Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - hardcore
 I dont get it.
 Printer friendly
Page: 
of 5

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
DjZelous
Advanced Member

United States
553 posts
Posted - 2017/02/13 :  23:03:44  Show profile Send a private message
How come hardcore has not had a proper take off, Out of all the harder styles, hardcore is the one that its climax was VERY short lived, i assume it was in the raver baby days, when Darren Styles skydivin sold a shit ton of copies. Most hardcore tunes are very well produced, And have a great sound but i cant figure out why it does not play at festivals or big parties. Here in miami, hard dance does not exist, but every so often ill hear a Drum n Bass tune on the biggest EDM fm station we have. not once do i hear a hardcore tune. any time i play at a house party i always drop at least one hardcore tune and people go INSANE, Every time! Will we ever see a tune that did what Martin Garrix Animals did? A song off an exclusive electro house label (Spinnin') that made it onto the top 10 and got regular airplay.

Just my thoughts

Alert moderator
silver
Admin

Japan
12,548 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2017/02/13 :  23:12:30  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
Sounds like you should throw your own parties :)

Alert moderator Go to top of page
DJ Sketchy

United Kingdom
407 posts
DJ Sketchy is verified hardcore artist DJ Sketchy has attended 1 event
Posted - 2017/02/14 :  00:36:39  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Sketchy's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DjZelous:
How come hardcore has not had a proper take off, Out of all the harder styles, hardcore is the one that its climax was VERY short lived, i assume it was in the raver baby days, when Darren Styles skydivin sold a shit ton of copies. Most hardcore tunes are very well produced, And have a great sound but i cant figure out why it does not play at festivals or big parties. Here in miami, hard dance does not exist, but every so often ill hear a Drum n Bass tune on the biggest EDM fm station we have. not once do i hear a hardcore tune. any time i play at a house party i always drop at least one hardcore tune and people go INSANE, Every time! Will we ever see a tune that did what Martin Garrix Animals did? A song off an exclusive electro house label (Spinnin') that made it onto the top 10 and got regular airplay.

Just my thoughts

I suppose you could say the Hardcore scene has had 3 peaks (correct me if I'm wrong). You have the original sound which was the all encompassing 'rave' music. Then the scene split, and Happy Hardcore was created (I heard the name 'Happy Hardcore' was actually a diss from the Drum & Bass ravers). Then you have the most recent peak, with your Raverbaby, Evolution, Quosh etc.

The rise of Hardcore in America shouldn't really come as a shock. As the music's solid. It just took the rise of EDM to give Hardcore music the proper opportunity.

Unfortunately, the UK Hardcore scene is struggling. It's more recently on the mend, however. With the rise of new artists such a Klubfiller, Fracus & Darwin, Mob etc. Just the scene needs a new BOOM for it to get its footing back. Hopefully those days will come again. Events such as HTID, Ravers Reunited, and the Clubland Weekender should help put Hardcore back on the map again.

Personally, I see Hardcore's rise to another peak as maybe a slow one. It could be 5-10 years before we see the likes of the peak during the Raverbaby Days.

Support from music industry dons All Around The World will help Hardcore maintain it's requirement for decent vocals I feel. Also they have the Clubland Xtreme Hardcore brand, to re-launch sometime in the future once the scene finds its footing again.

I feel the scene is on its way to recovery after losing some of its main labels and producers. Just the fall of vinyl has left a major hole in the producers pockets. If there is no money in producing, then some people just won't make the effort. If there are no new singles, then the scene doesn't move forward and develop.

It requires people to invest in the music and produce Hardcore music irrelevant of making money from all the invested effort. Which is a big ask!

I am currently writing a DJ Sketchy, Hardcore artist album with Matt from the Organ Donors, and its sounding awesome! It's gonna be another year until its fully completed though. I am writing this album at a financial expense which might not be recovered fully by the album and single sales. It will put 10 banging tracks into circulation though, so that's all positive. All the tracks will be based off ideas I write privately. Once the album is finished, I will have a small break, then we will commence on album 2 :)

CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2017/02/14 :  02:12:06  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage
First of all, I'm far from convinced "boom" is a model we want (given that bust is a close companion).

Prior spikes have been based entirely on a grassroots swell, capitalised on by corporations. It's surprising we dodged the global, and certainly NA, boom but I have a fair appraisal.

The roots of the genre are actually quite solid, but we had "growing pains" in the 90 and 00s. Not taken seriously, and ironically held in better stead retrospectively.

The only way we'll get taken seriously is if we take ourselves seriously, and it saddens me to say that the best way to get "big" in hardcore is to succeed once you've given up on it. Our scene seems almost ashamed of itself and its roots, which isn't a way to attract a potential suitor.

D&B exists largely outside of the commercial sphere, but has a radio station on Forza Horizon 3. Why? Cred. Unity.

If we want another spurt, we need to do foreplay. I'm, personally, tired of banging the drum of collaboration and have ideas beyond our seemingly assigned station. We'll try to take the genre to places it hasn't been, to pastures new, but I'm tired of seeking approval. We're here, we're geared, get used to it.

