Rankin....SHOKING!!!!
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 13

Author Thread  
Jayfive

United Kingdom
108 posts
Posted - 2007/05/21 :  19:12:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leto:

I play gigs, have a radio show and record mixes in my bedroom. I buy all the music that I play. There is such a thing as a PC-DJ.

Nah.

Its a pale imitation of actual DJing. How much do you actually do and how much is done for you? You're there but theres no skill or performance involved. And the skill and performance is at least part of what DJing is about. So until you actually perform, you're not really a DJ. Just someone who plays music.

You might as well have an ipod running.

Anyway, thats my luddite-esque take on it anyway.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,083 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2007/05/21 :  20:29:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage  Reply with quote
jayfive, you're contradicting yourself.

a DJ IS someone who just plays music, where do you think it originally came from? Just because someone learned to "mix" tracks, doesnt mean all the DJ's need to do that, just to be called DJ.

Are you saying that Hixxy, or any of the top-tier DJ's who just plays their own stuff have skills? anyways, most of them use CD-DJ's now aswell.

To add myself into the topic of "pc-djs". After a while discussing what a DJ is on HHC.com's IRC channel, I came to the conclution to not call myself DjSamination anymore.

but after thinking it throu, what do I do? I mix. Live or not, I create mixes so people can listen to them. Should I call myself a producer then? Bootleger?

If this means that I'm giving Rankin some kind of credit, I'd rather do that than having you comparing me to Rankin

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Edited by - Samination on 2007/05/21 20:34:40
Jayfive

United Kingdom
108 posts
Posted - 2007/05/21 :  21:30:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Reply with quote
quote:

jayfive, you're contradicting yourself.

a DJ IS someone who just plays music, where do you think it originally came from? Just because someone learned to "mix" tracks, doesnt mean all the DJ's need to do that, just to be called DJ.

Im not referring specifically to mixing. But just *playing* music isnt all of it. Im referring generally to the element of performance and SPECIFICALLY to the people who mess about with MP3s and call themsevles DJs.

quote:
Are you saying that Hixxy, or any of the top-tier DJ's who just plays their own stuff have skills? anyways, most of them use CD-DJ's now aswell.

I dont understand what relevance that has. What have CDs and/or playing your own productions got to do with anything mentioned up to this point? DJing with CDJ has a whole range of skills in itself. Ive seen the Scratch Perverts do some awesome scratching etc tricks with CDJ's that just arent possible with vinyl.

'but after thinking it throu, what do I do? I mix. Live or not, I create mixes so people can listen to them. Should I call myself a producer then? Bootleger?'

Do you mean 'mixes' as in 20/60/90/whatever minutes of beatmatched track or 'mixes' as in what the likes of Rankin and Cammy do? Well you dont have to really 'call' yourself anything. You do what you do.

Though if what you do if the latter of the two things, what you should do if stop mucking about with other people's tracks and make yer own flippin tunes. I see more remixes being posted up on forums at the moment than I do original productions. But if you're doing these 'mixes' to sharpen you're production skills and aren't banding around the things as your own productions then you're not the same as Mr Rankin.

You're not a 'bootlegger' that for sure - thats a word that been incorrectly banded about much too much. A TRUE bootlegger in music terms is someone who creates fake versions of rare items (eg God Save The Queen by the Sex Pistols) and sells them as real. What rankin does badly and what some of you do well are just unofficial/on-spec remixes.

Its worth noting over on discogs we dont use 'bootleg', we use 'unoffical release' :)

I suppose the word bootleg sounds more exciting and dangerous :P

Edited by - Jayfive on 2007/05/21 21:35:52
Marshy88
Average Member

United Kingdom
240 posts
Posted - 2007/05/21 :  21:41:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Marshy88's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
So, why is this on the top page? I've no idea what this has to do with Hardcore.

Agreed

quote:
Rankin, scouse house, uk gaycore

all same old pish if you ask me, people who seem shocked it's happening need to give there head a shake.

All pish music for kids and mentally ill folk on too many pills, infact i prefer rankin in a lot of ways cos he makes shit tunes into comedy

Moan, Moan, Moan why do you always call uk hardcore gaycore or summit people like you piss me off mr macho gabber snob

Edited by - Marshy88 on 2007/05/21 21:43:11
Leto
Advanced Member

United States
2,849 posts
Leto has donated money to the site Leto has attended 7 events
Posted - 2007/05/21 :  22:29:46  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Leto's homepage  Reply with quote
Jayfive,

Everything I do is manual. I don't use any sync features or anything. I use a touchpad and keyboard.

And, to top it off, I've tried mixing with vinyl, and I can do it! Holy cow!

I'll continue to call myself a DJ and until you demonstrate that you have to be a turntablist to be a DJ, I'll stop.

And Rankin isn't making mixes, nor is he a PC-DJ.

That isn't to say that beatmatching tracks together is all there is to DJ'ing, I'll agree with you on that.

But a PC-DJ isn't necessarily excluded from that category. I still have control over the mix and what songs I play and any effects or anything that I put on the mixes. I also record the mixes live, so any mistakes are included in the mix.

All in all, this is a pointless argument. Go ask someone who has no concept of DJ'ing what DJ'ing is and they'll tell you that they play songs at parties.

