adaro - Ghost Town. It's one of "those" tracks (with the various kickdrums). Supposed to be hardstyle but is this uptempo?

Cross between rawstyle and hardstyle maybe. Definitely not uptempo
Sulphurik Another subgenre have come across. It's not hardcore but a hardstyle subgenre...dubstep and hardstyle = dubstyle.
Sulphurik I do like a few tracks from Bass D & King M from around this time - early 2000s.

possys2 i always forget how slow them early 2000s nu style gabba tracks are, can be a nightmare mixing into near the end of a vinyl set (scott brown style)
Sulphurik What's anyone's opinions on the higher pitched kicks that are common in hardcore (gabba) now?
possys2 can you post some examples? dont really follow any new hardcore/gabba any more
unless you mean the kind of stuff on one of the hardcore underground 8 cds. think it was end of saiyan mix
Sulphurik Not a fan of these high pitched kicks

possys2 much prefer this style kick, seems heavier
https://youtu.be/FXHRYVKTBo0
Vladel
quote:
What's anyone's opinions on the higher pitched kicks that are common in hardcore (gabba) now?

Hate them to be honest.
LeVzi
quote:
Not a fan of these high pitched kicks

Just standard hardcore these days from what I hear. Piep kicks are worse. (pipe) GPF do piss take remixes with them. They are funny, and when they dropped it at Tomorrowland was funny as fk tbh.

I just saw this for the first time, laughed my arse off and I think that's brilliant. Just a blatant pisstake but banging as fk. More of this please GPF , the sign that said Sefa is gay ! lmfao now I think I may have a new found love for piep kicks.
Samination
quote:
Originally posted by possys2:
much prefer this style kick, seems heavier
https://youtu.be/FXHRYVKTBo0

That track is almost 20 years old...

I don't mind the newer kick, as long as it's within moderation (I couldn't take a whole set of that donking kick though XD)
possys2 yesah man, that track is 20 years old, i thought we was talking talking about kicks being high pitched compared to how they used to be?

btw, im not a producer, im hopefully going to learn this summer, how to make music
Vladel I thought Angerfist was one of the first to start this nonsense. They sound absolutely awful.
LeVzi
quote:
I thought Angerfist was one of the first to start this nonsense. They sound absolutely awful.

He might have been, it was just the evolution of the "tock" of the kick going that way, now its the only way.

I am not a big fan either tbh, but in some case it really is ****ing banging

possys2 that horror tune is mental. proper banging!
Sulphurik The Forever Young bootleg kicks aren't that high pitched, more of standard hardcore one (imo).

Here's another Paul Elstak track - like the start of it but not fan of when the kicks get harder - towards the end of track the kicks get pitched up higher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfYE8hZ_5n8
LeVzi
quote:
The Forever Young bootleg kicks aren't that high pitched, more of standard hardcore one (imo).

Here's another Paul Elstak track - like the start of it but not fan of when the kicks get harder - towards the end of track the kicks get pitched up higher.

It's just a pitched tock. Its the same kick with the tock pitched higher. The introduction of the Tock , as you say, is standard now, but its a pitched thing compared to tracks before it

Not sure if the tock thing came from hardstyle or not, or was the other way around, but I like it, but hate it as a producer
Vladel
quote:
quote:
I thought Angerfist was one of the first to start this nonsense. They sound absolutely awful.

He might have been, it was just the evolution of the "tock" of the kick going that way, now its the only way.

That second one is awful, Gabber needs bass!
LeVzi
quote:
quote:
quote:

That second one is awful, Gabber needs bass!

Its not gabber its uptempo
Sulphurik
quote:
quote:
The Forever Young bootleg kicks aren't that high pitched, more of standard hardcore one (imo).

It's just a pitched tock. Its the same kick with the tock pitched higher. The introduction of the Tock , as you say, is standard now, but its a pitched thing compared to tracks before it

Not sure if the tock thing came from hardstyle or not, or was the other way around, but I like it, but hate it as a producer

That's more like the style of kickdrum I prefer in hardcore in those two tracks. I know they are older tracks, AOF - Bomberman hadn't heard.

LeVzi Yeah I liked that era for hardcore too, AOF - Earthquake was a good one, the scott brown tracks around then too. Neophyte etc. Was good times.

My personal favourite

Sulphurik
quote:
quote:
What's anyone's opinions on the higher pitched kicks that are common in hardcore (gabba) now?

Hate them to be honest.

This type of style is in hardstyle also. I'm don't listen to much of it but seems to be becoming more popular in at least last couple of years in many tracks. There's still the standard hardstyle kicks used but increasing number of tracks with the higher pitched ones.

Other tracks have a different kick - which usually begin with a kick with very little low end to them with alot of reverb and the kick progresses into a harder and higher pitched one.

There are also hardstyle tracks with a harder kick which sound similar to a hardcore kick.
Vladel
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hate them to be honest.

