Total online 1656
 Radio listeners 153+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 Is hardcore the uncoolest it has ever been?
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 7

Author Thread  
CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2014/11/02 :  14:17:59  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage  Reply with quote
No one needs pulling on anything.

It's 100% accurate; the entire year had been focused on fan service and retention. That's not all we want to do and, frankly, if we got a bit more support industry side we would already be infinitely more effective. I have some good ideas about what is needed, but survival comes first. The infrastructure is in place, and the better that sits the more options we have. Sadly I really, really, don't think anyone else is going to do anything about it.

CDJay

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2014/11/02 :  14:21:02  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Claxton:
However, globally there is huge potential for the genre to grow where the same 'chav' stigma isn't attached to the music.

The great thing about this would be that we could then reimport our own music stigma-free because it would've gained an element of respectability from its global reach.

Ah, a guy can dream.

Edited by - Elliott on 2014/11/02 14:23:05
CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2014/11/02 :  14:25:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage  Reply with quote
Yeah, that's pretty much my current angle.

CDJay

jordesuvi

United Kingdom
143 posts
jordesuvi has attended 4 events
Posted - 2014/11/02 :  14:59:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit jordesuvi's homepage  Reply with quote
Personally, I find hardcore is actually growing within the anime side of it. As far as I'm aware conventions actually pull in pretty big crowds in America, particularly Florida.

Japan's hardcore scene, although fairly small is growing and is at least at the point where for the last few years they have imported DJ's from other countries to play events (Rhythmics, Kevin Energy, S3RL, Eufeion etc)

It's also important that we pay attention to and support newer faces in the scene. Chasers, Vau Boy, Exhilaration, etc. All whose productions get better with each release they put out. You may not like the style of music they create but since the EDM wave it's allowed dance music, including hardcore to become more versatile and creative. Five years ago I doubt many people would have even conceived the idea of a hardcore track with trap influence but over this past year I've heard several of them.

Even the newer labels such as Rusty Records and Justice Hardcore are also doing great things that are going unnoticed. IYF & Nobody have been putting out a range of releases varying from the classic melodic UK Hardcore sound to the newer more Dubcore/Hardcore Rave sound

You also should know mainstream DJ's play a lot of different genre's depending on what their field is. Bass music DJ's usually have the BPM's of their sets flying all over the place. Since hardcore can match up to the BPM of both drumstep and drum & bass we shouldn't ignore this factor and perhaps it would be worth considering for hardcore to consider taking the hands of these genres for acceptance if we're looking to seek for more popularity within our genre.

Edited by - jordesuvi on 2014/11/02 15:09:04
djchexmixer

United States
363 posts
djchexmixer has attended 1 event
Posted - 2014/11/02 :  16:26:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djchexmixer's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by CDJay:

That said, I also think the barriers of entry are relatively low even globally. I'm moderately convinced we're going to see a real surge, Stateside, where the issue was that *any* dance music was deemed confusing. I remember being in Colorado in 2001 and every single dance CD was grouped together under "techno". Fast forward to 2014 where EDM is massive and there's been dance music on endless soundtracks for films peaking in recent times.

I have been hoping for this "surge" you mention since "EDM" became popular here. But the "EDM" fade has been around for quite some time and I lost hope the "surge" for Hardcore will happen. I still want it to..

As far as the "coolness" of Hardcore, like some posts have mentioned, if you mean "coolness" in terms of popularity, at least here in the states Hardcore it has never seemed or felt popular. Had its high time perhaps late 90s early 00s. Even EDC, though new, had a Hardcore room in its early years (2001 they booked Robbie Long)

If you mean "coolness" in terms of the attitude people have towards the genre, for the most part I've had no negative reactions from people who don't listen to Hardcore. There are tracks I share with my non-Hardcore friends that they really dig. Sometimes I'm hanging out with them in the car and they have their phone connected playing random tracks, suddenly some Hardcore songs goes on, haha.

Happy Dance Fusion Vol. 2:
https://soundcloud.com/dj-cruelcore-neo/happy-dance-fusion-vol-2

djchexmixer

United States
363 posts
Posted - 2014/11/02 :  16:39:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djchexmixer's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by jordesuvi:
Personally, I find hardcore is actually growing within the anime side of it. As far as I'm aware conventions actually pull in pretty big crowds in America, particularly Florida.

Hardcore and Anime. Or perhaps particular Japanese Hardcore.

2010 SoCal Anime convention booked M-Project. Not sure if they still book any type of Hardcore for their dance events out here. I wasn't aware of the M-Project booking until after.... so unfortunately for me I did not see him play.

