Page: 
of 5

Author Thread  
The Doc
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,718 posts
The Doc has attended 1 event
Posted - 2011/02/13 :  00:26:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The Doc's homepage  Reply with quote
I think it has a lot to do with album releases, before christmas we had a few albums coming out or due to come out ect, now there is nothing in the pipeline for ages, also on the GD forum, there isn't a major post that gets eveyones tits up ect!

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Ionosphere
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,750 posts
Ionosphere is verified hardcore artist
Posted - 2011/02/13 :  00:49:39  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Ionosphere's homepage  Reply with quote
Well.... I don't agree that updating/improving the look is necessary.

Should we compare this site to, for example, a Pub that's lost most of it's drinkers and the owners decide to 'Modernise' it to get the punters back through the door.

Who are the 'new punters' that are attracted to this 'New' pub?

They're the vacuous dick-heads that move from one 'new' place to the next and, in a fairly short while, move on to the next one.

No sense of loyalty or commitment, just selfish fun-seekers.

Do you want them here?

This is a good site. True it's not as busy as it used to be but if those who read these posts and don't bother to reply made the effort, it'd be busy enough.

I could be wrong.

This- http://www.discogs.com/artist/Ionosphere

THIS - http://soundcloud.com/ionosphere

VIDEO - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nYWkHCkaho

Edited by - Ionosphere on 2011/02/13 00:51:53
JayHH86
Advanced Member

Vietnam
1,400 posts
Posted - 2011/02/13 :  01:07:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit JayHH86's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ionosphere:
Well.... I don't agree that updating/improving the look is necessary.

Should we compare this site to, for example, a Pub that's lost most of it's drinkers and the owners decide to 'Modernise' it to get the punters back through the door.

Who are the 'new punters' that are attracted to this 'New' pub?

They're the vacuous dick-heads that move from one 'new' place to the next and, in a fairly short while, move on to the next one.

No sense of loyalty or commitment, just selfish fun-seekers.

Do you want them here?

This is a good site. True it's not as busy as it used to be but if those who read these posts and don't bother to reply made the effort, it'd be busy enough.

I could be wrong.

I know I'm relatively new around here, but that's exactly how I feel.

I like the way it looks, it's homely. I like the format, I think it's efficient and good.

I think the reader-to-comment ratio is poor, though. You see a lot of, for example, 7 replies, 59 views - or something like that. That's especially annoying when it's a track release thread. If you're gonna look, then listen - fcuking say something, give some feed back. And the same with free-track releases. A lot of people clearly download the free track and just don't say anything.

Ionosphere
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,750 posts
Posted - 2011/02/13 :  01:14:42  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Ionosphere's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by JayHH86:

I like the way it looks, it's homely. I like the format, I think it's efficient and good.

I think the reader-to-comment ratio is poor, though. You see a lot of, for example, 7 replies, 59 views - or something like that. That's especially annoying when it's a track release thread. If you're gonna look, then listen - fcuking say something, give some feed back. And the same with free-track releases. A lot of people clearly download the free track and just don't say anything.

Damn right. Too many people only interested in what's in it for them....

....oh, does that mean that the selfish, vacuous dick-heads are already here?

*edit*

and, case in point, to back-up what Jay's just said - 19 replies, 135 views (so far).

Edited by - Ionosphere on 2011/02/13 01:19:19
atomsk
Advanced Member

United States
1,660 posts
Posted - 2011/02/13 :  01:31:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit atomsk's homepage  Reply with quote
Even thought you guys say we dont need a update, I feel like we do. We still have cell padding going on here...
The colors are fine, but the layout is just old feeling. I mean like the "my home" thing has been in beta for as long as I have been on this site.

The comparison to the pub is not fully true imho.. I see it like this..

This used to be the "happing place" lots of people came in and had fun. The place started to fall apart, and many of the people have left, some of the old timers have stayed for the fun old times. After a while it has been falling apart more and more..

I think it is time for a face lift, many old members might not like that idea, but that is how the internet goes.

Old and stale = few loyal members.
New and up-to-date = more people to make the site more alive.

The only downside would be the forum hoppers that come and take shits where they want, but we have that from time to time...

So I say we should have a update.

silver
Admin

Japan
12,550 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2011/02/13 :  01:50:57  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage  Reply with quote
In terms of traffic is the site is getting more now than it did in 2004. Suggestions are great, but help in terms of programmers and designers and even in some degree donations (to pay for running it) is what the site needs. I can do all this myself, and I have been for over 10 years (paying for the site - not cheap! and designing it).... yet in saying that I can't do it all by myself.

Ionosphere
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,750 posts
Posted - 2011/02/13 :  01:57:53  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Ionosphere's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by silver:
In terms of traffic is the site is getting more now than it did in 2004.

