Total online 1302
 Radio listeners 168+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 CLSM taking a step back from hardcore?...
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 6

Author Thread  
xMx

United States
94 posts
Posted - 2009/08/09 :  01:01:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit xMx's homepage  Reply with quote
What if someone aired a show on the radio featuring CLSM tracks and related stuff. Y'know, Hardscape and stuff.. I don't know, it sounds like a good idea?

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Triquatra is a site donation subscriber Triquatra has attended 26 events
Posted - 2009/08/09 :  01:06:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage  Reply with quote
i would hope its not too late to backtrack
but i would say it looks like damage has already been done..

Edited by - Triquatra on 2009/08/09 01:13:37
acidfluxxbass
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
5,000 posts
Posted - 2009/08/09 :  01:07:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit acidfluxxbass's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by xMx:
What if someone aired a show on the radio featuring CLSM tracks and related stuff. Y'know, Hardscape and stuff.. I don't know, it sounds like a good idea?

lolwut?

you can't walk onto radio 1 and just simply play a discography of clsm XD

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/archefluxxuk

xMx

United States
94 posts
Posted - 2009/08/09 :  01:09:03  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit xMx's homepage  Reply with quote
I mean, blah. Nevermind.
Well, what needs to be done then?
What can anyone do?
Is it possible to spark a renaissance?

acidfluxxbass
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
5,000 posts
Posted - 2009/08/09 :  06:26:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit acidfluxxbass's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
I mean, blah. Nevermind.
Well, what needs to be done then?
What can anyone do?
Is it possible to spark a renaissance?

yeah its possible. one skilled somebody's got to create something people like that it unique and totally different from convention hardcore..

tbh I dont think by any stretch that hardcore will do this needed movement... in 1999-2000, when the music became more trancey and less vocal based, the first transition into what we listen to today, the scene collapsed with few ravers and even fewer producers (hixxy, breeze, dougal, sy, s.brown etc) but eventually it picked up and built into how we know it today.. point is, would anyone today risk that, again?

despite us believing hardcore to be dying, its still quite fruitful... Hu3 was apparently a sucess, and AAtw are leeching what they can with their stuff (much re-released), so why would people change anything? aatw wouldn't if they're doing well... It'll just take someone to make a good sound that'll become popular enough to turn into a subgenre and take its own route to becoming the next hardcore..

else, if hardcore stys the same, it'll only a certain amount of time until people lose ideas. hopefully the progression into something new will be natural (and soon)

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/archefluxxuk

Edited by - acidfluxxbass on 2009/08/09 06:27:21
Entity
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,329 posts
Entity is verified hardcore artist Entity has donated money to the site Entity has attended 3 events
Posted - 2009/08/09 :  11:44:22  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Entity's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by acidfluxxbass:
quote:

lolwut?

you can't walk onto radio 1 and just simply play a discography of clsm XD

That would be cool... Having said that, Kutski did a CLSM mix only a few weeks ago

Edited by - Entity on 2009/08/09 11:45:32
treetherealest
Average Member

United States
151 posts
Posted - 2009/08/09 :  15:31:06  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit treetherealest's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by treetherealest:
I agree with most things said, but I will try to give another view on this situation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most of these producers make their music from their own personal studios? In that case, it really wouldn't take much money to produce tracks. Just time. I know it would be nice to make a living off of music, but I would like to think some of these hardcore producers just purely enjoy making the music and don't care what happens as long as they don't LOSE money. I personally like having actual CDs and I know it costs money to press them, but if they press the bare minimum I'm sure it would still be rather easy to get rid of those copies and make some profit. I think a problem might be getting too involved with labels and hoping for the next big club hit. ::shrug::

misguided view of the economics within hardcore...

maybe now we can quit the bitching and re-evaluate why people are leaving?

I said I agreed with what was said, but was trying to give another viewpoint. I can see both arguements as being right. You and Meathead didn't really explain your responses, except I guess I'm just too "stupid" to understand the economics of hardcore. Could one of you guys give a detailed answer why that point of view is so WRONG? I've been involved in independent music for quite a while and it doesn't seem that complicated. Could one of you guys please explain your response?

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2009/08/09 :  21:23:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage  Reply with quote
When i saw the words 'Doncaster', 'Dizstruxshon' and 'Freeform' in the same sentence i knew there would be a problem.

It's criminal what's STILL happening in Hardcore.

Meathead
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
4,217 posts
Posted - 2009/08/09 :  22:23:06  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Meathead's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
quote:
quote:
I agree with most things said, but I will try to give another view on this situation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most of these producers make their music from their own personal studios? In that case, it really wouldn't take much money to produce tracks. Just time. I know it would be nice to make a living off of music, but I would like to think some of these hardcore producers just purely enjoy making the music and don't care what happens as long as they don't LOSE money. I personally like having actual CDs and I know it costs money to press them, but if they press the bare minimum I'm sure it would still be rather easy to get rid of those copies and make some profit. I think a problem might be getting too involved with labels and hoping for the next big club hit. ::shrug::

I said I agreed with what was said, but was trying to give another viewpoint. I can see both arguements as being right. You and Meathead didn't really explain your responses, except I guess I'm just too "stupid" to understand the economics of hardcore. Could one of you guys give a detailed answer why that point of view is so WRONG? I've been involved in independent music for quite a while and it doesn't seem that complicated. Could one of you guys please explain your response?

