Radio listeners 150+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 General discussion
 The Boxing Thread

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is free.

Screensize:
Username:
Password:
Format: Strike Sup Sub BigChar Align Left Align Right Pre Teletype Moving Text Insert Horizontal Rule Highlight (Yellow)
Bold Italicized Underline Centered Insert Hyperlink Insert Email Insert Image Insert Code Insert Quote Insert List Insert Smilie Spell Check Youtube embed Soundcloud embed Mixcloud embed Bandcamp embed

Message Icon:
* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Mode:
Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C     R E V I E W
Si Thompson Teofimo Lopez with an impressive win last night over Richard Commey. Sets up the Lomachenko fight now.

LeVzi Annoys me when they are watching a Lightweight fight talking about the heavy weights !

I don't know a thing about these weight divisions tbh, good stoppage though.
The drunken scotsman Coming from Edinburgh I have a vested interest in Josh Taylors career and even more so as he supports the same football team as I do and is talking about having a future fight at Easter Road stadium. He is already one of the all time best Scottish boxers.

Anyway his fight against Regis Prograis recently was my fight of the year. Two technically great fighters in a closely fought 12 rounds and the correct decision in the end. Great respect between the two as well which is always good to see.

The heavyweight division has great potential but we need to see some of these big fights happening in 2020. Wilder fury 2 will be interesting, I just hope Fury gets a fair shake on the scorecards this time if it goes the distance. Joshua back in the mix now so it will be very disappointing if he doesn?t fight the winner of wilder fury 2 later in the year. Usyk has the potential to make things interesting too.
Si Thompson
quote:
Originally posted by The drunken scotsman:
Coming from Edinburgh I have a vested interest in Josh Taylors career and even more so as he supports the same football team as I do and is talking about having a future fight at Easter Road stadium. He is already one of the all time best Scottish boxers.

Anyway his fight against Regis Prograis recently was my fight of the year. Two technically great fighters in a closely fought 12 rounds and the correct decision in the end. Great respect between the two as well which is always good to see.

The heavyweight division has great potential but we need to see some of these big fights happening in 2020. Wilder fury 2 will be interesting, I just hope Fury gets a fair shake on the scorecards this time if it goes the distance. Joshua back in the mix now so it will be very disappointing if he doesn?t fight the winner of wilder fury 2 later in the year. Usyk has the potential to make things interesting too.

I have Josh Taylor as number 1 British fighter currently. I did have it 50/50 between him and Callum Smith, but after Smith's last performance against Ryder. If Fury beats Wilder in the rematch in Feb, He goes back to number 1 in my UK ratings.
The drunken scotsman I think Smith went down in a lot of peoples estimation after his last fight. I thought he was superb against Groves earlier in the year and is huge for the weight class. But he was totally exposed by Ryder and imo he lost that fight, the cards were ridiculous. I just cant take to Smith for some reason, just has no personality, the same as all of the smith brothers. His coach is a complete bellend as well.
Si Thompson
quote:
I think Smith went down in a lot of peoples estimation after his last fight. I thought he was superb against Groves earlier in the year and is huge for the weight class. But he was totally exposed by Ryder and imo he lost that fight, the cards were ridiculous. I just cant take to Smith for some reason, just has no personality, the same as all of the smith brothers. His coach is a complete bellend as well.

I agree with all of that. Paul Smith is the worst out of the brothers. What a c**t he is.
Si Thompson Few fights on this weekend.

Friday 20th December

Danny Jacobs vs Julio Cesar Chavez Jr
Maurice Hooker vs Uriel Perez

Saturday 21st December

Tony Harrison vs Jermell Charlo (Rematch)
Julio Cesar Martinez vs Cristofer Rosales
Denis Lebedev vs Thabiso Mchunu

The drunken scotsman Watched the boxing on BT Sport last night, Daniel Dubois knocked out a Japanese Heavyweight who id never heard of. Afterwards they were trying to build a potential fight between Dubois and Joe Joyce. That build up would be painful. Joe Joyce is car crash material on tv. Hes clearly taken a few too many punches and is severely lacking brain cells. Dubois is not much better. I reckon my 5 month old boy has a higher IQ than both of them combined.
Si Thompson
quote:
Watched the boxing on BT Sport last night, Daniel Dubois knocked out a Japanese Heavyweight who id never heard of. Afterwards they were trying to build a potential fight between Dubois and Joe Joyce. That build up would be painful. Joe Joyce is car crash material on tv. Hes clearly taken a few too many punches and is severely lacking brain cells. Dubois is not much better. I reckon my 5 month old boy has a higher IQ than both of them combined.

I'm not sold on Joyce. Looks uncoordinated.
Si Thompson The hardest puncher P4P in the history of Boxing.

Si Thompson Fastest '3 weight' world champion in history. In both Men & Women's Boxing.

Samination
quote:
Originally posted by Si Thompson:
The hardest puncher P4P in the history of Boxing.

At the time, people always said that Mike Tyson was a hard hitter, but where would be be ranked today?
Si Thompson
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
quote:
The hardest puncher P4P in the history of Boxing.

At the time, people always said that Mike Tyson was a hard hitter, but where would be be ranked today?

Mike Tyson had decent power, but George Foreman, Earnie Shavers, David Tua all punched harder.
Si Thompson Manny Pacquiao made his professional debut 25 years ago today!

Still at the top of his division and still a world champion. Phenomenal.

The drunken scotsman Pac-man has been one of my favourites for a while. Love his style and hes been involved in some great fights over the years. To still be performing at this level all these years later is some achievement.
Si Thompson A win over Crawford or Thurman puts Pacquiao up near the top 10 greatest of all time.
Si Thompson Umar IFL Umar is in trouble.