That's what I thought but it's good to have it confirmed.

As for atomsk's comments,I stand by what I said and it's nothing to do with 'not moving with the times'.

Imo, those attracted to the 'new and shiny' don't have.... the right, erm.... depth of enthusiasm, interest, heart.... you know what I mean?

There are other Hardcore sites that have 'modernised' and I've not noticed any increase in their traffic flow.

Of course, and I'm not being unkind, you're always free to go somewhere more 'happening' and 'shinier' if that's what you want.

atomsk
Advanced Member

United States
1,660 posts
Posted - 2011/02/13 :  01:59:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit atomsk's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by silver:
In terms of traffic is the site is getting more now than it did in 2004. Suggestions are great, but help in terms of programmers and designers and even in some degree donations (to pay for running it) is what the site needs. I can do all this myself, and I have been for over 10 years (paying for the site - not cheap! and designing it).... yet in saying that I can't do it all by myself.

I know I said this when I joined years ago, but I'm learning some php and MySQL, and I'm handy around photo things.
So maybe after some time I could whip up something and see how people like it, if it works maybe we could implement it.
But sadly I cant help with the money thing.

Do we even have a mobile site?

Edit:

quote:
Originally posted by Ionosphere:
As for atomsk's comments,I stand by what I said and it's nothing to do with 'not moving with the times'.

Imo, those attracted to the 'new and shiny' don't have.... the right, erm.... depth of enthusiasm, interest, heart.... you know what I mean?

There are other Hardcore sites that have 'modernised' and I've not noticed any increase in their traffic flow.

Of course, and I'm not being unkind, you're always free to go somewhere more 'happening' and 'shinier' if that's what you want.

But you have to understand how younger people work.
Homepage = older not bright, eye catching. They wont even bother looking at the forums. Yeah some might still look, but it still helps to look a bit kept up and "shiny"

With the traffic lets look at it like this.
Bebo, was all the rage a few years back, didnt keep up with the others growing websites, now its a wasteland.
Myspace, try to keep up every month with the latest and greatest coding, shit went down hill.
Facebook, updates every six months or so, the member base is grown everyday.

If that does not make sense to you then I really dont know lol...

But it still stands that we do need some type of update, full face lift maybe not, but something to be more pleasing to newer people.

Edited by - atomsk on 2011/02/13 02:05:00
Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2011/02/13 :  02:20:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage  Reply with quote
When i said peak by the way i meant in terms of quality not quantity of members. But yeah like i said before and like the people that are agreeing are now saying, do not change anything. It works, there is nothing that can possibly be improved by changing the forum. The rest of the site possibly (though i don't think so personally), but the forum absolutely not, it's the best forum style I've used. At the end the day it's just a place to talk, i don't see how changing something that contributes absolutely nothing to that one way or the other is going to make any difference. If you really wanted to be up to date it would probably be best not to use a forum at all as they are pretty dated in terms of how methods of communication via the internet have progressed.

JustIncredible
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
599 posts
JustIncredible has attended 2 events
Posted - 2011/02/13 :  03:30:07  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit JustIncredible's homepage  Reply with quote
Even though I feel that this forum is outdated, I don't think the forum is the cause. It's the content that keeps bringing people back, something I think is lacking. I can't really speak of how this forum was back in the early days, because I simply wasn't here, but going through old topics I'll admit that the forum was better back then rather than now.

A new forum would be nice but I don't see that happening any time soon. Moving all the topics would be a hassle any way, IF you were to change I'd lock this forum and archive it and just have a fresh new forum.

I don't know what silver himself coded into this site but a lot of features is pretty much standard on newer forums (youtube, ect)

atomsk
Advanced Member

United States
1,660 posts
Posted - 2011/02/13 :  04:40:29  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit atomsk's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by JustIncredible:
I don't know what silver himself coded into this site but a lot of features is pretty much standard on newer forums (youtube, ect)

Afaik, this site is mainly Php and html, with some java here and there. The youtube thing is not that hard to include, its basically taking the iframe from the youtube embedder, and changing small parts of the code so it will show up here, as we dont have a custom player, not that much work.
Dont get me wrong, I'm glad he put it in :D (smileys lighten the mood)

As for the moving the topics, that is not hard at all. You see the url (http://www.happyhardcore.com/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=###) for the threads? Just keep that format, change the html/flash/php/jquery/ect, of the pages and bamm new look, old threads. Keep in mind, it might not be that easy if Mr.Silver changed everything by hand, then the database is basically a huge cluster****.

If we do have an update, there is a simple thing that we could have to make everyone happy.... A styles button, make it in the preference in the cp. Best of both worlds, right?

