Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 'Core piracy
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
SparkzMusic

Zimbabwe
334 posts
Posted - 2019/08/01 :  20:29:56  Show profile Send a private message  Visit SparkzMusic's homepage
Something just got me thinking.

In a scene such as this, is piracy a big deal really? (I can elaborate on that).

Ok, so....

Going back to pre 2k, so the 90's. DJ's bought vinyl for the mixing purpose, some home consumers still had records players and might buy them. There was some booty repress stuff (A few 12 inch that nabbed single tracks and illegally pressed them together on 1 12"). Ripping from vinyl to tape? But then would those people who likely didn't have a record player buy the vinyl at all?

Post 2k before the digital download age....
Vinyl.... At this point most home consumers were integrating CD players, not vinyl. Typically people who wanted the vinyl release would be DJ's, collectors maybe? They would buy the actual release.

Consumers? No record player. Is it a loss if someone ripped a vinyl and those who don't own a record player grabbed the rip? They would never have bought it anyway (with nothing to play it on).

Post 2005-ish. MP3 stores. An iffy time and yes, if someone bought a release, shared it around then that's easy piracy and potentially taking away sales from labels as people are getting a product they would have otherwise paid for.

Mind you in this small scene a lot of people still wanted to support it regardless and buy regardless if they could get it for free or not.

Now....

Core is..... well.... in one way or another "free" legally?

The amount of labels releasing something and putting the full track on youtube up for anyone to hear?

Even if it isn't the full track and a clip, eventually someone will upload the full track and it's fine (not reported or taken down), it stays uploaded forevermore?

Clips these days tend to be long. 4 mins clip of a 5 minute track? To home consumers, that's more than enough?

An example

UFO posted it up himself.

So it's "free" for everyone?

People in 1994 could "pirate" core by ripping from crackling vinyl to tape? Recording from one mixtape to another?

Now people just hear the full tracks legally via youtube. Is that "piracy"? Is it "piracy" to use adblockers to block the adverts that might play before a video?

Would it even be piracy for someone using adblockers to "download" a track from youtube (for offline listening) that they wouldn't be viewing the adverts for anyway?

Alert moderator

Edited by - SparkzMusic on 2019/08/01 20:43:00
lainnix

United States
58 posts
Posted - 2019/08/01 :  20:47:40  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit lainnix's homepage
With so many labels coming and going over the last 20 years, there's almost no choice but to "pirate" if you want a lot of the older material. Where can I buy a hard copy of Hardwired that supports Scott? I'd love to do so, but there's no reprint of it. It's either buy a scrappy used copy on ebay/discogs or download it.

What's the alternative? Telling all the new fans "sorry, you're just out of luck" because they missed the big wave at the time?

Alert moderator Go to top of page
SparkzMusic

Zimbabwe
334 posts
Posted - 2019/08/01 :  20:57:03  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit SparkzMusic's homepage
With old stuff now I guess there can be some red tape. Is the rule if the label is gone and the track no longer for sale anywhere, then it's fine to put out a copy?

Actually, there was something on my old fan page years ago where something I said was interpreted wrongly. I was basically saying that if some Technikore tracks I loved were no long available to buy, the label had been long gone, then I would happily pass the tracks on to let others enjoy as well. Technikore saw the post and when he realised the point I was making he said that's fine.... but.... did end with.... something along the lines of "That's fine but it would never happen".

Now as in 2019....

Music is being given away on a plate? People don't have to rip a vinyl anymore or buy a track and pass it on. They just go to their old favourite Youtube and it's all there.

Styles for example. It's all the full track and actually it seems to be that barely any time after leaving the export folder does he himself get it uploaded in full on Youtube?

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2019/08/02 :  05:20:03  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
The Hardwired albums is a bad example if you ask me.

Sure, the mixed CD will probably not be out there, but most, if not all, unmixed tracks are available for digital purchase.

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

lainnix

United States
58 posts
Posted - 2019/08/02 :  12:43:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit lainnix's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:

Sure, the mixed CD will probably not be out there, but most, if not all, unmixed tracks are available for digital purchase.

