Total online 1686
 Radio listeners 152+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Why are Hardcore djs going slow in their old age?
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 4

Author Thread  
trippnface
Advanced Member

United States
1,654 posts
trippnface has attended 21 events
Posted - 2019/12/12 :  19:56:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit trippnface's homepage  Reply with quote
I can deal with old skool breakbeat at 165, because it still contains plentiful elements of sweet female vocals and banging piano riffs. I forget it's slower, because the music is so good.

this current 160 style "hardcore", typically doesn't **** with female vocals or piano that much anymore. it's just the same recycled hard style lead and abunch of uninspired sounds, that makes every track sound the same. I feel that way though about IYF's sound too though, even at 170.

It's not good. Those going to a hardcore show are expecting faster energy, same reason I would go to a dnb show, and not a dubstep show.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
LeVzi
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
944 posts
Posted - 2019/12/13 :  05:27:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit LeVzi's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Si Thompson:
quote:
Originally posted by LeVzi:Hardcore needs to be fast and needs the energy, otherwise it's simply not hardcore.

There are different types of Hardcore. The term Hardcore was about way before the scene split in 1994 to Jungle and Happy.

1991 - Belgian/Dutch Hardcore (Rave)
1992 - Breakbeat Hardcore (Rave)
1993 - Hardcore Jungle
1994 - '4 Beat' Breakbeat Hardcore/ Hardcore Techno
1995-1999 - Happy Hardcore/Dutch Happy Hardcore
2000-2009 - UK Hardcore

It doesn't have to be fast to be Hardcore, but Happy and UK Hardcore should be a least 170bpm. I'm guessing that's the point you were trying to make.

I was gonna ask, you seen the name of this forum ? I know what types of hardcore there are. Happy hardcore / UK Hardcore should be played fast.

Si Thompson
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,362 posts
Posted - 2019/12/13 :  08:59:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Si Thompson's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by LeVzi:
quote:
Originally posted by Si Thompson:
quote:
Originally posted by LeVzi:Hardcore needs to be fast and needs the energy, otherwise it's simply not hardcore.

There are different types of Hardcore. The term Hardcore was about way before the scene split in 1994 to Jungle and Happy.

1991 - Belgian/Dutch Hardcore (Rave)
1992 - Breakbeat Hardcore (Rave)
1993 - Hardcore Jungle
1994 - '4 Beat' Breakbeat Hardcore/ Hardcore Techno
1995-1999 - Happy Hardcore/Dutch Happy Hardcore
2000-2009 - UK Hardcore

It doesn't have to be fast to be Hardcore, but Happy and UK Hardcore should be a least 170bpm. I'm guessing that's the point you were trying to make.

I was gonna ask, you seen the name of this forum ? I know what types of hardcore there are. Happy hardcore / UK Hardcore should be played fast.

Well. Be more specific. You said 'Hardcore' should be fast. That's quite a broad statement. I actually guessed that was the point you were trying to make in my last sentence. I was just making sure.

The Rave Music Archive
https://soundcloud.com/the_rave_music_archive
https://www.youtube.com/c/theravemusicarchive

Kool Katz Digital
https://soundcloud.com/kool-katz-digital

Vladel
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,514 posts
Posted - 2019/12/13 :  13:18:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Vladel's homepage  Reply with quote
Apart from listening to individual tracks, I listen to hardcore at 178-186 BPM.

Sulphurik
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
954 posts
Posted - 2019/12/15 :  19:23:25  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Sulphurik's homepage  Reply with quote
So what speed should an average UK hardcore track be? Do you think 165+ bpm?

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2019/12/15 :  19:26:02  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage  Reply with quote
170 minimum for me. Never mix at less than 175.

warped_candykid
Advanced Member

United States
3,934 posts
warped_candykid has attended 5 events
Posted - 2019/12/15 :  20:40:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit warped_candykid's homepage  Reply with quote
I've noticed this trend as well, and I don't see how they're passing it off as "UK Hardcore". I would expect most UK Hardcore to be produced around 168 - 175 bpm. I hope this trend doesn't last and we get things back on track.

