Total online 1591
 Radio listeners 165+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Emulate the Dutch scene & ditch the candy image.
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 3

Author Thread  
Sulphurik
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
954 posts
Posted - 2020/09/17 :  20:00:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Sulphurik's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by rafferty:
The more I see what the Netherlands is doing with their Hardcore/Hardstyle scene, the more I realise it is the direction the UK Hardcore scene should keep taking and aspiring towards like it did at it's peak in the mid 90's.
Their whole scene is well marketed and very slick.
While the whole candy thing was very detrimental to the image of UK Hardcore in the end.. It should be left as far away as possible now. It made our scene an embarrassment in the 2000s & early 2010s.

Image and marketing is everything in music these days. With candy and anime never being taken seriously and completly mocked by most.
One reason Candy never existed in the Netherlands Hard music scenes.

Some Hardstyle Producers even seem to be making more and more tracks at faster 170 + tempos all the time. With great examples of what UK Hardcore productions can become.

There were some good examples of marketing in UK Hardcore in 2000s, which worked well for sales of some of the Bonkers albums in 2000s eg. album artwork Bonkers X, Bonkers XI, Bonkers 14 and 15?

Perhaps there could have been less of the candy artwork used such as on the Clubland Xtreme hardcore cover artwork but that was no different to other Clubland albums.

Album artwork for Dutch Hardcore does match with the style of the music, similar style of artwork for UK Hardcore wouldn't work in my opinion.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - Sulphurik on 2020/09/17 20:03:27
jenks
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,682 posts

19 hardcore releases
jenks has attended 1 event
Posted - 2020/09/22 :  15:53:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit jenks's homepage  Reply with quote
I didn't realise candy was ever much of a thing in the UK.

Then again I haven't been to a rave in years.

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2020/09/22 :  17:17:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage  Reply with quote
On all the raves i've been (about 18 over the past 9 years), only a handful of ravers have been people who dressed in candy, and they just basically stay in the front and dance. rafferty always acts like these few people have steered the show...

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

LeVzi
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
944 posts
Posted - 2020/09/23 :  04:45:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit LeVzi's homepage  Reply with quote
The thing about the 90's scene that made it so good, was that is was a complete mess.

No one gave a shit about who was wearing what, and by the end of the night, everyone was a sweaty stinking mess anyway.

It was all about the vibe, the music, and the fact no one was sober, everyone was mashed.

hevan
Starting Member

Canada
10 posts
Posted - 2020/09/25 :  05:40:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit hevan's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
On all the raves i've been (about 18 over the past 9 years), only a handful of ravers have been people who dressed in candy, and they just basically stay in the front and dance. rafferty always acts like these few people have steered the show...

A lot of people are really into it in North America, but people here can just be pretty extra about the way that they dress at music events as is. The most people I've seen dressed in candy is at trance shows, but its reputation seems to be doing just fine. Either way I'm not super concerned about whether people make judgement calls on an entire genre based on how people dress LOL.

Icewind

Canada
116 posts
Posted - 2020/10/06 :  06:58:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Icewind's homepage  Reply with quote
Rafferty back again with the old candy sucks, street wear is better, hardstyle is better thread. At this point, candy has been part of the scene (north american mostly) for quite some time. It isn't going away any time soon.

A real rave is where nobody gives a **** about what you wear, it's all about the music at the end of the day anyways.

warped_candykid
Advanced Member

United States
3,934 posts
warped_candykid has attended 5 events
Posted - 2020/10/09 :  00:11:59  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit warped_candykid's homepage  Reply with quote
well well well!

we candy kids are here to stay, and Happy Hardcore will always be the music we flock to. I don't know why you're so worried about what people are wearing...are you not dancing and supporting the DJ by being in the front and off your phone?

Also, we candy kids played a big role in spreading Happy Hardcore throughout the States. You have to remember, we only had ONE actual mixed series released over here (Happy2bHardcore), and the DJ behind the mixing threw the Hullabaloo events, which was pretty much candy kid mecca, so the candy kids dominated the genre, and other hard dance genres.

