Printer friendly
Page: 
of 13

Author Thread  
Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2017/04/18 :  23:12:37  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
Elliott: If you ask me, M-Project is playing safe for the UK residents rather than being himself, so you wont see me bemoaning your criticms about him. I just hope he's experimenting with new sound (relative to himself) than actually trying to become "british" with his sound.

Fair point. M-Project has plenty of credit in the bank with me because of his recent SB collabs. The Spark, in particular, is everything we need more of.

It's not like there's anything wrong with his remix anyway. I'd just rather hear a fresh track in that style.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Sulphurik
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
954 posts
Posted - 2017/04/19 :  20:26:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Sulphurik's homepage  Reply with quote
Intrigued with the tracklist. Recognise a few tracks which are good to see on album. Good to see Scott Brown mix with quite a few tracks from new talent in the scene.

Elliott - M Project This is how we do it remix is very good.

Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2017/04/19 :  22:25:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sulphurik:
Intrigued with the tracklist. Recognise a few tracks which are good to see on album. Good to see Scott Brown mix with quite a few tracks from new talent in the scene.

Elliott - M Project This is how we do it remix is very good.

Maybe I should've worded my criticism less strongly. My complaint is just that it's another vanilla update of another hardcore classic that didn't particularly need to be updated. Yes, it's enjoyable because the original track was enjoyable.

If a talented producer like MP is going to go to the trouble of emulating this style and lead, I'd rather he did something completely fresh with it. That way we'd have This Is How We Do It and something that isn't This Is How We Do It to enjoy instead of two copies of more or less the same tune.

It's a nitpick really!

Edit: I didn't mind updates so much when we were drowning in good hardcore but great producers making this kind of music is a rarity now so I want every track to count, if that makes sense.

Edited by - Elliott on 2017/04/19 22:28:20
CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2017/04/19 :  22:26:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage  Reply with quote
F&D wanted it for cd1 but it's a headline track. I love the euro 90s noises in it, very early Dune.

Frankly I look forward to reclaiming the last 25 years of genre without being sneered at.

This is phase two, it only amps from here. Fresh thinking, respect for roots, aspirations for our scene. Toot, toot!

The last 18 months nearly killed us, but I have never been more positive.

This is it.

CDJay

Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2017/04/19 :  22:32:34  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by CDJay:
F&D wanted it for cd1 but it's a headline track. I love the euro 90s noises in it, very early Dune.

Frankly I look forward to reclaiming the last 25 years of genre without being sneered at.

This is phase two, it only amps from here. Fresh thinking, respect for roots, aspirations for our scene. Toot, toot!

The last 18 months nearly killed us, but I have never been more positive.

This is it.

CDJay

Thanks for sharing the awesomeness of the Cube::Hard remix with me. I didn't know F&D could still make them like that. ;)

Have you cherry-picked the tranciest, most awesome, most '00s sounding track on the album though or can I get excited?

Edited by - Elliott on 2017/04/19 22:33:17
CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2017/04/20 :  00:25:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage  Reply with quote
I just happened to get the final version as Chwhynny decided to wind you up. Obviously it's not *all* like that. It is a small show of force. We are no longer afraid. The princesses can call us oldskool all they want. The genre is ours. Tolerate the short term and seek horizon. The reason *reason* loses is people with a clue giving up the investigation.

CDJay

Edited by - CDJay on 2017/04/20 01:12:17
Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2017/04/20 :  02:44:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
I just happened to get the final version as Chwhynny decided to wind you up. Obviously it's not *all* like that. It is a small show of force. We are no longer afraid. The princesses can call us oldskool all they want. The genre is ours. Tolerate the short term and seek horizon. The reason *reason* loses is people with a clue giving up the investigation.

CDJay

Well, I can salute this. I want genuine diversity and a scene where people can make the kind of music they want without being punished commercially. The frustrating thing is that the '00s vibe is still commercially viable and there's an obvious market for it but we all know why it isn't being produced much.

I like the noises you're making about taking on the stranglehold that certain people have over the direction of the music. This is exactly the role that HU should and needs to play. Don't let them dictate the terms of the fight (unfortunately, it is a fight, as you know).

I have genuine hope that SB can shake up the scene if he decides not to compromise his artistic integrity. It's ironic, of course, because SB had a reputation for being a bit of a dinosaur and never evolving but now we need those same attributes to help the scene evolve.

Tell her I picked her track out on the last album as one of my highlights!

