Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 Panning problem with mixer.
 Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Comet
Advanced Member

United States
1,544 posts

745 hardcore releases
Comet has donated money to the site Comet has attended 22 events
Posted - 2003/09/08 :  20:30:43  Show profile Send a private message
I've had some trouble with my mixer lately (like.. started 3 months ago).

What happens, is whenever I play, both tables have more sound on the right channel than the left. This shows on the top of the mixer as well as in Cool Edit. At first I thought it was a needle problem, but I thought, "I just got these and haven't even abused them, plus why would both go out at the same time?".

Today, I just got my CDJ100s. I plugged it in and noticed that it is perfectly in the middle (panning wise) and it's really hard to mix from table to CDJ with the panning being funky.

Can someone PLEASE help me? Maybe on a messenger service would be nice. I need to fix this so I can do more shows!

__________ _ _ _
Hardcore 'till I die ..

Alert moderator

Edited by - Comet on 2003/09/08 20:31:21
Underloop
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,895 posts

91 hardcore releases
Underloop has donated money to the site Underloop has attended 5 events
Posted - 2003/09/09 :  00:39:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Underloop's homepage
If it only does it on your Turntables, and not your CDJ, then it sounds like something to do with the phono inputs (or the circuitry connected to the phono inputs - maybe the pre-amp??). Best bet to see if it is this is to take your mixer round to a mate's house and connect it up to their decks, and see if you get the same problem.... if you do then it is almost definitely something to do with your mixer..... I'm thinking it sounds like something to do with the RIAA pre-amp

Matthew aka DJ Underloop

Intense Radio - the freshest up and coming DJs
http://intense.underloop.co.uk
Hardcore, Trance, Drum n Bass, Tech House etc

Alert moderator Go to top of page
silver
Admin

Japan
12,549 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2003/09/09 :  02:17:13  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
Plug your phono's into your line input (turn all the volume down) and very very slowly pull them up... it will be very distorted and the quaility wont matter but you will be able to figure out if it is your mixer or your turntables.

Try the same with the CDJ in the phono's, figure out were your problem is by elimating things.

What CDJ did you get?

Kaffine

United States
474 posts

91 hardcore releases
Kaffine has donated money to the site
Posted - 2003/09/09 :  07:28:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Kaffine's homepage
It's your carts. If they're mounted wrong, there's too much weight or the anti-skate isn't set properly (normally too much of it) the cartridge runs too much along one side of the groove and not enough on the other side of the groove and produces a balance issue. Toy with your settings... that fixed it for me.

-dj h3o

All I know is that to me, you look like you're lots of fun, open up your loving arms - watch out here I come!

Comet
Advanced Member

United States
1,544 posts

745 hardcore releases
Posted - 2003/09/09 :  14:43:25  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Comet's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by silver:
What CDJ did you get?

CDJ-100S for only $299 grand total! :)

quote:
Originally posted by Kaffine:
It's your carts. If they're mounted wrong, there's too much weight or the anti-skate isn't set properly (normally too much of it) the cartridge runs too much along one side of the groove and not enough on the other side of the groove and produces a balance issue. Toy with your settings... that fixed it for me.

That REALLY sounds like what is happening. When I pick up the needle a little bit so it barely touches the groove, I can hear the left channel coming through more. What exactly can I do to get it back on track (no pun intended)?

__________ _ _ _
Hardcore 'till I die ..

Kaffine

United States
474 posts

91 hardcore releases
Posted - 2003/09/09 :  16:36:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Kaffine's homepage
This could be as simple as fixing the weight on your counterwieght to as complex as having to remount your cartridges so they're perfectly paralell to the sides of your headshell or as expensive as having to replace your carts altogether. Try fiddling with anti-skate first - turn it on as low as it can go, then as high as it can go. Also, try adjusting the tonearm height. Be sure your tonearm is PERFECTLY balanced!

-dj h3o

All I know is that to me, you look like you're lots of fun, open up your loving arms - watch out here I come!

Comet
Advanced Member

United States
1,544 posts

745 hardcore releases
Posted - 2003/09/09 :  16:59:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Comet's homepage
Okay, I'll try something.

I hate my tables. When I first got them (delivered from Illinois) I noticed that when I plug in the tone arm, it made the damn thing crooked.. I wish I could get that part replaced!

__________ _ _ _
Hardcore 'till I die ..

silver
Admin

Japan
12,549 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2003/09/09 :  18:11:56  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
What kind of turntables do you have?

Comet
Advanced Member

United States
1,544 posts

745 hardcore releases
Posted - 2003/09/09 :  18:49:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Comet's homepage
Numark TT100's but on one of them, the part where you plug in the tone arm, its off center. So when I plug it in, the needle end up being crooked on the table. I might have to take a pic of a record playing.

__________ _ _ _
Hardcore 'till I die ..

silver
Admin

Japan
12,549 posts

894 hardcore releases
Posted - 2003/09/09 :  22:32:21  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
1200's come with the tone arm already set so I never had to do anything there.

Comet
Advanced Member

United States
1,544 posts

745 hardcore releases
Posted - 2003/09/09 :  23:14:42  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Comet's homepage
..which is why I want a damn EB to open up near me so I can get a job! I NEED to get some technics!

EDIT: I wanted to know. Is my current problem bad for my records?

__________ _ _ _
Hardcore 'till I die ..

Edited by - Comet on 2003/09/09 23:19:17
Kaffine

United States
474 posts

91 hardcore releases
Posted - 2003/09/10 :  12:38:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Kaffine's homepage
Could be! If sufficient force is exerted to one side of the record groove and your needles aren't as forgiving as stanton's rounded-tip stylii, you might be causing mad uneven wear and permanently causing balance problems on your records (in the reverse - the side that's quieter now would be louder afterward.) That's in an extreme case however...

Did you try the old coin-on-the-headshell trick?

-dj h3o

Comet
Advanced Member

United States
1,544 posts

745 hardcore releases
Posted - 2003/09/17 :  02:57:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Comet's homepage
Hmm... I've been looking at the needle on the record and it seems fully in the groove so I don't think thats it. But then I wonder why when I hover it above the groove it gets more of the left channel.

I've narrowed it down to maybe connection to the headshell. I want someone near me to have turntables so I can cancel things out. But I'm worried to play anything until it's fixed because I don't want it to ruin all my records!!

I'll try the coin on headshell but I don't think anything weight wise will work. I want someone to come over and help me out!

__________ _ _ _
Hardcore 'till I die ..

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.97 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page