Page: 
of 5

Author Thread  
DJ Phoenix
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,554 posts
DJ Phoenix has donated money to the site
Posted - 2006/06/21 :  13:13:40  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Phoenix's homepage  Reply with quote
Sk8ism, it's quite simple:
I own all the tracks from CD1, apart from the commercial track remixes that i really do not want to hear, and as for the rest...

...I really hate Old Skool

it's good that you're passionate and all about the Old Skool, but i live for Hardcore right here and now. I look forward to new releases because it's fresh and unheard, and i enjoy playing the new Hardcore sounds.

you're saying that people might listen to the roots of our scene and then become 'Hardcore ravers' and that those people are good and ok in your book.
So does that mean because i hate the older stuff, but adore the scene we have now, including the Gabber, that i'm not the kind of person that should be associated with our scene?

Musical Expressions, One Will Make Your Body Rock!

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Sk8SiM
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,293 posts
Sk8SiM has attended 2 events
Posted - 2006/06/22 :  00:27:59  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Sk8SiM's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by djDMS:.
I WAS there right at the start and all the way through and the tunes/memories will be with me until I die.

...which is exactly why I don't need to buy it.

Great post though mate :)

YOU BASTARD!!! lol I'll envi you till the day I die (but respect you all at the same time)
Someone build me a time machine please??? Would help!!! Thanks

And yeah I understand your point now no worries...
quote:
Originally posted by [email protected]:
how olds your dad BTW? Sk8SiM! I'm an old twat that only loves my hardcore! wouldn't mind my kids playing any harcore CD in my van in the future!

haha his in his 50's... and cheers for them kind words
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Phoenix:
Sk8ism, it's quite simple:
I own all the tracks from CD1, apart from the commercial track remixes that i really do not want to hear, and as for the rest...

...I really hate Old Skool

it's good that you're passionate and all about the Old Skool, but i live for Hardcore right here and now. I look forward to new releases because it's fresh and unheard, and i enjoy playing the new Hardcore sounds.

you're saying that people might listen to the roots of our scene and then become 'Hardcore ravers' and that those people are good and ok in your book.
So does that mean because i hate the older stuff, but adore the scene we have now, including the Gabber, that i'm not the kind of person that should be associated with our scene?

not at all mate...

me myself only ever toke hardcore onboard mainstream 2 years ago... I would listen to the odd track now and then before hand... while in my shitty grunge phase... but I was always "openminded" back then if you like... most the stuff I had was fileshared (just like everything else) with artist names like "happy hardcore" ect (see my point)...

I was into my rock mostly... but I had a dance history form my upbringing and I always loved the energy in them...

I never really followed any music... I was 14-15 and I just liked what I liked... then it was depression after coming out of an 11 month loving relationship... that gave birth to my hardcore love...

It was just the words... signing about love, happiness and just making you smile and not worry about anything...
This aswell as my already fan of bagging my head to hard tunes and going wild!!! (Punk & metal) that make me fall in love with it... put 2 and 2 together ay?

Before hand when I was open minded... it was all the classic happy hardcore mostly stuff on bonkers, that I was listening to... then I came across bonkers 12... And this is what reborn me...

I then started researching to my hearts content... looking up things and finding out where it all came from... this was a first for me in ANY MUSIC!!! – Before this I was openmined and you could really call me as “not a music person… I was finding more and more out after time ofcource but I would always state that happy hardcore and the old stuff was better all becuse of just getting into it and the feeling I had for the unknown scene that I hadn't exp yet... just gave me so much pride... or back then "a arrogant c*nt" should I say...

When I was 13... a good friend of mine called ben coyne... used to come out with us skaters and rockers... and he would do a few laps round the rezza... popped on pills... singing the tunes... lol it was funny... and he knew I was into dance or should I say "openminded" so he'd let me have a listen now and then... where as everyone else mocked him for listening to it...
Lost touch with him now... but he remains one of the most down to earth people I’ve EVER met!!!

^^^^this also gave me a taste for hardcore... I was always a man of being social... and thinking of hardcore as more of a "scene" then "music"... or should I say... a "scene" powered by "music"

It was all stuff like this that made me first ever wanna download the music and see what it was all about, while still remaining openminded...

