Radio listeners 165+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 New VICE MAGAZINE article on Happy Hardcore

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
rafferty Found a pretty interesting article on Happy Hardcore in Vice mag. Was done only about a month ago.
With input & photos - Slipmatt, Dougal, Hixxy, Marley, Charlie B, Darren Styles, Sharkey, Joey Riot, Vinylgroover ,Gammer, UFO, Ramos, Supreme, Seduction, Vibes, Eruption (Chris Brown United Dance), James Horrocks (React Label), Stacey Beetson (Co Promoter of Dreamscape) Grant Smith (Slamming Vinyl)

Curious what you guys think? Goes through the different eras of the genre. With Slipmatt's SMD1 being recognized as the first ever Happy Hardcore record, as well as being the creator basically.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/bvzy5z/happy-hardcore-history-trivia-slipmatt-dougal-hixxy-sharkey
Samination Hixxy mentioned Scott Brown in the live interview on youtube, especially about how influential he was in creating the late 1990 sound, but here, it's only Joey that actually talks about him.

For someone who helped re-create the scene twice, it's very lacking to not even include him.
rafferty
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
Hixxy mentioned Scott Brown in the live interview on youtube, especially about how influential he was in creating the late 1990 sound, but here, it's only Joey that actually talks about him.

For someone who helped re-create the scene twice, it's very lacking to not even include him.

Yeah your right, that actually really surprises me too how Scott Brown has been snubbed. Probably had more releases than everyone.

Also surprised me how threatened Gammer was of Joey Riot at the time, even though he has always had a lot of respect for him.
Alex Threat It's pretty mad the gammer read actually, and he keeps putting posts on his Facebook page stating he will never be a UK / Happy hardcore dj (even though he has just released a track with Tweekacore)
rafferty
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Threat:
It's pretty mad the gammer read actually, and he keeps putting posts on his Facebook page stating he will never be a UK / Happy hardcore dj (even though he has just released a track with Tweekacore)

Yeah he definitely still likes the music enough to produce it. I guess he is a bit like a multi genre dj these days like Kutski.
Alex Threat
quote:
Originally posted by rafferty:
quote:
It's pretty mad the gammer read actually, and he keeps putting posts on his Facebook page stating he will never be a UK / Happy hardcore dj (even though he has just released a track with Tweekacore)

Yeah he definitely still likes the music enough to produce it. I guess he is a bit like a multi genre dj these days like Kutski.

Yeah that is true. I would love to see him at another rave playing out. Can't remember the last time i saw gammer live
Samination His problem was giving in too much though to the vocal "haters." It just ended up giving us with some real criticism being labeled as haters too.
rafferty
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeah that is true. I would love to see him at another rave playing out. Can't remember the last time i saw gammer live

I am pretty sure if a hardcore promoter offered him the right deal, he would definitely play a hardcore set.
Is a good sign if he is releasing stuff on Electric Fox. I wouldn't be surprised if put out a few other gems on there.
rafferty
quote:
His problem was giving in too much though to the vocal "haters." It just ended up giving us with some real criticism being labeled as haters too.

He seems to have way more people that like him than hate him these days though. Most of his haters get laughed at and mocked.
He even has a laugh about it himself, taking the piss out of them and trolling them all the time on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/100044168929414/videos/happy-hardcore-2021/283735720084864/

https://www.facebook.com/DJGammerFans/posts/676277067107236/
Dy5oN Always disappoints me that it's always the same old people getting interviewed/mentioned in such articles, bigging up their mates. Did people such as Brisk & Ham, UFO, Al Storm and Seduction etc. never had any impact on the scene!? Come on...
Samination
quote:
quote:
His problem was giving in too much though to the vocal "haters." It just ended up giving us with some real criticism being labeled as haters too.