The drunken scotsman Pretty ridiculous if hes in hot water for Twitter comments made years ago.
Si Thompson Looking forward to this!

Si Thompson
LeVzi I cannot wait for this. Fight of the decade already
Si Thompson
quote:
Originally posted by LeVzi:
I cannot wait for this. Fight of the decade already

The only fight I'm looking forward to at the moment. Boxing certainly ain't booming.
The drunken scotsman Classic puncher v boxer and very difficult to predict with any certainty who will win. Fury is saying hes going for the knock out this time but I cant see it being any different to the first fight where he will outbox wilder for the vast majority of the fight. Wilder has a good chin and Fury is not renowned for his power.

Can Fury avoid that right hand for 12 rounds this time? Caught twice last time but he is in much better shape and has extra fights under his belt this time. He had a really bad cut to his eye in his last fight so wilder will likely target that. Im going for a Fury points win but wont be putting any money on it.

Hope Fury can do it. Hes a great character and nobody deserves it more.
LeVzi Id love to see Fury win, but that Wilder power is a threat, every second of every round. Fury has a plan and if he can't avoid that right hand, he's going down again. BUT he is slightly more battle hardened now, that cut will be healed by now, unless they clash I don't see it being an issue.

Really on a knife edge tbh, if Wilder can't connect with him, then he's going to get a schooling. But if he does, it could be all over.
Si Thompson I agree with you both. Fury needs to be switched on for 12 rounds. If possible push Wilder back.

Keeping Wilder off balance is the key.
Si Thompson This guy is a joke! One disputed win against a top guy in 41 fights spanning nearly 16 years.

The drunken scotsman
quote:
This guy is a joke! One disputed win against a top guy in 41 fights spanning nearly 16 years.

Yeah. Lost interest in anything Kell Brook does tbh. Spent most of his career waiting on a fight that never happened v Khan and fought a load of journeymen to fill the time. Should have called it a day after being dismantled by GGG.
Si Thompson

Eddie Hearn talking bollocks as usual.

"Anthony Joshua is not a 15 stone Deontay Wilder that can punch a bit?."

Slates Deontay Wilder for having no desire, but completely forgets Joshua at MSG in the first Ruiz fight. Absolutely no self awareness. Oh, For the record. I reckon Wilder takes both AJ and Dillian Whyte's head off, I'm pretty sure of that.
Si Thompson Bad night for Eddie Hearn. Gonzalez has been a fantastic fighter over the years.

Si Thompson Fury-Wilder 3 in July according to Bob Arum. Not ideal.
The drunken scotsman
quote:
Fury-Wilder 3 in July according to Bob Arum. Not ideal.

Not ideal at all. Is anyone really interested in seeing them go a third time? Fury has absolutely schooled him over 2 fights and a third one just seems pretty pointless. Probably means at least another year before we see Fury v Joshua.
Si Thompson
quote:
quote:
Fury-Wilder 3 in July according to Bob Arum. Not ideal.

Not ideal at all. Is anyone really interested in seeing them go a third time? Fury has absolutely schooled him over 2 fights and a third one just seems pretty pointless. Probably means at least another year before we see Fury v Joshua.

A trilogy should never be based off a one sided beat down. Morales-Barrera, Gatti-Ward, Bowe-Holyfield, Marquez-Vasquez, Pacquiao-Marquez etc were all really competitive fights.

I see Joshua is fighting Pulev at Spurs ground in June.
Si Thompson Helenius with an upset last night. Kownacki was an undefeated prospect.

Si Thompson RIP Roger Mayweather. Decent fighter in his day and a world champ. Guy could punch too.

Very successful with Floyd as a trainer. Bad week for Floyd after also losing the mother of his children aged 40.

Life is fragile. Enjoy it whilst you can.

Si Thompson Just seen this in my news feed on YouTube. Posted by Sky a few days ago.

Always fun to watch back.

LeVzi
quote:
Just seen this in my news feed on YouTube. Posted by Sky a few days ago.

lol old glass jaw still barking like he's got a game ! lol
Si Thompson
quote:
quote:
Just seen this in my news feed on YouTube. Posted by Sky a few days ago.

lol old glass jaw still barking like he's got a game ! lol

Si Thompson I said Shannon Courtenay would get exposed and I was proved right in only her 6th pro fight.

She's not defensively responsible. Gets tagged far too much.

The drunken scotsman Dylan whyte v povetkin tonight. Was thinking it should be a decent scrap then I saw the price those ****s Sky are charging. ?20 for that 😂😂😂😂. Do one you utter scum.

Surely there has to be some kind of governance to this? I already pay a fortune for sky sports why should anyone have to pay an extra 20 quid to watch this fight which is essentially meaningless between two guys who cant cut it at the top level in the division. Daylight robbery. Ppv is a thing of the past and theyre milking it for all its worth before it gets shut down completely.
LeVzi Has Whyte woken up yet ?
Si Thompson
quote:
Has Whyte woken up yet ?

I told my mate yesterday not to sleep on Povetkin. I also said to watch out for the dipping and hooking off the slip. Ended up being an uppercut off the slip, so I wasn't far off. Good fight. Povetkin was down twice and in the round before the stoppage.

Didn't score the Taylor fight but I felt Persoon won. Cracking fight and both very tough women.
The drunken scotsman Womans boxing has went up in my estimation after last night and the recent Natasha Jonas fight.

Brutal ko for Povetkin last night. Heavyweight boxing in a nutshell, whyte was on top but one punch changed it in a flash. Whyte has a pretty decent chin as well which shows just how good a punch that was.
LeVzi I still say Whyte cut too much weight and that's made a difference. That uppercut would put most to sleep tbh. Was flush.
Si Thompson
quote:
I still say Whyte cut too much weight and that's made a difference. That uppercut would put most to sleep tbh. Was flush.

