Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 General discussion
 Front page news, end of mixes?
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 4

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Menion
Average Member

Sweden
237 posts

68 hardcore releases
Posted - 2004/01/28 :  06:04:11  Show profile Send a private message View the linked resource
According to the news on the frontpage it's now not goning to be safe to release tape packs and/or record live at events. But wouldn't this apply to all the mixes that dj's do for promotion, I mean, mp3 mixes from a bedroom dj posted here etc... it's kinda the same thing, isn't?

Alert moderator
silver
Admin

Japan
12,548 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2004/01/28 :  06:26:41  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
It's fine if they licence them... so if people want to release the live recordings they have to pay the artists / labels the way every other legal CD release does.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
GregE
Average Member

Australia
183 posts
GregE has attended 3 events
Posted - 2004/01/28 :  06:35:12  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit GregE's homepage
first of all i will be posting a link about the issue in a few days that has all the information u will want on it...
Silver, would u have ever got a gig if u didn't release demos to everyone left right and center????
Personally (and i aint a dj) i think it is pure greed, if the CD is being produced, the DJ's must already have PURCHACED the vinyl...i cant see y songs need to be licenced if there is no profit bing made directly from the CD. like my mates give me mixes on CD all the time, for me to listen to to make comment on...not to sell for $598234524
Greed is a bad seed indeed people
OUT
GregE

I EAT KANGEROOS!!!

DJ Dizzystick

United States
84 posts
Posted - 2004/01/28 :  06:40:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Dizzystick's homepage
i don't think the producers are worried about people making demos and giving them away for free. they're taking legal action against companies that release live mixes for profit, profit which never ever see's the producers pocket. bedroom dj's aren't hurting the scene. they're helping it stay alive. (that's unless they're selling their mixes without licensing the tracks first) at least that's my understading on the issue.

Keep The Beats Bangin

GregE
Average Member

Australia
183 posts
GregE has attended 3 events
Posted - 2004/01/28 :  06:49:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit GregE's homepage
it is this simple...release a cd that u mixed with out permission of each of labels on that CD and they can prosicute you and sue you for any profit u made off it. That includes if u gave the CD away but it was listened to by some club and u got a gig.
not sure if they would pash it but yeah will post that link as i said
OUT
GregE

I EAT KANGEROOS!!!

Comet
Advanced Member

United States
1,544 posts

745 hardcore releases
Comet has donated money to the site Comet has attended 22 events
Posted - 2004/01/28 :  07:07:41  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Comet's homepage
That's a little different. There is no way you could get hired for anything if you didn't send out a demo CD to promoters. The only thing I think this affects is the selling of live performances. As in, if you sell your CD or anyones CD without getting the permission from the artists. I know Scott Brown doesn't care at all when DJs make a mix containing some of his songs if it was for demo use. But when you get to the point of selling it, that's where it get's sketchy.

__________ _ _ __________ _ _ __________ _ _ __________ _ _
Y Don't U get off your arse and get these tracks out instead...

mrc
Average Member

United Kingdom
214 posts
mrc has attended 6 events
Posted - 2004/01/28 :  08:08:40  Show profile  Send a private message
im all up for DJ's gettin what they deserve, its only fair.

But who do you think is gona pay for it? Not Slammin or any other event that does tape packs, its always the consumer.

oh s*it man, what was i saying?

djmarinecorpse

Canada
265 posts
Posted - 2004/01/28 :  08:26:28  Show profile  Send a private message
This is the combination of two posts I made to the Kniteforce forums on the subject. Please, don't flame me as a result.

quote:
Bloody pricks. If you ask me, they're getting too greedy. There can be no such thing as licensed tape packs - the only reason there are so many tape packs out there is because of the cheapness of making them. I do not buy mix CDs, but tape packs were somewhat interesting because of their cheap price. So many good old obscure tracks I found out about through tape packs, because it wasn't just a disc of hits that some CD company thought were worth paying for. The one thing that I've always found liberating about the hardcore scene is the attitude towards copyright. I mean, you blatantly steal someone else's work, that's always been just wrong. But there was never any anger over licensing payments for tracks at events - you bought the vinyl, and that was the end of it - none of this club licensing shit. And even if you pissed someone off, it was mostly held as a grudge rather than a full-scale legal battle over it.

