Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 DJ Cott's Vid on homepage
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 4

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Ken Masters
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,447 posts
Posted - 2008/10/16 :  14:43:45  Show profile Send a private message View the linked resource
I thought i'd check this out as i've seen a lot of Ravine vids on youtube & really liked his style & scratching but have never really seen cotts in action. As u all know, i'm not the biggest fan of CDJ's & this vid didn't exactly sway me to the digital side.

I was just wandering if people get the same enjoyment out of seeing a dj pressing loads of buttons & turning loads of knobs just to add these skipping effects as I do out of watching someone on a set of vinyl decks Cutting & Scratching? I know that a lot of people on here are bug fans of CDJ's & respect their decisions but is it just me that finds this video sooooo boring?

Mabey im still stuck in the old ways & can't appreciate the sound of CD decks but when u see someone ruining the production of the track so that they can add these horrible skipping sounds and other effects it just doesn't do it for me.

I was wandering if anyone else feels like this or should I change my name to DJ Down with CDJ's? Let me know if this vid excitied you!

P.S. A plate of food on the record deck! A plate of food?

Alert moderator
djbuzz1021
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
715 posts

83 hardcore releases
djbuzz1021 has attended 51 events
Posted - 2008/10/16 :  14:46:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djbuzz1021's homepage
just got myself a DJM400 mixer bud, so ill be doing button pressing but cutting and scratching too on the good old black stuff.

Twisted - Reactor - 25th sep
TECHNIKORE

HTID in the sun 2011

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Torpex
Advanced Member

Poland
824 posts
Torpex has attended 5 events
Posted - 2008/10/16 :  14:54:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Torpex's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by djkenmasters:
P.S. A plate of food on the record deck! A plate of food?

In case you missed it, it was the whole point of the video.

Ken Masters
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,447 posts
Posted - 2008/10/16 :  15:10:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Ken Masters's homepage
what, the whole point of the video was to eat food & mix?? I thought it was a video to show us what DJ Cott's can do & what were missing out on? I must have misunderstood it.

Torpex
Advanced Member

Poland
824 posts
Posted - 2008/10/16 :  15:51:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Torpex's homepage
He's got other vids to show his skills, this one is for pure comedy value. ;)

danjel

Sweden
295 posts

13 hardcore releases
danjel has attended 10 events
Posted - 2008/10/16 :  16:16:50  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit danjel's homepage
I think this vid is really entertaining! :D And Cotts is really good on the CDJs and on the effects.

And yeah, I find it more entertaining looking on this then looking on someone that spins vinyl... And it also sounds much better!

Im tired of all these vinylfreaks that turns down CD-Djs. But Im glad that they are getting less...

DarrenJ
Advanced Member

Australia
2,626 posts
DarrenJ has attended 12 events
Posted - 2008/10/16 :  17:09:04  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DarrenJ's homepage
funny :D

Ken Masters
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,447 posts
Posted - 2008/10/16 :  17:31:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Ken Masters's homepage
but couldn't anyone do what he's doing? (purely for debate reasons)

Torpex
Advanced Member

Poland
824 posts
Posted - 2008/10/16 :  18:30:20  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Torpex's homepage
No, it requires knowledge, proficiency in handling all the controls, good timing and taste for what fits at a given moment. In other words - skill.

Ken Masters
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,447 posts
Posted - 2008/10/16 :  18:48:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Ken Masters's homepage
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

mj-dream
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,440 posts
mj-dream has donated money to the site
Posted - 2008/10/16 :  19:10:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit mj-dream's homepage
ravines vids on youtube are good :)

Jax
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,676 posts
Jax has donated money to the site Jax has attended 6 events
Posted - 2008/10/16 :  19:45:13  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Jax's homepage
personally i dont like lots of messing on the effects and cdj's. a little bit here and there is ok but it can get ott for me very quickly.

if the track that is being played about with sounds better with all those effects on then lots of produceres would do that sort of thing in the track him/herself

... good to watch but doesnt really enhance the music for me

bulby_g
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
7,205 posts

430 hardcore releases
bulby_g has attended 55 events
Posted - 2008/10/16 :  19:49:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit bulby_g's homepage
Personally I find watching other people mix boring full stop. :P Rather just listen or mix myself. Prefer to use vinyl but not really fussed what others use as long as they keep me interested music wise and know how to mix smoothly.

I'm not a big fan of over using effects. Less is more. I don't like it when people scratch all the way through a mix either mind. :-/

kdf
Average Member

United Kingdom
183 posts
Posted - 2008/10/16 :  20:56:37  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit kdf's homepage
i think hes pretty sick but i wouldnt like that much effects used in every mix
does anyone know the first track he plays?

Leto
Advanced Member

United States
2,849 posts
Leto has donated money to the site Leto has attended 7 events
Posted - 2008/10/17 :  01:00:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Leto's homepage
That does indeed require skill. He managed to hold the camera with one hand, mix two tracks and eat some green beans all at once.

That's pretty badass.

First track is S3RL - Artificial Energy, just came out on Executive Digital on hardbeatstore.com.

TypeR
Advanced Member

Unknown
2,633 posts

55 hardcore releases
TypeR has donated money to the site TypeR has attended 11 events
Posted - 2008/10/17 :  03:04:12  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit TypeR's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by djkenmasters:
but couldn't anyone do what he's doing? (purely for debate reasons)

um no.

you don't just press play and magic occurs and you are a superstar. they are precise instruments and it would be a waste of any djs skills to not embrace them.

if you are the wizard of technics, imagine how good you will be once you learn how to use cdj1000s.

seriously.

you have to pretty much learn how to dj all over again using them, minus the beatmatching part. that is if you can figure out how to phase them to each other.

they are difficult to learn, but the outcome is truely positive.

watching someone play on them is about as entertaining as watching someone move a black circle back and forth while moving a half inch square over a groove that is four inches long on the side of a turntable. lol.

watching someone mix is boring unless that person is actually doing something other than just standing there lol.

but anyway, once you have your beats matched and they are in time you could hold the same mix with a loop function for hours. try that with turntables.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 4 pages long: 1  2  3  4
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.95 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page