But this is just talk, if there was an implementation of a new forum, it would take a month or two to get everything made, working, debuged, so yeah... just tallk..

stray

Australia
302 posts
Posted - 2011/02/13 :  06:19:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit stray's homepage  Reply with quote
I don't know if I'm fit to comment as I've got bugger all posts (though I do feel the need to post a bit more). But I will anyways :P.

I've used a fair few forums and I'd have to agree with the guys saying quality over quantity. My favorite forum is the Nu Energy forums at the moment, and there are less than 20 regular posters, but everyone always gets along and there is always a laugh to be had in one thread or another.

The flipside of this is a gaming site I post on where there are HEAPS of members and new posts are put up that quick that by the time you read them they aren't on the 1st page anymore. These forums are rubbish, full of arguments, you can't keep up with what's going on and they are just painful. In fact the only time I go there is if I have a bad day and feel like getting in an argument.

I don't think the site needs a facelift, though I would like to see more activity on the homepage. Before recently I only really used this site to log in to my email (@happyhardcore.dj is THE coolest email address, but that's another topic) but I do see the homepage daily to log in. The problem there is, all I ever seem to see there is the radio schedule or occassionally a article about a big commercial release. Maybe a weekly wrap up of what's happening in hardcore or some mention on smaller/underground releases would make the homepage feel more active, instead of just a once a week schedule and an occasional advert for the new Clubland or HTID album.

http://www.freeformforum.net - A site for Freeform Fanatics to talk music and nonsense

latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
latininxtc has attended 5 events
Posted - 2011/02/13 :  06:53:42  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage  Reply with quote
i have to start off by saying that this site DOES NOT need to get a new logo/color palette/brighter colors, etc. wikipedia is by far the most colorless, boring-looking website. and yet, ppl still visit it on a daily basis by the millions. Why? because it has the content that ppl are looking for.

also, bright colors are a distraction and aren't easy on the eyes. yes the younglings might enjoy bright colors, but this website caters to all ages and not just the kandy-kids and the wannabe kandy kids. also, if you'd like to see what kind of crowd bright colors attract, go to USH

As far as the quality of the topics/threads/posts, I think it's better than back from the day. yea there were more ppl posting and more topics, and quite possibly a friendlier crowd, but from what i remember when 1st visiting the forums 7yrs back, most topics barely had more than a page of posts (if even half a page), and there wasn't much substance to those posts, just mostly 1-line posts that were very repetitive. of course there were members that were exception to the rules. and it just seems that ppl are now more vocal about their opinions on the quality and preference of hardcore than before, where back then it seemed like no one wanted to disagree so as to prevent an argument from starting.

What I blame the "desertment" of the site on is that we're growing up. Most of us are adults, with responsibilities, some even with families. such is the way of life. we're too preoccupied to spend 24/7 on this site, and i don't blame anyone for that. or also, our tastes in music have changed. i'm sure many have become bored of the genre or too disappointed in the direction it's taking that they've just given up and/or stopped posting on forums. you can't blame them for that either, it is in their right to do so. no one is obligated to stay here.

and i agree somewhat to the Pub comparison. you can change and modernize a pub all you want, but you'll always have a constant change of crowd no matter what.

what i do believe that this site needs is more regular updates with relevant content. i was kind of disappointed that the front page of the site never had a news story about Darwin & Fracus' Balancing Act on the day of its release, yet it had some Hard Dance Anthems album on the same day that had nothing to do with the genre that this site caters to. It was neither happy nor hardcore. if i knew more about website maintenance, i'd be more than happy the help! :)

sorry for the long post, but this topic deserves it

kathryn
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,520 posts
kathryn has attended 3 events
Posted - 2011/02/13 :  08:35:25  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit kathryn's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by djDMS:
I miss the old days!

The lack of activity is probably more related to the lack of anything to talk about than the quality of the members. There are plenty of people who are both knowledgeable and funny but it doesn't come out often enough.

Almost every thread used to be an event in itself with some VERY interesting characters taking part (older members will know the names), but now it seems that a lot of topics never get going due to either lack of interest or lack of quality......a bit like the music that's around at the minute!

kathryn
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,520 posts
kathryn has attended 3 events
Posted - 2011/02/13 :  08:36:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit kathryn's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by SPOOX:
I'm still here although i have to admit i don't come on here daily like i used too. It's due to the lack of new topics. There's not much point coming on daily in there ain't been nothing new added.

I really like the idea of a colour or design change. Give the forum a new fresh updated look. Maybe add a few new things to keep things interesting.

I really like the idea of a colour or design change. Give the forum a new fresh updated look. Maybe add a few new things to keep things interesting.

this^^^^

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 5 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.8 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page