Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 ? The future of hardcore ?
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Heist
Advanced Member

Australia
706 posts
Posted - 2001/11/06 :  03:06:11  Show profile Send a private message

While a lot of people may say the scene is growing again, I have my doubts towrds the future of the once great genre known only as 'Hardcore'.

Technically the scene may be growing or at least plateued, but the music is doubtlessly stagnating.

95% of hardcore artists out there are people that have been in the scene from the beginning or the days of pre 1996 when the scene still had a wider respect owing not entirely but mostly to its drum and bass/breakbeat component.

Quote By Dj Luna C

"Basically, in my opinion, Happy Hardcore has got itself stuck in a repetitive loop of pianos/live vocals/4x4 kicks, and its selling very little, and becoming tedious. I can see Drum'n'Bass going the same way. In my opinion its because as each style separates into sub-styles (eg D'n'B becomes Jump Up, Intelligent, Jungle etc) the artists in each genre have less freedom, and the music gets boring. So, I propose to take it back to the old way of doing things, ie. do what you want. Choose your style"

I complely agree.

To all budding artists out there, I urge you to come with me and take influence from all posible areas of electronic music and beyond. Hardcore can be great, respectable and a real rival to the genres stealing hardcore's thunder at the moment (Hard House, and ****IN GARIDGE!!) (Pronounced like the british tossers who are into it).

I am releasing a Cd titled DEPTH PERCEPTION with the moniker of hardcore for the 21st century. It draws on oldskool + Newskool hardcore, Techno, NRG and tribal elements and i hope it will be influential in the genre bending process.

Putting breakbeats back into hardcore isn't enough for me. I wan't hardcore to be a truly eclectic, multi influenced genre that doesn't need boundaries.

155-170 bpm, Breakbeats, Kicks, Shuffle, Techy loops whatever you like! Meld happy vocals with dark basslines. Cheezy melodies vs deep haunting arangements. Subtlety and Full Boar Beats, whatever! Its up to you, but keep it hardcore.

Agree? Disagree completely? I want to know what we all want for the future of hardcore!

www.mp3.com/djheist

Alert moderator
Brian K
Advanced Member

United States
8,663 posts

528 hardcore releases
Brian K has attended 5 events
Posted - 2001/11/06 :  06:35:40  Show profile  Send a private message
agree, i found myself reading what chris wrote very very true. once a music becomes a "genre," it begins to get monotinous. boundries get set up in which i think most people feel they have to work in.
i too think that the boundries need to knocked down. i remember back in the day when i first started going to parties, being all ignorant of what the music "genre" was just enjoying the music. everything as far as i knew was "rave" music =P

"If Yoda so smart in Force is, why words in right order he put not?"

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Brum Raver
Starting Member

United Kingdom
8 posts
Posted - 2001/11/06 :  08:27:29  Show profile  Send a private message
I completely agree, so long as there isn't a knee jerk reaction to change the scene too much too quickly.

I think Happy Hardcore really kicked off in '94 with tunes like Life Force Generator and since then there have been many different styles including breaks, techno, 4-beat and more that we have all been happy to call Happy Hardcore. There's no reason to suppose different influences and styles could not once more all be combined to produce an unbeatable HHC scene going forward.

I also think that we will naturally move back to hardcore with different styles purely because DJs and producers will themselves get bored of making tunes with no variation, innovation or experimentation.

Let's hope so anyway. I trully believe Hardcore (and in my case Happy Hardcore) really will never die. It's too good to die. Simple as that.

Bowlers Crew this one's for you!

plasma

United States
27 posts
Posted - 2001/11/06 :  08:38:38  Show profile  Send a private message
I think hhc is in a bit of a loop, however, There are plenty of people like myself that are into the artistic aspect of music. I'm working on two tracks now that I am having trouble classifying, which is good, that means its different.(I'll try to make it available for download asap,so y'all can check it out.)genres suck, I dont understand how people can love one kind of music, and hate another. my friend and I just finished a cd thats hhc vs. d&b. its totally sick, but some have trouble with it because its two different "genres" I think its more the d&b kids who dont accept it. most of them dont realize how closely related the two are. I'll try to get it ready to download today.I'm sure y'all would enjoy it.

