Page: 
of 5

Author Thread  
Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2017/02/17 :  06:29:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage  Reply with quote
Hardcore is not palatable to the general public. Too 'extreme'. In England and US etc, that is.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - Hard2Get on 2017/02/17 06:30:43
Impulse_Response
Advanced Member

United States
724 posts
Impulse_Response has attended 1 event
Posted - 2017/02/17 :  08:19:41  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Impulse_Response's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hard2Get:
Hardcore is not palatable to the general public. Too 'extreme'. In England and US etc, that is.

Definitely the case here. Anytime I hear Sirius dance radio, FM pop music, or the junk people play in the clubs, it seems like the goal is to make things as slow and boring as possible.

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2017/02/17 :  08:33:01  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Impulse_Response:
quote:

Definitely the case here. Anytime I hear Sirius dance radio, FM pop music, or the junk people play in the clubs, it seems like the goal is to make things as slow and boring as possible.

like Freeform is right now? :P

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

jordesuvi

United Kingdom
143 posts
jordesuvi has attended 4 events
Posted - 2017/02/17 :  08:45:48  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit jordesuvi's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vladel:
quote:
Originally posted by Triquatra:
well, I'm convinced, 2017 is hardcores' year for sure.

Not the way it's going. I've been through trackitdown & Juno, it's just a total pile of shit this year so far.

You're looking in the wrong places.
Most of the gems I find are usually on SoundCloud and YouTube

CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2017/02/17 :  10:28:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage  Reply with quote
I get the cynicism. I really do.

Few things to bear in mind:

- Q1 is, and nearly always has been, release light. Think back to AATW / Ministry release times. Look at when we've put projects out over the past 3 years.

- Whilst I'd be wary of calling 2017 "Hardcore's Year" (I think this is quite 2001-2002 -ey, personally) it's very different to 2015. There have been two massively well attended parties in the UK at the tail end of 2016, and even the January event was busier than the bulk of events in 2015. There's an actual influx UK side of both re-engaged and new followers.

- The HH album was essentially a proof of concept, which worked better than expected. We'd targeted a 3 month sell through on physical. We were caught out in terms of subsequent digital rollout. Our next projects will build on this. We're hoping for 1500-2000 in the medium term, and I believe 5000 is feasible with the right brand/project/release timeline.

- Using our model/platform, per track earnings on 2000 units are directly comparable to tens of thousands of units through traditional distro/vendor models. It sounds soulless, but the reality is that demonstrating that makes it far easier to license material *particularly* using the mix+singles model that I think is now going to become standard.

I totally agree with the idea that singles should also have general public friendly "edits" and indeed that is what will happen as the HH album hits other sites. For fetishists, the HU site will offer both.

We'll be rolling out some re-mastered back cat and albums to streaming vendors, but its definitely not a priority. You'd need 4 *million* plays on Spotify to match the revenue generated by the HH album as a physical release.

Gammer + Styles are doing a U.S tour imminently, and we're working on an international tour of our own for Q3. Sad to say that perception remains as, if not more, important than anything else so the more high profile things even peripherally related to the genre the better.

I think the UK scene will be doubled in terms of ravers and potentially listeners, over the next year. The sky is the limit, on the international side. I've been saying for years that making things slightly less UK dependant is necessary for the genre to thrive again and it seems that some actual effort might now be expended on that. It's also fair to say that "media" will be prioritised and hopefully done to a higher standard than ever before. This is crucial for engagement of potential new generations.

CDJay

Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Triquatra is a site donation subscriber Triquatra has attended 26 events
Posted - 2017/02/17 :  11:00:07  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by jordesuvi:
quote:
Originally posted by Vladel:
quote:
Originally posted by Triquatra:
well, I'm convinced, 2017 is hardcores' year for sure.

Not the way it's going. I've been through trackitdown & Juno, it's just a total pile of shit this year so far.

You're looking in the wrong places.
Most of the gems I find are usually on SoundCloud and YouTube

Apparently I wasn't sarcastic enough.