I also found this very relevant article earlier (complete coincidence) and noticed that you had responded to it: http://alive-at-night.com/hardcore-vibes-the-new-era-of-uk-hardcore/

That is exactly the kind of shit that gets people around here into attack mode. How can anyone claim that hardcore has enough diversity or that the sound isn't being manipulated by directives from the top? The music media - when they aren't ignoring us completely - has heralded a "new era" of hardcore that sounds, uh, suspiciously similar to a certain label -- or, more specifically, a certain polarising duo. Usually their proclamations come with a free derisory snort aimed at hardcore of the '90s and/or '00s. Apparently you can't have one without denigrating the other.

Given the author's apparent awareness of a concentration of power in the scene, you would think that a puff piece would mention some other names or labels like HU, if only to make it look like the scene actually has variety. That article couldn't have been written any better if it had come straight from TWR's PR department. Speaking of which, what's C.Kay up to these days anyway?

The deal seems to have been "if you all sack off that happy supersaw shit, pretend it never happened and produce mainstream EDM at 170bpm, we'll make a few of you moderately big names that occasionally get a decent slot at a hardstyle festival where a handful of sufficiently E'd up hipsters who've vaguely heard of you might stick around and listen to a couple of tracks -- the rest of you will get nothing and your scene will die in pursuit of an elusive new audience but don't worry because there's always a tiny chance that the few who make it might drop 30 seconds of one of your tunes in Las Vegas and we'll post a clip on YouTube". That's real exposure! To an American audience!

Edited by - Elliott on 2017/04/20 03:48:40
Sulphurik
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
954 posts
Posted - 2017/04/20 :  19:31:42  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Sulphurik's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elliott:
quote:

CDJay

Well, I can salute this. I want genuine diversity and a scene where people can make the kind of music they want without being punished commercially. The frustrating thing is that the '00s vibe is still commercially viable and there's an obvious market for it but we all know why it isn't being produced much.

I like the noises you're making about taking on the stranglehold that certain people have over the direction of the music. This is exactly the role that HU should and needs to play. Don't let them dictate the terms of the fight (unfortunately, it is a fight, as you know).

I have genuine hope that SB can shake up the scene if he decides not to compromise his artistic integrity. It's ironic, of course, because SB had a reputation for being a bit of a dinosaur and never evolving but now we need those same attributes to help the scene evolve.

Tell her I picked her track out on the last album as one of my highlights!

I also found this very relevant article earlier (complete coincidence) and noticed that you had responded to it: http://alive-at-night.com/hardcore-vibes-the-new-era-of-uk-hardcore/

That is exactly the kind of shit that gets people around here into attack mode. How can anyone claim that hardcore has enough diversity or that the sound isn't being manipulated by directives from the top? The music media - when they aren't ignoring us completely - has heralded a "new era" of hardcore that sounds, uh, suspiciously similar to a certain label -- or, more specifically, a certain polarising duo. Usually their proclamations come with a free derisory snort aimed at hardcore of the '90s and/or '00s. Apparently you can't have one without denigrating the other.

Given the author's apparent awareness of a concentration of power in the scene, you would think that a puff piece would mention some other names or labels like HU, if only to make it look like the scene actually has variety. That article couldn't have been written any better if it had come straight from TWR's PR department. Speaking of which, what's C.Kay up to these days anyway?

The deal seems to have been "if you all sack off that happy supersaw shit, pretend it never happened and produce mainstream EDM at 170bpm, we'll make a few of you moderately big names that occasionally get a decent slot at a hardstyle festival where a handful of sufficiently E'd up hipsters who've vaguely heard of you might stick around and listen to a couple of tracks -- the rest of you will get nothing and your scene will die in pursuit of an elusive new audience but don't worry because there's always a tiny chance that the few who make it might drop 30 seconds of one of your tunes in Las Vegas and we'll post a clip on YouTube". That's real exposure! To an American audience!

Thanks for that link. Interesting to read that and most of those tracks hadn't heard. Quite liking the sound of most of them actually. Mark Breeze - Be Alone sounds really good.

You & I Da Tweekaz remix sounds good. I'm not really that into hardstyle but sometimes I take notions of listening to it. Do love the melodic style and with vocals works well in the You & I remix. There are some of the Dutch hardstyle artists have been impressed with what they've done.

What's anyone's thoughts of hardstyle in UK Hardcore tracks? I would be all for influences of the melodic side of hardstyle in UK hardcore like Be Alone but wouldn't be so keen on hardstyle beats.
Tracks like Scott Brown - Promise. I like the track but I'm a fan of the normal UK hardcore kickdrum. Some hardstyle sounding UK hardcore tracks might be ok but it's not something I would be that keen to hear more of.