It's ok to be drunk before noon.

Brian K
Advanced Member

United States
8,663 posts

528 hardcore releases
Posted - 2001/11/06 :  11:24:05  Show profile  Send a private message
i meant to write more this morning but i had to run to lab...

yeah, hhc doesn't need to change drastically (not yet atleast =P), just like adding a lil bit here and there. you know, a gradual progression. i know progression sounds scary to a lot of people but i want it damn it! =P

one thing for sure that i think it needs to keep however is it has to have an edge to it. of course by this i mean it has to have a hard dance appeal. i know people are trying to take it in the slower direction, that's ok, just keep it "hardcore."
the reason i fell in love with the scene in genreal was because it had a rawness to it. there was no limits and no boundries, but of course obvioulsy there are now boundries.

what i would love to see, other than myself getting into production =P, are new tunes that you can't put a label on it. having an implementation of everything we can use to date, and then some. maybe even breaking down the whole 4/4 and maybe switching it up into a 3/4 swing or something.
i'm starting to ramble on so i think i'll cut this short =P

Midway_raver
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,032 posts
Midway_raver has attended 2 events
Posted - 2001/11/06 :  13:47:18  Show profile  Send a private message
whats wrong with happy hardcore the way it is, ok we seen a progression from teh stuff we had in 94 then 96 now 2001 we are still with one basic formula happy and hard ok we need new influences but the stuff coming from hixxy is to trance influenced for me. maybe we shud just keep to wot we no best..just great vocals screechin ova a banging 4x4 beat!!! Why fix what aint broke?! i been listenin to hardcore for as long as i can remeber i.e. 92 n evryting dats made teh genre of hardcore / happy hardcore great has came from weithin its self neve rhave we used infulences really from House poo or garage n only just started usin trance influences fuk that!!!!

Ant B

Brum Raver
Starting Member

United Kingdom
8 posts
Posted - 2001/11/06 :  16:01:12  Show profile  Send a private message
Point taken. I suppose really I would just like to see the scene continue without the recent dominance of trancecore. And, like I said before, I don't think it will - the Blaze track shows that! Not that I don't like the trance side per se, just that I'd prefer a better mix with a return to more piano etc.

Anyway, enough of this griping. As Midway points out, it's still the banginest scene that's ever been - you can keep ya garidg, know what I mean?

Bowlers Crew this one's for you!

REVOLVER DOG

United Kingdom
23 posts
Posted - 2001/11/06 :  16:14:39  Show profile  Send a private message
I recon Hardcore will never die.
Its still quite popular even though you carbt pick it up from your
local HMV.
At the moment im buying my vinyl second-hand from a shop called Hotwax
& Sonic Sounds in lincoln!
Also Hardcore has been becoming more Trancy.
I think that will improve it a bit but it wont totally revive it to
TV/Mag fame.

I dont want to be the one,
The one whos allways left behind,
Will their ever come a day,
When i can turn around & say,
Its allright now,
Its allright now yeah yeah,
Its allright now!!

When i can turn around & say,
Its allright now,
Its allright now yeah yeah,
Its allright now!!

Tyrant
Average Member

Canada
239 posts
Posted - 2001/11/06 :  20:43:59  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Tyrant's homepage
freeform is certainly gaining popularity... i certainly prefer that style of hardcore, especially the Digital Beats style of acidey hardcore. If hardcore is to become more popular, i do believe that it is freeform that will catch on first, since it is related to so many different styles (trance, hhc, nu-nrg, acid etc...)

History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it -- Sir Winston Churchill

Heist
Advanced Member

Australia
706 posts
Posted - 2001/11/06 :  23:28:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Heist's homepage
I hope people producing hardcore have more integrity than to just make fast trance tracks.
Nobody wan'ts to see the scene taking on garage influences as garage is an off shoot of Dnb, oldskool rave etc watered down for commercial audiences with no taste or desire to hear anything innovative or interesting.