Once the princesses tire of flirting with princes, outside of genre, maybe they'll work out their own kingdom needs some attention. Who knows? It's 2017; fairy godmothers don't give out durable footwear for free these days.

CDJay

DJ Sketchy

United Kingdom
407 posts
Posted - 2017/02/14 :  02:49:22  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Sketchy's homepage
Also to add. The awesome work you and the team at Hardcore Underground do, CDJay. Is the sort of effort which will put Hardcore back on the map. Your artist and industry albums you put out are nothing short of spectacular.

CDJay
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,049 posts
Posted - 2017/02/14 :  02:52:02  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CDJay's homepage
You sound suspiciously like my wife, and I paid her abductor and hypnotist well. Good work!

CDJay

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,072 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2017/02/14 :  05:22:43  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
Sketchy, there are some things in your statements that are complete off.

First off. Fracus & Darwin aren't blodoy newcomers, and not Mob either. Klubfiller is debatable since he's also been in the "higher" scene for a bit (and not just some random HU combilation :P)

And what the **** is AATW doing with Hardcore lately? Nothing, or are they hiding something from us? like 3 Clublanc Xtreme albums or something?

Also, are you taking queues from Donald Trump something? Your album will be great? that was his mantra the whole way through his election :D
So you will have to excuse me, But color me sceptical.

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Edited by - Samination on 2017/02/14 05:31:00
DJ Sketchy

United Kingdom
407 posts
Posted - 2017/02/14 :  06:05:39  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Sketchy's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
Sketchy, there are some things in your statements that are complete off.

First off. Fracus & Darwin aren't blodoy newcomers, and not Mob either. Klubfiller is debatable since he's also been in the "higher" scene for a bit (and not just some random HU combilation :P)

And what the **** is AATW doing with Hardcore lately? Nothing, or are they hiding something from us? like 3 Clublanc Xtreme albums or something?

Also, are you taking queues from Donald Trump something? Your album will be great? that was his mantra the whole way through his election :D
So you will have to excuse me, But color me sceptical.

No. I've known of Fracus & Darwin for years! They have certainly jumped up a few pegs in recent times though.

AATW are sat there wanting to invest. They seriously want the Hardcore scene to thrive, and are probably a bit frustrated with the present situation. They are doing the Clubland Weekender too.

My comments about my album sounding awesome are in my opinion. It's certainly different. I'm nervous for you guys to hear the finished article, as all the tracks are all directly based off my ideas.

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,072 posts

195 hardcore releases
Posted - 2017/02/14 :  06:42:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
If they want it to thrive, they have to do something about. I'm pretty sure they have a bigger range that could help more than whatever the "top tier" are doing now.

And you have to excuse me that I can't take any artist comments face value

ViolonC
Average Member

Germany
243 posts
ViolonC has attended 2 events
Posted - 2017/02/14 :  09:35:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit ViolonC's homepage
I think the answer is actually pretty simple. UK Hardcore never really had support on mainland Europe. With the rise of EDM there is a little traction in the US lately but anything else are British colonies (and Japan is another thing).

Jacco
Average Member

Unknown
166 posts
Posted - 2017/02/14 :  17:52:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Jacco's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ViolonC:
I think the answer is actually pretty simple. UK Hardcore never really had support on mainland Europe. With the rise of EDM there is a little traction in the US lately but anything else are British colonies (and Japan is another thing).

There was lot's of potential in Germany once. One of the big problems is that people just ****ing sit on their releases for ages but it's getting better thanks to HU. If you can't sort out younger DJs with new tunes then there will be less parties and that makes it harder to win new supporters.

djDMS
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
10,304 posts

572 hardcore releases
djDMS has donated money to the site djDMS has attended 43 events
Posted - 2017/02/14 :  18:14:37  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit djDMS's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Sketchy:
I suppose you could say the Hardcore scene has had 3 peaks (correct me if I'm wrong).

You're wrong, there has been 4.

There's Greg too

DJ_FunDaBounce
Advanced Member

Colombia
1,913 posts
Posted - 2017/02/14 :  19:10:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ_FunDaBounce's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by djDMS:
quote:
I suppose you could say the Hardcore scene has had 3 peaks (correct me if I'm wrong).

err, actually...

https://brightspeedrecordings.bandcamp.com/album/infinitys-peaks-the-album

https://soundcloud.com/fundabouncedj
https://brightspeedrecordings.bandcamp.com

Every Saturday night from 10-12 (Bogota/Colombia time)
https://www.twitch.tv/fundabouncedj

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,072 posts

195 hardcore releases
Posted - 2017/02/15 :  05:16:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
did you make that in advance so you could prove a point? :P

Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Triquatra is a site donation subscriber Triquatra has attended 26 events
Posted - 2017/02/15 :  08:35:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
one of my favourite peaks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saEcJSNcZTM

Cyrax
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
623 posts
Cyrax has attended 9 events
Posted - 2017/02/15 :  09:01:01  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Cyrax's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by djDMS:
quote:

There's Greg too

Nice :)

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 5 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.93 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page