Is today's rave scene anything like that past era, absolutely not. Are today's candy kids anything like the originals? Absolutely not. In fact, I find it a shame how far from the "2000s candy kids" these ravers are today. It wasn't about dressing in as little clothes as possible and walking around looking, for lack of a better word, a slutty Hello Kitty and sitting against the wall talking all night. Candy kids actually dressed like overgrown kids, which was what made the fashion fun. Oversized pants, oversized overalls with cartoon prints, crazy hair colors and styles, stuffed animal backpacks, stickers, glitter, friendship cards to hand out throughout the night, gum, and of course, tons of candy on your arms and around your neck. We were front and center and ready to dance. And it was NEVER about "I'll trade you this cuff for 10 singles.", no one made cuffs, and if you did, you didn't put value on it when trading with other candy kids throughout the night...the point was to LEAVE with all the candy you made gone. Period. It wasn't about value of your candy. Your goal was to make someone else's night bright.

You may not see the importance in us, but we shaped the Hardcore scene Stateside. We led many to the names of artists and sent them on their merry way to internationally order the Bonkers albums.

Also, When was Hardcore EVER about "Looking cool"? If I remember right, literally most Happy Hardcore albums in the 90s were covered in Cartoon covers...Have you seen the vinyl sleeve for Rainbow Islands?

Edited by - warped_candykid on 2020/10/09 00:17:56
dannyboy uk

United Kingdom
127 posts
Posted - 2020/10/14 :  21:56:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit dannyboy uk's homepage  Reply with quote
I wholly agree with this. I went off hardcore a lot cos I get sick of the UK scene and the direction raves were taking. Far too many Adidas manbags and crackheads were going. The scene just ended up feeling like a speed up Scouse house/bounce scene. So I just stopped going to raves. The standard MC's like MC storm and that just waffling over everything. All the mid 50 year olds taking speed in their race gear looking a atate. God.. it was awful.

Fast forward now, I feel the hardstyle scene really are giving it a new lease of life, Tweekacore are doing some great things for the scene, Darren Styles has brought in some more hardstyle pioneers doing tracks with them. The Electric Fox label have released some great stuff.

OneSeventy have been releasing some really top notch productions too, it feels like the scene if finally starting to catch up to modern times and I hope if gets more exposure, even Steve aoki has dipped his toes in and I'm liking the fact that it doesn't feel like some dirty secret that people like it anymore. I see hope. Especially if Q Dance get more involded.

This set is a great example

Edited by - dannyboy uk on 2020/10/14 21:59:25
dannyboy uk

United Kingdom
127 posts
Posted - 2020/10/14 :  22:01:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit dannyboy uk's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by dannyboy uk:
I wholly agree with this. I went off hardcore a lot cos I get sick of the UK scene and the direction raves were taking. Far too many Adidas manbags and crackheads were going. The scene just ended up feeling like a speed up Scouse house/bounce scene. So I just stopped going to raves. The standard MC's like MC storm and that just waffling over everything. All the mid 50 year olds taking speed in their race gear looking a atate. God.. it was awful.

Fast forward now, I feel the hardstyle scene really are giving it a new lease of life, Tweekacore are doing some great things for the scene, Darren Styles has brought in some more hardstyle pioneers doing tracks with them. The Electric Fox label have released some great stuff.

OneSeventy have been releasing some really top notch productions too, it feels like the scene if finally starting to catch up to modern times and I hope if gets more exposure, even Steve aoki has dipped his toes in and I'm liking the fact that it doesn't feel like some dirty secret that people like it anymore. I see hope. Especially if Q Dance get more involded.

This set is a great example

warped_candykid
Advanced Member

United States
3,934 posts
warped_candykid has attended 5 events
Posted - 2020/10/15 :  04:35:06  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit warped_candykid's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by dannyboy uk:

OneSeventy have been releasing some really top notch productions too,

Both of those labels hardly offer tracks at 170 bpm+. Most tracks are in the 160s, so it's not like you can play them in a higher BPM set, and I don't think slowing down the genre is a step to go towards.

Edited by - warped_candykid on 2020/10/15 04:37:34

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 3 pages long: 1  2  3
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.69 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page