Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Web site suggestions & site problems
 Mixes Section on the forums
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
mark-ireland
Advanced Member

Ireland
1,667 posts

17 hardcore releases
mark-ireland has attended 4 events
Posted - 2005/02/11 :  15:00:13  Show profile Send a private message  Visit mark-ireland's homepage
I think it would be a good idea to have a section in the forums just for people to put up links to their mixes tunes etc.
The hardcore section does get loads of topics that are basically the same.

------------------------------
We will not compromise quality for popularity amongst the minority.

Alert moderator
whispering

Finland
8,452 posts
whispering has donated money to the site
Posted - 2005/02/11 :  15:18:12  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit whispering's homepage
Mixes are basicly "illegal", so IMO it would be a little weird to have an area for them o_O

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - whispering on 2005/02/11 15:19:13
Dave Murray
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,675 posts

136 hardcore releases
Dave Murray has attended 3 events
Posted - 2005/02/11 :  15:30:36  Show profile  Send a private message
quote:
Originally posted by whispering:
Mixes are basicly "illegal", so IMO it would be a little weird to have an area for them o_O

Haha ... yeah how about we just ban mixes altogether?

Sound's fair, doesnt it?

mark-ireland
Advanced Member

Ireland
1,667 posts

17 hardcore releases
mark-ireland has attended 4 events
Posted - 2005/02/11 :  23:23:06  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit mark-ireland's homepage
Well if there illegal stop them. That would be stupid in my opinion.
Just call it members work or something.
ps how are new djs ment to gain more experiecne and get feedback if they cant even share a mix with people?
------------------------------
We will not compromise quality for popularity amongst the minority.

http://downloads.imorecords.com/label/?id=270

http://www.irishclubbing.net

Edited by - mark-ireland on 2005/02/11 23:24:22
whispering

Finland
8,452 posts
Posted - 2005/02/12 :  08:35:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit whispering's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Murray:
Haha ... yeah how about we just ban mixes altogether?

Sound's fair, doesnt it?

I didnt say, nor mean that.
quote:
Originally posted by mark-ireland:
how are new djs ment to gain more experiecne and get feedback if they cant even share a mix with people?

Asking from people what they think about their mixing skills is a good thing. Making CD-R's for promotional purposes and sending them to promoters is a good thing. The latter being the main reason and purpose of mixtapes.

But making a section that basicly says "download free hardcore here", isnt what mixtapes are for IMHO. I know i'm pretty much alone with this one. I think, mixtapes are in the "gray area" and they should be allowed, but for the reasons labels allow them. I dont think we should try to exploit how far we can streatch it. Instead go by the way they are allowed in the first place, and making an area for them wouldnt be for this purpose. There are commercially released mixed CD's, witch shouldnt have to compete with mixtapes.

I think making a "demo" section for producers would be a better thing, but for mixtapes -> no. But this is just my opinion, feel free to disagree with me :)

Edited by - whispering on 2005/02/12 08:44:21
silver
Admin

Japan
12,547 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2005/02/12 :  09:24:47  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
Thanks for the suggestion but I couldn't do that... Artists and labels have emailed me in the past asking me to remove mixes because of the tracklist... hence that is why we remove tracklists for mixes... it's grey area...

I know for example Sharkey for one has publicly posted on this site that no one is to put any of his tracks into any mixes without his express permission... Lee UHF also did the same thing...

I don't mean to be a hard ass but what people seem to have forgetten is that a DJ mix is for gettings gigs and showing off your DJ skills and not for giving away free hardcore tunes.... You should give your DJ demo's to event promotors or upload them to a licensed radio station.

dj_sidewinder

United Kingdom
30 posts
dj_sidewinder has attended 1 event
Posted - 2005/02/12 :  10:17:54  Show profile  Send a private message
On subject of promoters and such can someone answer this.I play a varied set usually starting with happy hardcore and ending in hardcore depending on mood.Sometimes just hardcore.I dont have equipment at moment to make a cd up would a promoter accept a mixtape.Also i stay in glasgow so is there any promoters near here who look for this kind of set.Thanks.