Edited by - Sulphurik on 2017/04/20 19:33:57
lewiscanon

United Kingdom
71 posts
Posted - 2017/04/21 :  23:11:20  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit lewiscanon's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by djDMS:
Out with the old....

As the saying goes Oot wif the old in wif the new but the Old tunes is still gold :D . Is this available in IMO Download aswell as the main site?

CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2017/04/23 :  13:18:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage  Reply with quote
No, you get the digital rights assigned with purchase of the limited edition CD

That's both DJ mixes *and* 40 unmixed tracks.

CDJay

Sulphurik
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
954 posts
Posted - 2017/04/23 :  14:31:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Sulphurik's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elliott:
Wow. How anti-climactic is that remix of This Is How We Do It?

I know M-Project is one of HH.com's protected producers (insert trademark symbol) so I'm going to get flak for this but it's a lazy remix. All I'm hearing is the original track with a modern kick/bass combo prefixed with a fairly nice new breakdown. The endless remixes of You're Shining and You're My Angel had more originality than this. On the plus side, even the lead sounds very similar to the original so at least it's not 2017-core bad. In fact, it's not bad at all. It's just needless. I'd prefer some new music that sounds like this rather than fan service remixes.

Outforce used to be good (I forgot his alias before that but he was producing some good stuff long before he was called Outforce). Andy Wilson's done a few sick bits over the years -- loved his Last Jungle remix. Actually, Ganar was quite good too several years ago, even if his tracks did all sound the same. It's cool to see Chexmixer get a collab with Stu Infinity. Chex is a good guy and Stu Infinity used to be one of the best fringe producers in the scene. But I'm using the past tense a lot; they've all moved on now. None of them are producing music that I want to hear anymore. Sadly, I predict the Scott Brown tracks are going to turn out to be quite modern in style to keep in tone with the rest of the mix. Overall, this is really quite an uninspiring tracklist.

I'm sticking with what I said before. In the Bonkers days, when Scott Brown chose to exclusively showcase his own music, it could be frustrating because there was so much good stuff out there to choose from (even though SB was making enough bangers to fill his disks, in his defence). These days, when most other hardcore is shite, an SB-only disk would be a blessing. And I have extreme reservations about him being brought in to do a disk with people like Outforce and Ganar featured prominently. It'd be like bringing Trixxy out of retirement to do a UK hardcore disk. I just hope this isn't the beginning of the end of SB.

Dowster & Vagabond sank without trace it seems. A real shame. They were quietly working away churning out good hardcore. I think they learnt firsthand how difficult it is to keep producing a style that the scene has moved away from. They got no play or support from the wider scene at all, which is exactly the stuff that forces everyone to produce homogenous, generic music and/or abandon their principles if they want to continue making hardcore as anything other than a hobby.

Conversely, with the Orbit1 return, I've learnt to expect nothing from returning producers. In fact, it was a pleasant surprise when Dowster & Vagabond started coming out with a very traditional brand of UK hardcore. Most returning producers just seem to come back and slot in with the zeitgeist. Like the other names in my post, Orbit1 was good at one point, under both aliases, but there's a recurring theme here. I reckon he's going to half-commit to a more modern style and end up satisfying no-one. We've seen that before.

Never thought I'd write such a doom-and-gloomy post on a Scott Brown compilation CD. It's a sign of the times, I suppose.

Disappointing to hear about Dowster & Vagabond - hopefully they will release more tracks again in the future. Bought a few of their tracks recently. Their collab with M-Project I Wanna Be I love. Another of their tracks Make the club shake just heard recently, sounds great - bit different to their normal style.

Edited by - Sulphurik on 2017/04/23 14:33:26
CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2017/04/27 :  18:32:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage  Reply with quote
HH themed HU podcast is up now!

https://soundcloud.com/hardcoreunderground/the-hardcore-underground-show-podcast-18-fracus-darwin-april-2017

CDJay

Sulphurik
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
954 posts
Posted - 2017/04/29 :  09:11:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Sulphurik's homepage  Reply with quote
Podcast 18 sounds good! Some great sounding tracks.

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2017/04/29 :  20:44:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage  Reply with quote
Some great new stuff on there. Heard quite a lot of the tracks off the new album now and it's sounding promising.

Unfortunately 'disappointingdropcore' hasn't quite gone away yet but things are improving slowly

CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2017/04/30 :  21:00:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage  Reply with quote
I entirely get where you're coming from, there's little evidence on this album.

I'm serene.

CDJay

Edited by - CDJay on 2017/05/01 10:04:31

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 13 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5  ... 9  10  11  12  13
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.53 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page