Printer friendly
Page: 
of 9

Author Thread  
Orbit1

Australia
400 posts
Orbit1 is verified hardcore artist Orbit1 has attended 9 events
Posted - 2007/11/24 :  14:21:01  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Orbit1's homepage  Reply with quote
Thing is, you're going on the assumption that it was B17 that sent the resist bust. Resist/React did a whole lot more than just hardcore. And being in the compilation CD business I highly doubt that they limit themselves. Infact just looking at their discogs, they did house, trance and drum and bass, hardly limiting themselves to the underground.

Problem is that there isn't much/any distribution for electronic music in the US. I went to a huge music store in LA and the electronic music section was about the size of a school desk. Everything else was indy, emo, metal, general guitar "I'm going to whine and pretend I'm a rockstar" nonense.

I went to a record store in chicago, and they had plenty of house, nice selection of trance and breaks, but no hardcore.

Fact is, there is no company to distribute hardcore in the states, cds or vinyl.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
SixFeet
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,285 posts
Posted - 2007/11/24 :  14:24:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit SixFeet's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Orbit1:
No real income for produces on the black crack, or on the digital, and the smaller peeps will be locked out of albums! what do we do?

It's always been that way. Hardcore is a niche within a small genre of music to start with. The possibility of making any proper money is abismally small. So when people get the chance to mix a CD on a major compilation they're just going to showcase as much of there own songs and labels songs as possible for advertising. Coupled with the fact that they'll stick to the same formula of making the music as to not run the risk of having a record that won't make them money you end up hearing very similar songs every album over and over.

Majority of the new interest in the music is from 15-16 year old chavs and they're surely not going to be buying the albums. I doubt many old hardcore fans are going to then be willing to shell out £15 for an album of repetitive stuff so sales are dropping.

Because of the very small profit margin in the music and peoples greed anything that doesn't fit the mold set will never get any advertisement or major play time on any commericial album ever. When was the last time on a Bonkers album you saw Hixxy wityh less than 75% Raverbaby material, or Scott Brown with less than 75% Scott Brown material?

The way hardcore is produced and advertised by the big name DJ's is very short sighted with the focus being on making as much money for themselves and **** the rest before it drops off the face of the earth again. Of course not all, just most.

So smaller producers are left to there own accord. Not being brought through, just left in obscurity to fend for themselves and try and muster up a little money through word-of-mouth advertising.

TypeR
Advanced Member

Unknown
2,633 posts

55 hardcore releases
TypeR has donated money to the site TypeR has attended 11 events
Posted - 2007/11/24 :  14:42:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit TypeR's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Thing is, you're going on the assumption that it was B17 that sent the resist bust. Resist/React did a whole lot more than just hardcore. And being in the compilation CD business I highly doubt that they limit themselves. Infact just looking at their discogs, they did house, trance and drum and bass, hardly limiting themselves to the underground.

Problem is that there isn't much/any distribution for electronic music in the US. I went to a huge music store in LA and the electronic music section was about the size of a school desk. Everything else was indy, emo, metal, general guitar "I'm going to whine and pretend I'm a rockstar" nonense.

I went to a record store in chicago, and they had plenty of house, nice selection of trance and breaks, but no hardcore.

Fact is, there is no company to distribute hardcore in the states, cds or vinyl.

So when almost half of the world wants to buy something and they can't, guess what happens to those sales figures? Nothing. You can't sell something that is not available to purchase without paying unreal fees and shipping. Toss in a month and a half of waiting on shipping and even the diehard fan will stop buying.

I do not steal music. I'd just as soon not have it. I buy it. I know I'm only one person, but that's alot more than zero people. And just because it only adds up to peanuts, those peanuts to me are a paycheck that I had to earn at a real job so that I could buy these songs and records. I'm not a dj for a job. I'm a Union Electrical Material Handler, and every cent that I earn I earned proper. If labels, producers, or fellow djs don't want those cents then they won't have it. The attitude of carrying on about, "you are only one in many" doesn't help your case. If you are a producer and that is your job, it would be within your best interests as a businessman to not discredit the peanuts that are given to you. If the current affairs are as bad as you say, then wouldn't you want to retain business rather than put it away since that business is half a world away? America may be out of sight out of mind since it's so far away and the UK is thriving with events and such, and that is good and all, but if I were in the business of selling music, I'd make pretty damn sure it was available to anyone that was willing to pay a reasonable ticket price on it.

Orbit1

Australia
400 posts
Posted - 2007/11/24 :  15:07:02  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Orbit1's homepage  Reply with quote
which is why I'm actually work on getting an album out there in the USA. I've spent most of my Saturday helping some guys out in LA the logistics of it :P

of course I know everything counts, but you dont have to get all high and mighty about it. What I'm trying to say is that because of these big companies going down, its going to severely (possibly even take down) those they relied on them.

