of 2

Author Thread  
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2019/08/07 :  04:17:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage  Reply with quote
that's definitely staying untouched by me ;)

(Squad-E can go to hell for all I care)

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Alert moderator Go to top of page
trippnface
Advanced Member

United States
1,654 posts
trippnface has attended 21 events
Posted - 2019/08/07 :  17:26:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit trippnface's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by SparkzMusic:
I agree entirely with that. Like well done to whoever leaked "Love leaves no scar (hixxy remix)" for example. Only ever on CLHX, never released, someone leaked out the full MASTER ages ago. (It's not on YT surprisingly so here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/1loqt7q713dsbgk/LOL_-_Love_Leaves_No_Scar%2528Hixxy-Remix%2529_%2528MASTER%2529.mp3/file)

Although, IF a track is available to buy on a store and someone uploads the full version on YT, is that piracy? In some cases it's the producer themselves uploading the full (to make money from adverts), in other cases it's members of the public.

In the latter case, the original artist/label have the power to submit a copyright claim and have it removed. If they don't, is it their own fault for loss of sales? As YT is part and parcel of music distribution these days.

mine

htid_4_life

United Kingdom
305 posts
Posted - 2019/08/11 :  10:18:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit htid_4_life's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by GrahamC:
Surely all the Tape/CD/USB Packs is the scene self pirating??

You can't tell me that all the tracks on those things are licensed, especially the bootlegs played that could never ever be released.

Nobody could moan about piracy in the scene on that basis

You have a good point there and that is one thing Scott Brown was really against. He said that the DJ's doing the sets or artists who's songs were used, never got any pay or royalties when they put out their mixes on tape packs.

9oh9

United Kingdom
119 posts
Posted - 2019/08/11 :  10:52:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit 9oh9's homepage  Reply with quote
The major debate with recorded sets came about when CD packs became a thing IIRC. It's way easier for a DJ/producer to overlook being recorded on a tapepack; it's good promotional material, and there's a clear difference between a shit quality tape recording, and a high quality released CD. That difference gets way smaller when CDs/digital releases come out. Why pay ?15 for a properly released album, when you can pay a similar amount and get an 8 CD event pack with all the same tracks on it?

I can see "OK with being included on the tape pack" as almost being part of the DJ fee back in the day.

AWal

United States
66 posts
Posted - 2019/08/24 :  20:09:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit AWal's homepage  Reply with quote
If it wasn't work the ease of sketchy mp3 sites and abundance of bt collections I wouldn't be here. I got into the music around 2003 when the big kick style was starting to take off and peeps were starting to familiarize with the term UK Hardcore, but getting into the DJ side of things was difficult, as the options for many tracks were get it on vinyl or pirate. I can't exactly be proud of my actions, but that's not to say that I wasn't still trying to get things legitimately when I could, and of course years later I would go back from time to time to get old promo discs or other means to legitimize the dubious copies I had, possibly replacing them with better ones.

Nowadays it's more perceived as a non-issue as everything is expected to release in some digital format eventually, though affordability sake has definitely fluctuated over the years (Rip HBD, SeriousSouds, imodownload, AudioJelly, MOAS, TrackItDown).

quote:
Originally posted by SparkzMusic:
well done to whoever leaked "Love leaves no scar (hixxy remix)" for example. Only ever on CLHX, never released

This track in particular is likely from CDDJGLOBE975, that eventually made it's way out via LOL-Love_Leaves_No_Scar-(Promo_CDM)-2008-pLAN9.

For current stuff, even if the artist themselves and their fans don't bother with an upload you'll quite often find one of the automated systems providing a template upload with the song, so that it exists on YouTube in one form or another.

Nowadays it isn't as much of a big deal to have a song on YouTube, as distributors like Label Worx take care of all the behind the scenes stuff and makes sure the tracks they distribute are monetized through the ContentID system, regardless of who uploads the song, even in part (this includes DJ mixes, new and old).

I've been putting a mix on YouTube about once a week for four years now consistently and nearly every single two hour mix has several ContentID claims: They don't hinder my channel at all, but there is money (albeit small amounts) being paid out for these plays, which is much better than it used to be...For the pre-2010 songs before the whole ContentID system the alternative was to have the video blocked or muted instead, and nobody liked that, hence why many of the older songs just kind of exist on there; For many it was just too much of a hassle to actively request DMCA claims when the alternative is to allow someone else to listen to a mediocre quality double-transcoded track with some weird movie maker effects, at the chance they might later seek out other songs through legitimate means.