Then that one day… of that depression… hardcore lifted me up… I just toke it all on board and have LOVED ALL HARDCORE SINCE!!!
I hardly ever listen to any other music other then hardcore...

Well... there’s trance... but I’ve always been a fan of trance... these days tho... I couldn't tell you much about it... compared to hardcore...

These days it’s ALL come to such a ****ing extent...
That you'll see me in a pub bobbing my hand up and down to detect the snare or clap of some shite pop tune on... and I’d turn round and go

*thinks* "110BPM this is.... i.e. CRAP!!!"
And everyone would just look at me and think "WTF!"

HOWEVER MY LONG OVERDUE POINT!!!! (As always! )
Is that Evan if you don't like oldsool...? YOU SOULD STILL RESPECT IT!!!
You should never ever criticize it...

Just like when ben used to get mocked for listen to "happy hardcore"
If you say happy hardcore to someone... people right away think of Alton towers and think WTF!!!! - Cuse they know JACK SHITE that’s why!!!

If you turn round and go "hardcore dance" these days... people think clubland (its true!!!!)... Or you'll get the add ****er trying to dictate that there "subgenre" of music known as "hardcore punk" "hardcore emo" "posthardcore" ect ect... is HARDCORE!!!

Doesn’t matter if it was around loner then hardcore dance... fact of the matter is that HARDCORE IS A ****ING GENRE WITH ITS OWN ****ING SUBGENRES!!! - rules everything out...
(I'm doing it again, drifting away from the point and chatting shite - sorry :P)

ANYWAYS.... - if you turn round and say... ratpack... to people...
They say... yeah man sick one, used to listen to that shit at school (2-3 years ago)
And what they would call it... was "oldskool"

So what if you turn round and went... "oldskool is hardcore!!!"
The same genre as the stuff you've been slaging off for years!!!

And the best one… is when it comes to The Prodigy then the debates get REALLY fun *rubs hands*

And as I said before... you have no right slaging off oldskool or any roots to any music that you like today that came from there...

Nothing can go forward without the past!!!

Or should I say… if it wasn’t for your “sick” oldskool… I wouldn’t be listening to this CRAP!!!!

^^^Kinda spins everything around doesn’t it to all that people that say today’s scene is shite!

The thing is tho that’s scary as ****… (Get this) and the reason I love this album…

Some of the tracks on the oldskool CD… I had herd before when I was like 12 odd (I had just started skateboarding)…
As I said before… kids or should I say my brothers gen was listen to it known as “oldksool” on CD at school… and I used to love listen to some of it as it had that “breakbeat feel” or back then I would call “funky hip hop” (I was young)

And I used to skate to it… cuse I have always scene skateboarding for what it was an URBAN SPORT!!!

Anyways… to this day… intill now… them tracks… I NEVER KNEW WAS HARDCORE!!!!!!!!

Wanna know what that “funky hiphop” track was that I would skate to ;)
(Bare in mind this was well before my grunge phase and before I EVER toke any music for real)

Far Out - Sonz Of A Loop Da Loop Era

When I first started skating… I would skate to this track ^^^ day in… day out!!!

Yet never knew it was hardcore till now :D

In my eyes… it feels like I was DESTIND!!! To be a ****ing hardcore raver!!!

So… to spell this out…

BEFORE TAKING ANY MUSIC FOR REAL!!!
It was breakbeat hardcore…
Then When I was in a grunge phase but openminded… it was happy hardcore
And today… it’s HARDCORE TILL I DIE!!!

^^^^^^^^Evan tho I was never around early 90’s… I’d say that was a pretty scary or should I say F*CKED UP!!! Birth into hardcore…that I never realised intill now…

The other tracks that were on this so called oldksool cd that I recognised were

Don't Go - Awesome 3
Feel Real Good – Manix
Hurt You So - Jonny L <<< used to buzz my tits off this one!
Tell Me Why (M&M Mix) - Rachel Wallace
Let Me Be Your Fantasy - Baby D

^^^^Yep… as if one wasn’t enough there were 5 more to make that “wtf” feeling go down the back of my spine!
NEVER comes any were near the feeling I had when Far Out was mixed in… I didn’t know what to do… at first I was like “OHHHHHH TUNEEEE” then I sat back and went “errrr wtf!!!”