I get sick of hearing sets entirely of bangin stuff, vocal stuff or one kind of drum and bass. The key to hardcore was always varying influences (Dnb, Jungle, Happy, Acid etc). Its as if the more possibilities that are out there, the less interesting the music gets, and the more divided.

Does everyone agree that there are now too many genres of hardcore to be suitable for such a small scene?

www.mp3.com/djheist

WWW.VOIDDJ.COM

Mixes, Original Tracks & Remixes, Hardcore Event/Music Reviews, Pics and more...

Tyrant
Average Member

Canada
239 posts
Posted - 2001/11/07 :  14:23:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Tyrant's homepage
agreed. some of the stuff hixxy's been putting out on labels like B Trax sounds like it could just be trance played at +12... which is not to say i don't like it, but certainly it isn't moving the genre of hardcore into any new territory.

As for your comment about being too many subgenres of hardcore, well, i dunno... the situation isn't THAT bad, and it'll always be about liking a particular sound rather than confining yourself to a particular contrived subgenre of hardcore. I'm just lucky that my hardcore preference has a special name

Consider the situation for a style like trance though... you have Trance, melodic trance, morning trance, uplifting/epic trance, progressive trance, dark trance, hard trance, deep trance, trancey progressive house... it's absurd. With hardcore, the different names given to subgenres point out distinct sounds, and aren't splitting hairs in the same way.

just my 2¢

History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it -- Sir Winston Churchill

DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
DJ Mouse has attended 1 event
Posted - 2001/11/07 :  15:00:20  Show profile  Send a private message
hixxy's tunes were always slow though, look at jackattack and his remix of a sense of summer's "on top". they're 150 bpm tops.
the end result though is the tune sounds better when it's been speeded up,the bad side is though,start off with a slow tune like that and the whole mix is ruined coz it's too slow,and that's what's been happening

DJ Mouse In Da House!!!

Brian K
Advanced Member

United States
8,663 posts

528 hardcore releases
Posted - 2001/11/07 :  19:08:22  Show profile  Send a private message
not if you do some random speed adjustments...try starting off a set w/ some hard house and ending w/ some 220 bpm terrorcore =9

Elation
Average Member

Canada
232 posts
Posted - 2001/11/07 :  21:26:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elation's homepage
i heard a while ago that ppl like Dougal wanted to slow HHC down...that would just be a waste of time, cause then it would just sound like boaring potato house.

as for sub-genres...we are the ones that put it all in catagories. most producers just produce and dont worry too much about what style it is. its us, the general listining audience that likes to classify the music. to me its just all hardcore, but i am well aware of all the wee sub-labels.

hardcore seems to be poping up more now, but everyone who loved Disco, thought it would never die either, so im not too sure about HHC. less and less ppl are listening to it. i mean i had a guy laugh at me cause i spin it. that just shows you the lack of respect ppl have for HHC, but no matter how repetative and boaring Jungle gets, ppl will follow it like a bunch of blind sheep. not to mention house.

maybe hardcore is stagnating because of the lack of producers to bounce ideas off of each other?

i hope HHC is gonna be here forever, cause its the s**t and nothing else can make me feel the same way. so yea, thats about it.

(:(:happyhardcoresmiles:):)

Heist
Advanced Member

Australia
706 posts
Posted - 2001/11/07 :  22:52:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Heist's homepage
True, the variety of genres isn't so bad. Trance was never relly shit until it became epic and shoddy about 1996-97. It was then all about tricky breakdowns that went forever and who could make the most complicated string arrangement rather than making good music.

Hardcore never had that problem of egotistical artists trying to outdo one another and forgetting about the punters, but it did loose touch with half of its audience and unfortunately at that time drum and bass became the next big thing for the commercial exploitation machine...

But drum and bass is stagnating in itself with the same problem of the few elite artists who have been in the scene from the start, amateur artists and nothing in between. HC and DNB could so easily merge again and become strong through compromised parts of each other. Then we could really give hard house a run for its gay arse money.

www.mp3.com/djheist

WWW.VOIDDJ.COM

Mixes, Original Tracks & Remixes, Hardcore Event/Music Reviews, Pics and more...

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 2.02 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page