I picked Hardwired because it's a classic everyone will know. There are countless other examples of CDs that are no longer available to buy from the label. You have not detracted from that point at all.

GrahamC
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
589 posts
Posted - 2019/08/02 :  14:13:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit GrahamC's homepage
Surely all the Tape/CD/USB Packs is the scene self pirating??

You can't tell me that all the tracks on those things are licensed, especially the bootlegs played that could never ever be released.

Nobody could moan about piracy in the scene on that basis

Vladel
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,514 posts
Posted - 2019/08/02 :  16:22:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Vladel's homepage
I see it very simply. If I like a song and it is available for purchase for an acceptable price, I will buy it. If I don't think the track is worth the cost, I won't buy it. If the song is not available to purchase, at all and I can get it for free I will and that is the fault of the artist or label for not making it available.

I have quite often bought a song I already have when it has been released at a later date because I am serious about supporting an artist if that artist is willing to be supported.

LeVzi
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
944 posts
Posted - 2019/08/03 :  09:48:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit LeVzi's homepage
I have spent more money on CD's over the years than I care to remember, which contains all the tracks I wanted. I did the same with tape packs , back in the day, I wanted to hear tracks again I was hearing at raves, but there were no major CD releases back then, so tape packs were the only way, or vinyl obviously, but I am not a DJ.

So these days, it takes a big track for me to buy it outright, otherwise I just dont bother. I will buy the Al Storm Euphony track with Leila - like it like that, when it gets a release, cos its a banger.

Only track I would have bought since Spacemist by Dowster & Vagabond

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Posted - 2019/08/03 :  11:28:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by lainnix:
quote:

You have not detracted from that point at all.

But, are you saying that, if a certain album, no matter if the tracks that appear on it can be found or purchased somewhere else, isn't readily available, makes it more "ok" to pirate it?

that sounds stupid, even to someone who used to be "'Core" pirate, like me

lainnix

United States
58 posts
Posted - 2019/08/03 :  14:14:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit lainnix's homepage
quote:
But, are you saying that, if a certain album, no matter if the tracks that appear on it can be found or purchased somewhere else, isn't readily available, makes it more "ok" to pirate it?

that sounds stupid, even to someone who used to be "'Core" pirate, like me

I stated the factual aspect of it: many releases are not available to get legally anymore for one reason or another. You said my given example (Hardwired) was bad. but didn't actually argue against the point being made. Now you're putting words in others' mouth and saying their opinions sound stupid.

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Posted - 2019/08/03 :  15:11:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
Well, I just find Hardwired and Scott Brown to be 2 very bad examples when it comes to "not make things available for purchase", especially with the last line in your first post.

And while Hardwired as an album is not out digitally (for whatever reasons), Scott Brown has shown since 2004 that he has no problem releasing the tracks that appear on his own labels. And like I said, most, if not all tracks on Hardwired have been released digitally, and presumable still purchase-able.

And while you didn't exactly write what I were hinting at, you kinda did say you can't support Scott Brown if you can't buy that album
(also, Scott Brown would earn more if you bought all the tracks separately )

SparkzMusic

Zimbabwe
334 posts
Posted - 2019/08/06 :  13:55:06  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit SparkzMusic's homepage
I think CD albums can be tricky and there's a lot of variables there.

IF getting a CD album for free could stop someone buying the full tracks on label release, then the label are losing out and I guess it is piracy. Although, there's 2 situations here with that.

1) Someone searching the dark side of the web, going out of their way spending 10 hours downloading a dodgy ******* with just 2 seeders with a clear intention of getting the album for nothing instead of buying the individual tracks released on the label.

2) Someone doing their everyday thing of logging onto youtube, typing in "Scott Brown", it coming up with the full hardwire albums and hearing that instead of buying full individual tracks.

I would like to think if someone heard the album mix, they would look to find where to buy the full tracks. But again.... Youtube. They search a track off the album, full version is there.