It wes this track that inspired my passion in skateboarding…
It was a feeling I had… I’d wake up everyday being young and where I went… evan just to the shop… I would skate there with this track playing using a TAPE PLAYER WALKMEN… that I record off the CD with out shit stero back then…

Hering this track again has brote all them memos back… I evan know what its call now aswell :D

The fact is none of this stuff on the oldksool cd was EVER RELASED COMMERCAILLY!!!

Unlike most the hardcore that me and you are into today…

So you’ll most likely find that this CD has A LOT of stuff you haven’t herd of before and you shouldn’t class all of oldksool with the same brush… most of it is very different… there’s so much variety in it… like I said… sampled!!! CLASSIC!!!

So Evan now you can’t possible say that all oldksool is crap… cuse most of it you’d be lucky to here…

And besides… I’m sure the point has already been made many times by the so called “anti nuskool” people

Hardcore was more then the music back then… it was a “genuine scene”

Keep listening to your nuskool pal nothing wrong with that…
If you don’t like oldskool then that’s fair enough… your taste… but just never knock it one bit

My point still remains tho and defo to someone in your posi (mostly just into nu-skool)

This CD is WELL WORTH £16

p.s. if you read all that *pats on back* ^^^^ I guess you can now understand why I’m so passionate about hardcore… (50,000x now I can tell ya )

Sk8SiM/Morrall Studios.

Charco
Advanced Member

Ireland
1,979 posts
Charco has attended 4 events
Posted - 2006/06/22 :  00:54:03  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
Now THAT was a post and a half. Only read it cos its stupid o'clock in th mornin and I can't sleep.

Understand exactly how you feel though sk8Sim....

Ever thought about writing a book? Seem to have a knack for big posts!!

---On a jump off topic, Go to the post by Liquid NRG- They have posted some free mixes... (One of oldskool cheese... )

Go Here: http://www.ionosphere.co.uk or here: http://www.sbthq.net . Happy? You should be!! And of course: My tunes: http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?songs=230636&T=6580

Brian K
Advanced Member

United States
8,663 posts

528 hardcore releases
Brian K has attended 5 events
Posted - 2006/06/22 :  01:17:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
quote:

yes, yes it does. turn over your headphones, you're done as a hardcore dj =P

and sk8sim, ever heard of keeping things short and to the point? =P

clarke101
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,839 posts

185 hardcore releases
Posted - 2006/06/22 :  01:21:37  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit clarke101's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian K:
quote:

and sk8sim, ever heard of keeping things short and to the point? =P

If i cant sleep im going to go through it and point out all the spelling mistakes

Charco
Advanced Member

Ireland
1,979 posts
Charco has attended 4 events
Posted - 2006/06/22 :  01:24:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
best of luck with that!!

I'll just sit back and continue listenin to the 'bagpipe anthem'. Oh what a tune indeed.

Go Here: http://www.ionosphere.co.uk or here: http://www.sbthq.net . Happy? You should be!! And of course: My tunes: http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?songs=230636&T=6580

DJ Phoenix
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,554 posts
DJ Phoenix has donated money to the site
Posted - 2006/06/22 :  14:34:50  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Phoenix's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sk8SiM:
Keep listening to your nuskool pal nothing wrong with that…
If you don’t like oldskool then that’s fair enough… your taste… but just never knock it one bit

i don't knock it bud, i just don't like it.
i was the same as you, i used to listen to 'Metal' as we called it then, lol. But before i branched out into Hardcore, i went into Trance - especially the German Trance. To this day i love Trance, and that's the main reason i got into Hardcore. It sounded just like the Trance i was listening to at the time, but it was just harder, faster, and more energetic. So really i'm just a fan of hard, fast, energetic music.
That's where the problem is for me though. Whereas you started from the beginning and worked your way to present-day Hardcore, my first Hardcore CD i heard was Bonkers 9/10, i didn't hear any of the 'Happy' or Old Skool Hardcore until much later really, and it was like taking a step backwards, it's not as fast (for the most part), it's not as hard, and it just doesn't have that edge that i love, so i never really liked it. I do give it a try now and then, and there are some tracks that i really enjoy, but they're the 'classics' mainly that everyone loves... like Eyeopener, Toytown, Party Time and Space Invader (Scott Brown RMX).