This type of style is in hardstyle also. I'm don't listen to much of it but seems to be becoming more popular in at least last couple of years in many tracks. There's still the standard hardstyle kicks used but increasing number of tracks with the higher pitched ones.

Other tracks have a different kick - which usually begin with a kick with very little low end to them with alot of reverb and the kick progresses into a harder and higher pitched one.

There are also hardstyle tracks with a harder kick which sound similar to a hardcore kick.

I'm not averse to a bit of variety or the fact they have a high pitched tone, it's just they have no guts at all. They also make my ears ache at high volume.
LeVzi
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hate them to be honest.

I'm not averse to a bit of variety or the fact they have a high pitched tone, it's just they have no guts at all. They also make my ears ache at high volume.

No guts at all, LOL as opposed to what ?

If you were stood there with that sound system, the low end would be slamming you in the face.
Sulphurik I listen to some trance (not as much as used to a few years ago) Some tracks in the past have contained an acid bassline riff such as this below:

If this 2016 trance track was speeded up to 180bpm, parts of it especially the intro section would sound like some mid 2000s freeform.

LeVzi
quote:
I listen to some trance (not as much as used to a few years ago) Some tracks in the past have contained an acid bassline riff such as this below:

If this 2016 trance track was speeded up to 180bpm, parts of it especially the intro section would sound like some mid 2000s freeform.

Man I really don't like tracks like that. If I was off my face in a club somewhere I would listen to it, but i'd be thinking how can anyone get a buzz from this.

Problem is once you stick to a certain type of music its hard not to compare everything to it.
Sulphurik
quote:
quote:
I listen to some trance (not as much as used to a few years ago) Some tracks in the past have contained an acid bassline riff such as this below:

Man I really don't like tracks like that. If I was off my face in a club somewhere I would listen to it, but i'd be thinking how can anyone get a buzz from this.

Problem is once you stick to a certain type of music its hard not to compare everything to it.

I was never really a big fan of acid riffs, the one in this remix is repetitive. I did like a good number of trancecore and freeform tracks which had the acid sound in them. In freeform in the 2000s, I did like the trance influence which did work well in many tracks.
LeVzi
quote:
quote:
quote:

I was never really a big fan of acid riffs, the one in this remix is repetitive. I did like a good number of trancecore and freeform tracks which had the acid sound in them. In freeform in the 2000s, I did like the trance influence which did work well in many tracks.

I was never a fan of the trancecore freeform sound but I did like the early acid techno that was about like Clarkee used to play from time to time.
Vladel
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Hate them to be honest.

No guts at all, LOL as opposed to what ?

If you were stood there with that sound system, the low end would be slamming you in the face.

LeVzi Theres no difference
Sulphurik It must have been around 1998 or 1999 when the Dutch happy hardcore scene was 'killed off'. Think there was a Dutch hardcore track in particular that caused the downfall of the happy side of hardcore in Holland/Europe. Was it likely it contributed to the downfall of happy hardcore in the UK in 1999/2000?

What if the happy hardcore scene in Holland/ Europe in particular didn't go the way it did - do you think it would have retained its' popularity in late 1990s or do you think it would probably have started its downfall anyway into 2000s. There probably was still a smaller following into 2000s with the likes of the Party Animals but not Paul Elstak with him going down the millenium hardcore and gabba direction. In more recent years it's been good he has produced some happy hardcore tracks again.
Craigavon raver
quote:
Not a fan of these high pitched kicks

That first one isn't to bad, but if your referring to the gabber kicks from a few years ago, AWFUL! Gabber tracks where coming up in my youtube feed and was thinking wtf! Crap sounding and the amount of kick changes jesus! But thankfully seemed to move away from that a bit, def not as common anyway.
Sulphurik Some Frenchcore from Remzcore

Sulphurik Future core

This is sub genre of hardcore I'm not familiar with. As with the tracks below the artist is from South Korea and this is probably similar to J-core which I'm not too familiar with either. I'm aware of some Japanese hardcore producers such as M-Project. The songs below by awfuless remind me a wee bit of some of M-Project's older tracks.

What's anyone thought on this style? Quite like the uplifting sound to these tracks below, at times there is quite a bit going on in the tracks but I don't mind that. I might have a look for more tracks in this style.

Sulphurik What's anyone think has been the best out of the harder styles of hardcore? I'm talking from early Rotterdam hardcore, to 90s Dutch hardcore, Millenium hardcore, 2010s and current mainstream style
Sulphurik Always liked this one

Samination
quote:
What's anyone think has been the best out of the harder styles of hardcore? I'm talking from early Rotterdam hardcore, to 90s Dutch hardcore, Millenium hardcore, 2010s and current mainstream style

Hardcore punk music stops

U wot m8?
Sulphurik Many of you may have heard of Hato and his youtube channel?

Sulphurik Good track from Mad Dog. This is the style of Dutch hardcore/gabba I would prefer. Good kicks and percussion and nice melodies and synth sounds. This hardcore style is downtempo which Mad Dog plays quite a bit of and one of the first producers to be doing this style.

It took 4.58 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page