LeVzi
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
944 posts
Posted - 2019/12/16 :  05:45:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit LeVzi's homepage  Reply with quote
maybe it's as hardcore gets more readily accepted in the EDM world if it's slower.

Although Gammer played pretty quick at that american festival ,at least the set I saw, and they seemed to like it.

IZE
Starting Member

Singapore
6 posts
Posted - 2019/12/21 :  02:27:13  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit IZE's homepage  Reply with quote
i can't believe happy hardcore these days is now associated with hardstyle
hardstyle is suppose to be hardcore with hard trance without all the fluff

how does this sound "happy" at all

Edited by - IZE on 2019/12/21 02:30:26
LeVzi
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
944 posts
Posted - 2019/12/21 :  09:58:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit LeVzi's homepage  Reply with quote
Thats just hardstyle, if that started playing at a rave, i'd go home. Fking hate that sound, always have done.

Johnscardy

United Kingdom
48 posts
Posted - 2019/12/21 :  10:18:42  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Johnscardy's homepage  Reply with quote
160bpm doesn't bother me... The fact that it's absolute shit does. Pitch it up to 170 and it will still be shit. You can't polish a turd!

trippnface
Advanced Member

United States
1,654 posts
trippnface has attended 21 events
Posted - 2019/12/21 :  18:27:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit trippnface's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by djDMS:
170 minimum for me. Never mix at less than 175.

this is law

The drunken scotsman
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,486 posts
Posted - 2019/12/21 :  19:51:13  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The drunken scotsman's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Johnscardy:
160bpm doesn't bother me... The fact that it's absolute shit does. Pitch it up to 170 and it will still be shit. You can't polish a turd!

Agreed!

carldj90

United States
299 posts
carldj90 has attended 1 event
Posted - 2019/12/29 :  07:18:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit carldj90's homepage  Reply with quote
I just wanna say the 90's had a very unique feeling to that era. Life was different.

The 2000's still held that. We are about to be out of the 2010's and everything in music has a depressing feeling. From the style of cloths to the music we listen to.

So maybe the speed will pick up in 2030.

But maybe nothing has actually changed. From producing at a slower speed I know for a fact it has helped hard dance. Hardcore? Maybe not so much, but it will return.

When you update an old school sound you get what we have today. It happens to sound better at 160 sometimes.

Edited by - carldj90 on 2019/12/29 07:22:00
Besty
Starting Member

United Kingdom
1 post
Posted - 2020/01/06 :  17:02:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Besty's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by MusicILove:

They are trying to appeal to the Hardstyle audience to get in at their festivals & events. All about money again.

Even Hixxy said a few months ago that hardcore is at 170. It?s at 1 minute 24 seconds.

I can instantly tell when something comes on if it?s slower then it instantly gets turned off.
If they want freedom in production then go make something else at that speed don?t call it hardcore!!!! It?s NOT hardcore!!!!

The U.K scene goes through stages like this when DJ's and Producers can't make a living.

We have had DJ's produce and play hard-house and hardstyle in the raves, in the late 90s, when pickings were slim. Trixxy, Vinylgroover, Bunter, Brisk all had a go at hard-house.

Dougal's foray into semi-hardstyle is no different to this, when Showtek changed styles to play at Omnia in Vegas it was definitely a money grab and it was a criticism levelled at people like Dougal when they took UK Hardcore in early 1994 and merged it with Techno so they could increase the crowds.

Not everyone was happy with the Techno-room bods taking over the main-room and many people stopped going to hardcore raves and the scene split.

This is what needs to happen every cycle, some people will be lost, some will be gained.

U.K hardcore can be produced and played at a wide range of BPM's, the DJs and producers are taking a guess at who will be willing to pay to go to events and buy music.

The good news is that eventually, a new sound will emerge, i would expect that if the state of play continues, the acceptance probably is that this generation of DJs are getting older, so are the crowds and their habits.

History has shown that this is a very exciting time for new sounds as generally speaking, the best tunes arrive at the beginning and at the end of a cycle.

Whether that music appeals to you personally is another matter but it will be UK Hardcore, one way or another.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 4 pages long: 1  2  3  4
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.94 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page