Whyte just isn't as good as people were making out. This has been coming for a while.

Was in trouble with Parker, dropped by Rivas. He looked terrible against Marius Wach.
Si Thompson I shall be watching Josh Taylor tonight on BT Sport. He's fighting Apinun Khongsong from Thailand.

Both 16-0. Khongsong has got a 80 odd per cent KO ratio but hasn't fought out of Thailand/Japan.

Plus Taylor has mixed at a higher level.

Also, Jermall Charlo is fighting Sergiy Derevyanchenko. I give Derevyanchenko a real chance at upsetting Charlo.
Si Thompson This was fight of the year for me in 2020.

Last Saturday. Jose Zepeda-Ivan Baranchyk. 7 knockdowns and a monster KO to finish.

Si Thompson Been saying for a few years that this kid is the real deal.

LeVzi I only saw the Usyk - Chisora fight, and I was very disappointed by Uysk, hes 10lbs too light and 40lbs of power too little. He's not going to be able to out box better fighters and reply on his speed and chin. A bigger boxer with better ability than delboy is going to batter Usyk. So I hope he realises now he's a very small heavyweight with no knockout power, and he needs to sort that out. Good fighter he is, he's no Evander Holyfield.
Si Thompson
quote:
I only saw the Usyk - Chisora fight, and I was very disappointed by Uysk, hes 10lbs too light and 40lbs of power too little. He's not going to be able to out box better fighters and reply on his speed and chin. A bigger boxer with better ability than delboy is going to batter Usyk. So I hope he realises now he's a very small heavyweight with no knockout power, and he needs to sort that out. Good fighter he is, he's no Evander Holyfield.

I watched it too. Usyk did what he had to against a passed prime Chisora. He wasn't a concussive puncher at Cruiserweight, so I've always had reservations about him moving up. I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread.

Styles make fights, and I think he could cause Joshua some problems with his lateral movement, but Fury is a different beast altogether. I agree, he's no Evander Holyfield, and even David Haye could bang and carried his power up to Heavyweight. His size and lack of power at Heavyweight may hinder him as he steps up.
Si Thompson Just watching the Joshua-Pulev undercard. Hughie Fury up next against Marius Wach.

He will no doubt stink the gaff out.
Samination so, who's up to see Jake Paul getting his snot beaten out of him?
LeVzi Pulev has done well to fight twice for the heavyweight championship of the world, he's Bulgarias best boxer of all time and he done them proud.

Joshua on the other hand, looked awful in the first few rounds and when asked if he wanted the the Fury fight, didn't answer.

He's gonna get battered, Fury is going to destroy him with a display of boxing.
The drunken scotsman Was a good knock out. Pulev was tough but never really threatened. Dont think Fury will have much to fear after watching Joshuas last few fights even after that KO. Looked like there was still a bit of bad blood between Joshua and Pulev at the end.
Si Thompson
quote:
Was a good knock out. Pulev was tough but never really threatened. Dont think Fury will have much to fear after watching Joshuas last few fights even after that KO. Looked like there was still a bit of bad blood between Joshua and Pulev at the end.

Pulev was very one dimensional. Offered nothing offensively.

On paper, Fury plays with Joshua.
The drunken scotsman
quote:
quote:
Was a good knock out. Pulev was tough but never really threatened. Dont think Fury will have much to fear after watching Joshuas last few fights even after that KO. Looked like there was still a bit of bad blood between Joshua and Pulev at the end.

Yes I think fury is a level above Joshua and any other challenges currently in the division. Hopefully gets made for next year when fans allowed back fully - will be a huge fight. Think id look forward to the build up as much as the fight itself.
Si Thompson
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes I think fury is a level above Joshua and any other challenges currently in the division. Hopefully gets made for next year when fans allowed back fully - will be a huge fight. Think id look forward to the build up as much as the fight itself.

Fury could hang in any era. He is that good.
Si Thompson This looks decent. Premiered 2 weeks ago on Showtime in America.

Camacho was a right character in and out of the ring.

Si Thompson

Billy Joe makes me smile. Says the Canelo fight needs to be in strong talks or sealed in the next two weeks or he's moving on.

1. It's Christmas and New Year
2. We are in a Pandemic
3. Canelo literally just fought on Saturday

Billy Joe doesn't want the fight. He didn't want the GGG fight either. He is more concerned with keeping his 0
The drunken scotsman Canelo v Billy joe Saunders this weekend. What is the outcome of this fight? Canelo knock out surely?
Si Thompson
quote:
Canelo v Billy joe Saunders this weekend. What is the outcome of this fight? Canelo knock out surely?

Depends. Billy Joe has a small chance, he's slick, moves well. Hard to look passed Canelo though.

Canelo on points seems the likely result IMO. I'm proper looking forward to it.
The drunken scotsman Cant see BJS getting a decision against Canelo even if he does win enough rounds in the eyes of most. As good as he is, Canelo sums up everything I hate about boxing and the corruption involved. BJS is just a prick. Will def be an interesting match up though.
Si Thompson
quote:
Cant see BJS getting a decision against Canelo even if he does win enough rounds in the eyes of most. As good as he is, Canelo sums up everything I hate about boxing and the corruption involved. BJS is just a prick. Will def be an interesting match up though.

Well. We saw what happened when Mayweather won pretty much every round against Canelo in 2013. CJ Ross scoring it 113-113. Boxing judges are some of the most corrupt bastards about.

The under card isn't great but I'll be defo all over the main event. Good match-up stylistically on paper.
Si Thompson I'm guessing Billy Joe wants a bigger ring, which would make sense. He's going to use his legs and be the out-boxer. A smaller ring works in Canelo's favour.

