Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 HH Awards 2013 Results & What They Mean
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 3

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
latininxtc has attended 5 events
Posted - 2013/12/07 :  02:48:18  Show profile Send a private message
alright so these are the winners:

Best Label- Lethal Theory
Best Album- This Is Powerstomp
Hardcore Set Of The Year- Joey Riot, Kurt & MC Mayhem @ Westfest
Best Gabber DJ- Joey Riot
Best Freeform DJ/Producer- Kutski
Best Podcast/radio show- Kutski KTRA
Best Hard Dance DJ- Kutski
Best Small/Breakthrough Event- TOWIH (not sure wtf that stands for)
Best Breakthrough MC- MC Mayhem
Best MC- MC Whizzkid
Best Breakthrough DJ- Alex Prospect
Best Breakthrough Producer- Alex Prospect
Best Producer- Darren Styles
Best DJ- Gammer
Best International DJ- Angerfist
Track Of The Year- Gareth Emery feat Christina Novelli - Concrete Angel (Darren Styles & Chris Unknown Remix)
Best Club/Nightclub- Hardcore Heaven @ o2 Bournemouth
Best Record Shop/Online Store- TrackItDown
Best Website- RavinEye
Event Of The Year- Westfest
Lifetime Achievement- Scott Brown

So, my take on this:

The majority of these *******s voting on this still don't know wtf Freeform is. I mean I could understand a bit more if Fracus & Darwin actually won again, but AFAIK Kutski hardly, if ever, plays, much less produce, freeform in any of his live sets.

Storm losing means that people are not over that ****ing mess he caused with DJ Sy, which ended up blacklisting him from most of the major events.

Even after compiling all those big names into one massive label, Futureworld still lost the Best Label award. Who knows what will happen for them next year, or what new things they could do to regain most of the lost awards from tonight.

FINALLY someone knocked off the CXH series for Best Album. They've been horrible for years and have been 2nd best to the HU albums in my opinion.

This Powerstomp movement is definitely one of the directions everyone wants UK hardcore to be taken, not the dubstep/d&b/electro stuff shoved down their throats anymore.

What's everyone else's take on it? Don't mean to double post, but seeing as how voting has been closed and the results are now coming out, I thought it would be better to start a new topic.

Alert moderator

Edited by - latininxtc on 2013/12/07 06:12:38
Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2013/12/07 :  06:30:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
If nothing else then the lifetime achievement went to the right person.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
wong
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,991 posts
Posted - 2013/12/07 :  06:36:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit wong's homepage
Jesus

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2013/12/07 :  06:37:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
Jesus doesn't deserve a lifetime award for contributing to the Hardcore scene, as he didn't.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2013/12/07 06:38:19
Shades
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,189 posts
Posted - 2013/12/07 :  06:39:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Shades's homepage
is Joey Riot, Kurt & MC Mayhem @ Westfest set available to hear online anywhere? or is it part of a tape/cd pack?

imo, best freeform.... put douglas where kutski is

TOWIH would be, The only way is hardcore? never heard of it either tbh

arpz
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,267 posts
arpz has attended 22 events
Posted - 2013/12/07 :  06:56:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit arpz's homepage
was amusing to hear trackitdown being named best retailer despite not being able to get futureworld from there :)

_Jay_
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,868 posts
_Jay_ has attended 41 events
Posted - 2013/12/07 :  07:15:40  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit _Jay_'s homepage

Yes, TOWIH is The Only Way Is Hardcore. I'm not knocking them, but they are not a "Small" event and they are not a "Breakthrough" event. They've put on more than ten events going back to the start of 2012, and the attendance for the last one going by the figure on the event page on Facebook was 1,700+. Even after you factor in the few hundred that clicked attending but didn't turn up - in what world is that a small event. As I say though - not a dig at the TOWIH guys at all - just another illustrative example of the misrepresentation at The Awards.

The Legend receiving the Lifetime Achievement Award is, as Matt says, pleasing. Has he really not won it before?

Best Label. I reeeaally don't want to bang on about this, and I know the lads are very sensible about their handling of expectations and The Awards in general - but it has to fcuking hurt not getting that best label award. It's absolutely fcuking disgusting that they didn't get it. I am so personally gutted for them it's unbelievable. Fracus & Darwin weren't even booked to play on the main stage last night either. It says it all. What a load of shit.

I'm not going anywhere near the Freeform category.

Can't really argue with the Track Of The Year. It's a good, good tune.

latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
Posted - 2013/12/07 :  07:22:56  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by arpz:
was amusing to hear trackitdown being named best retailer despite not being able to get futureworld from there :)

FALSE

You can still buy Futureworld tracks from there, you just cannot buy anything that's been released in the last few months since they've stopped making their new material available on that site. Why they decided to focus on Beatport boggles my mind. It only seems to benefit Americans the most, but at the exclusive 5-week price it's a ridiculous amount. If you're not in a rush to get the track you can wait until it's available at Audiojelly for 0.99 USD/quid/Euro.

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,083 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2013/12/07 :  07:28:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
latin: for me (or anyone outside the US/UK business zone), juno and TiD is definitly better priced than Beatport

Well some people have complained about people think Freeform is regular UK Hardcore that sounds a little different from the top tier. And when someone finally wins because he sometimes play hardcore, you complain again :P
TBH, there's alot of people to blame.
*Freeform isn't seperated enough from (UK)Hardcore to be it's own genre,
*They usually play both at the same events,
*People like me, who mixes both in the same set, and ofcourse
*People who believe Brisk & Fade is Freeform (*me glares at Quicksilver*)

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Edited by - Samination on 2013/12/07 07:37:31
latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
Posted - 2013/12/07 :  07:32:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage
Also wanted to mention that yes I know that Joey Riot & Kurt have made a large impact in the scene as of late and CDJay will come on here and praise them and that they're deserving of the award and blah blah blah, and I'm not arguing that. But I still think that Hardcore Underground is a label way more deserving of Best Hardcore Label simply because if it wasn't for them and their resources, there would be no Marc Smith Album and there would be no This Is Powerstomp.

