Total online 1522
 Radio listeners 185+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 General discussion
 WHY IS ENGLAND GOING AS BRITAIN IN THE OLYMPICS?
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 5

Author Thread  
wong
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,991 posts
Posted - 2012/04/22 :  00:10:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit wong's homepage  Reply with quote
crickets crap. rugbys crap. and even in football if all home nations joined together full time to create GB, it would be full of english players anyway ( except bale ) and still struggle to qualify for the knockout stages of major tournaments.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - wong on 2012/04/22 00:11:31
Lilley
Advanced Member

Australia
3,740 posts
Lilley has attended 7 events
Posted - 2012/04/22 :  04:04:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Lilley's homepage  Reply with quote
Australia's been terrible at rugby ever since we hosted the world cup. We were rubbish before that too but somehow fluked our way to the final.

jenks
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,682 posts

19 hardcore releases
jenks has attended 1 event
Posted - 2012/04/22 :  09:51:01  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit jenks's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by kennedy:
Sounds like a tactic to beat the US in the medal tally. It's not going to happen. You'll never beat us even with your cheating of merging nations. Why don't we combine with Canada and go under the moniker North America. Because that'[s all England is doing to increase their medal list. As far as I know, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland are seperate nations and they compete seperately in the Soccer world cup.
Anyways you English can cheat and merge 4 countries as one. We'll still kick your asses like we do in every global sport. USA!!! USA!!!

I really hope this is some sort of elaborate trolling attempt, and not the painful ignorance it appears to be. "England" never enters the Olympics, Britain does. England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are all constituent states of the United Kingdom. Just like Texas or Cali are parts of the US. The reason Britain is entering a team this time is because it would be a shame for the hosting country not to field a team in their national sport, that's all. It's a one time deal. Also, the largest global sport is Football, which we "kick your ass" at, while the second largest is Cricket, which we also kick your ass at. Perhaps the reason American culture is so insular is that any peek outside would shatter your flag-waving nationalistic delusions?

Archefluxx
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,112 posts
Archefluxx has attended 2 events
Posted - 2012/04/22 :  10:33:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Archefluxx's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by wong:
crickets crap. rugbys crap. and even in football if all home nations joined together full time to create GB, it would be full of english players anyway ( except bale ) and still struggle to qualify for the knockout stages of major tournaments.

I reckon Darren Fletcher will be in there. Dare say just to be fair David Healy might sneak in and all

kennedy
Starting Member

United States
3 posts
Posted - 2012/04/22 :  12:19:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit kennedy's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Karthy:
You're better at global sports? You're shite at football (soccer)... don't follow olympics so I can't comment on that.

As for the nations grouping thing, our government is wank. If I had my way we'd be England, nothing against the scots or welsh but it's just the way it should be. Got nothing to do with giving us an advantage :|

We can't be that shit at soccer (football), we drew with England in the fifa worldcup in South Africa and were on the same amount of points as England when in the same group. And soccer is'nt even our national sport. I know it's Englands and you drew with us. How funny is that. It's a very new sport here but it's growing and we have a lot of American born players with South American heritage that can play. If you guys were that good you should have flogged us 5 nil.

Actually England have only won the fifa world cup once and it was over 40 years ago. Quite funny considering you have a premier league. And not very impressive when you look at how much money is in the sport there.

As for cricket, we've had our best baseball players trying cricket on youtube and they find it very easy. The cricket bat is actually a lot bigger than a baseball bat so the ball is much easier to hit. If we had a cricket team using our baseballers we'd probably win the world cup for cricket. Except we find cricket to easy slow and plain boring. So there is no point.

I've seen your cricket matches on cable and most of the time the stadiums are half empty. Must be a good game when only half turns up. You never get that with a major league game. We love our sport. Even have hot cheerleaders, to add to the entertainment.