The drunken scotsman I remember Klitschkos team tried a similar stunt before the fight with Fury when there was an extra layer of padding under the canvas which would have worked in Klitschkos favour. These gypos dont take any shite!
Si Thompson
quote:
I remember Klitschkos team tried a similar stunt before the fight with Fury when there was an extra layer of padding under the canvas which would have worked in Klitschkos favour. These gypos dont take any shite!

Haha. Yes.. The canvas was too soft which would've hindered Fury's movement.
LeVzi I got DAZN for the fight, 4am ring walk I believe. Was a bit disappointed Chisora Parker was on box office, not DAZN.
Si Thompson
quote:
Was a bit disappointed Chisora Parker was on box office, not DAZN.

I wasn't. No interest in Joseph Parker whatsoever.

He's earned a fortune in those two fights with Joshua and Whyte and did next to **** all.

He turned up to go 12 rounds and get a pay check.
Si Thompson Billy Joe Saunders should've been watching this fight during camp.

Pernell Whitaker showing what it's like being an out-boxer, mixing it up when needed, getting off first and getting off first out of the clinch. Also, turning his opponent in close proximity.

Chavez was 87-0 going into this fight. Sweet Pea was robbed also.

I'll be rooting for Saunders tonight. He has every chance to win this. But he will be against the judges too.
The drunken scotsman So BJS pulled out at the end of 8th after what looked quite a brutal injury to his eye socket. Ive only seen the highlights but it looked like he was doing ok up to that point so its a shame it had to end that way. Was always going to be a tough challenge against Canelo.
LeVzi Broken his orbital bone by the looks, and from what i'm hearing through the media now. He was doing alright tbh prior to that. Fight was probably even, but Canelo has some pretty nasty power. He was probably juiced up before the fight.
Si Thompson Saunders had some success when he gave different looks and worked off the jab, but wasn't busy enough for me. Canelo is very strong at Middleweight. I can't see anyone from 160-168 beating him.

Here's the highlights.

LeVzi Apparently his orbital bone and cheek is busted in 3 different places. I'd say thats career over tbh.
Si Thompson
quote:
Apparently his orbital bone and cheek is busted in 3 different places. I'd say thats career over tbh.

Could well be. Fighters aren't usually the same after that type of injury.

I remember Antonio Margarito suffering an orbital bone break in the Pacquiao beat down back in 2010.

Robert Garcia should've pulled Margarito out of that fight. He ended up having reconstructive surgery.
Si Thompson Pacquiao was amazing this night. Totally bust Margarito up.

The state of Margarito's eye. Jeez!

LeVzi Fking hell his eye !!!
Mickey Init Just catching up on the last few days... what a circus of a sport!
LeVzi Yep now the Fury AJ fight is off.

**** boxing tbh
The drunken scotsman Josh Taylor v Jose Ramirez this weekend. Huge fight for Josh. His scrap with Regis Prograis in 2019 was a classic. Hoping for the same outcome tomorrow.
Si Thompson
quote:
Josh Taylor v Jose Ramirez this weekend. Huge fight for Josh. His scrap with Regis Prograis in 2019 was a classic. Hoping for the same outcome tomorrow.

Yes. Really good fight!
The drunken scotsman Excellent win for Josh last night and another brilliant fight. He is fast becoming one of my favourite boxers to watch. Score cards were miles off it though, had it much wider than 114-112 especially considering the two knock downs. Main thing is the decision was correct.
Si Thompson
quote:
Excellent win for Josh last night and another brilliant fight. He is fast becoming one of my favourite boxers to watch. Score cards were miles off it though, had it much wider than 114-112 especially considering the two knock downs. Main thing is the decision was correct.

Still got the fight to watch. Yes. Great win for Josh. Must be British number 1 now. I still have Fury as the best fighter in Britain, but Josh's recent wins and becoming undisputed has to get him number 1 slot.

I've seen talk of Terence Crawford. That's a tough fight!
The drunken scotsman
quote:
quote:
Excellent win for Josh last night and another brilliant fight. He is fast becoming one of my favourite boxers to watch. Score cards were miles off it though, had it much wider than 114-112 especially considering the two knock downs. Main thing is the decision was correct.

Still got the fight to watch. Yes. Great win for Josh. Must be British number 1 now. I still have Fury as the best fighter in Britain, but Josh's recent wins and becoming undisputed has to get him number 1 slot.

I've seen talk of Terence Crawford. That's a tough fight!

I stayed up for it on Saturday night and it was worth it. Very good fight.

He has only had 18 fights and is undisputed champ already with some great wins on his record. For comparison Floyd Mayweather won his first world title on his 18th fight. Josh gets a bit too involved in a scrap when boxing clever would be the more sensible option at times but thats what is so exciting about him.

I think he would like a couple of defences at light welterweight including a fight in Edinburgh but money talks and stepping up a weight to face Crawford might happen soon. That would be a tough ask though. Also potential for rematches with Ramirez and Prograis although Im not sure either will make sense for him.
Si Thompson A big home coming is fully deserved, but @ 140 there's nobody there unless he rematches Prograis.

A move up to Welterweight is inevitable.

I see Manny Pacquiao is fighting Errol Spence Jr. If Manny pulls that off he's a top 5 all time great.
LeVzi After listening to John Fury and Eddie Hearn this morning in interviews, this whole Fury Wilder situation stinks to high heaven.

I really think Fury will lose a lot of his support now, because he's not kicked up a fuss over this, as John Fury said, throw the WBC belt in the bin and fight AJ.

I don't trust Bob Arum at all tbh. This is the American market dictating boxing and that's the final straw to me.