He seems to have way more people that like him than hate him these days though. Most of his haters get laughed at and mocked.
He even has a laugh about it himself, taking the piss out of them and trolling them all the time on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/100044168929414/videos/happy-hardcore-2021/283735720084864/

For someone who apparently left the Hardcore scene years ago, he seems very resentful
Alex Threat
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I am pretty sure if a hardcore promoter offered him the right deal, he would definitely play a hardcore set.
Is a good sign if he is releasing stuff on Electric Fox. I wouldn't be surprised if put out a few other gems on there.

I hope so mate!

trippnface
quote:
quote:

why can't I see that pussy's posts?
rafferty
quote:
Originally posted by trippnface:
quote:
quote:

why can't I see that pussy's posts?

They are there. Maybe you need to log into Facebook.
rafferty
quote:
Originally posted by Dy5oN:
Always disappoints me that it's always the same old people getting interviewed/mentioned in such articles, bigging up their mates. Did people such as Brisk & Ham, UFO, Al Storm and Seduction etc. never had any impact on the scene!? Come on...

A lot of those guys are pretty influential, Slipmatt is considered the Godfather of Happy Hardcore my many.

And Dj Eruption ran United Dance which was one of the biggest Hardcore rave brands ever in the UK back in the mid 90s.

Are so many producers out there they could have included I agree. But it might be hard to interview that many people.
LeVzi Scott Brown always was overlooked unless there was something else behind it, I never saw him play lower than Kinetic. I don't ever recall seeing his name on a flyer for a Dreamscape, Skelter, Fusion, United Dance etc.

Scott was an innovator of hardcore, like Slipmatt, Scott really pushed through the bouncy techno sound from back in the Q Tex days, he went under the name the scotsman , he's been everywhere and done everything.

Scott has to be spoken in the same light as slipmatt.

As far as Gammer goes , he comes across as a spoilt little kid tbh, really pathetic individual. I really couldn't care less about a thing he says or does.

Didn't Eurption AND Seduction run united dance ? I am pretty sure it was Chris and John tbh, and then Seduction went onto do Hardcore Heaven.

The history of hardcore is well known, a good read probably for younger people coming into the scene. Where the scene goes is down to the people in the scene now, good luck with it.
rafferty
quote:
Originally posted by LeVzi:
Scott Brown always was overlooked unless there was something else behind it, I never saw him play lower than Kinetic. I don't ever recall seeing his name on a flyer for a Dreamscape, Skelter, Fusion, United Dance etc.

Scott was an innovator of hardcore, like Slipmatt, Scott really pushed through the bouncy techno sound from back in the Q Tex days, he went under the name the scotsman , he's been everywhere and done everything.

As far as Gammer goes , he comes across as a spoilt little kid tbh, really pathetic individual. I really couldn't care less about a thing he says or does.

Didn't Eurption AND Seduction run united dance ? I am pretty sure it was Chris and John tbh, and then Seduction went onto do Hardcore Heaven.

The history of hardcore is well known, a good read probably for younger people coming into the scene. Where the scene goes is down to the people in the scene now, good luck with it.

I think your right about Seduction being involved with United Dance originally.

Yeah being from the South I didn't hear much of Scott Brown till the later years. Probably when Hardcore Heaven started. Was more Happy Breakbeat from guys like Vinylgroover, Dougal, Seduction, Ramos, Supreme & Slipmatt here.. Guys like Marc Smith & Scott Brown were doing all the much harder and faster stuff up North.
Anon. Scott Brown was featured on the program Scotland the rave the other day, good to see he was acknowledged
LeVzi
quote:
quote:
Scott Brown always was overlooked unless there was something else behind it, I never saw him play lower than Kinetic. I don't ever recall seeing his name on a flyer for a Dreamscape, Skelter, Fusion, United Dance etc.

Yeah being from the South I didn't hear much of Scott Brown till the later years. Probably when Hardcore Heaven started. Was more Happy Breakbeat from guys like Vinylgroover, Dougal, Seduction, Ramos, Supreme & Slipmatt here.. Guys like Marc Smith & Scott Brown were doing all the much harder and faster stuff up North.