Edited by - kennedy on 2012/04/22 12:26:54
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,072 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2012/04/22 :  12:36:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage  Reply with quote
cricket's the 2nd largest sport in the world? what the hell?

I'm more suprised by that, than kennedy hear trying to troll english sports on an japanese website

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

ponder

United Kingdom
109 posts
ponder is verified hardcore artist ponder has attended 5 events
Posted - 2012/04/22 :  12:57:28  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit ponder's homepage  Reply with quote
We have always competed in the Olympics as Great Britain, as that is what our nation is. Great Britain is made up of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Yes, they are countries in their own right, but they are all under the same sovereignty.

The only reason the Football team is competing as Team GB this time around is because it's being hosted here. The reason they haven't previously is because Wales and Scotland in particular are worried they may lose their identity.

As for kicking our asses in every global sport, I guess you're right. You did beat us 1-1 at the last World Cup after all.

Simon
Advanced Member

Belgium
5,001 posts
Simon has donated money to the site Simon has attended 5 events
Posted - 2012/04/22 :  13:01:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Simon's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
cricket's the 2nd largest sport in the world? what the hell?

It's true, not just Britain and most of the Commonwealth countries that play it, think of India and Pakistan. I believe last years World Cup semi-final between those two countries had viewing figures of over 1 Billion people...

jenks
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,682 posts

19 hardcore releases
jenks has attended 1 event
Posted - 2012/04/22 :  13:57:29  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit jenks's homepage  Reply with quote
I got all the way through a serious response and then noticed those cricket comments. Deary me. He's either trolling, or so painfully stupid that a reasoned argument won't work.

Archefluxx
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,112 posts
Posted - 2012/04/22 :  15:47:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Archefluxx's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by kennedy:
quote:
Originally posted by Karthy:
You're better at global sports? You're shite at football (soccer)... don't follow olympics so I can't comment on that.

As for the nations grouping thing, our government is wank. If I had my way we'd be England, nothing against the scots or welsh but it's just the way it should be. Got nothing to do with giving us an advantage :|

We can't be that shit at soccer (football), we drew with England in the fifa worldcup in South Africa and were on the same amount of points as England when in the same group. And soccer is'nt even our national sport. I know it's Englands and you drew with us. How funny is that. It's a very new sport here but it's growing and we have a lot of American born players with South American heritage that can play. If you guys were that good you should have flogged us 5 nil.

Actually England have only won the fifa world cup once and it was over 40 years ago. Quite funny considering you have a premier league. And not very impressive when you look at how much money is in the sport there.

As for cricket, we've had our best baseball players trying cricket on youtube and they find it very easy. The cricket bat is actually a lot bigger than a baseball bat so the ball is much easier to hit. If we had a cricket team using our baseballers we'd probably win the world cup for cricket. Except we find cricket to easy slow and plain boring. So there is no point.

I've seen your cricket matches on cable and most of the time the stadiums are half empty. Must be a good game when only half turns up. You never get that with a major league game. We love our sport. Even have hot cheerleaders, to add to the entertainment.

I recall Man United having a few casual pre-season tours and ripping most of your teams to bits.

England had a bad World Cup, but I'd hardly try and compare the US team to ours lol.

How is Beckham, Angel, Henry, Ljungberg, Robbie Keane, Donnovan, Keller, Abel Xavier, Tainio, Dawkins (Tottenham RESERVE player out on loan)
All Europe has-beens. Old and seeing out their career leeching off you big wages.

I cant say US players roam the Prermier League...
Granted Tim Howard, Brad Friedel and Dempsey do good jobs, but who else is there? Bocanegra hahaha

Jesus. Yep USA's class at football, alright!

Archefluxx
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,112 posts
Posted - 2012/04/22 :  15:50:59  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Archefluxx's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by ponder:
You did beat us 1-1 at the last World Cup after all.