Artists and labels can get their full tracks pulled from YT if they do a copyright claim. I know ages ago I uploaded MPT001 vinyl rip (M-project - Cherry). A few days later it was flagged and removed because of a copyright claim.

Probably M-Project himself filed the claim (as the YT copyrighted track upload detection system would have picked up on it within hours of the upload).

A douche move really considering the track at that time (and even now I recall) isn't available anywhere to legally purchase and even more ****ed up is it's a bootleg anyway.

So artists who sell their work but don't get uploads of their full tracks removed? Isn't it their fault? As these days YT is used by everyone and mostly assumed to be a place to legally hear music

Vladel
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,514 posts
Posted - 2019/08/06 :  14:48:06  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Vladel's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by SparkzMusic:
I think CD albums can be tricky and there's a lot of variables there.

IF getting a CD album for free could stop someone buying the full tracks on label release, then the label are losing out and I guess it is piracy. Although, there's 2 situations here with that.

1) Someone searching the dark side of the web, going out of their way spending 10 hours downloading a dodgy ******* with just 2 seeders with a clear intention of getting the album for nothing instead of buying the individual tracks released on the label.

2) Someone doing their everyday thing of logging onto youtube, typing in "Scott Brown", it coming up with the full hardwire albums and hearing that instead of buying full individual tracks.

I would like to think if someone heard the album mix, they would look to find where to buy the full tracks. But again.... Youtube. They search a track off the album, full version is there.

Artists and labels can get their full tracks pulled from YT if they do a copyright claim. I know ages ago I uploaded MPT001 vinyl rip (M-project - Cherry). A few days later it was flagged and removed because of a copyright claim.

Probably M-Project himself filed the claim (as the YT copyrighted track upload detection system would have picked up on it within hours of the upload).

A douche move really considering the track at that time (and even now I recall) isn't available anywhere to legally purchase and even more ****ed up is it's a bootleg anyway.

So artists who sell their work but don't get uploads of their full tracks removed? Isn't it their fault? As these days YT is used by everyone and mostly assumed to be a place to legally hear music

The solution is simple really, artists should sell music and people will buy. Sure some will pirate and that sucks but, if the music is not sold, everyone suffers and that artist is a douche.

SparkzMusic

Zimbabwe
334 posts
Posted - 2019/08/06 :  15:39:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit SparkzMusic's homepage
I agree entirely with that. Like well done to whoever leaked "Love leaves no scar (hixxy remix)" for example. Only ever on CLHX, never released, someone leaked out the full MASTER ages ago. (It's not on YT surprisingly so here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/1loqt7q713dsbgk/LOL_-_Love_Leaves_No_Scar%2528Hixxy-Remix%2529_%2528MASTER%2529.mp3/file)

Although, IF a track is available to buy on a store and someone uploads the full version on YT, is that piracy? In some cases it's the producer themselves uploading the full (to make money from adverts), in other cases it's members of the public.

In the latter case, the original artist/label have the power to submit a copyright claim and have it removed. If they don't, is it their own fault for loss of sales? As YT is part and parcel of music distribution these days.

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Posted - 2019/08/06 :  18:22:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
is it a true master, or just the CLXH with intro and outro edited into it?

SparkzMusic

Zimbabwe
334 posts
Posted - 2019/08/06 :  18:26:29  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit SparkzMusic's homepage
quote:
is it a true master, or just the CLXH with intro and outro edited into it?

True master (I know there were a lot of edited "masters" about which are easy to spot. The sub build with chording and notes related to the track don't exist on CLXH version so impossible to nab off something else and paste in).

Even the fill hoover sounds. It's predominant throughout and a unique set of notes to that track, which is featured as early as 7 seconds in.

I was given loads back in the day which never feature anywhere now, inc of course squad-e untouchable master ( https://www.mediafire.com/file/h74eb6y25epvjvs/Squad-E_and_Chris_Henry_-_Untouchable.mp3/file ) 320k and clearly not a vinyl rip of the track which was released later than this Master was leaked.

Edited by - SparkzMusic on 2019/08/06 18:39:36

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.52 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page