Fury vs Wilder and AJ vs Uysk , both men could lose their belts here. Uysk is a superior boxer to anyone AJ has faced, but he's just not as big or powerful.

Wilder will be a different beast 3rd time around, Fury could get complacent.

**** heavyweight boxing tbh, piss poor promotion.
The drunken scotsman Nobody wants to see fury v wilder again. The second fight was just such a one-sided beat down that you cant justify a 3rd fight. However im also a little concerned that Fury wont have the motivation to do the same again and could get caught by Wilder or go the distance where he could easily get stuffed by corrupt judges.

Usyk also a dangerous fight for AJ , by no means a guaranteed win for him. Now a lot of doubt if we will ever see Fury v Joshua.
Si Thompson
quote:
After listening to John Fury and Eddie Hearn this morning in interviews, this whole Fury Wilder situation stinks to high heaven.

I really think Fury will lose a lot of his support now, because he's not kicked up a fuss over this, as John Fury said, throw the WBC belt in the bin and fight AJ.

I don't trust Bob Arum at all tbh. This is the American market dictating boxing and that's the final straw to me.

Fury vs Wilder and AJ vs Uysk , both men could lose their belts here. Uysk is a superior boxer to anyone AJ has faced, but he's just not as big or powerful.

Wilder will be a different beast 3rd time around, Fury could get complacent.

**** heavyweight boxing tbh, piss poor promotion.

I'm no Eddie Hearn fan, but from what I can see so far, It does appear that way.

As for those two fights. Yep. Wilder could catch Fury at any point and is always dangerous being such a big puncher. Usyk could out-box AJ, but they would likely rob Usyk on the cards.

I'm really disappointed AJ-Fury is not going ahead.
Si Thompson
quote:
Nobody wants to see fury v wilder again. The second fight was just such a one-sided beat down that you cant justify a 3rd fight. However im also a little concerned that Fury wont have the motivation to do the same again and could get caught by Wilder or go the distance where he could easily get stuffed by corrupt judges.

Usyk also a dangerous fight for AJ , by no means a guaranteed win for him. Now a lot of doubt if we will ever see Fury v Joshua.

Yep. I agree with all of that.
LeVzi
quote:
Nobody wants to see fury v wilder again. The second fight was just such a one-sided beat down that you cant justify a 3rd fight. However im also a little concerned that Fury wont have the motivation to do the same again and could get caught by Wilder or go the distance where he could easily get stuffed by corrupt judges.

Agreed, I think America's stronghold on the heavyweight division is pathetic, they are dictating everything for their terms. Fury AJ was the fight the world wanted, but because it didn't involve them, they pulled the plug.

As John Fury said, why isn't Tyson kicking off big time. He seems brainwashed by Arum and his team now.

I fear he will get sparked by a different Wilder. If Wilder ups his boxing, with his power, he's actually going to be dangerous. Question is, is he capable of becoming a better boxer since the last fight and keep Fury at bay.
Si Thompson
quote:
quote:

Agreed, I think America's stronghold on the heavyweight division is pathetic, they are dictating everything for their terms. Fury AJ was the fight the world wanted, but because it didn't involve them, they pulled the plug.

As John Fury said, why isn't Tyson kicking off big time. He seems brainwashed by Arum and his team now.

I fear he will get sparked by a different Wilder. If Wilder ups his boxing, with his power, he's actually going to be dangerous. Question is, is he capable of becoming a better boxer since the last fight and keep Fury at bay.

Wilder may iron out a few things but I can't see him improving basic fundamentals that much this late in his career. Fury can beat Wilder any way he chooses, he just needs to avoid making mistakes.

Pushing Wilder back and being the aggressor is the key to victory again. Wilder can't fight going backwards. We also don't know what psychological damage he suffered from the first fight. He may well have left a piece of himself in the ring that night. Some fighters are never the same after a beating like that. Meldrick Taylor in 1990 against Julio Cesar Chavez is a prime example.
LeVzi
quote:
quote:
quote:

Wilder may iron out a few things but I can't see him improving basic fundamentals that much this late in his career. Fury can beat Wilder any way he chooses, he just needs to avoid making mistakes.

Pushing Wilder back and being the aggressor is the key to victory again. Wilder can't fight going backwards. We also don't know what psychological damage he suffered from the first fight. He may well have left a piece of himself in the ring that night. Some fighters are never the same after a beating like that. Meldrick Taylor in 1990 against Julio Cesar Chavez is a prime example.

I think we'll know more about Fury than Wilder in the fight. If Fury is complacent he's going to sit back and get caught again with that right hand.

I agree that Wilder cant change much this short term.

The Uysk AJ fight needs to happen, as I see Uysk winning it tbh.
Si Thompson
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I think we'll know more about Fury than Wilder in the fight. If Fury is complacent he's going to sit back and get caught again with that right hand.

I agree that Wilder cant change much this short term.

The Uysk AJ fight needs to happen, as I see Uysk winning it tbh.

I actually don't mind AJ-Usyk from a Boxing purist point of view. I believe he has the style to beat AJ too.
LeVzi Uysks chin will be tested, and being the smaller guy power will be an issue, but I believe AJ has not got a great chin and leaves it hanging out there too easily, so Uysk being a better boxer, might land flush and we'll see if AJ still goes all weak kneed.

A much better fight to watch than Fury Wilder.

Uysk not right in the head, the guy got a screw loose, so I got my money on him.
Si Thompson Fury-Wilder 3 press conference from the other day.

Wilder sat there with headphones on refusing to speak. Poor optics.

He could've at least spoke about all those excuses he made and the split with Mark Breland, who he accused of spiking his water. I hope Fury smashes him.

