Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 General discussion
 what qualifacations do u dj's have?
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
DJ CURLY

United Kingdom
457 posts
Posted - 2002/03/25 :  09:28:35  Show profile Send a private message
i'm still quite young 16 and am wondering if i need to be clever to be a dj cus i didnt do too well in my exams (a couple of c's and b's but mainly d's)
i'm just wondering what sort of qualifications most dj's have.
maybe silver could help me out?
cus i dont really know what i want to do in my life.
being a dj no matter how big i was would be cool.
plus ive heard putting on parties can be a big money earner but from most people ive heard its a quick way to go bust.
could ne1 tell me what courses are best to learn about dj'ing or any thing to do with music, i was thinking media studies.

" when ya dont know where to go and lifes kinda slow ya gotta hit the raves and let your body lose control release the tension the pressure is high roll with the flow get high on the ride"

Alert moderator
Brian K
Advanced Member

United States
8,663 posts

528 hardcore releases
Brian K has attended 5 events
Posted - 2002/03/25 :  09:47:06  Show profile  Send a private message
ummm grades really have nothing to do with spinning, unless of course you want to be one of those elite techno djs, then you have to love math =P

make sure you have something planned for your career. you're only 16 now so you still have a lot of time to think about what you want to do, rather that be go to a university or just start up work right out of school.

i really doubt most people can afford to live off of just being a dj alone =P unless you're someone like paul okensuck. i know a lot of people that have lost money trying to put on elaborate parties and such. i think if you are going to try and throw parties, start small and then work your way to larger events.

i really don't think there are any courses available to learn how to dj. maybe you could one of those dj in a box things and get one of those nifty videos that they sell with them =P just hang out with other djs/ppl inspiring to be djs. as far as music goes, try taking music appreciation and stuff like that.

"As punishment for your desertion, it's company policy to give you the plague."

Alert moderator Go to top of page
DJ CURLY

United Kingdom
457 posts
Posted - 2002/03/25 :  10:14:33  Show profile  Send a private message
i have a job already i work in electronic boutique in walsall but have been threatened with the sack three times already (shouldnt give me early shifts then should they).

" when ya dont know where to go and lifes kinda slow ya gotta hit the raves and let your body lose control release the tension the pressure is high roll with the flow get high on the ride"

joltzy

United States
62 posts
Posted - 2002/03/25 :  10:29:12  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit joltzy's homepage
Acutualy there is a dj school go to Grooveriders.com!

JAM-HAY

Congo, Democractic Republic of the
66 posts
Posted - 2002/03/25 :  12:21:52  Show profile  Send a private message
If you love it then drop everything for it, in DJing I think its all or nothing if you want to make it big, but then again a job comes in handy at first to get you started, work hard, save hard to get the best of gear. Start with m8s birthdays and stuff in your time off, then apply to pubs and stuff with good names to put on your c.v. Then when your ready apply to small clubs and work your way up. Most, if not all big hardcore djs made it just because of their massive love of hhc alone, the money and stardom that came from it was secondary to the music. Its a gamble but so's everything. But if you dont act quick and build up a good name for yourself you run the risk of becoming the crusty old fart in the worn out leather jacket, standing behinde a cheezy light box with a couple of worn out old speakers at your auntes wedding.
I dont know how it would but hope this helps you out a little. p.s tell your aunte I was asking for her, and thank her for the gig.

'its nice to be important, but its more important to be nice'

DJ-SK8

Canada
269 posts
Posted - 2002/03/25 :  14:45:13  Show profile  Send a private message
quote:
Originally posted by joltzy:
Acutualy there is a dj school go to Grooveriders.com!

I realy don't think that being i dj is something you should teach in a school, caus then every joe shmow will start spining and then there will be nothing speshal about becoming a dj/producer. I'm not saying that dj's r better then other ravers, i'm saying that if ppl go to a school then you won't have different styls and skills, everyone will just sound the same, and it will be boring.

My god how long have those mice been living your back fat?!?!?!

WoRd?!!