EDIT:
Listen to DI.fm or check out my radio show to listen to my mixes if you want. You can judge whether or not I deserve to be called a DJ on that I suppose.

Edited by - Leto on 2007/05/21 22:35:18
Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Triquatra is a site donation subscriber Triquatra has attended 26 events
Posted - 2007/05/22 :  03:06:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage  Reply with quote
this is BT

he is a DJ

he is one of the highest paid american Djs

this is BT, unhooking one of the turntables from the warm up DJ.....

and hooking up his mac + midi controller!!!

omg wtf!!! :O

BT rocks.

Chris B
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,964 posts
Chris B has attended 30 events
Posted - 2007/05/22 :  08:04:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Chris B's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marshy88:

Moan, Moan, Moan why do you always call uk hardcore gaycore or summit

I refuse to call sped up dance music hardcore, and it seems to wind up fannies like you so bonus

quote:
people like you piss me off mr macho gabber snob

Jesus Christ you tit, get a life it's only an internet site ya sack

Chris B
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,964 posts
Chris B has attended 30 events
Posted - 2007/05/22 :  08:14:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Chris B's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leto:
P.S. Chris B, he's not just sampling stuff as in Exlxaxl where the Enya bit is sampled. He's playing songs by other artists badly pitched up and adding little samples randomly here and there, and instead of calling it a mix, just releases it as a song under his name, which people believe.

It's more of a moral thing that's irritating

Oh yeah i no exactly what he does, i remember before i even came on the internet he used to sell his cd's in glasgow outside 23rd and all my wee brothers mates thought he was amazing.

Basically take one standard cheesy dance, old makina or uk hardcore track then pitch it up to f*ck addin shitty out of time samples "insideinsideupsideinsidethisweighticantbearupsidedown" etc etc etc totally out of time with the music. My fav one for comedy value was one with an old makina tune "Tam Tam" with 50 cent "in the club" totally out of time and in the wrong place.

Still remember havin a party one of my wee bros pals puttin it on all of us rollin around the floor in hysterics at how bad it is.

Anyway obv it got on filesharing and loadsa people actually like that shit, as i said a lot of people like reaqlly shite music.

I do understand your point about morals in that he didnt write it was a remix but said it was his own track when he'd done nothing but add stupid shit to them.

But it just seems people only use morals when it suits them. Doesnt matter if a big name sells a track purely on stolen vocals and makes a phat wad of cash out of it, but when a stupid kid puts tracks up for free with his name on them it's suddenly out of order.

Sure i've been through it before but think of all the versions of 4am that have came out over the years. I'd bet not one of them has paid the original creator of the vocals anything and some have sold shitloads, without the vocals wouldnt have been released.

I dont care cos i like hardcore using samples from anywhere and everywhere pretty much, just dont see how morally its much worse if any worse what he's doing

djscorch
Average Member

United Kingdom
223 posts
djscorch has donated money to the site djscorch has attended 2 events
Posted - 2007/05/22 :  12:51:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djscorch's homepage  Reply with quote
Not as shocking as your spelling

boober
Starting Member

Canada
1 post
Posted - 2007/05/22 :  19:56:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit boober's homepage  Reply with quote
Dj Rankin Fu cking sucks
if you want to watch somthing good
watch Dj ravine on you tube
He knows Rankin Blows!
Hard

Meathead
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
4,217 posts
Posted - 2007/05/22 :  21:14:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Meathead's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by djscorch:

go on son hit him where it hurts.... his grammer!

"Music creates order out of chaos; for rhythm imposes unanimity upon the divergent, melody imposes continuity upon the disjointed, and harmony imposes compatibility upon the incongruous." -Sir Yehudi Menuhin

Im_British

United Kingdom
39 posts
Im_British has attended 1 event
Posted - 2007/05/22 :  22:22:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Im_British's homepage  Reply with quote
I good way to take revenge on Rankin would be to upload the hell out of this AATW track to various P2P networks and ******* sites; therefore minimizing Rankin's and AATW's profits.

Not that I would download it.

clarke101
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,839 posts

185 hardcore releases
Posted - 2007/05/22 :  22:34:42  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit clarke101's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Meathead:
quote:
Originally posted by djscorch:

go on son hit him where it hurts.... his grammer!

It's Grammar actually

Pope C XXIII
Advanced Member

United States
1,935 posts
Posted - 2007/05/22 :  22:50:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Pope C XXIII's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris B:
I refuse to call sped up dance music hardcore, and it seems to wind up fannies like you so bonus

Hey man, just chill out. (and that goes for anyone getting all pissed off about anything in this thread.) Let people define stuff how they want, and don't get all pissed about differing opinions.

Look at yourselves. A bunch of ****ing ravers getting pissed off at each other about having different opinions. What the hell happened to all the utopian dreams of the 90's? Peace, love, unity, and respect. It's not just some letters to make yourselves feel like you're not sitting on your ass and allowing the world to just keep on whatever depressing nosedive it's going into. Don't stop loving.

</rant>

Hardcore & trance inna oldskool style

NeXuS
Advanced Member

United States
1,627 posts

81 hardcore releases
NeXuS has donated money to the site NeXuS has attended 15 events
Posted - 2007/05/22 :  22:51:43  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit NeXuS's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by clarke101:
It's Grammar actually

You forgot a period.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 13 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5 ... 6  7  ... 9  10  11  12  13
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.78 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page