Not too stupid, just naive. It's not as simple as you think. It costs a lot of; money, time, commintment and plenty of kicks to the balls (depending on which side you take Commercial or Underground). You do not understand the economics of Hardcore, the ins and outs of the industry, nor do i, but it's not quite as simple as you think.

"Music creates order out of chaos; for rhythm imposes unanimity upon the divergent, melody imposes continuity upon the disjointed, and harmony imposes compatibility upon the incongruous." -Sir Yehudi Menuhin

djbood
Average Member

United Kingdom
249 posts
djbood has attended 1 event
Posted - 2009/08/09 :  23:15:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djbood's homepage  Reply with quote
jon will be a huge miss but am sure this isn't the last we will see of him hardcore wise...its in his blood!

I dont think blaming 'chavs' is right either. Every style of music evolves and it looks like Jon has decided to do something different in this moment of time, there isnt anything wrong with that, just a shame we will be hearing less from him hardcore wise. Imo all styles of hardcore are amazing and all provide different vibes from clubland to the more progressive sound of clsm's stuff.

Looking forward to all future hardcore albums to come and lets hope clsm and scott brown are amongst there which i'm sure they will be! :)

Clunge

treetherealest
Average Member

United States
151 posts
Posted - 2009/08/09 :  23:35:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit treetherealest's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Meathead:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not too stupid, just naive. It's not as simple as you think. It costs a lot of; money, time, commintment and plenty of kicks to the balls (depending on which side you take Commercial or Underground). You do not understand the economics of Hardcore, the ins and outs of the industry, nor do i, but it's not quite as simple as you think.

Well, I know the "industry" is a pretty tough place. However, why be a part of of it? I remember hearing something about music being compared to bottled water. Why do we need labels to bottle up our hardcore for us, when we can go to the river and get it ourselves without their help? It sounds like the politics of the industry are what is killing hardcore, so maybe it should remove itself from it. I know for you guys over in the U.K. that hardcore is not just music, it can also be an experience. Going out to clubs and hearing it and feeling it, but over here in the U.S. it's extremely rare to find any place that plays hardcore, so I'm just used to just loving the music.

Meathead
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
4,217 posts
Posted - 2009/08/10 :  00:11:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Meathead's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Well, I know the "industry" is a pretty tough place. However, why be a part of of it?

That's basically the point of this thread and what CLSM is doing.

quote:
It sounds like the politics of the industry are what is killing hardcore, so maybe it should remove itself from it.

Correct! You now have a clearer understanding of what Hardcore has become.

"Music creates order out of chaos; for rhythm imposes unanimity upon the divergent, melody imposes continuity upon the disjointed, and harmony imposes compatibility upon the incongruous." -Sir Yehudi Menuhin

Edited by - Meathead on 2009/08/10 00:12:09
djbood
Average Member

United Kingdom
249 posts
djbood has attended 1 event
Posted - 2009/08/10 :  01:02:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djbood's homepage  Reply with quote
too much negativity in these forums, take some of the unbelievable atmosphere from the hardcore raves n boast about it man!!! clsm wud want it this way haha

Clunge

Leroy
Starting Member

Australia
3 posts
Posted - 2009/08/23 :  11:34:41  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Leroy's homepage  Reply with quote
I've browsed these pages for a couple of years now, but this thread has finally convinced me to join.

I first became interested in hardcore when I saw Dougal in Australia about 3.5 yrs ago. I had no comprehension of hardcore before this and was blown away at the speed and the general euphoria associated with it. Before too long, I'd researched the scene enough to know where it came from, who the major players were, and had started buying the odd compilation to support those players.

Herein lies the problem, though... those players (when hardcore was arguably at its best, 2002-2006) largely consisted of the Dougals, Scott Browns, Hixxys, Brisks and Sharkeys. Fast forward to now and (with the exception of Sharkey) all those big names are now pumping out formulaic tune after tune - offbeat bass stabs with female vocals. It seems they have been doing it for so long, that they ran out of ideas and turned to pop music to make their money...

Meathead is correct when he says hardcore is as popular as it ever way - but thats because the tunes have all become that formula I just mentioned. How many hardcore remixes of September's "Cry for you" were released? A disturbing amount. Did any of you see Hixxy's disc on the new Bonkers... how lazy.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of hardcore producers are not musically trained, and as such, stuck for so long to mimicking the big guys. The old guys have been there for so long now, they have a monopoly on the market - anything else will always be viewed as imitation crap.

Furthermore, the labels are aware of this - hence why the old guys all still have record contracts. The few that have dared to buck this trend (our beloved CLSM, for instance) have nowhere to go...

... (@ treetherealest)... which is why it is not worth it for independent producers to continue. Why bother making music at the expense of a higher paying full time job, when the only thing that may remotely pay the bills is fighting the old boys club to make more of the crap in the current scene?

treetherealest
Average Member

United States
151 posts
Posted - 2009/08/23 :  17:13:13  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit treetherealest's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leroy:
... (@ treetherealest)... which is why it is not worth it for independent producers to continue. Why bother making music at the expense of a higher paying full time job, when the only thing that may remotely pay the bills is fighting the old boys club to make more of the crap in the current scene?

I think everything you said is on point. However, some people make music NOT to pay the bills, but because they enjoy making music. It would be a PLUS to pay the bills with music, but for some people it's just in their blood. Even if it isn't their major source of income, they will still continue to make music on their own terms.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 6 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5  6
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.34 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page