Thumpa / Scott Brown thing from Facebook
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 6

Author Thread  
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,511 posts
Posted - 2016/08/08 :  14:26:25  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Guest's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by DjZelous:
quote:
Originally posted by arpz:
absolute tosh. Seriously. 'jump up came along'? No, jump up has been around for a long time, it's pretty much been THE style throughout the entire lifetime of the genre.

You can't talk about vinyl sales because the game has changed now - it's all empeefrees! You're way off the mark

not really for dnb, vinyl dominates the dnb scene, almost all the releases are pressed up

i invented tekstep, i invented dubstep, i invented nu skool hardcore kicks, i know when jump up came along

this is all drum & bass was in the shops and clubs worldwide from 1997 to 2003

then london saw they're chance to take it back and pretend they aint gay with his pure shit

and it took 6 months to die worldwide and been dead since

while tekstep took over the world, hardcore died and uk hardcore was invented, hardcore carried on, then was reinvented when tekstep died, and now hardcore takes over the world

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - Guest on 2016/08/08 14:28:32
GregPeaks

United Kingdom
61 posts
Posted - 2016/08/09 :  10:33:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit GregPeaks's homepage  Reply with quote
Some amusing comments here.

Personally i feel that freeform is the strongest it has been in quite a few years. As a small scene it struggles to have producers regularly making music, and the scope to make it any way you want means that there is a lot of different sounding freeform out there, further burdening 'sceptics' and newbies.

But recently, more and more producers are reaching a high point in their quality of production. More and more albums releasing the music are being released. More and more events and gigs for DJs (like Thumpa, Cyrax etc) are taking place. This should have a positive impact on availability and buzz.

It's a massive leap forward since the days that Kevin Energy and Sharkey retired. Maybe for such an 'understudy' of hardcore to keep growing, it will take time and more hard work.

Patience being the keyword.

DJ A.K.
Average Member

United Kingdom
217 posts
Posted - 2016/08/09 :  13:31:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ A.K.'s homepage  Reply with quote
Saw this on facebook, I like Thumpa he does alot for the Freefrom scene (and he often likes my mixes ) he seems like a great bloke, maybe he could have worded his post a bit better (he probably thinks the same) and not mentioned a legend like Scott Brown (a real legend, probably the biggest name ever in hardcore), I know hes a fan of Scott so obviously wasnt anything personal.
It would be hard for most DJ's following Scott Brown especially if its a niche sound like Freeform and you arent one of the big names. I can imagine it would be disheartening but thats the life of a lot of DJ's, some of my favorite mixes only have a few likes on soundcloud, at least hes playing along side people like Scott Brown and getting bookings .
We do need DJ's playing new tracks though and experimenting, they dont always go down well with the masses but I'm glad DJ's like Thumpa are around.

GregPeaks

United Kingdom
61 posts
Posted - 2016/08/09 :  14:25:29  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit GregPeaks's homepage  Reply with quote
There's a very good saying that sums it up quite well:
"The anthems of tomorrow are the unheard tracks of today."

I spoke with Thumpa on Facebook briefly afterwards and told him not to worry, that the people who stayed would have loved it. He'll be fine! This holds true with anything - stick with what you're doing, believe in it and you can accomplish anything.

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2016/08/09 :  16:24:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage  Reply with quote
Wonder what would have happened if Scott played an hour of new freeform...

Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Triquatra is a site donation subscriber Triquatra has attended 26 events
Posted - 2016/08/09 :  17:13:43  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by djDMS:

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2016/08/09 :  19:15:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage  Reply with quote
well based on the slammin vinyl awards, just add acid lines and it's freeform :P

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
latininxtc has attended 5 events
Posted - 2016/08/09 :  22:07:01  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage  Reply with quote
Is this topic still going? Oh dear god.

Just stopped by to see what's been going on here and clearly not much.

Back to playing Pokemon Go and watching Olympic sports I go!

Elipton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,268 posts
Elipton has attended 2 events
Posted - 2016/08/10 :  05:17:50  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elipton's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by latininxtc: Olympic sports

RULE 40

Edited by - Elipton on 2016/08/10 05:19:59
latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
latininxtc has attended 5 events
Posted - 2016/08/10 :  05:47:59  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elipton:
quote:
Originally posted by latininxtc: Olympic sports

RULE 40

Is that why none of the rugby sevens athletes had their last name on their jerseys? Well that sucks.

GregPeaks

United Kingdom
61 posts
Posted - 2016/08/10 :  06:14:48  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit GregPeaks's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:

Best thing I've read all week

wong
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,991 posts
Posted - 2016/08/10 :  07:32:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit wong's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:

I would have gone for a piss, then get a drink, then gone for a shit, then get another drink, go get a burger (although i would've struggled eating it), go for another piss. Then gone and seen BK in the woods :)

DJ A.K.
Average Member

United Kingdom
217 posts
Posted - 2016/08/10 :  08:27:03  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ A.K.'s homepage  Reply with quote
quote:

Maybe its just me but I always thought alot of his stuff was (kinda) Freeform, especially in the late ninties (and even some of his newer stuff like Ultimate Form and Promise), he always seem to mix genres, Freeform, Bouncy Techno, Hard Trance, Happy Hardcore, Gabba.
I'd class stuff like Pilgrim Freeform anyway.

Edited by - DJ A.K. on 2016/08/10 08:49:25
Craigavon raver
Advanced Member

Ireland
2,207 posts
Craigavon raver has attended 1 event
Posted - 2016/10/16 :  18:28:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Craigavon raver's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
Freeform. Boring? get of your tits man

Superb tune! beast is right, absolutely destroy the place

Skidzorz

Canada
299 posts
Posted - 2016/10/17 :  03:23:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Skidzorz's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by scottyd2k9:
I prefer older freeform which had more feeling to it. It sounds too much like trance now and not like hardcore.

This .. Went back and listen to SHARKEY and Kevin Energy's disc from Bonkers 17 the other day and the sound on that CD is miles away from what's being pushed nowadays. I know some people love the super weird, "rolling", really trancey freeform, but the stuff coming out ten years ago sounded like it's own unique genre of music, not super sped up trance. That Qygen disc is cool but that album is rightfully being marketed as fast psytrance. I know that's an extreme example but I was playing a mix the other day and some freeform came on from (I believe) the Stamina crew, and they literally turned to me and said whoa, I've never heard trance this fast before

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 6 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5  6
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.48 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page