Captain Triceps
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,184 posts
Posted - 2017/02/17 :  11:18:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Captain Triceps's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by CDJay:
(I think this is quite 2001-2002 -ey, personally)

Wow, I remember the buzz and excitement of that time like it was yesterday - it was literally almost half my life ago.
I remember thinking it was all over when events were scrapping hardcore and there was next to nothing being released, I was buying tape packs and hearing all the same tunes repeatedly, then suddenly - boom! UK hardcore was born!

https://soundcloud.com/paulbradley1982

CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2017/02/17 :  11:28:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage  Reply with quote
The potential is certainly there for the same thing to play out. There's a baked in disadvantage, unfortunately, this time around and that is everyone rowing in different directions. Lack of scene unity and common intent are the barriers to growth, not things like accessibility (people really aren't half as scared by the music as is oft presumed).

We'll still be here if and when others decide to engage.

CDJay

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2017/02/17 :  13:00:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage  Reply with quote
As strange as it may sound, I think there's too much going on.

Too many artists, too many events, too many little groups within groups - most of which don't or won't work together.

There isnt a shortage of talent and dedicated individuals, but there is a massive surplus of hangers-on and self proclaimed big boys who really wouldn't be missed.

I, for one wouldn't be at all bothered by the 'scene' becoming much smaller and more focused before it tries to grow again.

Big branches on a small tree, or small branches on a big tree - which would you rather be?

DJ A.K.
Average Member

United Kingdom
217 posts
Posted - 2017/02/17 :  14:20:37  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ A.K.'s homepage  Reply with quote
quote:

Exactly, its too fast and hard (even the soft stuff) and if you tone it down to be more commercial, people rightly say its not hardcore. Its catch 22.
I do think there has been a trend for faster tracks in the dance scene in general (around 150bpm for some hardstyle and future house), so maybe hardcore at 170bpm wont seem as extreme now and get played more.
Hardcores main problem is we need a new big crossover artist, but there isnt enough talent coming through and when they do the politics of "the scene" usually puts them off or forces them to try their luck in another genre.
Finally the general uk music scenes reluctance to accept hardcore music and almost deny its existance never helps.

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,073 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2017/02/17 :  16:05:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage  Reply with quote
+100

quote:
Originally posted by djDMS:
As strange as it may sound, I think there's too much going on.

Too many artists, too many events, too many little groups within groups - most of which don't or won't work together.

There isnt a shortage of talent and dedicated individuals, but there is a massive surplus of hangers-on and self proclaimed big boys who really wouldn't be missed.

I, for one wouldn't be at all bothered by the 'scene' becoming much smaller and more focused before it tries to grow again.

Big branches on a small tree, or small branches on a big tree - which would you rather be?

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

trippnface
Advanced Member

United States
1,654 posts
trippnface has attended 21 events
Posted - 2017/02/17 :  20:10:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit trippnface's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
I get the cynicism. I really do.

Few things to bear in mind:

- Q1 is, and nearly always has been, release light. Think back to AATW / Ministry release times. Look at when we've put projects out over the past 3 years.

- Whilst I'd be wary of calling 2017 "Hardcore's Year" (I think this is quite 2001-2002 -ey, personally) it's very different to 2015. There have been two massively well attended parties in the UK at the tail end of 2016, and even the January event was busier than the bulk of events in 2015. There's an actual influx UK side of both re-engaged and new followers.

- The HH album was essentially a proof of concept, which worked better than expected. We'd targeted a 3 month sell through on physical. We were caught out in terms of subsequent digital rollout. Our next projects will build on this. We're hoping for 1500-2000 in the medium term, and I believe 5000 is feasible with the right brand/project/release timeline.

- Using our model/platform, per track earnings on 2000 units are directly comparable to tens of thousands of units through traditional distro/vendor models. It sounds soulless, but the reality is that demonstrating that makes it far easier to license material *particularly* using the mix+singles model that I think is now going to become standard.

I totally agree with the idea that singles should also have general public friendly "edits" and indeed that is what will happen as the HH album hits other sites. For fetishists, the HU site will offer both.

We'll be rolling out some re-mastered back cat and albums to streaming vendors, but its definitely not a priority. You'd need 4 *million* plays on Spotify to match the revenue generated by the HH album as a physical release.