So yeah, i do respect that we have progressed from the 'Happy' era, to a degree, but i just don't like it

Oh and by the way, i wasn't digging the music before, i was digging the fact that it's another Old Skool CD, and they nearly all have the same tracks on them, which we usually lap up because we at this site have the habit of seeing ourselves as the 100% Hardcore Til We Die Elite, (which is true ) but it doesn't mean we have to buy everything everyone releases!

quote:
Originally posted by Brian K:
quote:

But...

Musical Expressions, One Will Make Your Body Rock!

Edited by - DJ Phoenix on 2006/06/22 14:36:51
bulby_g
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
7,205 posts

430 hardcore releases
bulby_g has attended 55 events
Posted - 2006/06/22 :  14:53:06  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit bulby_g's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:

The fact is none of this stuff on the oldksool cd was EVER RELASED COMMERCAILLY!!!

Do you mean at the time the vinyl's were released? Most of this stuff is available on loads of CD's.

Edited by - bulby_g on 2006/06/22 15:54:55
Sk8SiM
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,293 posts
Posted - 2006/06/22 :  19:05:07  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Sk8SiM's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by bulby_g:
quote:

Do you mean at the time the vinyl's were released? Most of this stuff is available on loads of CD's.

what i mean by commercaily is...

the oldksool has never been commercal
not alot of people knew about it...
unlike hardcore today where it has a WAY BIGGER crowd and evan the public are starting to know about it...

it may of been released on so called CD's in later years...

but there was never 1000's and 1000's and of them made to be sold to the golden market!!!

it still remained all underground

UNLIKE NOW OFCOURCE!!! haha

Sk8SiM/Morrall Studios.

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2006/06/22 :  19:44:59  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage  Reply with quote
Wasn't THAT underground - Hardcore was in the charts all the time back then!

Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Triquatra is a site donation subscriber Triquatra has attended 26 events
Posted - 2006/06/22 :  20:01:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage  Reply with quote
tons of old skool cds i can think of that were commerically released, most of my collection is old skool

just 4 u hardcore happiness (1,2,3)
hardcore heaven vol 1 - 5
fusion - the ultimate compilation (more than one i belive)
hardcore explosion..

dare i say it.....bonkers 1 and 2...

the list goes on...

Edited by - Triquatra on 2006/06/22 20:02:25
Sk8SiM
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,293 posts
Posted - 2006/06/22 :  20:18:03  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Sk8SiM's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by DjTriquatra:
tons of old skool cds i can think of that were commerically released, most of my collection is old skool

just 4 u hardcore happiness (1,2,3)
hardcore heaven vol 1 - 5
fusion - the ultimate compilation (more than one i belive)
hardcore explosion..

dare i say it.....bonkers 1 and 2...

the list goes on...

i wouldn't really call that commercail...

and i ent on about the happy phase mid 90's plus...

were talking "oldksool!"

i mean early 90's... THE SCENE!!!!
breakbeat hardcore!!!

Sk8SiM/Morrall Studios.

Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Posted - 2006/06/22 :  20:35:59  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage  Reply with quote
you've never listened to any of these cds have you?

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2006/06/22 :  21:43:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage  Reply with quote
I have - and none of them have old Skool hardcore on them.

Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Posted - 2006/06/22 :  22:05:41  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage  Reply with quote
i own them, they are chockablock with old skool breakbeat hardcore.

well bonkers 1 and 2 are a slight possible exception

from what ive seen in this thread so far we're not talking about the warehouse/acid house stuff (tekno 2/4 hero) type stuff. we're talking about old skool breakbeat hardcore...

*edit*
unless sk8sim said somthing about it in his ...novel? post? ;) which theres no way i could make it through all that...

pheonix said he hates old skool - when he said old skool i assume hes talking about the other two cds (as he said he only like cd one)..well the other cds have old skool breakbeat tracks on...

Edited by - Triquatra on 2006/06/22 22:21:00

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 5 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.42 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page