Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 bpm counting
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
wicky vicky
Banned

United States
55 posts
Posted - 2001/07/27 :  19:02:27  Show profile Send a private message  Visit wicky vicky's homepage
i have been practicing beat matching very hard. i can hold 2 songs together for about 15 seconds and then they start galloping. someone told me that i should count the bpms. how would i do that?

"play nothing but hardcore"

Alert moderator
silver
Admin

Japan
12,547 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2001/07/28 :  04:28:16  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
Personally I never count the BPM if you do that then you have to do it for both tunes, I go by ear, but most important is to know your tunes! That way if one starts to go faster than the other one you know which one to adjust....

Tip for starters: Once you *think* you have gotten the tracks beat matched, start the record again then mix it again, leave it like this for 30-60 seconds (while listening on your headphones) and see if it is actually matched perfectly, make fine pitch adjustments if need be.

Alot of DJ starters also make the mistake of playing both records in the headphones, you do not need to do this, this is why there are DJ monitors (or speakers) right next to the DJ. Only put the track that you are attempting to mix in in your headphones and use the speaker to hear the other track. You can play both in your headphones if you wish to confirm the mix, but I find if you do that you can't seperate the tunes well enough in headphones.

Good luck.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
dj-efeks

Australia
298 posts
Posted - 2001/07/28 :  04:37:31  Show profile  Send a private message
i find that it is very rare that you match 2 tracks "perfectly" during a set anyway, im always making little pitch adjustments to keep the tracks together...

...we were taught to believe, that everyone was created equal in the masterplan...

StrifeII
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,143 posts
StrifeII is verified hardcore artist
Posted - 2001/07/28 :  07:19:32  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit StrifeII's homepage
err...a BPM counter??

------------------------------------------------------------
http://artists2.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Robbie_Jay/

silver
Admin

Japan
12,547 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2001/07/28 :  10:27:50  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
Actually I have an Pioneer effect unit that allows me to play all sorts of effects while DJ, I only really use it for the pre amp. But this effects unit has a digital BPM counter that I never use only if I am interested to see what BPM I am at the moment. I have never used it live so I don't I hardly use it at home.

Alex_In_Wonderland

United Kingdom
104 posts
Posted - 2001/08/13 :  10:59:31  Show profile  Send a private message
I find it easier to match beats by ear rather than using a bpm counter. My mixer's so sh*t that I couldn't trust the bpm counter on it anyway.

Alex.

dj-efeks

Australia
298 posts
Posted - 2001/08/13 :  12:31:50  Show profile  Send a private message
most bpm counters are really dodgy anyway, in my experience

...we were taught to believe, that everyone was created equal in the masterplan...

DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
DJ Mouse has attended 1 event
Posted - 2001/08/15 :  14:31:29  Show profile  Send a private message
i don't have a bpm counter so i've had to do it by ear,i've been on setups with bpm counters and they aren't exactly precise

djm
it's like a dream,no end and no beginning...

silver
Admin

Japan
12,547 posts

894 hardcore releases
Posted - 2001/08/15 :  21:45:55  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
Yep everyone's correct never trust a BPM counter, it more of a guide.

FingazMc
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,761 posts
FingazMc has attended 28 events
Posted - 2001/08/16 :  14:10:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit FingazMc's homepage
so i definatly shouldent buy one cuz i was gonna get one cuz im findin it pretty hard to beat match. r u still gonna do that video silver?

http://mcstyleeuk.homestead.com/homepage.html

silver
Admin

Japan
12,547 posts

894 hardcore releases
Posted - 2001/08/16 :  22:20:55  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
Yeah I should shouldn't I... let me see if I can find a video recorder.

virus
Advanced Member

Canada
4,346 posts

716 hardcore releases
virus has attended 41 events
Posted - 2001/08/17 :  05:21:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit virus's homepage
everytime i play out on that pioneer mixer, the bpm counter is always somewhere in the 600's :P

and quite frequently hits "666"

always gives me a good laugh ;)

adam

cookietrip143
Starting Member

14 posts
Posted - 2001/08/19 :  17:18:21  Show profile  Send a private message
my personal advice to u or anyone trying to master beat matching(or anything else by that matter)is to first develop a clear perception of that which is,in this case,sound.
if youre somewhat musically oriented/trained itll only take a little bit of practice.
also doing drugs messes up perception.alot of people/musicians/djs use em cuz they seem to heighten it at first but like most people-me included- realize that in the long run this only causes an undesirable lethargy.

my 2 cents if u will.

aznwasian

United States
428 posts
Posted - 2001/08/19 :  18:25:12  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit aznwasian's homepage
I would go with a bpm counter. there not that expensive and there worth it.

¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸aZnWaSiAn¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯
-I can't stop raving...

SorceryKid

United States
32 posts
Posted - 2001/08/26 :  23:33:37  Show profile  Send a private message
quote:
Originally posted by dj-efeks:
i find that it is very rare that you match 2 tracks "perfectly" during a set anyway, im always making little pitch adjustments to keep the tracks together...

I find I do the same thing, but moreso with CDs that were originally mastered from analog tape (which typically suffer from some degree of wow and flutter). Obviously electronic-based music rarely has this type of problem, assuming it was produced completely in the digital domain. Many times I can get two industrial CDs in-time for up to two minutes at varying pitch percentages! Sometimes, it gets so annoying, I purposefully change the pitch on one just so I can do some manual interaction. Heh.

--DJ SorceryKid

SorceryKid

United States
32 posts
Posted - 2001/08/26 :  23:41:31  Show profile  Send a private message
The only BPM counters I ever use are the manual tap-kind... and even that is just for getting a quick estimate of the tempo i'm running at on either deck (sometimes when tunes are within a few percent of each other it's hard for me to determine which way to go). I'd never use automation for BPM counting as I see no reason to invest in something that can be done almost as easily and quickly by ear -- and which IMO takes much of the fun out of DJing!

--DJ SorceryKid

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.34 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page