I sometimes doubt my own memories as the 90s was a big of a mess lol

But yes Seduction and Eruption ran United Dance, then Seduction went alone with Hardcore Heaven, as that was the 1st even to completely cut out jungle, which at the time I agreed with ,but in hindsight, I don't now.

Jungle , for me, was an essential part of the vibe in the raves. Yes you had the die hards who'd shift from room to room when various changes in the music occured, but then you had a big amount of people like me who simply couldnt be arsed and just went nuts to jungle.
rafferty
quote:
quote:
quote:

But yes Seduction and Eruption ran United Dance, then Seduction went alone with Hardcore Heaven, as that was the 1st even to completely cut out jungle, which at the time I agreed with ,but in hindsight, I don't now.

Jungle , for me, was an essential part of the vibe in the raves. Yes you had the die hards who'd shift from room to room when various changes in the music occured, but then you had a big amount of people like me who simply couldnt be arsed and just went nuts to jungle.

Yeah those days are like a lifetime ago now. I can't say I ever got into the Jungle thing. Never felt very welcome amongst their crowd with my girlfriend at the time & I both being blonde and white. They would look at us like wtf are you lot here lol.
The Hardcore Techno room was Hectic though with Scorpio, often would go there there instead.
LeVzi
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeah those days are like a lifetime ago now. I can't say I ever got into the Jungle thing. Never felt very welcome amongst their crowd with my girlfriend at the time & I both being blonde and white. They would look at us like wtf are you lot here lol.
The Hardcore Techno room was Hectic though with Scorpio, often would go there there instead.

Thats wierd as I never got the black / white vibe ever during jungle times. Was always mixed and a right laugh anywhere I went.

I used to spend whole nights in the technodrome if it was that banging. I'd come out when the trance was on, that used to bore the crap outta me.
rafferty
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thats wierd as I never got the black / white vibe ever during jungle times. Was always mixed and a right laugh anywhere I went.

I used to spend whole nights in the technodrome if it was that banging. I'd come out when the trance was on, that used to bore the crap outta me.

Yeah your right most were cool, but you would get the occasional gangster type that looked like he wanted an excuse to kill someone. Saying that the Hardcore crowd had it's fair share of seedy characters too.

Haha Trance bore the shit out of me too. Was like the high wore off when they played that slow proggy shit like Tiesto or Sasha.
LeVzi As much as I respect Dave Angel for his work, it just killed my mood at the night. I'd move out of the Techno room to the other arenas and just keep buzzing and I liked going into the jungle arenas too, different vibe but a wicked kinda buzz

But tbh id be so fked after a HMS set the rest of the night was just survival for me lolol HMS was what made the night perfect.
Icewind I read that article too, it's a pretty good summarization of the whole scene, but obviously missing a lot. I don't think they could cover everything.

Hardcore has lost steam, it's in a slump. I don't believe hardstyle or trying to take from other genres is the way forward. Hardcore already has it's own unique sound. There will be advancements in the technology used to make electronic music (synths, etc), and that will help push it forward too. Covid isn't helping the broader rave scene either.

Samination You're about the only two who don't like the "trancier" era of Hardcore.
LeVzi
quote:
You're about the only two who don't like the "trancier" era of Hardcore.

No, we are not. I don't know why people are so defensive over this freeform / trancecore era. Maybe because it was the minority and always will be. HHC and UK Hardcore will always be the bigger scenes, the DJ's played it more and the other stuff was always room 2.

Samination I have no experience of how raves where in the UK at that point, but on the internet and on here (especially during 2004-2015), most of who talked here did not dunk on it.
LeVzi
quote:
I have no experience of how raves where in the UK at that point, but on the internet and on here (especially during 2004-2015), most of who talked here did not dunk on it.

I am talking pre 2000 , in the actual raves, not "on the internet"

It took 1.47 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page