Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 DJ Ham - New album
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 14

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
arpz
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,267 posts
arpz has attended 22 events
Posted - 2016/08/16 :  14:37:23  Show profile Send a private message

What do you reckon? There's some pretty vocal points of view going on in the thread. I am 'in', it's expensive but I'm a sucker for a limited edition or exclusive.

People are saying that it's just a cash grab which I guess is true, it's not quite the 'yay ham is coming back' type feeling I would've expected from posting a thread with the subject of 'DJ Ham - New album' but it's still quite a cool thing I reckon.

Alert moderator
djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2016/08/16 :  14:46:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage
If it WAS 'Ham is back' then I'd be super excited. But I don't think it is. It's been made to sound like 'lob a load of money my way and i'll produce some new Hardcore'.

No way will i be paying ?100 for ten digital tracks (regardless of how good they are).

I can understand the need to guarantee the money up front to make it possible, but there must be easier (and less devisive) ways to do it?

Alert moderator Go to top of page
arpz
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,267 posts
arpz has attended 22 events
Posted - 2016/08/16 :  15:00:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit arpz's homepage
I reckon it'd be better to do a Kickstarter, 10 track album, 10/15 quid for physical copy, goal reached at 10k and put some special editions/signed copies etc in for higher pledge levels, job done. I've asked him why the exclusivity is important

Vladel
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,514 posts
Posted - 2016/08/16 :  16:10:04  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Vladel's homepage
I don't like paying ?10 for ten tracks unless I like at least half of them never mind 100 quid

SparkzMusic

Zimbabwe
334 posts
Posted - 2016/08/16 :  16:51:48  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit SparkzMusic's homepage
Not good at all.

1) This modern day scene has 4 or 5 different sections. There's the big name pro's for starters. Let's take Darren Styles. We know he obviously earns very nice amounts of cash and although I stopped liking his music years ago, he has been consistent and stayed with the scene throughout. He hasn't used his previously established name to cash in. He has always been established and active (force and styles, breeze and styles, darren styles, etc).

2) There's people like Fracus and Darwin, who although i'm sure make some cash, it's not the same level of big bucks. They genuinely love the music, want the scene to get bigger and bigger, and everything they are involved in reflects that.

3) Next would be the producers who have been producing for quite a long time, but have their own day jobs. They are 100% in it for the love of the music, and while from time to time they might earn a few quid for some weekend beers, all of their work is done for the love of the music.

4), 5), 6) The other sections would include fans who don't produce, newbie producers and people who are still learning.

The point i'm making, and this is no disrespect to Ham, but where does he fit in with these sections?

He was a legend of the scene who put in a lot of hard work years ago and had many label releases, but he eventually turned his back on the entire scene. Which IMO revoked his legendary status and made way for others.

He's simply using his previously established name to come back and in part make some money (as he says with still needing to be able to pay the bills). Where's his entitlement? What has he bought to the scene in the last 5 or so years? (nothing).

Especially due to sections 2) and 3) of the scene, the scene does not need him and will not pay his bills because he feels like making a bit of UK Hardcore again and only can do it for money because he had fans 10 years ago.

At the end of the day, if he want's the scene to pay his bills, he would have to contribute to the modern day scene first and show he can bring something to the table in today's market.

*I'm not telling him what he can and can't do, i'm just voicing an opinion and because of my opinion (voiced above), I would say there is no chance that even a fraction of the target number of people will pledge ?100 each*

The drunken scotsman
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,486 posts
Posted - 2016/08/16 :  16:55:56  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The drunken scotsman's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Vladel:
I don't like paying ?10 for ten tracks unless I like at least half of them never mind 100 quid

This. Imagine paying ?100 for a few tracks that turned out to be crap in your opinion. Ham was involved in many good tracks over the years, but I don't agree with this tactic. Good luck to him if it works, I'm pretty sceptical it will tbh, but what do I know.

In the words of fellow Scot Duncan Bannantyne "I'm out".

Edited by - The drunken scotsman on 2016/08/16 17:01:20
Captain Triceps
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,184 posts
Posted - 2016/08/16 :  17:56:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Captain Triceps's homepage
Yeah, there are definitely better ways to go about this. He can talk as much as he wants about the time and effort he will need to put in, we all know no-one would do it for free - but from our point of view it's still 100 sheets for ten tracks. I like exclusivity and all that as much as the next guy, but still. He did say if more then 100 people got on board then costs could come down.

But does it really take six months to produce ten tracks? If you drop everything, other music projects, gigs etc and are in the studio all the time? I'm as amateurish as it gets when it comes to producing so I don't know what's involved with the pros but I'd not have thought it would take that long to put together ten UK hardcore tracks. Sorry if I'm wrong, I just genuinely wouldn't expect it. (And as one cynic pointed out, he might well have made the tracks already - but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt!)

Maybe he could do something like the Luna-C boxset from a few years ago. Get a few other names involved for some remixes, collabs and whatnot, chuck in some goodies, jobs a good 'un.

I'd definitely love to own this but it would have to be considerably less expensive before I could really think about it.

https://soundcloud.com/paulbradley1982

trippnface
Advanced Member

United States
1,654 posts
trippnface has attended 21 events
Posted - 2016/08/16 :  18:34:10  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit trippnface's homepage
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm well ; shit

DjZelous
Advanced Member

United States
553 posts
Posted - 2016/08/16 :  20:17:03  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DjZelous's homepage
Im a huge fan of DJ Ham, i own a bunch of his old next gen vinyl, but 100 pounds, shieeeet. Something that he can do is get in contact with the Next Generation crew and pull an album together, or even on hardcore underground!

versia
Average Member

Australia
180 posts
Posted - 2016/08/17 :  01:06:56  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit versia's homepage
https://youtube.com/watch?v=vnRlskR3wuU

Vladel
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,514 posts
Posted - 2016/08/17 :  05:58:40  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Vladel's homepage
If i took my current all time top ten and lets say for arguement none of them had been released but i knew the tracks would be my top ten of all time should i own them, i'm still not sure if i could spend a 100 quid on them.

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,072 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2016/08/17 :  08:07:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by SparkzMusic:

Well it's better than the reply I got from Vinylgroover 10 years ago. When I asked him if he would ever released his old stuff digitally (well my real question was about if he was OK with people pirating his "vinyl only" happy hardcore releases). . His respons was "buy my new music".

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

silver
Admin

Japan
12,547 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2016/08/17 :  08:28:18  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
Viperstar and HU did kickstarters and both were funded, Ham should do that :)

Cyrax
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
623 posts
Cyrax has attended 9 events
Posted - 2016/08/17 :  08:49:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Cyrax's homepage
I will wait for Samination to fileshare them

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,072 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2016/08/17 :  09:50:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Cyrax:

No, that was some other blonde swede who does that :P

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

robertybob

United Kingdom
328 posts
Posted - 2016/08/17 :  10:08:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit robertybob's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
quote:
Originally posted by Cyrax:

No, that was some other blonde swede who does that :P

10 HHC.com members give Samination ?10, he buys the tracks from Ham and passes them on the 10. Simple!

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 14 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5 ... 10  11  12  13  14
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.88 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page