Total online 1436
 Radio listeners 176+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Evolving Hardcore works. Darren Styles proves it.
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 3

Author Thread  
Vladel
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,514 posts
Posted - 2020/11/01 :  14:12:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Vladel's homepage  Reply with quote
I still buy the modern hardcore that I still like. It is made easier by the fact the gabber scene also interests me with the re-style and Korsakoff releases.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Triquatra is a site donation subscriber Triquatra has attended 26 events
Posted - 2020/11/01 :  15:13:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:

And if it's like Triq said, it's more of a devolving of hardcore, not evolving.

Nah, there's no regression there, just continuation, nothing wrong with that! :)

Archefluxx
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,112 posts
Archefluxx has attended 2 events
Posted - 2020/12/16 :  10:00:42  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Archefluxx's homepage  Reply with quote
Nothing has really changed here. DS charted in the late 00's because the radio versions of his tracks were slowed down.

Our genre is a niche because it's too fast and too frantic for most people's liking.

Having a niche genre that's successful is a bit of a juxtaposition, so it's very hard to maintain.

That said, there has always been a softening of our genre for the masses to enjoy more, and perhaps we need more of it to funnel people toward the less accessible stuff.

AWal

United States
66 posts
Posted - 2021/01/01 :  13:30:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit AWal's homepage  Reply with quote
The more I skim over these kind of threads, the more I wonder I'm the last one left playing 160s at a comfy 175 and timestretching 150 Hard Dance tracks with that solid bass lead to my liking.

Alex Threat
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
676 posts
Alex Threat has attended 3 events
Posted - 2021/01/01 :  13:43:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Alex Threat's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by AWal:
The more I skim over these kind of threads, the more I wonder I'm the last one left playing 160s at a comfy 175 and timestretching 150 Hard Dance tracks with that solid bass lead to my liking.

I'll play some 160 tracks at 176. I have done one mix of 160 / 165 bpm tracks all played at 168bpm. It actually really works for me and I didn't think I would like the slow style of mixing but the tracks are great

Sulphurik
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
954 posts
Posted - 2021/04/14 :  20:26:20  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Sulphurik's homepage  Reply with quote
The Electric Fox releases are being described as "Happy Hard" so could be known as happy hardstyle?

When UK Hardcore re-emerged again in 2002, it was referred to as UK Hardcore and Happy Hardcore was used alot less but Happy Hardcore seems to be used more commonly again?

Edited by - Sulphurik on 2021/04/14 20:27:16
LeVzi
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
944 posts
Posted - 2021/04/15 :  04:46:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit LeVzi's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sulphurik:
The Electric Fox releases are being described as "Happy Hard" so could be known as happy hardstyle?

When UK Hardcore re-emerged again in 2002, it was referred to as UK Hardcore and Happy Hardcore was used alot less but Happy Hardcore seems to be used more commonly again?

Happy Hard UK Style Core.

Anon.
Average Member

United Kingdom
169 posts
Posted - 2021/04/15 :  11:24:43  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Anon.'s homepage  Reply with quote
Styles is massively massively overrated, his tracks these days are like hot garbage.

Theres a couple of tracks where he is in collaboration with another artist where the track is good, but his own production is terrible.

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,072 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2021/04/15 :  12:59:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage  Reply with quote
But hasn't that always been one of Styles' problem. He's good at producing/putting together the tracks, but not the actual composition/writing?

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

LeVzi
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
944 posts
Posted - 2021/04/15 :  16:51:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit LeVzi's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
But hasn't that always been one of Styles' problem. He's good at producing/putting together the tracks, but not the actual composition/writing?

I think it's the other way around. Because I spoke with Force once about a track of theirs, and he said all the musical stuff was Darren, and he was more the engineer.

Styles is a musician, and really needs a good engineer, he's probably learned a lot since the F&Evolution days, working with Force, then Breeze I reckon he had someone engineer his album but he wrote all the tracks.

I'd say he's a better producer than most, but not up to the scott brown standard

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,072 posts

195 hardcore releases
Posted - 2021/04/16 :  03:02:59  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage  Reply with quote
What? I had heard that just like Dougal, Breeze couldn't engineer. it was so long ago now so i dont know where I had heard that...

LeVzi
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
944 posts
Posted - 2021/04/16 :  08:30:37  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit LeVzi's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
What? I had heard that just like Dougal, Breeze couldn't engineer. it was so long ago now so i dont know where I had heard that...

tbh anyone who produces tracks must have some idea how to engineer, even if Styles wasnt good at it back in the day, Force was, and he'd have learned a lot from that time. Breeze had been writing long before he paired with Styles I think so he must have had a good base, so 2 minds together n all that.

Dougal is a good example. And Vibes tbh, ppl who cannot engineer but can be creative.

9oh9

United Kingdom
119 posts
Posted - 2021/04/16 :  09:43:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit 9oh9's homepage  Reply with quote
Styles back in the day was more focused on the music than engineering. I guess over the years he learnt more about the production side of things, which is only natural. Definitely wouldn't say he's overrated; OK his more recent stuff may not be to your taste (or mine), but he's produced some gold standard tracks over the years, and is doing very well with his latest sound.

As for UK Hardcore vs Happy Hardcore, that was originally to draw a distinction between the 1) 90s cheese, 2) The newer/trancier early-00s stuff, and 3) What the rest of the world calls "hardcore" (i.e. gabber). For whatever reason, some artists have decided that happy hardcore is a marketable name again; I guess the younger people going to raves won't have the negative associations with the "uncool" 90s sound?

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,072 posts

195 hardcore releases
Posted - 2021/04/16 :  13:04:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage  Reply with quote
I dont think it was the sound per se that made people look down on (happy) hardcore, but the association woth heavier drugs that makes people roll their eyes time someone mentions the genre or says its a "rave" genre.

LeVzi
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
944 posts
Posted - 2021/04/17 :  06:12:01  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit LeVzi's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by 9oh9:
Styles back in the day was more focused on the music than engineering. I guess over the years he learnt more about the production side of things, which is only natural. Definitely wouldn't say he's overrated; OK his more recent stuff may not be to your taste (or mine), but he's produced some gold standard tracks over the years, and is doing very well with his latest sound.

As for UK Hardcore vs Happy Hardcore, that was originally to draw a distinction between the 1) 90s cheese, 2) The newer/trancier early-00s stuff, and 3) What the rest of the world calls "hardcore" (i.e. gabber). For whatever reason, some artists have decided that happy hardcore is a marketable name again; I guess the younger people going to raves won't have the negative associations with the "uncool" 90s sound?

That couldn't be further from the truth. UK Hardcore was the noughties version of happy hardcore , it had evolved, was it's own thing. No one said it needed to be called that so no one would think it was the same as HHC. In fact, across Europe when they hear UK Hardcore they call it Happy Hardcore. UK Hardcore is it's own thing. It's constantly drawing lines in the sand to segregate genres, that actually damages the scene. Have a giant rave, give each room a different genre, but watch people really enjoy themselves because they have a choice.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 3 pages long: 1  2  3
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.31 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page