LeVzi I thought it showed he can't handle Fury's mind games. He's already a beaten man imo, and he is trying to keep Fury out of his head, but he can't.

Fury needs to still be very aware of that right hand again, and he won't be able to batter him from the bell like last time. I can't see Fury developing "1 punch KO power" tbh, he's just not built for it, and tbh if he goes to KO Wilder early, I see him getting sparked out.

This fight shouldn't be happening, and Wilder is a PoS tbh for forcing it after being beaten so badly last time.
Si Thompson
quote:
I thought it showed he can't handle Fury's mind games. He's already a beaten man imo, and he is trying to keep Fury out of his head, but he can't.

Fury needs to still be very aware of that right hand again, and he won't be able to batter him from the bell like last time. I can't see Fury developing "1 punch KO power" tbh, he's just not built for it, and tbh if he goes to KO Wilder early, I see him getting sparked out.

This fight shouldn't be happening, and Wilder is a PoS tbh for forcing it after being beaten so badly last time.

Same game plan as last time is the key to victory. Educated pressure and break Wilder down. Lean on him in clinches and not let Wilder get set to throw that right hand.

Yeah. Should've been AJ-Fury, but I'm still looking forward to both fights.
LeVzi I havent been following it tbh, but there is talk about AJ vs Uysk.

tbh if AJ wins that fight, i'd be impressed. Uysk is a country mile the better boxer, and I dont care what anyone says Uysk has a screw loose, his eyes tell a story.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CoachLRJ/status/1399002364254822406/photo/1

Even the comments say it. All depends how big he's managed to get.
Si Thompson David Haye LOL.

Si Thompson Excellent documentary on probably the biggest puncher P4P in the history of Boxing.

The drunken scotsman Usyk beats AJ with ease.

Was a decent fight but Usyks class showed through in the end. Unlike Joshuas loss to Ruiz when there were mitigating circumstances and a straightforward win in the rematch - I dont see any way back for him this time. Usyk is all wrong for him.

Its a shame as we can basically forget Fury v Joshua now but Usyk v Fury should be a good one.
LeVzi
quote:
Usyk beats AJ with ease.

Was a decent fight but Usyks class showed through in the end. Unlike Joshuas loss to Ruiz when there were mitigating circumstances and a straightforward win in the rematch - I dont see any way back for him this time. Usyk is all wrong for him.

Its a shame as we can basically forget Fury v Joshua now but Usyk v Fury should be a good one.

Quite honestly a schooling. Joshua really showed his lack of boxing ability, and Usyk showed his pure boxing ability.

I've not enjoyed a fight as much since Fury Wilder 2.

I don't care how the media spin it, Joshua was really hurt in the corner after the fight, there are rumours of his eye socket being broken (We heard that with the BJS fight though) but he looked in agony after the final bell, and like he was struggling to deal with the pain. We will never know but Usyk hits harder than anyone gives him credit for.

Fury Usyk just became the fight I am more keen to see than any other, 2 great boxers. Might be boring for some, but for purists , it will be a wet dream.
Si Thompson Scored it 118-110 for Usyk. Broken rhythms, different looks, constant feints. Excellent performance.

Howard Foster once again showing what an incompetent twat he is. His card was 115-113.

Campbell Hatton lost to Martinez also. Proper Home cooked decision in the UK, yet again!
The drunken scotsman Yes that was some statement from Usyk last night - he has well and truly arrived on the heavyweight scene after a couple of questionable performances before this. We all knew he was great but he could go on to become an all time great if he unifies. Will be tough against Fury though assuming he beats Wilder again and they look for a unification.

As for Joshua, I actually thought he was ok last night but it just seemed that Usyk had an answer for absolutely everything. Would he have fared better if he came in heavier to use the size advantage more? Probably not but hopefully we find out in the rematch.

He could do worse than change his trainer. McCracken has obviously worked at the top level for a long time but sometimes a fresh pair of eyes and a new plan can freshen a fighter up.

Its really up to AJ, does he want to be loyal, scrap around the fringes for a couple of years then get his arse handed to him by whoever emerges dominant from a Fury v Usyk saga or does he want to seek out improvement and try something knew?
Si Thompson I would pick Fury over Usyk. Both excellent technicians, but Fury has more variety and the size advantage.

Wilder is still a dangerous fight next month, though. I'm hoping Fury sticks with the same game plan as last time. Push him back and be the aggressor.
LeVzi
quote:
I havent been following it tbh, but there is talk about AJ vs Uysk.

tbh if AJ wins that fight, i'd be impressed. Uysk is a country mile the better boxer, and I dont care what anyone says Uysk has a screw loose, his eyes tell a story.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CoachLRJ/status/1399002364254822406/photo/1

Even the comments say it. All depends how big he's managed to get.

I knew I called it. I've always said, after the Bellew fight, if Usyk can get the weight up and hold it well, he'll beat anyone in his way.

I think he can beat Fury, because even the smaller boxer can win, Usyk would have a plan for anything he meets.

But I am only interested in seeing Fury Usyk now, its the best boxing matchup i've seen for a long long time in the HW division. Only Lewis Holyfield interested me more.

People are comparing Usyk to Holyfield, I think its a bit early for that, but he's certainly shown he's the most talented boxer in the division with the possible exception of Fury.

Fury vs Wilder, If Fury goes after him again, keeps him on the backfoot, but uses his size advantage, he can nullify the big right hand like he did last time.

I just worry how effected his mind is after his daughter was so ill. I think she's OK now, so hopefully he's good to go.
LeVzi I was watching Calzaghe fights last night, jeez, i'd forgotten how fast he was. Those punches people called slaps were anything but.

