Total online 1728
 Radio listeners 179+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Which of the bonkers albums went silver/gold?
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

Author Thread  
9oh9

United Kingdom
119 posts
Posted - 2020/01/20 :  17:37:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit 9oh9's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Craigavon raver:
Bonkers 1 till 5 went silver, and bonkers 3 went gold, for some reason years ago I thought 4 went gold as well, and that I actually seen it in a record shop lol but think 3 is the only 1 to go gold, or get a gold release anyhow! because def don't have any knowledge of 12 going gold either, unless it had gold sales but a gold release never happened, I also thought was 80,000 silver, 120,000 or 125,000 gold and then 250,000 for platinum

Yeah I was convinced I'd seen a gold version of the cover for 4 as well, weird.

I was a bit suprised that 3 was the one to go gold tbh. I'd have thought 1 or 2 would've been the ones to do it! However I do remember it being hard to find copies of 1 or 2 when I was getting into hardcore in the late 90s, so perhaps they didn't press enough!

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Mental_Adam
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
842 posts
Posted - 2020/01/23 :  21:28:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Mental_Adam's homepage  Reply with quote
The silver editions of Bonkers 1 and 2 were much welcomed due to the tracks being cut up into selections rather than one whole track.

Bonkers 3, was the best selling i believe.

The only chart history i can recall of a bonkers comp was the best of staying 2 weeks in the top. 10

Craigavon raver
Advanced Member

Ireland
2,207 posts
Craigavon raver has attended 1 event
Posted - 2020/04/07 :  19:24:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Craigavon raver's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by 9oh9:
quote:
Originally posted by Craigavon raver:
Bonkers 1 till 5 went silver, and bonkers 3 went gold, for some reason years ago I thought 4 went gold as well, and that I actually seen it in a record shop lol but think 3 is the only 1 to go gold, or get a gold release anyhow! because def don't have any knowledge of 12 going gold either, unless it had gold sales but a gold release never happened, I also thought was 80,000 silver, 120,000 or 125,000 gold and then 250,000 for platinum

Yeah I was convinced I'd seen a gold version of the cover for 4 as well, weird.

I was a bit suprised that 3 was the one to go gold tbh. I'd have thought 1 or 2 would've been the ones to do it! However I do remember it being hard to find copies of 1 or 2 when I was getting into hardcore in the late 90s, so perhaps they didn't press enough!

Maybe we did then! lol

And I just started getting into bonkers big time in late 1999 when 7 came out, and I was lucky enough to get bonkers 2 in a local music shop, the last copy they had, but I couldn't get bonkers 1, so I ended up buying it second hand of a guy I knew who had it for ?20! but in 2006 to celebrate 10 years of bonkers react repressed bonkers 1 & 2, and that's when I bought bonkers 1 properly, got the silver edition

Sulphurik
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
954 posts
Posted - 2021/07/29 :  20:48:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Sulphurik's homepage  Reply with quote
Which Bonkers album 1 to 7 does anything think is the best one?

Difficult to pick one as all good...Bonkers 5 one of my favourite ones.

9oh9

United Kingdom
119 posts
Posted - 2021/07/31 :  10:00:41  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit 9oh9's homepage  Reply with quote
Probably 2 for me, mainly because of Sharkey's mix; 3 is a very close second though...

Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Triquatra is a site donation subscriber Triquatra has attended 26 events
Posted - 2021/07/31 :  17:23:39  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage  Reply with quote
3 and 7 hard to pick. Love them both for different reasons (styles)

rafferty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
621 posts
Posted - 2021/08/01 :  03:01:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit rafferty's homepage  Reply with quote
The scene was massive in the mid to late 90s though which was when those Bonkers Albums were released.
It did come back in the 2000s. But sales, popularity and the whole size of the hardcore scene back in the 90s will probably never ever be replicated.
You look on Discogs how much Hardcore was released from 95-98 compared to other years.

People will always recognize the 90s as the peak era of Hardcore. The music had it's own original sound then and music was selling by the truckloads whether it be commercially or on the more underground side.

In 1997 the top 100 DJs in the world had

Slipmatt at 21
Sy at 34
Vibes at 36
Dougal at 47
Sharkey at 73
Hixxy at 76
Brisk at 90

Force & Styles made it to 98 in 98 too.
https://vk.com/topic-4286148_28357370

People can say that the 2000s was comparable but it really wasn't even close in size. No UK Hardcore DJs made to to those heights ever again after.

Candy & anime was just a faze & a total embarrassment that everyone mocks and laughs at now.

Edited by - rafferty on 2021/08/01 03:04:19
Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Triquatra is a site donation subscriber Triquatra has attended 26 events
Posted - 2021/08/01 :  11:34:04  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by rafferty:
The scene was massive in the mid to late 90s though which was when those Bonkers Albums were released.
It did come back in the 2000s. But sales, popularity and the whole size of the hardcore scene back in the 90s will probably never ever be replicated.
You look on Discogs how much Hardcore was released from 95-98 compared to other years.

People will always recognize the 90s as the peak era of Hardcore. The music had it's own original sound then and music was selling by the truckloads whether it be commercially or on the more underground side.

Slipmatt at 21
Sy at 34
Vibes at 36
Dougal at 47
Sharkey at 73
Hixxy at 76
Brisk at 90

People can say that the 2000s was comparable but it really wasn't even close in size. No UK Hardcore DJs made to to those heights ever again after.

Absolutely agree! Buuuuuut I'm not sure we can fully trust the DJ mag top 100 after about 2002/rise of the internet vote :P

rafferty
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
621 posts
Posted - 2021/08/03 :  08:17:08  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit rafferty's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triquatra:
quote:
Originally posted by rafferty:

Slipmatt at 21
Sy at 34
Vibes at 36
Dougal at 47
Sharkey at 73
Hixxy at 76
Brisk at 90

Absolutely agree! Buuuuuut I'm not sure we can fully trust the DJ mag top 100 after about 2002/rise of the internet vote :P

Yeah it has basically became a marketing competition after 2002 absolutely agree.

Candy & anime was just a faze & a total embarrassment that everyone mocks and laughs at now.

Mental_Adam
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
842 posts
Posted - 2021/08/04 :  22:23:13  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Mental_Adam's homepage  Reply with quote
I seriously thought Bonkers would go on forever after they brought the series back in the early 2000s.

it just sort of lost it's fizz after the Bonkers 17 release and the genre just became known for it's mega commercial clubland hardcore release series.

you just can't replicate those times from the original 1990s and early-mid 2000s

it just died out and is just nostalgia now.

Sulphurik
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
954 posts
Posted - 2022/12/04 :  13:40:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Sulphurik's homepage  Reply with quote
In recent Bonkers beats show at end of November, saw post by Dj Scar saying about Kevin Energy being the special guest on that show. In post it did say Kevin Energy had featured on every Bonkers album in the series. That isn't quite true. He didn't have tracks on Bonkers 1, 6 & 7 but did feature on all the others which is very impressive. Hardcore Fever did come into my mind and was thinking was on an early Bonkers such as 2 but it was actually on Bonkers 13 that the track was on.

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,072 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2022/12/04 :  13:55:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage  Reply with quote
And basically the only reason he isnt on 6 and 7 is because sharkey's not on them

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Edited by - Samination on 2022/12/04 14:43:57

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.47 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page