DJ Mouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,687 posts
DJ Mouse has attended 1 event
Posted - 2002/03/26 :  03:29:14  Show profile  Send a private message
as long as you know the basics about music like 4/4 timing etc you'll be fine

--------------------------------------------------
DJ Mouse - "Winning a war doesn't determine who's right.... winning determines who's left"

virus
Advanced Member

Canada
4,346 posts

716 hardcore releases
virus has attended 41 events
Posted - 2002/03/26 :  04:39:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit virus's homepage
5 years of jazz, 6 years of tap.

DJ Fade
Starting Member

United Kingdom
8 posts
Posted - 2002/03/26 :  05:13:44  Show profile  Send a private message
Best advice - Don't put all your eggs into being a DJ / producer !! It's extremely hard to break it, and even harder to make a decent living from it, as you have to invest a serious amount of time / effort / cash into making it into a full time career.

I started DJ'ing in 93, and had a very good full time job in aviation for the first 4 years I was involved in music. I never gave this sideline up, and still get involved with (part time) contracts for other businesses outside the music biz.

If you're producing tracks, you rarely see any cash for around 6 months after you made it in the studio, so you've got to learn about cashflow's etc. and the general business side of it all.

I'd suggest going on a course completely different to music, so if it all goes tits up, then at least there is something to fall back on..

Fadey

Brian K
Advanced Member

United States
8,663 posts

528 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/03/26 :  07:03:34  Show profile  Send a private message
^^
well said fadey =)

DJ CURLY

United Kingdom
457 posts
Posted - 2002/03/26 :  10:51:16  Show profile  Send a private message
well i did do business studies at my school but i think i failed it.

DjMoNkEyBoY

United States
115 posts

21 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/03/26 :  11:49:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DjMoNkEyBoY's homepage
Yeah man college may teach you everything about music, and music apreciation, but it doesn't teach you how to be an artist.
What I'm saying is that it comes from you. Its great because you choose/create who you wanna be.
The only advice I could give is to be different.
It may take you a while to learn the basics. but once you do, try to be as orginal as possible. Always push the envelope and create something new.
If you can do these two things, it's only a matter of time before you're a success.
Just look at Pete Tongs career. Check the new Remix Magazine for a full 5 page article.

Dj MoNkEyBoY
Founder of Monkeyshine Inc.

Keep it Real!

Keep it Happy!

Keep it Hardcore!

Keep it Real!

Keep it Happy!

Keep it Hardcore!

Brian K
Advanced Member

United States
8,663 posts

528 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/03/26 :  15:24:06  Show profile  Send a private message
pete tong? yuck =P

silver
Admin

Japan
12,548 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2002/03/26 :  16:57:08  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
Here are the facts:
You don't have to be "school" smart to DJ but you need to have mixing talent.
Only 1 in say 10,000 DJ's can actually make a living and survive from being a just DJ.
and for the rest of the 9,999 people that can't live off just being a DJ you will need a job, record are expensive, you need a good job, you need a good job you need to be school smart...

----------------------------------
you, me and hardcore forever.

DJ Pathfinder
Advanced Member

Netherlands
1,676 posts

51 hardcore releases
Posted - 2002/03/26 :  19:59:34  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Pathfinder's homepage
and with the age of 16 you could do your school year again look at me over two days ill become 24 and stillo on school. :)

and i can spin as much as ilike.

You can't see me,because i am the future.

Heist
Advanced Member

Australia
706 posts
Posted - 2002/03/27 :  04:39:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Heist's homepage
please, and this goes for all budding djs, ONLY BE A DJ IF YOU HAVE PASSION FOR THE MUSIC!!!!!

Its impossibly hard to do it for the money now with the competition and doing it to be cool? Get ****ed. Simple as that

If you love hardcore, then sing it loud and work untill you're so good at playing it that you can make money doing what you love.

www.mp3.com/djheist

WWW.VOIDDJ.COM

Mixes, Original Tracks & Remixes, Hardcore Event/Music Reviews, Pics and more...

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.91 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page