Gammer + Styles are doing a U.S tour imminently, and we're working on an international tour of our own for Q3. Sad to say that perception remains as, if not more, important than anything else so the more high profile things even peripherally related to the genre the better.

I think the UK scene will be doubled in terms of ravers and potentially listeners, over the next year. The sky is the limit, on the international side. I've been saying for years that making things slightly less UK dependant is necessary for the genre to thrive again and it seems that some actual effort might now be expended on that. It's also fair to say that "media" will be prioritised and hopefully done to a higher standard than ever before. This is crucial for engagement of potential new generations.

CDJay

woot!

I will be taking a break from this epic psytrance year to attend the HU party in LA on april 7th. got another invite to the mojave; but no ****ing way i am missing the HU party!!

fkn AOS !!

and ... you brining me Entity CDJay!?! ;)

Bring Me Round To Love

United Kingdom
116 posts
Posted - 2017/02/18 :  09:23:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Bring Me Round To Love's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Triceps:
quote:

Wow, I remember the buzz and excitement of that time like it was yesterday - it was literally almost half my life ago.
I remember thinking it was all over when events were scrapping hardcore and there was next to nothing being released, I was buying tape packs and hearing all the same tunes repeatedly, then suddenly - boom! UK hardcore was born!

Agreed, those of us that stuck with Hardcore in 99 and a few more years after where awaiting a even bigger surprise for being loyal, new sound, new direction, and for me looking back and even at the time you could see it was special, a buzz in the air, the second phase maybe even better then the 90's which i would have never thought would have happened.

DJ Sketchy

United Kingdom
407 posts
DJ Sketchy is verified hardcore artist DJ Sketchy has attended 1 event
Posted - 2017/02/18 :  16:23:07  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Sketchy's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bring Me Round To Love:
quote:
quote:

Agreed, those of us that stuck with Hardcore in 99 and a few more years after where awaiting a even bigger surprise for being loyal, new sound, new direction, and for me looking back and even at the time you could see it was special, a buzz in the air, the second phase maybe even better then the 90's which i would have never thought would have happened.

Well I caught the tail end of Happy Hardcore, and loved it! I remember the days when Hardcore was struggling just after and it was in the tiny room at Camden Palace. I'll never forget a room tightly packed with about 300 ravers singing tunes back to Vibes! There was SUCH an atmosphere in that room. Then the scene quite quickly gained its ground and started developing again.

Back then though pretty much all the big boys were intertwined with it. That's not really happened this time round. Don't get me wrong, there are still quite a few big names present at the moment though. Just records were still big then, and everyone stuck to their release schedules, as people were still buying records.

Back onto the boom after Happy Hardcore with the UK Hardcore sound was just immense. I loved when I was running my coaches about once a month after about 2005, and I saw some wild, huge raves and pretty much every HTID. It was awesome! Id say I preferred the UK Hardcore peak, as I saw all of it! I loved the wild freedom I experienced at the Happy Hardcore peak though.

Bring Me Round To Love

United Kingdom
116 posts
Posted - 2017/02/18 :  21:06:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Bring Me Round To Love's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Sketchy:
quote:
Originally posted by Bring Me Round To Love:
quote:
quote:

Well I caught the tail end of Happy Hardcore, and loved it! I remember the days when Hardcore was struggling just after and it was in the tiny room at Camden Palace. I'll never forget a room tightly packed with about 300 ravers singing tunes back to Vibes! There was SUCH an atmosphere in that room. Then the scene quite quickly gained its ground and started developing again.

Back then though pretty much all the big boys were intertwined with it. That's not really happened this time round. Don't get me wrong, there are still quite a few big names present at the moment though. Just records were still big then, and everyone stuck to their release schedules, as people were still buying records.

Back onto the boom after Happy Hardcore with the UK Hardcore sound was just immense. I loved when I was running my coaches about once a month after about 2005, and I saw some wild, huge raves and pretty much every HTID. It was awesome! Id say I preferred the UK Hardcore peak, as I saw all of it! I loved the wild freedom I experienced at the Happy Hardcore peak though.

Miss those days for sure, hope your new album has some early/mid 00's influence.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 5 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.61 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page