MusicILove
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,255 posts
MusicILove is a site donation subscriber
Posted - 2019/08/25 :  03:00:48  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit MusicILove's homepage  Reply with quote
Love Leaves No Scars (Hixxy Remix) was released I have it on CD. That one is from the CD so it?s the official master.
https://www.discogs.com/LOL-Love-Leaves-No-Scar/release/2055370

Edited by - MusicILove on 2019/08/25 03:06:40
MusicILove
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,255 posts
MusicILove is a site donation subscriber
Posted - 2019/08/25 :  08:53:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit MusicILove's homepage  Reply with quote
Annoyingly someone leaked Ganar?s lifetime subscription on his Facebook page again. It?s been their for nearly 2 days and he hasn?t removed it.

Now for my opinions on piracy.

I think if it?s not available to buy then sharing with those that want it is ok as long as you have searched everywhere. If it?s not available the artist ether can?t be bothered to put it up or doesn't care about it. If the track is over a year old then it?s ok in my opinion.

BUT if the track is available digitally then i disagree with it. If a previously unavailable track becomes available then I will buy it. As for Youtube It?s up to the artist they get money for views if it?s official. Unofficial releases where the content ID system doesn?t work it?s up to the artist and Label to decide. If they leave it up then Yay for those that want to listen to it.

Don?t mind sharing free downloads either.

Edited by - MusicILove on 2019/08/25 11:37:56
DJ Bounce

United Kingdom
344 posts
DJ Bounce is verified hardcore artist DJ Bounce has attended 5 events
Posted - 2019/08/25 :  17:10:49  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Bounce's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by MusicILove:
Annoyingly someone leaked Ganar?s lifetime subscription on his Facebook page again. It?s been their for nearly 2 days and he hasn?t removed it.

Who's Ganar?

Bring Me Round To Love

United Kingdom
116 posts
Posted - 2019/08/25 :  20:46:02  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Bring Me Round To Love's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Bounce:
quote:
Originally posted by MusicILove:

Who's Ganar?

He had a number 1 hit in the UK charts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AuHibzE0aY

Rhoobarb2005

Afghanistan
82 posts
Posted - 2019/09/02 :  11:43:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Rhoobarb2005's homepage  Reply with quote
As a long term hardcore fan, I find it ironic that a music scene that was founded on illegal activities, acts all high and mighty when it comes to piracy.

Illegal raves, pirate radio, encouraging drug use, sample stealing, software piracy, etc. Are the foundations of the umbrella genre of "rave". Right or wrong, illegal activities were part of the culture, on both sides of the turntables.

The priorities changed. It started out as being about the music. In the early days it did not seem to be a scene flush with cash. and what money there was, the lions share seemed to go to promoters, less to DJ's and even less to producers. So it was done more for the love of the music. But it gained popularity, people turned a hobby and passion into a living, and it became about the money instead.

How many artists haven't "stolen" samples to use in their tracks over the years? Probably a handful of new producers at most. I don't think I could name an established producer that didn't steal a sample.

Some tracks that perhaps may have flown a little too close to the copyright infringement sun, were released under Anon as a 'cheeky' white label or bootleg instead of their normal monikers.

Labels had whole catalogues built up of these.

Another example, The Winstons. They unknowingly provided the most iconic sound in all of rave culture, the Amen Break. From the early 90's until fairly recently I would say the Amen Break was in the majority of rave songs, from jungle, dnb, HHC, UKH, gabber, techno, freeform, old skool, etc, etc, etc. Even today it is still used. I would think that this would count as the most sampled sound ever, by a huge margin. Hands up any hardcore producer that actually paid The Winstons royalties to use it, or even just ask permission, anyone?

On a side note to that, someone is running a gofundme, to give the Winstons at least a little part of what they are owed. Although at this point, it is probably more of a gesture, than actually being close to what technically should be owed.

Some of us older peeps will remember the (possibly fabricated) story about Jon Doe playing DHSS Rainbow and it getting smashed up due to it being an unauthorised remix. That seemed heavily hypocritical, and more put down to a huge ego. But over time, this attitude seemed to become the norm. Others having hissy fits, stamping their feet and "leaving the scene". Yet forgetting what activities got them there.

Glass houses and stones springs to mind.

The popularity of the scene ebbs and flows like any other genre.
Spotify et al, has changed things a lot too, but that's another discussion.

Not saying I agree or disagree with piracy, but I do find the ground some people stand on a little shaky.

But then, the bread on my table does not depend on it.

LeVzi
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
944 posts
Posted - 2019/09/04 :  05:34:29  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit LeVzi's homepage  Reply with quote
I' d agree with that, because the original rave scene was all about samples taken from all over the place. The Amen is someone elses intellectual property. (Greg Coleman)

I'd love to see the whole 90's scene opened up for stems , samples etc and a whole remix project happen.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.8 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page