Also Klubfiller, Sc@r, Ramos, and Chris Fear would never have a featured mix on a professionally made album unless someone from the Clubland X-Treme Hardcore series died or quit hardcore. And if that happened, Chris Unknown would be the likely replacement. Klubfiller would still be selling his home-burned mix cds for a ridiculously overpriced 10 quid.

HU has revitalized what was seen as a dying format in the UK Hardcore scene, where the quality is being dominated and even diluted because of the digital format. You will never convince me that any label is more deserving and has worked harder for everything they have gained for their own label and many big-named djs not even directly affiliated with them than Hardcore Underground, and as CDJay works tirelessly behind the scenes along with Darwin, Fracus, Al Storm, Entity, Chwhynny, and countless others, my opinion belief will never change, especially by people who voted Kutski for best freeform DJ.

Edited by - latininxtc on 2013/12/07 07:37:01
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,083 posts

195 hardcore releases
Posted - 2013/12/07 :  07:42:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by latininxtc:
Also wanted to mention that yes I know that Joey Riot & Kurt have made a large impact in the scene as of late and CDJay will come on here and praise them and that they're deserving of the award and blah blah blah, and I'm not arguing that. But I still think that Hardcore Underground is a label way more deserving of Best Hardcore Label simply because if it wasn't for them and their resources, there would be no Marc Smith Album and there would be no This Is Powerstomp.

Yea, TiP is technically a HU album

quote:
Originally posted by latininxtc:
HU has revitalized what was seen as a dying format in the UK Hardcore scene, where the quality is being dominated and even diluted because of the digital format. You will never convince me that any label is more deserving and has worked harder for everything they have gained for their own label and many big-named djs not even directly affiliated with them than Hardcore Underground, and as CDJay works tirelessly behind the scenes along with Darwin, Fracus, Al Storm, Entity, Chwhynny, and countless others, my opinion belief will never change, especially by people who voted Kutski for best freeform DJ.

I still find it funnier that Breeze didn't get nominated in any category, other than maybe the label he runs.

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,083 posts

195 hardcore releases
Posted - 2013/12/07 :  07:44:43  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by _Jay_:

Yes, TOWIH is The Only Way Is Hardcore. I'm not knocking them, but they are not a "Small" event and they are not a "Breakthrough" event. They've put on more than ten events going back to the start of 2012, and the attendance for the last one going by the figure on the event page on Facebook was 1,700+. Even after you factor in the few hundred that clicked attending but didn't turn up - in what world is that a small event. As I say though - not a dig at the TOWIH guys at all - just another illustrative example of the misrepresentation at The Awards.

If Al Storm (I believe) won Best Breakthrough Artist/DJ a few years ago, then a 2 year old concurring event can win breakthrough event aswell :P

Edited by - Samination on 2013/12/07 07:45:08
_Jay_
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,868 posts
_Jay_ has attended 41 events
Posted - 2013/12/07 :  07:52:20  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit _Jay_'s homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
If Al Storm (I believe) won Best Breakthrough Artist/DJ a few years ago, then a 2 year old concurring event can win breakthrough event aswell :P

lol, yeah, what a joke that was as well. Obviously, great that Al Storm was recognised but insulting he was considered Breakthrough.

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2013/12/07 :  08:28:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage
Nothing there that shocks or surprises me.

Mixed bag of results. Some deserved, some expected, some head-scratchingly ridiculous!!

It's back to the same old issues again. Your average raver doesn't have the same outlook as many of us here, they see names/status and nothing else. They worship Styles because OMG DARREN STYLES R BANGIN LIKE! NOT, because of their (lack of) knowledge of the 'scene'.

Facebook has turned what were already flawed awards into a spamming/begging contest. Don't wish to take anything away from some of the winners because they ARE deserved, but different awards done by different (dare i say with less of a vested interest) people would mean different results.

The drunken scotsman
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,486 posts
Posted - 2013/12/07 :  09:19:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The drunken scotsman's homepage
Hopefully Klubfiller learns that pimping yourself for votes actually makes people want to not vote for you. Pleased for Joey riot & Kurt they're on fire at the moment. Usual suspects in the best dj, MC and producer categories. Although I thought re-con might have won best producer this year. Track of the year was always going to be concrete angel, slightly disappointing that its a remix of a trance tune rather than original hardcore but that vocal is just too good to ignore.

Ken Masters
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,447 posts
Posted - 2013/12/07 :  09:58:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Ken Masters's homepage
I'm not surprised Best label & album went to the lethal theory boys, they are the kings of promotion & have been on a mission with this powerstomp movement recently, its offered something new/different & that's grabbed everyone's attention. The HU boys will have their day...

As for the Freeform result, I honestly don't blame the average voters for this. Bloody hell, we cant all agree on what makes freeform freeform nevermind some little styles fan boy trying to place a vote in a category he knows nothing about.

Its great to see Scott Brown winning the lifetime achievement award :) the amount of outstanding material that man has churned out over the years is exceptional, the scene wouldn't be what it is today without him.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 3 pages long: 1  2  3
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.88 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page