Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Uk Hardcore and Dutch Gabber Scenes
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 4

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
ravekutz

Australia
92 posts
Posted - 2008/01/29 :  10:19:35  Show profile Send a private message
Could these two scenes be anymore different. Uk hardcore seems to embrace happiness or embrace really twised crazy energetic sounds. While the Dutch scene seems to Embrace pure anger and hardness. Uk scene loves female vocals and dancers while it's pretty much unheard of almost for any female influence in the Gabber scene.
Ones all smiley faces and the other is all skulls. Kinda strange that they are both called hardcore when they are so different.

Alert moderator
simdog

Sweden
457 posts
simdog has attended 31 events
Posted - 2008/01/29 :  11:45:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit simdog's homepage
well they arn't both called hardcore one is hardcore and the other is happy hardcore

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Smoogie
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,480 posts
Posted - 2008/01/29 :  11:58:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Smoogie's homepage
Both had better sounding stuff in the '90s imo...

simdog

Sweden
457 posts
simdog has attended 31 events
Posted - 2008/01/29 :  12:12:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit simdog's homepage
nah i much prefer the new stuff.

warped_candykid
Advanced Member

United States
3,934 posts
warped_candykid has attended 5 events
Posted - 2008/01/29 :  15:59:25  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit warped_candykid's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ravekutz:
Could these two scenes be anymore different. Uk hardcore seems to embrace happiness or embrace really twised crazy energetic sounds. While the Dutch scene seems to Embrace pure anger and hardness. Uk scene loves female vocals and dancers while it's pretty much unheard of almost for any female influence in the Gabber scene.
Ones all smiley faces and the other is all skulls. Kinda strange that they are both called hardcore when they are so different.

Dude...the Dutch was the basis for Happy Hardcore back in the early 90s! "Rainbow In The Sky", "Rainbow Islands", "Happy Generation", "Children of the Night", etc. the anthems go on and on! The Dutch/German was total cheese!!!!

tru bass
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,996 posts
tru bass has attended 11 events
Posted - 2008/01/29 :  16:51:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit tru bass's homepage
Korsakoff is a female gabber artist, she is quite a famous name aswell.

Smoogie
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,480 posts
Posted - 2008/01/29 :  19:43:46  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Smoogie's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by warped_candykid:
Dude...the Dutch was the basis for Happy Hardcore back in the early 90s! "Rainbow In The Sky", "Rainbow Islands", "Happy Generation", "Children of the Night", etc. the anthems go on and on! The Dutch/German was total cheese!!!!

Happy Gabber is some of the best stuff ever made!

GoBeserk

United Kingdom
88 posts
Posted - 2008/03/09 :  21:56:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit GoBeserk's homepage
i love the dutch scene
it has that complete 'f*** you' atitude the uk scene lacks
the uk scene is brilliant dont get me wrong we have some amazing hardcore producers
but cmon... its hardly the evilness of nosferatu, evil activites, ophidian is it...

RoyalDutch
Starting Member

Netherlands
1 post
Posted - 2018/01/04 :  23:07:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit RoyalDutch's homepage
as a born in the 90s dutch gabber i can tell you, it all started in rotterdam with the oldschool, that transvered into happy hardcore and later in to the hardcore we know today and many other styles like frenchcore, speedcore, terror hardcore, hardstyle, jumpstyle and so on, go and listen to dj paul elstak one of the founders of gabber and still making music today you will find a complete timeline and transition from the early dutch rave scene till fresh bangers of today and will understand the music and my culture even better

Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,511 posts
Posted - 2018/01/05 :  03:59:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Guest's homepage
its just a shame its not dutch gabber, its just hardcore worldwide, it is why uk hardcore is called uk hardcore or happy hardcore, they are 2 different scenes

mainstream gabber became hardcore worldwide in 2007 when nu skool kicks came along i invented with all the layering of bass frequencies from the low/mid/high - they are not just a kick with some lame distortion put ontop, its better, you can mix it better, you can do alot more with it, and it has sub bass, which all big scenes need

there are plenty of tracks with vocals in hardcore

it is also why uk hardcore is dead, and hardcore has

tomorrowland being the only festival not dedicated to hardcore... and a 1000 others and other festivals that are dedicated to hardcore

and uk hardcore has westfest

its like blud, if you make tracks or just a gangsta Dj, the netherlands are where the pro's play, just like house an ibiza

Edited by - Guest on 2018/01/05 04:12:38
DJ A.K.
Average Member

United Kingdom
217 posts
Posted - 2018/01/10 :  16:10:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ A.K.'s homepage
Yep, I wish there was still something inbetween tbh like in the ninties when we had Bouncy techno which was the best of both worlds.
I find the new dutch stuff can be too OTT and only ok in small doses while the UK stuff can be too fluffy sometimes and I just wish it would be a bit harder/darker.
Obviously there are tracks that bridge the gap and blend the styles but they aren't as common and you have to search them out.

Edited by - DJ A.K. on 2018/01/10 16:12:18
Smoogie
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,480 posts
Posted - 2018/01/10 :  21:43:44  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Smoogie's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DJ A.K.:
Yep, I wish there was still something inbetween tbh like in the ninties when we had Bouncy techno which was the best of both worlds.
I find the new dutch stuff can be too OTT and only ok in small doses while the UK stuff can be too fluffy sometimes and I just wish it would be a bit harder/darker.
Obviously there are tracks that bridge the gap and blend the styles but they aren't as common and you have to search them out.

There was some Freeform which bridged the gap slightly. You had harder kicks like the old Gabber but also the more euphoric edge borrowed from UK Hardcore. Stuff like Robbie Long, Stormtrooper, Devastate, Marc Smith ect

Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,511 posts
Posted - 2018/01/11 :  03:59:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Guest's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Smoogie:
quote:
Originally posted by DJ A.K.:

There was some Freeform which bridged the gap slightly. You had harder kicks like the old Gabber but also the more euphoric edge borrowed from UK Hardcore. Stuff like Robbie Long, Stormtrooper, Devastate, Marc Smith ect

you either are or you ain't, no chicken shit inbetween

nothing has changed, in clubs and most events, except the kick, then you get refixes to update the kick in the shops

Edited by - Guest on 2018/01/11 04:04:00
Thumpa
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,600 posts
Thumpa is verified hardcore artist Thumpa has attended 81 events
Posted - 2018/01/11 :  12:45:03  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Thumpa's homepage
Yeah there's about 45,000 people at a rave difference.

You could trace European stuff back to Belgian techno, 'We Have Arrived' and Euromasters, whereas UK rave music can be traced back to acid house, and even disco and northern soul before that. Well worth looking into where the 2 scenes overlapped, dance music history is very rich and rewarding if you want a history lesson.

DJ A.K.
Average Member

United Kingdom
217 posts
Posted - 2018/01/12 :  14:32:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ A.K.'s homepage
There is also a music snobbery in the UK where any kick drum music over 150bpm is instantly looked down upon were as in Europe its just normal and accepted.
I feel thats why some in the uk producers tone it down a bit and try to blend it with other more excepted styles.

Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,511 posts
Posted - 2018/01/13 :  03:34:56  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Guest's homepage
----

Edited by - Guest on 2018/01/13 03:40:54

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 4 pages long: 1  2  3  4
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.05 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page