Joe one of my favourite fighters of all time, just cos of his dogged workrate and hand speed.

Si Thompson
quote:
I was watching Calzaghe fights last night, jeez, i'd forgotten how fast he was. Those punches people called slaps were anything but.

Joe one of my favourite fighters of all time, just cos of his dogged workrate and hand speed.

javascript:sup();

This was 2003. Calzaghe started cuffing his shots later on in his career. He had hand troubles.

Joe was an excellent fighter, but his resume isn't great. Far too many WBO mandatory opponents, which is similar to European level opposition. He should've given Robin Reid a rematch, and moved up to Light Heavyweight sooner. Gone over to the states sooner. Frank Warren did the same as he did with Eubank. Kept him England. Plenty of guys he could've fought like Winky Wright, William Joppy, Antonio Tarver, Glen Johnson, Carl Froch, Jermain Taylor, Andre Ward and Chad Dawson. Even a prime Roy Jones..

Kessler win is very good, and the Hopkins win (albeit a close one). A win that's aged like fine wine when you consider what Hopkins went on to do.
LeVzi You forgot the Lacy fight too, Joe's resume is pretty much what was put in front of him.

I wish the Roy Jones fight had happened, and Joe was capable of winning it too, that will forever plague him.

I wanna meet Joe, seems a top bloke. Collins dodged him for sure.
Si Thompson
quote:
You forgot the Lacy fight too, Joe's resume is pretty much what was put in front of him.

I wish the Roy Jones fight had happened, and Joe was capable of winning it too, that will forever plague him.

Lacy was a hype job. Calzaghe wouldn't beat a prime Roy Jones. He was good, but prime Jones was special.
LeVzi
quote:
quote:
You forgot the Lacy fight too, Joe's resume is pretty much what was put in front of him.

Lacy was a hype job. Calzaghe wouldn't beat a prime Roy Jones. He was good, but prime Jones was special.

It would have been a good fight, and with Calzaghe's heart, and speed, it would have not been a walk in the park , like everyone seems to think.

But Lacys reputation wasn't hype, thats BS. He had a decent Amateur career and was moving through people quickly as a pro. He had a big punch too. He was expected to walk through Joe. He got schooled by a superior boxer.
Si Thompson
quote:
quote:
quote:

It would have been a good fight, and with Calzaghe's heart, and speed, it would have not been a walk in the park , like everyone seems to think.

But Lacys reputation wasn't hype, thats BS. He had a decent Amateur career and was moving through people quickly as a pro. He had a big punch too. He was expected to walk through Joe. He got schooled by a superior boxer.

It's not BS at all. If you look at the opponents Lacy had fought up to Joe Calzaghe. His best wins were against Syd Vanderpool, who was a C+ fighter at best, and a passed prime Robin Reid. He hadn't beaten any top guys. So whoever expected him to walk through Calzaghe purely based this off hype.

As for the amateurs. I don't recall Lacy beating anyone of note, and as we all know, the transition from amateur to pro doesn't always go well. Example: Audley Harrison, and Harrison was a gold medallist.
LeVzi Well Lacy turned out to be nothing special, but then when you watch the fight, I don't care what boxer it was, Joe totally was on another level and that level would have given anyone a fight.

But its all in the past now.

Looking at the press conference last night, Fury his normal self Wilder quiet reserved, but tbh I dont wanna call this fight, i've been saying Fury obviously after the last one, but puncher always got a chance.

I just hope I can find a stable stream lol
Si Thompson
quote:
Well Lacy turned out to be nothing special, but then when you watch the fight, I don't care what boxer it was, Joe totally was on another level and that level would have given anyone a fight.

But its all in the past now.

Looking at the press conference last night, Fury his normal self Wilder quiet reserved, but tbh I dont wanna call this fight, i've been saying Fury obviously after the last one, but puncher always got a chance.

I just hope I can find a stable stream lol

That's how I see it. Wilder is still so dangerous with that right hand. If he loses in similar fashion to the last fight, I'm not sure where he goes. I am actually really looking forward to this.

Undercard is decent too. Much better than the AJ-Usyk one, which was poor. Efe Ajagba vs Frank Sanchez is an interesting one. Both undefeated and both can dig.
LeVzi I am looking forward to it too, we will see if Fury's boxing brain is as good as thought to be.

Because he wont be able to bully Wilder again like he did.

I'll be lucky to find a stream tbh so I wont see the undercard.

Si Thompson
quote:
I am looking forward to it too, we will see if Fury's boxing brain is as good as thought to be.

Because he wont be able to bully Wilder again like he did.

I'll be lucky to find a stream tbh so I wont see the undercard.

Fury can bully him again with effective aggression, but there's a few things to consider. How is Wilder mentally after the last fight?, what weight he comes in at (as for a big guy he mostly comes in light), and has he made any improvements/adjustments under Malik Scott. If any of those are a miss, and Fury is on form, Wilder gets stopped again. Maybe even sooner.

Even though Fury has dominated both fights, It is still a fight that could go either way. That's the beauty of this matchup. I'm not even going to make a prediction, and just enjoy it.

If you need to grab any fights the next day, then 'All the best fights' is the place to go. Both Boxing and Mma.

https://www.allthebestfights.com/
LeVzi They both came in heavy. Wilder is going for the complete knockout.

Now Fury needs to stay away from that right hand and be switched on for 12.

Yes, going to be a good fight.

I can't find a time for the ring walks though.
The drunken scotsman Not been paying much attention to this one tbh. Was done and dusted after the second fight. Definitely wont be staying up or setting an alarm to watch it live.
Si Thompson
LeVzi What a fking fight. Best boxing match i've seen in a long time.

Had everything, controvasy , drama, and pure heart.