Arguing about the potential in the USA doesnt help because while there at loads of punters, there's no method of reaching them: distribution

Yes, it is my job. And you know what most producers including myself will most likely do? Just move to more profitable projects. Don't get loving in one place, just go somewhere else.

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2007/11/24 :  16:06:04  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage  Reply with quote
Or move to Sweden, get a real job, and make music in the free time you get (usually, you only need one fcuking job here). It may take longer to make a track, but hey, look at Raverbaby, they got all the time in the world and they still dont give out shit.

(I actually ment the first statement.)

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Orbit1

Australia
400 posts
Posted - 2007/11/24 :  16:36:13  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Orbit1's homepage  Reply with quote
Or what about do what I want to, do what makes me happy? Isn't thats what its all about?

Audio X
Advanced Member

United States
670 posts

13 hardcore releases
Audio X is verified hardcore artist Audio X has attended 2 events
Posted - 2007/11/24 :  18:52:51  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Audio X's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Or what about do what I want to, do what makes me happy? Isn't thats what its all about?

Well said!

Jimmygoat
Average Member

Bahamas
225 posts
Jimmygoat is verified hardcore artist Jimmygoat has attended 1 event
Posted - 2007/11/24 :  18:56:28  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Jimmygoat's homepage  Reply with quote
Hello- read your replies, read my post carefully, it does call you a twat, but i should have made it clearer as to why,- this kind of made me mad having been hit hard by alphamagic and totall y diasgreeing with the situation:
"Once upon a time Alphamagic died, and in my mind seperated the men from the boys as far as how hard labels were going to try to keep afloat. The truly hardcore survived and weeded out the garbage. Distro has died again and hopefully it will have the same effect."

No, it kills all sorts of people. I also limited your twatyness to your thinking- not as a person, which i reinforced by called you a retard. Both of which ar slightly over the top, so if you are personally insulted then sorry- however I hope your views are challenged-
and you might accept 'how hard somebody is trying by their persistence to release things in a format you like' could be wrong.

Anyway, just to re-iterate, its to discredit your idea and not you. Dont feel I am trying to be nice to rope you into buying stuff or similar- CLSM has delivered straight to the public, bypassing promo mail outs for longer than anybody else. Stay calm, its the internet!

95_was_the_time
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,285 posts
Posted - 2007/11/25 :  01:27:20  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit 95_was_the_time's homepage  Reply with quote
why dont they just re-release bonkers 1 and 2 again seeing as that's the only good bonkers albums out of all of them.

no wonder they're bust, maybe people have been listening to me all this time and started realising how crappy the hardcore music is these days.

bring back the 1995 1996 sounds I say, **** the new stuff, it's shite.

Orbit1

Australia
400 posts
Posted - 2007/11/25 :  02:10:26  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Orbit1's homepage  Reply with quote
I swear they did release the old bonkers...Bonkers 2 - http://www.discogs.com/release/550780

The Doc
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,718 posts
The Doc has attended 1 event
Posted - 2007/11/25 :  02:19:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The Doc's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
I swear they did release the old bonkers...Bonkers 2 - http://www.discogs.com/release/550780

they get released all the time! (I own the 2003 versions) hes just a dick with nothing original to say!

Brainchild
Average Member

United Kingdom
193 posts
Posted - 2007/11/25 :  02:26:25  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Brainchild's homepage  Reply with quote
All I want to know is if it is the end of Bonkers? It's the only true happy hardcore album as far as I'm concerned. Plus it's the only one that has an original title. Not like the albums released now that use the word "Hardcore" in the title.

Audio X
Advanced Member

United States
670 posts

13 hardcore releases
Audio X is verified hardcore artist Audio X has attended 2 events
Posted - 2007/11/25 :  06:31:48  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Audio X's homepage  Reply with quote
At the end of the day, does it really matter if Bonkers ceases to exist? The series has 17 albums under its belt, which is a lot more than a lot of compilation series can say. It may be time to move on. I think the Hardcore Heaven series alongside Freeformation and Scott Brown's Hardwired series pretty much cover everything that Bonkers did, and if Hardcore Underground keeps going, we've got pretty much a full spectrum minus the KFA-esque stuff, and even it has the almighty Supaset to give it exposure.

The point is, companies go bust all the time and there's always another one lined up to take its place. It may be a little different, but the same purpose is served. We may have to accept a few changes, and hell... the punters probably won't even notice, because they don't care what goes on behind the scenes, but we will keep going.

To reiterate -- The sky is not falling.

Edited by - Audio X on 2007/11/25 06:37:15
Orbit1

Australia
400 posts
Posted - 2007/11/25 :  11:51:47  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Orbit1's homepage  Reply with quote
^^^ Hardcore Heaven being distributed by Resist.

DJ Mole
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,505 posts
DJ Mole has attended 7 events
Posted - 2007/11/25 :  13:47:01  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Mole's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:

The Bonkers CD's were the ones that sold most on Resist

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 9 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.89 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page