Are you guys so butt-hurt at not winning everything?
World Cup shocker? The fact North Korea managed to score was a shocker.
Even if we lost 2-0 I cant see it being a shock knowing our team. If you actually dominated a match, then maybe we might recognise the USA as a threat haha

redwingz
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,483 posts
redwingz has attended 3 events
Posted - 2012/04/22 :  16:46:56  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit redwingz's homepage  Reply with quote
Haha I seriously hope that newspaper page is real because it sums America up for me 'Someone has to win and it has to be us'.

Yes we won the world cup 46 years ago as we were the best in the world, players like Banks, Bobby Charlton, Greaves, Stiles, Moore and Hurst, we had some of the best players in the world. Nowadays I would argue that players arent as passionate about playing for England as they were 40-50 years ago....even 20 years ago as the money and passion is more in club football than ever before.

We have come pretty close to winning 2 world cups since. USA on the otherhand have done quarter finals at best?

That day in the World Cup I knew England wouldnt win. USA were going to treat it as a World Cup final and as bragging rights to get 1 over on us. We are notoriously poor when pre-game pressure is heaped on us and when expectations are so high.

Personally I think we miss players like Gascoigne whos passion was playing for England. How many of todays players would cry on the pitch if they were to get a semi final booking to potentially miss the final?

I can cope with England not winning world cups as long as the players out there show a real passion for the country and give it everything, like the passion Pearce showed scoring that penalty in 96, Ince and Butcher with blood streaming from their heads, Gazza crying and Beckham's redemption against Argentina in 2002.......You just dont see those things from the likes of Barry, Defoe, Cole etc

http://www.trackitdown.net/recordlabel/111477/nsr-records.html

http://www.nsrrecords.co.uk

http://www.imodownload.com/NSR-Records

http://www.junodownload.com/labels/NSR

ponder

United Kingdom
109 posts
ponder is verified hardcore artist ponder has attended 5 events
Posted - 2012/04/22 :  20:07:25  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit ponder's homepage  Reply with quote
The irony is that this Kennedy fella seems to think it's funny that England should be great at football because we have the Premier League. If anything, the Premier League (sorry, I'll translate it in to American - EPL) is the reason why England have been so crap in recent years, as the players are all paid huge sums of money to play for their CLUBS, not for their COUNTRY. As such, the passion has gone from the national team, not just from the players, but largely from the support, too.

Certainly I find it difficult to show support to a team full of players who any other week I'd be berating for being utter cocks. If I'm honest, the thought of John Terry lifting the World Cup was a far more terrifying prospect than England getting knocked out.

Team GB actually kind of excites me, as we'll see a more interesting group of players, arguably more passionate, who might actually be able to play as a team, rather than a bunch of egotistical individuals.

As for the cricket thing. Yeah, anyone can smash a cricket ball against a talentless bowler. Let's see one of these baseball heroes slog a 90mph Broad yorker, or some intricate spin from Graeme Swann.

For what it's worth, I went to Yankees game once and thoroughly enjoyed it as an event, but as with a lot of American sports, it's geared more towards sitting down eating food and watching adverts than actual sport.

Warnman
Advanced Member

Germany
2,676 posts
Warnman has attended 2 events
Posted - 2012/04/22 :  22:37:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Warnman's homepage  Reply with quote
England has never won any world cup in history! Continue to celebrate the referee of 66!

"Happy Hardcore: Love it... hate it... it's fun!" (Matt Stokes)

Edited by - Warnman on 2012/04/22 22:38:17
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,072 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2012/04/23 :  07:15:41  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by redwingz:
Yes we won the world cup 46 years ago as we were the best in the world, players like Banks, Bobby Charlton, Greaves, Stiles, Moore and Hurst, we had some of the best players in the world. Nowadays I would argue that players arent as passionate about playing for England as they were 40-50 years ago....even 20 years ago as the money and passion is more in club football than ever before.

Back then player where more loyal to their clubs aswell. How many (of the great players) are that today?

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 5 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.83 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page