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2014/11/02 :  16:52:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by djchexmixer:
quote:

2010 SoCal Anime convention booked M-Project. Not sure if they still book any type of Hardcore for their dance events out here. I wasn't aware of the M-Project booking until after.... so unfortunately for me I did not see him play.

IF it wasn't for Silver & Happyhardcore.com in 2005, I would never had known about the japanese stuff until later

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Captain Triceps
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,184 posts
Posted - 2014/11/02 :  17:18:44  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Captain Triceps's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
I have been hoping for this "surge" you mention since "EDM" became popular here. But the "EDM" fade has been around for quite some time and I lost hope the "surge" for Hardcore will happen. I still want it to..

As far as the "coolness" of Hardcore, like some posts have mentioned, if you mean "coolness" in terms of popularity, at least here in the states Hardcore it has never seemed or felt popular. Had its high time perhaps late 90s early 00s. Even EDC, though new, had a Hardcore room in its early years (2001 they booked Robbie Long)

If you mean "coolness" in terms of the attitude people have towards the genre, for the most part I've had no negative reactions from people who don't listen to Hardcore. There are tracks I share with my non-Hardcore friends that they really dig. Sometimes I'm hanging out with them in the car and they have their phone connected playing random tracks, suddenly some Hardcore songs goes on, haha.

https://soundcloud.com/paulbradley1982

djchexmixer

United States
363 posts
Posted - 2014/11/02 :  17:35:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djchexmixer's homepage  Reply with quote
lol ...

latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
latininxtc has attended 5 events
Posted - 2014/11/02 :  18:25:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Triceps:
quote:

The drunken scotsman
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,486 posts
Posted - 2014/11/02 :  19:32:59  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The drunken scotsman's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Triceps:
quote:

Hahaha I can't help but read the post in a doctor evil voice now.

trippnface
Advanced Member

United States
1,654 posts
trippnface has attended 21 events
Posted - 2014/11/02 :  21:39:34  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit trippnface's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
quote:

i should beat the shit out of myself for not being there... so pissed.

trippnface
Advanced Member

United States
1,654 posts
Posted - 2014/11/02 :  21:51:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit trippnface's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:

Japan's hardcore scene, although fairly small is growing and is at least at the point where for the last few years they have imported DJ's from other countries to play events (Rhythmics, Kevin Energy, S3RL, Eufeion etc)

It's also important that we pay attention to and support newer faces in the scene. Chasers, Vau Boy, Exhilaration, etc. All whose productions get better with each release they put out. You may not like the style of music they create but since the EDM wave it's allowed dance music, including hardcore to become more versatile and creative. Five years ago I doubt many people would have even conceived the idea of a hardcore track with trap influence but over this past year I've heard several of them.

Even the newer labels such as Rusty Records and Justice Hardcore are also doing great things that are going unnoticed. IYF & Nobody have been putting out a range of releases varying from the classic melodic UK Hardcore sound to the newer more Dubcore/Hardcore Rave sound

You also should know mainstream DJ's play a lot of different genre's depending on what their field is. Bass music DJ's usually have the BPM's of their sets flying all over the place. Since hardcore can match up to the BPM of both drumstep and drum & bass we shouldn't ignore this factor and perhaps it would be worth considering for hardcore to consider taking the hands of these genres for acceptance if we're looking to seek for more popularity within our genre.

definitely agree with alot of this; tons of artists you help showcase that deserve way more exposure. and the anime/hardcore/japanese influence is definitely something i see growing. perhaps nobody would of conceived of putting trap in hardcore 5 years ago; imo because it is just a bad idea. now it is commerical enough people think they can get big off it; i see no other reason for it being in hardcore. the people that like trap in hardcore are not even close to the same people that are diehard hardcore fans; that is my experience in the US. upbeat/j-core kandi kids are not the gammer/swag/futureworld supporters. different music for different mindsets. pleases one group at the risk of ostracizing others.

i wouldnt mind one room being commercial/trap/bigroom/whatever popular hardcore ; and the other upbeat underground j core/uk/ breakbeat or something. cuz honestly mixing the 2 is not working ; they need to be differentiated; the sound & feeling is vastly different

Edited by - trippnface on 2014/11/02 21:53:33
trippnface
Advanced Member

United States
1,654 posts
Posted - 2014/11/02 :  22:11:13  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit trippnface's homepage  Reply with quote
at HTID LA fracus & darwin dropping breakbeat had the place going infinitely harder than Nobody doing some weird electroy- powerstomp set ; and gammers typical melting pot of whatever he feels like ;)

latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
latininxtc has attended 5 events
Posted - 2014/11/02 :  22:43:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage  Reply with quote
A bit disappointed I didn't make that trip. Hopefully next year I'll have my finances in order to do some real traveling again.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 7 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.39 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page