Total online 1499
 Radio listeners 156+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Hardcore Underground 6 - OUT NOW (Feedback)
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 14

Author Thread  
_Jay_
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,868 posts
_Jay_ has attended 41 events
Posted - 2013/12/12 :  13:56:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit _Jay_'s homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by CDJay:
C'mooon DMS!

CDJay

You're very good making Dean feel like his opinion is worth something.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2013/12/12 :  16:04:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by _Jay_:
quote:
Originally posted by CDJay:
C'mooon DMS!

CDJay

You're very good making Dean feel like his opinion is worth something.

Screw you Donovan!

CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2013/12/12 :  16:15:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage  Reply with quote
Of course it is!

(Disclaimer: as long as i agree with it)

CDJay

Edited by - CDJay on 2013/12/12 16:16:20
djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
Posted - 2013/12/12 :  17:00:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage  Reply with quote
Right, at long last here it is!

Actually, waiting a month or so to do this means this will be a 'proper' review and not a half-arsed one thrown together after one listen. (ie, OMFG DIS IZ ACE LYK)!

CD1

VERY eagerly awaited! Scott Brown needs no introduction, and i am a massive Al Storm fan. For me, he's filled the giant SB shaped hole in Hardcore over the past few years better than anybody, so the 2 of them teaming up was a dream come true.

The danger was to expect too much, and looking back i probably did. That's not necessarily a bad thing though because it's still a great mix!

Many highlights for me, some immediate, some growers.

Pretty much everything with SB or Storm involved was an instant hit with me. Those, backed up with solid tunes like Feel the friction, the always welcome F&D tunes (age not an issue when they're so good), Valley by the ever-improving Daniel, 7 ;-), and the always excellent Technikore make it a top quality mix. A few what i would call fillers on there but you can only work with what you've got and those 2 certainly did!

CD2

Well, it's Fracus & Darwin innit!

I admit to finding a lot of F&D stuff hit and miss over the years, but the trouble with setting high standards is that it's easier to be disappointed when something doesn't quite hit the mark.

If i would have written this after 1 or 2 listens i'd have been saying something like 'Hasn't grabbed me like the other mixes, could be a lot better'.

So glad i waited!

Further listens revealed much more than i heard at first. I knew the tracks were good, but didn't appreciate how good until about the 4th or 5th listen. Free from form, All night, Don't be lonely remix, nothing left to say...BIG start! Could have gone badly wrong after that but despite a few lesser tunes the momentum didn't slow down much at all. Other highlights (after neatly glossing over the mid way 'fartcore' section) Fast forward (love Entity SOOOO much), Coming back to me, Codex, This, Thoughts & smiles.....pretty much everything really!

A really, really good mix.

CD3

I badly wanted to listen to this first, but managed to hold off.

CLSM & Entity = Dream team!

The breakbeat equivalent of SB & Storm as far as i'm concerned - One legend, teamed with one massive (but criminally underrated talent), simple as that.

From start to finish, near perfection. I'm a big BBHC fan but that makes me quite picky. No worries here. A rave in my own living room! Despite having the CD, i'd pay money to hear this exact set at an event. Only gripe here, i wish there was more of Entity's productions. Let's hope there's some to come.

Best mix of the 4 by a mile for me (maybe the piano's and rave stabs appeal to old timers like me).

CD4

I was a bit worried about this one.

Nothing wrong with Thumpa & Obie's credentials - they deserve it as much as anybody, i think it was more to do with my still finding Freeform to be very inconsistent (despite the recent resurgence). Yes, the big tunes are out there, but finding them all in the same place at the same time is a big ask.

BUT, where a Freeform mix would normally have to be carried by the odd track from a legend A la Kev Energy or Sharkey, the new breed have really done the business here. Lots of new talent coming through and it's great to see them showcased here.

I really enjoyed the mix - particularly the middle third, but overall a great representation of where freeform is right now.

Still not sure yet how this compares to the other HU albums - time will tell on that one. But overall it's easily my favourite album of the year. The variety, quality and effort that have gone into it make all the HU crews sleepless nights and cold sweats well worth it!

latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
latininxtc has attended 5 events
Posted - 2013/12/12 :  17:26:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by djDMS:

Actually, waiting a month or so to do this means this will be a 'proper' review and not a half-arsed one thrown together after one listen. (ie, OMFG DIS IZ ACE LYK)!

Only gripe here, i wish there was more of Entity's productions. Let's hope there's some to come.

It was well worth the wait for that comment alone lol

quote:
Originally posted by djDMS:

Only gripe here, i wish there was more of Entity's productions. Let's hope there's some to come.

Oh, there will be.

Entity
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,329 posts
Entity is verified hardcore artist Entity has donated money to the site Entity has attended 3 events
Posted - 2013/12/12 :  21:29:59  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Entity's homepage  Reply with quote
^^^ I've had to take time out due to a plethora of reasons, but will be producing again soon. Having said that I have just crocked my hand by falling down a manhole as I was walking to my car in the dark - joy!

Also, I don't like loading mixes with my own stuff. I'd rather showcase good music from others like it used to be, heh :)

Thanks for the feedback peeps!

Edited by - Entity on 2013/12/12 21:46:43
CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2013/12/14 :  15:34:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage  Reply with quote
Cheers, dude!

CDJay

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
Posted - 2013/12/14 :  15:50:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage  Reply with quote
An absolute pleasure :-)

Entity
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,329 posts
Entity is verified hardcore artist Entity has donated money to the site Entity has attended 3 events
Posted - 2013/12/14 :  21:03:44  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Entity's homepage  Reply with quote
DMS. Love you too! Thank you for the review.

HollowRipper
Average Member

United Kingdom
155 posts
HollowRipper has attended 12 events
Posted - 2013/12/21 :  02:11:02  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit HollowRipper's homepage  Reply with quote
I know im late on this but i've just got round to listening to it. Only listened to cd 1 but holy mother of god! It is absolutely incredible! Just so many happy uplifting slammers on there.

Literally, Amazing!

latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
latininxtc has attended 5 events
Posted - 2014/01/05 :  07:23:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage  Reply with quote
Just quickly have to say how fucking massive this album is! I've spent the last 3 days listening to the whole thing nonstop! Review to come!

Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2014/01/09 :  12:43:44  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage  Reply with quote
Disc 1 was alright, second was very good, last two were decent. Can't work out if all the rave reviews on here are simply because it's a HU album.

Edited by - Elliott on 2014/01/09 13:18:12
Rodz90
Average Member

United Kingdom
208 posts
Posted - 2014/01/15 :  12:46:44  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Rodz90's homepage  Reply with quote
I have to say Thumpa & Obie, your disc is starting to be listened to more than the second, tracks like Astrid, Leap, Latika are outstanding! Good job and fantastic mix!

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
Posted - 2014/01/15 :  12:53:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elliott:
Disc 1 was alright, second was very good, last two were decent. Can't work out if all the rave reviews on here are simply because it's a HU album.

Or maybe some of us enjoy different things?

The worst thing to do would be pile false praise onto HU. It's one of the only labels where feedback is encouraged - and used to improve future products so saying everything is great when it isn't would be counter productive.

Thumpa
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,600 posts
Thumpa is verified hardcore artist Thumpa has attended 81 events
Posted - 2014/01/15 :  18:00:22  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Thumpa's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rodz90:
I have to say Thumpa & Obie, your disc is starting to be listened to more than the second, tracks like Astrid, Leap, Latika are outstanding! Good job and fantastic mix!

Thanks!

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 14 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5 ... 10  11  12  13  14
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.8 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page