When Wilder went down first I thought that was it. But then he drops Fury twice in the next round.

Then I thought that was it, but next round again, he eyes were clear, that man has some unreal recovery

Then he just ground down Wilder and dropped him again.

I hope thats the end of this rivalry, Wilder is a classless bum tbh.

I think they said Whyte is next for Fury, which is shit but WBC are demanding it, I want to see Usyk v Fury now, and I actually don't have a clue how to call that. I think Fury is just too big but Usyk is a boxer and a half two, but we'll have to wait for that. He got the AJ clause next. If AJ wins, has to be the following fight, AJ vs Fury.

Anyway, I am still buzzing after that fight, was awesome.
Si Thompson
quote:
What a fking fight. Best boxing match i've seen in a long time.

When Wilder went down first I thought that was it. But then he drops Fury twice in the next round.

Then I thought that was it, but next round again, he eyes were clear, that man has some unreal recovery

I think they said Whyte is next for Fury, which is shit but WBC are demanding it, I want to see Usyk v Fury now, and I actually don't have a clue how to call that. I think Fury is just too big but Usyk is a boxer and a half two, but we'll have to wait for that. He got the AJ clause next. If AJ wins, has to be the following fight, AJ vs Fury.

Unbelievable fight. Up there with some of the best Heavyweight fights of all time.

Wilder was classless with his comments at the end and has really shown what type of person he is. However, he showed heart. If Fury didn't smoother his work so much and took a step back, he would've been able to get more shots off following the right hand. He could've got him out of there sooner.
LeVzi
quote:
quote:

Unbelievable fight. Up there with some of the best Heavyweight fights of all time.

Wilder was classless with his comments at the end and has really shown what type of person he is. However, he showed heart. If Fury didn't smoother his work so much and took a step back, he would've been able to get more shots off following the right hand. He could've got him out of there sooner.

Totally classless, was disgusting to see.

I question now how effective that right hand is, because twice he dropped Fury and Fury got up.

Did he break his hand ?
Si Thompson
quote:
quote:
quote:

Totally classless, was disgusting to see.

I question now how effective that right hand is, because twice he dropped Fury and Fury got up.

Did he break his hand ?

Oh, the right hand is legit. If you notice, the first one that dropped Fury with the delayed reaction was right on the forehead, the hardest part of the head, and it still scrambled him. Fury has a good chin and recovery powers. Fury is also good at taking the sting off shots with his upper body & head movement, although, he was much more stationary this fight. He also does the right thing when he goes down, he takes his time and uses the whole count, which is what you should do. I've seen so many fighters jump straight back up and their legs are gone. Zab Judah against Kosta Tszyu springs to mind..

I saw that with the right hand, Andre Ward on commentary said it's a habit, he does it in most fights. Leo Santa Cruz has a similar tick, he shakes the right hand after throwing it. The problem with Wilder, was either loading up too much, or telegraphing the right hand. He started off strong with the jab to the body in round 1. He then deployed it from round 2 and started to look tired.
LeVzi Nah he broke his hand, I thought as much, I think the shot on the top of Furys head did it.

He was "discharged" from hospital with a broken hand.

You dont get admitted with a broken hand, so I think there is a lot more going on they are not talking about.

He was bleeding from his ear again, and he looked like he had a massive concussion.

He's now got to go away and fight lesser fighters and build back up, he cannot challenge Fury again.

I saw an interview with Ruiz after the fight he kinda hinted towards Fury but he'd do well to go against Wilder.
Si Thompson
quote:
Nah he broke his hand, I thought as much, I think the shot on the top of Furys head did it.

He was "discharged" from hospital with a broken hand.

You dont get admitted with a broken hand, so I think there is a lot more going on they are not talking about.

He was bleeding from his ear again, and he looked like he had a massive concussion.

He's now got to go away and fight lesser fighters and build back up, he cannot challenge Fury again.

I saw an interview with Ruiz after the fight he kinda hinted towards Fury but he'd do well to go against Wilder.

Broken finger on his right hand as per Dan Rafael. Shelley Finkle being the source.

I'll accept that. Even though Wilder is the biggest excuse maker I have ever seen in Boxing.
Mickey Init Just seen that Wilder wants Joshua next.
Would make a decent undercard for Fury vs Usyk.
Si Thompson
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey Init:
Just seen that Wilder wants Joshua next.

Eddie Hearn wouldn't want the Wilder fight. Too risky with little reward.

However, if we are talking hypothetically. I would love a double header like that.

Mickey Init
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey Init:
Just seen that Wilder wants Joshua next.

Eddie Hearn wouldn't want the Wilder fight. Too risky with little reward.

However, if we are talking hypothetically. I would love a double header like that.

It was tongue-in-cheek, as in it's no longer worthy of a main event now that they?ve both had their reputations damaged by recent outcomes.
It's true that I read an article with Wilder's trainer saying that, though, re: AJ.
But nobody will be interested in the Wilder vs Joshua match anymore. Not as much as they once were anyway. The heavyweights are all between the ages of 31-35, so there won?t be time for them all to box each other now.
Fury, Usyk, Whyte just get on with it when it comes to the matchups, and that is the attitude the fans will will want to see for now.
I don?t blame AJ, though. He's decent. Eddie Hearn has just overestimated his mileage and got it wrong.
It's not the end for AJ, but he/his generation has been overshadowed by Fury, so he can only realistically claim back pride now, rather than top spot.

Si Thompson Whyte was never going to do much. Fury levels above.

Si Thompson Bivol was superb last night. Proper disciplined performance. Landed clean shots, patient, kept his shape well, excellent jab. Canelo was out of ideas. Beaten by a well schooled Light Heavyweight.

It took 6.28 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page