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong, but it seems that the growing commercialization of hardcore as it grows in popularity is totally ****ing it up. Not just the scene, but also the music is generally growing horrible, with labels like Raver Baby and the newer Evolution releases paving the road with shit.

Agh... Sorry, I'm probably overreacting - I'm just in a rather nasty mood today.

Sorry, I forgot to include my retort to the CD issue: basically, it's not gonna matter if it's CD or not - it isn't even the complete song. I have tons of tape pack rips - I consider a tape pack rip to be as good as a track off a mix CD - i.e. useless, except as preview for the real thing. Really, it was somewhat cheeky on SV's part, but it's still not, in my opinion, rude enough to warrant action...

Paul

Old sig removed due to stagnation.

djmarinecorpse

Canada
265 posts
Posted - 2004/01/28 :  08:29:08  Show profile  Send a private message
Anybody notice that the SV site is down? I'm in such a bad funk right now I was gonna go and look into buying the New Year's pack...

Paul

DarrenJ
Advanced Member

Australia
2,626 posts
DarrenJ has attended 12 events
Posted - 2004/01/28 :  08:31:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DarrenJ's homepage
Personally I think they have a right to do this
They live of the money they make on vinyls and shows they do
but I think its sad that other people wont hear what they missed out on, esp when most people who will buy the mix will be the ones who were there.
If not they might just hear the tape or mix and say "hey hardcore isnt that bad...my friend says it sounds like a old washing machine banging around but this is good"....which of sadly heard :(
Boo @ the people selling the tapes/cd's thu

well I, I will, I will hardcore

Exhile
Advanced Member

Netherlands
1,365 posts
Exhile has donated money to the site
Posted - 2004/01/28 :  08:34:37  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Exhile's homepage
Get it from the HH.com shop.

----------------------------------------------------------

Find all my mixes at www.intenseradio.co.uk

Frank

DarrenJ
Advanced Member

Australia
2,626 posts
DarrenJ has attended 12 events
Posted - 2004/01/28 :  09:16:42  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DarrenJ's homepage
Boo at everyone else then *hides*

well I, I will, I will hardcore

silver
Admin

Japan
12,548 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2004/01/28 :  10:02:18  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
What's the difference between someone sharing MP3's and the artists not getting any money and tape pack producers copying the tunes 1000's of times and SELLING it! .... Nothing, except this is worse because the tape producers and just taking something that is not there's, selling it making money and giving nothing to the people that actually wrote the tunes.

Fair enough that the DJ's get a big sum of money but that aint fair to the new talent and the labels that get nothing. Hardcore needs new talent and tape packs offer nothing to these people.

All the labels and artists and not putting up with this anymore, it's gone on far enough... you will not see unlicenced tape packs in hardcore anymore.

Simon
Advanced Member

Belgium
5,001 posts
Simon has donated money to the site Simon has attended 5 events
Posted - 2004/01/28 :  10:21:27  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Simon's homepage
Had they done this 4/5 years ago, then Hardcore would be in a real state! A LOT of people I know who first got introduced to hardcore was from a tape frome a tape pack, Now it's easier to find and understand what hardcore music is, but back then it wasn't so easily found. I think it's a shame really, but I tell you one thing, I bet the D&B artists won't complain about the tapes, and there on the same deal they won't recieve any money for them, but a lot of the UK D&B scene pride themselves on being underground, and tapes "were" one of the best ways to get the music around to people.

"Hush little baby, don’t say a word
And never mind that noise you heard
It’s just the beast under your bed,
In your closet, in your head"

Peg
Starting Member

United Kingdom
16 posts
Posted - 2004/01/28 :  10:33:32  Show profile  Send a private message
i think this will have a cascade affect on the music scene startig wid hardcore

Hardcore 4EVA

Lazerath

United Kingdom
276 posts
Lazerath has attended 3 events
Posted - 2004/01/28 :  10:40:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Lazerath's homepage
spelling peg????? but your right. it will. and it will turn out bad.

Hardcore Forever. True And Thru. Never Let It End.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 4 pages long: 1  2  3  4
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.67 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page