Mixing up a storm on the wheels of steel.

TypeR
Advanced Member

Unknown
2,633 posts

55 hardcore releases
TypeR has donated money to the site TypeR has attended 11 events
Posted - 2005/02/23 :  06:31:42  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit TypeR's homepage
by mixing the tracks into eachother takes it from being an original work into a "cover" version, thats how bands can put cover songs on cd's without permission, as the song is changed in a way that the vocals and such are in a differen't pitch, or speed. wouldn't it be the same for dance music? we mix the tracks together at differen't speeds and put the tracks together in such a way that between the vocals of each song the beats take on a different sound, warping the original into a two minute midsection of a "song". just my opinion though, i could be wrong about the cover version though. respect to the guys that said no to putting their tracks into mixes and putting them on here though. if we were all to read the labels on our records, they say that it is prohibited to reproduce that work or to play live or on a recording without the prior or written consent of the artist. think of how many times that rule has been broken on this website alone with people posting mixes. i know i'm guilty of it, i posted a mix with ten tracks, thats the rule broken ten times.

don't stand and stare, just kick your legs in the air

whispering

Finland
8,452 posts
Posted - 2005/02/23 :  07:00:07  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit whispering's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by djritalin:
by mixing the tracks into eachother takes it from being an original work into a "cover" version, thats how bands can put cover songs on cd's without permission

Yes your right, in some cases bands can make cover versions without the permission of the original artist, though all song writing credits goes to the original artist. But if you use even 1 second clip of another track, you will need the copyright holders permission.

TypeR
Advanced Member

Unknown
2,633 posts

55 hardcore releases
TypeR has donated money to the site TypeR has attended 11 events
Posted - 2005/02/23 :  07:04:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit TypeR's homepage
so, say i were to use brisks "serious hardcore" all I would have to do is ask permission and have written proof that it was ok and i would be able to use it whenever i wanted or for only that one production?

don't stand and stare, just kick your legs in the air

whispering

Finland
8,452 posts
Posted - 2005/02/23 :  08:24:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit whispering's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by djritalin:
so, say i were to use brisks "serious hardcore" all I would have to do is ask permission and have written proof that it was ok and i would be able to use it whenever i wanted or for only that one production?

Yea, if Brisk gives you permission to use "Serious Hardcore" whenever and however you want, then you can use it however and whenever you want. Though nobody would give that type of permission :p If you make a "cover" that uses clips from the original track, it would be more like a remix, then a cover. So if you really would want to do a cover of "Serious Hardcore" using clips from the original track, I think it would be bettter to ask Brisk permission to remix the track. You wouldnt make any money of the track, even if it would be released. But you would gain some reputation if its a good remix :)

But e.g. sampling is something that is not "legal", but so far its been "allowed", i think? I do remember some talk about that going to change though.

Also, im not really an expert on this area, so i might be wrong :p

Underloop
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,895 posts

91 hardcore releases
Underloop has donated money to the site Underloop has attended 5 events
Posted - 2005/02/23 :  09:27:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Underloop's homepage
A cover is when you re-record the song using a different vocalist, and you actually play in all the instrumental bits and beats etc. As soon as you use a recording that somebody else has made you are into the sampling/remix territory.

From my understanding of it, you can pretty much cover (ie re-record) any song that is by a writer registered with the PRS (in the UK - not sure on the deal with international organisations) providing you notify the PRS when it is proposed to be released.

If a song is written by an artist who is not registered with the PRS then I believe you need permission off the artist/copyright holder.

If you want to sample then it becomes more complicated, and you need premission off shedloads of people depending what copyrights exist. First you still need permission off the songwriter, also the mechanical copyright holder (usually the label, unless the artist has retained this copyright). Also, sometimes there are other copyrights at play such as performance copyrights etc.

Something to bear in mind with hardcore though if you want to sample/cover a hardcore tune is that often the tunes themselves are errrrrrrrmmm.... "covers" LOL, so who you think owns the copyright often doesn't lol

Matthew aka DJ Underloop

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.47 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page